Chapter 6 – Racing Thoughts
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The answer is that you make way for it. You cower. You hide. Mutts shouldn't delude themselves into thinking they could challenge even the cub of a tiger."

Atlas smiled when he saw that his butler had arrived.

Now that Stephen was here, the thugs would go away! Then he and Jimmy could return the stolen money!

Atlas immediately stood up and ran to the old butler's side.

"Stephen! Those guy wanted to hurt me! They beat up Jimmy too! Stephen you have to help Jimmy!"

Stephen's face appeared blank. Not even the smallest reaction could be seen as Atlas explained the situation to him. It was as if an emotionless statue was standing before everyone. The butler's ghost-like eyes had a cold gaze as he looked over the thugs. His eyes were clear and empty as if he could see through them.

Although the butler had yet to do anything, the four thugs were frozen in fear. The color washed from their faces the moment they had heard the man address Atlas as "Master Everwish." Offending a noble was bad enough, but as long as they were just some wealthy family, they could get away by using their gang's influence. Offending the Everwish family, however, was an entirely different level. Offending the Everwish family was suicide! If the Everwish family sought punishment, the thugs could only hope they would be able to see the sun rise tomorrow.

Atlas looked pleadingly at his butler. Back at home, Stephen would help Atlas with everything. To the young noble, there was nothing this butler would reject.

The old butler grabbed a hold of Atlas's wrist and turned around. An emotionless voice escaped his throat.

"Let's go young master. Your mother is worried about you, and it's best we don't keep her waiting."

Atlas was surprised by Stephen's reply. He almost didn't believe him until he began dragging him away.

When Atlas realized that Stephen was serious about leaving, he began a frantic struggle to escape his grip.

"No! Stephen, if we leave now, they'll hurt Jimmy! They'll steal the money we were going to return! We can't leave now! Stephen, stop!"

No matter how hard little Atlas pulled, he could not free his hand from the butler's grip. Atlas continued to be dragged even with his flailing.

"Young master, think of how the other noble families would react if word of your excursion were to come out! The Everwish family would be a laughing stock! What noble family has trouble watching over it's only young master! Please understand our position and leave them.

Atlas continued to shout and struggle as they got farther and farther from the scene. Tears began to form at his eyes as he wailed, but the butler continued to ignore him.

Finally, just before they were out of sight of the thugs, Atlas let out a final shout.

"If we leave now, I won't be a good person! You won't be one either, Stephen! What noble can just ignore the bad around them?! Aren't nobles supposed to be good people?!"

Stephen stopped after hearing Atlas's last outburst. The butler stood without moving. After several breaths, he let out a sigh before turning back toward the thugs. His cold glare was like a readied bow pointing at their heads.

"Look, young master. These mutts have already lost their spirit just by hearing the name 'Everwish.' They definitely won't try anything else today, because if they did, they would only find endless regret. They seem to be leaving now anyways. There is nothing left for us to do here."

The butler's voice sent a shiver down the thugs' spines. They were able to figure out Stephen's warnings, and hurried to get out of his sight.

"Now then, young master, let's go see your mother."

Stephen was about drag the little noble again, but to his surprise, Atlas still wouldn't budge.

"We need to help Jimmy still.... They broke his home and he's hurt.... We should bring him back with us."

Stephen let out another sigh before walking over to the beaten boy who lay on the ground. With one arm, he slung the young teen over his shoulder, and with the other arm, he held onto Atlas's hand.

"Can we go now, young master?"


Instead of heading back to the market, the three went directly back to the castle. By the time they returned, the sun had already gone done. The little Atlas was tired, dirty, and hungry. He had been lost for half the day, after all.  All he wanted to do right now was relax, but there were still more pressing issue for him.

The three entered through the front gate and were soon accompanied by several servants.

"Young master, please go see your parents immediately. I'll take the boy to a room to be treated."

Stephen then took large steps down a hall and quickly disappeared.

Atlas was then alone with the many servants who stood at attention, ready to heed his commands. The boy looked around at the servants and asked,

"Where is mother and father?"

One of the maids respectfully answered.

"The master and madam are upstairs within their private quarters. They are awaiting your appearance, young master."

Atlas nodded before heading up the stairs alone.

He smelled like the dirty alleys and his belly was rumbling. Despite his discomfort, Atlas's priority was seeing his parents. He had left his mother without warning and hadn't returned until now. His parents were sure to be worried.

As he climbed the seemingly endless staircase, Atlas's nervousness grew. He must have made them worry a lot... He caused a lot of trouble outside too... Many thoughts began forming in his mind. Many doubts about how they would react to his actions surfaced. Each step he took echoed in his head like a drum.

Step.

Would they scold him?

Step.

Would they punish him?

Step.

Would they let him go out again?

Step.

Would he still be a good person?

Step.

Would they forgive him?

Step.

Tears began spilling from Atlas's eyes. He didn't care about the answers to his other questions. As long as they would forgive him, Atlas would be fine with any punishment. He didn't care if they scolded him. He didn't care if they punished him. He didn't care if he could never explore the town again. He didn't even care if he was still a good person! If his parents couldn't forgive him, then he would be drowned in his despair!

Before he even realized it, Atlas had approached a large, wooden door. The door was a beautiful display of art. Intricate patterns decorated its surface while gold bordered its frames. To the young Atlas, however, this elegant door was an imposing gate that signaled the end of his happiness.

Just beyond this door were his parents who had the answers to his questions.

Atlas stood in front of the door, unsure about what to do. Anxiety filled his body. He began to pace back and forth as if trying to flush his thoughts from his body. 

Maybe he shouldn't go inside. That way he wouldn't have to face his parent's disappointment.

The time the boy paced before the door felt like hours as hundreds of thoughts raced through his mind.

Open the door.

Don't open the door.

Open the door.

The boy's thoughts oscillated like this over and over again.

Finally, the boy took a deep breath and charged through.

No matter what, he couldn't keep hiding from his parents. He had to face them eventually, and the longer he avoided them, the more hurt they all would be.

1