Chapter 3 – Smart Man
67 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Doctor Xu, why is my Bro not waking up again,” An anxious voice drifted into Ling Feng’s ears, rousing him from his sleep, “He was well awake last night, talking to me normally!”

“Young man, I, too, have the same questions as you,” the old man frowned as he checked the condition of the young man, “All of his external injuries and scars have healed; even his internal injuries have disappeared without leaving behind any sequela. It is also my first time witnessing something like this. I can’t think…” The old man’s words got stuck in his mouth as his entire body trembled and fear appeared in his eyes, “Unless, he…” He dared not say it out loud.

“Doctor Xu, what is it? Just say it!” Wang Xiao’s anxiousness increased, and he yelled at the doctor, “Unless what?”

Wang Xiao was being tormented by anxiousness for quite some time. After waking up early in the morning, Wang Xiao freshened up and then hurried to the nearby market, some distance away from the hospital, to get breakfast for himself. It had become his routine while staying in the hospital for an entire month. After he had his breakfast and was about to return, he suddenly recalled that his Bro had already woken up last night.

Immediately, he returned to the market and bought some light food for his brother. Since the market was near a hospital, there were a lot of people who came to buy food for patients, so finding something for his brother wasn’t a big deal. There were quite a few shops selling food that suited patients. Paying for the food, he rushed back to the hospital and arrived at the ward where he and his Bro stayed.

Entering, he realized that his Bro was still asleep. At first, he didn’t care much as it was only 7 in the morning. Since his brother only woke up last night, it was normal for him to sleep longer because of weakness. But even after waiting a few hours, his Bro didn’t wake up. There was no movement from him, and he appeared to be the same as when he was in a deep sleep.

Wang Xiao started to get anxious and immediately went to Ling Feng’s side and tried to wake him up, but his efforts were to no avail. No matter how much he shouted, Ling Feng didn’t wake up. Wang Xiao only shouted for him to wake up, he dared not push him awake, afraid of worsening his injuries.

His anxiousness increased with every passing moment, and he immediately rushed to get Doctor Xu. After Doctor Xu came with him to check his Bro’s condition, his words shocked Wang Xiao. His Bro’s internal and external injuries had already healed miraculously, all the scars had disappeared, and his health was even better than before. But even then, he was still asleep. Wang Xiao couldn’t accept this. Since he was better than before, why was he still not awake.

“Young man, there are some things that I can’t say, and you shouldn’t ask either,” Xu Dingfeng sighed, “Sometimes, not knowing is better than knowing, lest you bring a disaster upon you…”

“Cough!”

As Xu Dingfeng was speaking, his words were interrupted by a low coughing sound. Immediately, both Xu Dingfeng and Wang Xiao’s vision shifted toward’s the young man lying on the bed beside them. The young man slowly opened his eyes.

“Bro! you are awake,” Wang Xiao exclaimed with joy, “Thank god! you are awake. If you didn’t wake up, I wouldn’t know what to do!” Wang Xiao felt his heart become lighter. The anxiousness eating at his mind disappeared as well. Since his Bro woke up, he couldn’t care less about Doctor Xu’s inexplicable nonsense.

-----

Ling Feng had already become conscious some time ago. He could hear everything around him. Since he was already awake, he decided to check his body’s internal condition first.

But, before he could carefully examine himself, he realized Doctor Xu had started to spout incomprehensible nonsense, while Wang Xiao’s voice now had a hint of irritation inside it. Ling Feng knew well of his Bro, Wang Xiao’s, temper. Don’t look at this guy’s stupid appearance and worried expression, that was only before Ling Feng and his Sis. In reality, this guy was all brawn and no brain; very impatient, too. It sounded harsh, but it was the truth.

If Doctor Xu wasn’t checking Ling Feng’s condition, this guy might have started to fight the old man in his impatience. Ling Feng was afraid of him getting too impatient and smacking the old doctor, so he immediately coughed to get their attention. As for Xu Dingfeng’s nonsense, he didn’t understand either. All he understood was that his injuries were gone, just like he predicted last night before being knocked unconscious.

-----

Ling Feng sat up and reclined on the back of the bed. He yawned and stretched his body, “What happened? I was having a nice sleep.” He looked towards Wang Xiao and asked lazily, “What are you so anxious for?”

When he woke up last night, he didn’t take a good look at Wang Xiao. Only now, with all his injuries and pain gone, did he look at him carefully. The once energetic and enthusiastic guy had thinned a lot, his complexion was much paler, his hair was in a mess, and under his eyes were dark circles. He looked much worse than before; he looked like an abandoned pup — well, that’s how he appeared in Ling Feng’s eyes. No one else would think like that.

It seemed that this guy was quite worried about him and didn’t get any good sleep or food over the last month. ‘Ai, if only I had such good brothers before, I wouldn’t have ended up like that.’ Ling Feng thought with a sigh as he remembered his bitter end.

“Bro, aren’t I anxious for you,” Wang Xiao immediately sat on the stool beside Ling Feng’s bed and cried with a wronged expression, “I thought you weren’t going to wake up again! Bro, if something happened to you, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself!”

“Alright,” Ling Feng patted Wang Xiao on his head and said with a tone of an elder brother talking to his little brother, “Didn’t Doctor Xu say all my injuries have healed already? There’s no need to be worried anymore; I feel even better than before.”

After speaking to a few more words to Wang Xiao, Ling Feng turned to the old doctor standing on the side, “Thank you, Doctor Xu, for your care!”

“Ah, no need, no need, I only did my job!” Doctor Xu immediately waved his hands and said, “I only played a minor role. It was Sir’s natural ability to recover that played the most crucial role!” Being thanked by the man in front of him made Doctor Xu feel overwhelmed. He didn’t dare put on any airs. In his mind, he had already believed that the young man before him was one of those special yet scary people he had heard about before.

Getting to see one was a fortune he wouldn’t dare ask for, so how could he accept his thanks, “It is this Xu’s fortune to be able to help Sir, Sir needs not to thank me!”

Looking at the old man’s inexplicable actions, Ling Feng and Wang Xiao were stunned. ‘What the heck happened? This guy wouldn’t have gone insane, right?’ was the thought they both had. Neither of them could make heads or tails of his actions. Especially Wang Xiao, this guy was thoroughly stunned by the respectful expression of Doctor Xu. He was the one who dealt with this old guy the most. Although the old guy wasn’t arrogant, he still had the air of superiority around him, seeming as if he was an old sage who had seen through life and death. Yet now, here he was, acting so respectful!

Even though Wang Xiao was all brawn, he was still someone from an aristocratic family. The old man before him had the exact expression, that others made before his Sis and father, of fear and reverence. ‘Damn! Just when did Bro become so great? He subdued this old man without even acting! Respect!’ Wang Xiao’s respect for Ling Feng increased by a notch. ‘Indeed, my Bro is the greatest! He even subdued the great me, so what is this old man?’ Thinking ’till here, Wang Xiao started to laugh in his heart.

Ling Feng, on the other hand, couldn’t understand what was going on. This old guy didn’t sound so respectful yesterday, so how come he changed so much in a single night? Or was he just like this and he, Ling Feng, failed to see it yesterday? Whatever, since he was respectful, it was a good thing. Now, the only thing remaining was how to explain his sudden recovery. Heck! Even he didn’t quite understand what happened last night.

“Doctor, about my injuries…” Ling Feng decided to test the waters and see what the old man thought about his recovery. But before he could finish his words, he was interrupted by Xu Dingfeng’s words.

“Sir, please rest assured — this old man saw nothing, heard nothing, and knows nothing,” Xu Dingfeng immediately said with great conviction. He had misjudged Ling Feng’s intention and thought that Ling Feng wanted to threaten him to keep his mouth shut, “There is no patient in the hospital resembling you, the 9th ward on the third floor is just a storage room.”

Listening to Xu Dingfeng’s words, Ling Feng was stunned, Wang Xiao was even more stunned. Xu Dingfeng, on the other hand, praised himself in his heart for being a smart man.


Ya! I hope you liked this chapter. Do leave a comment, it will be most appreciated. Also, don't feel shy or bad when leaving criticism. Honest criticism is always welcome. If you can't wait for the next chapter, head over to https://arou.ga and read ahead.

4