12. A Maiden’s True Wish
439 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

 

Today was the big day, Azami had been waiting for this day for the past two weeks. She marked off the days on her calendar, each flick of the pen made her heart flutter. She felt like a child waiting on Christmas. Her azure blue eyes were shooting glances at Himiko, Who was a year older than her and was in the classroom across the hall. Himiko's long white ashen hair always fell around her so gracefully. To Azami, everything she did was elegant. She moved like a cherry blossom falling in the breeze. Her deep scarlet red eyes, to Azami there were oceans in her eyes. Azami Didn't hear a thing the teacher said today. She could care less about school because today was Tanabata, Star Festival.

         Most Tanabata, Azami didn't bother making a wish because there was nothing she really wanted. This year though, she had a wish to make. Himiko had asked her if she wanted to make a wish together, she could barely keep her enthusiasm down as she almost shouted yes. She wanted to scream and almost did a few times going home that day.

         The bell rang out, ending class for the day. Azami started to pack her things. She looked over at the hallway. Himiko was already waiting for her next to the door of her own classroom. Her eyes would look down at the school bag in her hands and would look up at Azami a few times while she waited. Himiko was a popular girl, and she was known for her alluring looks. A slight smirk on her face, she had a captivating smile too. For Himiko to be waiting on her! It felt like Azami's wish had already come true.

Azami Walked out into the hallway and stopped in front of Himiko.

"Senpai?" there was a timid excitement in her voice.

"Azami, let's go," Himiko said as she turned to walk down the hallway. Most days, she had a disinterested way of speaking, especially when talking to the boys in her class. Which was often since they would try to get her attention. They had asked her out countless times, and each time she turned them down with an almost cold

Indifferent. Today, however, Himiko had some optimism in her voice when she spoke. The two of them walked next to each other silently. There were groups of other students that ran past them, each wrapped up in their own conversations.

         The two had walked a block or two when Azami Was gazing at Himiko like she was spellbound. She was hoping to get a read on what she was thinking. Himiko was a complex person for anyone to read, let alone someone that was as socially awkward as Azami. Azami Didn't know why she had asked her to go to the wishing tree as the two had only talked a few times before today. Himiko was looking off into the distance. She had a detached look on her face, but you could see that her mind was deliberating on some thought like she was starting a chalkboard filled with some long math equation. Azami looked at her with some concern. That was when Himiko had solved whatever dilemma she had. Himiko Looked into Azami's sky blue eyes. She could see the almost childlike admiration in them. Azami Saw herself as a fly on the wall or a mouse trying to frantically not get stepped on. Like the world would pass her over without a second thought.

For Himiko, however, she could light up a room like the sun. She wanted to scoop up that little mouse into her hands and show her the world that would pass her over. She wanted to feel her heart beating against her own, to touch that golden hair of hers and feel her fingers moving through it. She would say anything to make those bright blue eyes just a little more brilliant. Azami Didn't think that anyone would look at her if she smiled. She didn't know that to Himiko, her smile was like the moon that filled her otherwise dark and empty night sky and that she would chase the sun away to see that smile. She wanted to tell Azamithat there was an ocean of thoughts and feelings for her, she wanted to show her that not even the stars could count the ways she loved her. She hoped to one day find the courage to say it.

She had to look away for a moment like she was bracing herself. She swallowed a little before reaching out. Azami Could feel her fingertips gently grazing her own. There was nervous electricity in them, even if their movements were slight. As she brushed her own fingertips against them, she could feel the longing that was in them. She could feel that there was so much more behind this one little act, like the first few raindrops of a storm.

Azami Stopped walking, her whole body tensed up, her face lit up a cherry red, as she looked at the ground startled, she looked like a little kitten scared by its own shadow. She didn't pull back her fingers back from Himiko's however, Himiko stopped walking too. She turned to talk to her, the disappointment washed over her face as she tried to find a way to give an anxious apology.

The words fumbling out of her mouth, "I am sorry, I wasn't trying to… I didn't mean to."

As the words awkwardly came out of her mouth. Azami Had a smile on her face as her fingers Slipped between Himiko's. She looked up. There was this pleased look on her face.

"It's ok, senpai, I just wasn't expecting it, that's all." There was a comforting tone to the way she spoke.

As she held her hand, giving it a small reassuring squeeze, It made Himiko's heart skip a beat, her own cheeks turning a little red too. Neither of them let go of the other's hand for the rest of the walk. They both slowed down as they walked like both of them wanted to draw out the moment a little longer. They both exchanged bashful glimpses and smiles at each other. Both of them seemed to be in disbelief that they both felt the same way. They looked content to be in the moment with each other.

The temple where the wishing tree was, was washed in the summer sun, and since it was still the afternoon, it was not busy. The modest red building that was the temple overlooked a small courtyard lined with rows of white bricks. A bamboo thicket surrounded the whole thing, and there was a short set of worn stone steps that lead up to the cherry red shrine gate. There were a few tiny wishing trees to one side of the courtyard, the trees were covered in a rainbow of colored papers. Next to the trees was a table with blank papers in many different colors, with few pens. The two of them put a few coins into the donation box, sitting on the table next to the pens and papers.

Azami Knew what she wanted to wish for, but she had trouble finding the words to write. She would tap the pen on the table, trying to think, staring at the blank paper. She looked over at Himiko, who also looked like she was having trouble too. Himiko looked back at her.

"can't think of what to wish for, too?"

"yeah," said Azami With a small sigh

Himiko looked down at the blank papers and thought for a moment.

"Why don't we go do something else and come back later?" Himiko said while putting both of their papers into her bag.

"I would like that" there was a smile on Azami's face as she said it.

          There was an arcade down the street that Himiko brought her to. It was not the most significant arcade like the ones that a large city might have, but it was still one of the most prominent places in town since most kids and high schoolers would go there. It was packed as school had just let out about an hour ago. There were people playing light gun games and rhythm games of all kinds, and many of their classmates were there. A few of them would look at Himiko and then whisper to each other. The sounds and lights from the games made it a somewhat loud scene. Himiko and Azami had to speak up or lean into each other's ears to hear each other. Despite being on the track and field team and one of the best athletes in the school, Himiko was awful at most arcade games. Azami, on the other hand, was superb at them. She had a few high scores on some of the games here. She let Himiko win at most of the games, she was the more competitive of the two.

They spent the rest of the afternoon and a good part of the evening there. Himiko was not the type to smile much, but she had a tiny one on her face each time she looked at Azami. Being around her just put her at ease in a way that she couldn't explain. She also kept looking for reasons to get close to Azamiand whisper something into her ear. It didn't really matter what she had to say. She just loved seeing the look on Azami's face like her heart was skipping a beat each time she did it. There were even a few times that Azami would whispers into her ear as well. She would make a cute little giggle each time too. Himiko would feel her own heart skip a beat. As the two of them walked around the arcade, they would be holding hands or linking arms as they led each other to different games each one wanted to play.

For the two of them, it felt like they were playing a different kind of game alongside ones in the arcade, like each one trying to feel out the other. It was like desires that they had kept locked away for both of them to come out, like passionate secrets that were long buried now able to come into the light. The two had become so enthralled with each other that they had forgotten about the time. And the sun had set a few hours ago. As they left the arcade, Azami had linked arms with Himiko, she was giggling as she stepped outside. The two started to walk home when Himiko remembered the wishing tree.

"We still didn't make our wishes." She looked at Azami; there was a warmness in her voice as she spoke.

14