Chapter 4 – The Price of Friendship
52 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atlas followed Jimmy around the town.

If Jimmy was going to pay the vendors back for the trouble he caused, he needed to prepare his belongings in his home.

"I keep all of my money at home, little master. We'll go pick it up real quick before we return the items."

As the two walked, they drifted farther and farther from the Burwicks' market.

Rather than taking the main streets, Jimmy opted for the alleys and obscure paths. What Atlas saw on these paths was another surprise to him. The alleys were another step down from the dull middle-class environment he was just in.

The alleys were filthy.

Old rain water pooled in the dips in the earth. Garbage was littered along the way. Rats scurried about with the confidence of lions.

The worst thing about these places were their stench. Atlas had never experienced smells such as these in his life. He only knew the fragrance of flowers and the sweet smell of his mother's perfumes. The child could barely handle the rotten stench, and he pinched his nose the entire way.

After an hour's walk, the boys came across a small, dirty tent. The tent was deep within the maze of alleyways. The tent was a simple tarp stretched along two bars. The canvas-like structure was then leaned against the back of an old shack. It was far from the main streets and well-hidden from the nobles' eyes. It was like Atlas was in an entirely different dimension.

Jimmy was not bothered by the dirty environment around him, and he casually entered the ragged tent.

Atlas hesitated. He didn't want to go inside the smelly tent, however, being alone outside wasn't much better. He pinched his nose shut and used his handkerchief to cover his free hand. He then hurried to open the tent in order to follow Jimmy inside.


"What do you think of commoner's life, young master?"

Jimmy was relaxed on a pile of dirty hay, eating an apple.

The inside of the tent was larger than it seemed outside. Thanks to Atlas's small size, he did not need to crouch or duck.

The tent was packed with all kinds of things. On the back right corner, here was the pile of hay which Atlas guessed was Jimmy's bed. At the back left corner, dirty clothes were piled together. To the front left corner was a small, wooden chest. The boy took a peak inside and found a few slices of hard bread, half eaten fruits, and a few pieces of cheese. Finally, on the right corner was another small chest. A strong stench that was not unlike the one in the alleys permeated from it. Atlas was about to open this chest as well, but was stopped Jimmy's voice.

"I wouldn't look in their if I were you."

The young Atlas stopped his attempt to peek inside, and patiently waited for Jimmy to make another move.

Jimmy took a few more bites of his apple before tossing out the tent's entrance. He then looked questioningly at Atlas.

"Do you want some? You can just grab what you like from the chest. Just sit back while I get the money."

With that, the freckled boy began digging through his hay bed.

Atlas was feeling a little hungry. The sky was already turning orange, and he hadn't eaten since breakfast. Despite his rumbling tummy, the boy didn't even consider eating Jimmy's food. Little Atlas didn't even think the "food" was edible when he looked at it.

Atlas just patiently stood by the tent entrance as Jimmy looked through his tent.

"Ummm, Jimmy, do you really live here? Do you eat this every day?"

Jimmy smirked at the question, but did not pause his work.

"Yup! I found this place a couple years back! I'm pretty good to have gotten all that food too, huh?"

Atlas was confused by his new friend's proud attitude. Was this really something to show off to people? If this was good, then Atlas was great! His home was bigger than this tent, and his food looked better too.

"What do you do for fun here?" asked Atlas.

Back in the castle, Atlas would paint colorful pictures, read funny stories in his father's book collection, and watch the servants. There was always something for him to do, that is, after he was done with his daily studies. He wondered what things his friend did.

"Fun? Well, I just explore the town. I collect more food, sell the things I -ahem- steal.... and I come home to rest. I guess the most exciting things I do is run from those vendors and barter with the old farts."

Atlas was even more confused by Jimmy's routine.

"You don't read or paint?"

Jimmy realized that the little noble had been living an entirely different life. By now, he had moved away all of the hay, and he was now digging into the earth.

"No way! Paint is expensive! If I had that money, I would use it for food. As for reading, books are expensive too!"

Jimmy furrowed his brows.

"I wouldn't be able to read anyways... not even if I wanted to. I never learned..... Not many of us commoners can read. You're pretty lucky to be a noble, little master."

It seems Jimmy found what he was looking for, and he soon pulled out a small tin box from the ground.

"C-can't you ask your parents to teach you? Maybe the servants can help you..."

Jimmy was silent as he opened the small, rusty box. A sigh escaped his mouth as the lid popped open.

"I don't have parents. I'm on my own out here."

Atlas was thoroughly confused none of Jimmy's words had made sense so far. What did he mean by "I don't have parents"? Atlas knew enough to know everyone comes from a mother and father.

"I-is that a commoner thing too? To not have parents, I mean."

Jimmy dumped the belongings in the box onto the floor. Among the trinkets and coins was a beautiful ring. The ring seemed like a star when compared with the tent's environment. It as surprisingly clean, almost to the point of shining. What was even more surprising was the large red gem resting on the top of the silver band.

"No, young master. Having no parents isn't a commoner things.... It's just a me thing, I guess."

Jimmy counted his coins over and over and finally sighed.

Atlas was still confused by Jimmy's answer, and he was about to ask further. Before he could ask, Jimmy spoke.

"Little master, it doesn't look like I have enough to pay back those vendors, but I have this ring. Could I sell it to you and have you pay them back for me? I honestly want to be your friend, and to do that it seems I need to be a "good" person by paying those old farts back."

Jimmy held the silver ring to Atlas.

"I'm not entirely sure how much it's worth... Mother never told me, but it should be enough. Will you buy it from me?"

Atlas stared at the ring. A sour feeling began to crawl in his stomach.

He wanted his friend to be a good person and to pay back the trouble he caused, but it seemed the only way he could do that was by selling this ring. Although Atlas was young and naive, he could tell that the ring meant a lot to Jimmy.

Would he really make his friend part ways from such a precious item? Is that what had to be done to be friends?

Atlas began rethinking his conditions. Maybe he should just let Jimmy be his friend..... but Atlas's father said good people will sacrifice their desires for others.... 

Atlas didn't know what to think.

Jimmy was still waiting for Atlas's answer when a loud shout came from outside the tent.

"Hey runt! You're here, right?!"

1