Chapter 69 – A Sixth Circle Mage (Part 2)
196 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well then, please stop by some other time, you will always be welcome at the Iphelleta House.” Iris spoke politely to Rebethra, as Nainiae received the gift that Rebethra had presented for me.

“Well, if I feel like it, I will.” Rebethra nodded his head.

“Well, be careful on your trip back.” I said to the High Priest.

“Young Master, I’ll be praying for your well being as well.”

After seeing the Holy Temple’s carriage leave the mansion, I turned around and glanced at the gift box that Nainiae was holding.

“He is making it too obvious.” I spoke with a quiet chuckle.

Nainiae looked at the gift box in her grasp, she tilted her head, and asked, “What’s so obvious?”

“His official story is that he’s here to check up on my mother’s illness, but his actual business is something else--what do you think that was?”

“Ahh.”

It seems that Nainiae, who was still looking at the gift box, opening her mouth with a blank stare, “Is this about that thing that Pricia…I mean Priestess Pricia said last time?”

She had become friends with Pricia when she was at the Temple, so she usually called her by name--but she quickly corrected herself, because Iris didn’t know about that.

“Yeah, it’s about that.” I nodded and responded.

It was about the Divine Message.

“The real reason he came here was to give the gift as a bribe.

“Bribe…”

I was walking with my fingers locked together behind my head.

“Of course I won’t do it--for two reasons. The first being that I am Enda’s friend--and I don’t kill friends…second, it’s troublesome.”

“As I thought.” Nainiae nodded.

“He dares think I’m a tool…He must be thinking that he could take advantage of me if he gives me a few bribes. He doesn’t seem to realize that I know what he’s planning.”

It seems that the nobility of this world have a strange sense of pride--they always repay a favour. So, it seems that Rebethra is trying to invoke that feeling of obligation in me.

However…unfortunately for them, they are trying it on someone like me.

As if she was indicating that she understood my thoughts, she used the Spatial Bracelet, as we nicknamed it, she quickly stored the gift in it.

“Young Master, after this, I was thinking that we could have a lesson until it’s time for b-bed…What do you think?”

“Sure.” I smiled and headed towards the library--Nainiae followed along with excited steps and contented smile.

***

“She is a Sixth Circle Mage? What nonsense.”

“...”

They were in Ryan’s room.

The truth about Nainiae, the fact that she is the Sixth Circle Mage who played the largest part in the suppression of Solia’s Grand Mage Astroa, became known by everyone in mansion--Lloyd was in a state of panic.

“Jeez, like I said before--I thought that there was something more to her…If this is the case, then what I saw before makes sense too.”

“Lloyd.”

“She used Magic! She used Magic to obliterate the training dummy in a single strike! She must have used Wind Magic to…”

“Lloyd.”

Having heard his name being called for a second time, Lloyd finally shut up.

He turned and looked at his brother.

“For now, just proceed.” Ryan said.

“...I understand.” Lloyd sighed and answered.

“Annabelle, did you know about this?” Ryan asked Annabelle, who was sitting in front of him.

Annabelle hesitantly nodded, “I-I knew she was a Mage…I didn’t know that she was of the Sixth Circle.”

She wasn’t even any normal Sixth Circle Mage--she was a powerful practitioner who brought down the Grand Mage Astroa in a single hit.

“Just how? How did Riley get…”

“It must have something to do with the Medal of Honour that he received.”

Just like his father, Ryan began to tap on the table in front of him, it was his habit when he was very deep in thought.

“What are you going to do? We can’t just sit and watch. We need to achieve a great exploit of our own…” Lloyd asked his brother worriedly.

They had to win the competition for successorship--this was the only way to bring back their mother, who was kicked out.

In this situation, the news about Riley having Nainiae, a Sixth Circle Mage who wants to serve him, wasn’t pleasant for them to hear.

“Aha! I heard that there is a Dark Mage that’s wreaking havoc all over the place and causing headaches. How about we kill them and take the head in to prove it.” Lloyd spoke enthusiastically.

Ryan sighed with a calm face.

It wasn’t that he couldn’t understand what his little brother was feelings--however, it would be virtually impossibly to actually carry out the plan.

“In that case, why not just tell people that the girl named Nainiae is the Dark Mage? It just so happens that her appearance…” Lloyd gave an idiot.

“That won’t work.” Annabelle quietly shook her head, “I personally called someone from the Magic Tower and asked--her exploit has been officially, and she was even considered a candidate for becoming the Master of the Magic Tower. Because of this…I don’t think your idea would be possible.”

“Ha!” Lloyd, acting frustrated, got up from his char--he started to grind his teeth and punched towards the wall…He couldn’t think of any way to handle the situation with Nainiae.

“Damn it…”

“Lloyd, what’s today’s date?”

“Today?”

Having heard his brother’s question, Lloyd, tilted his head--unable to answer the question.

Watching this, Annabelle responded instead, “To be exact, summer will be starting tomorrow. But why are you asking?”

Summer.

Thinking about the season, which was about to soon change, Ryan narrowed his eyes.

 

***

Having finished dinner, Nainiae and I were back in the library, for me to study Magic. There were a few books on laid on the table, already open--they were the only books on Magic that the library contained, they were hidden deep in the stacks of books kept in a locked storeroom.

We were studying Time Magic.

“Time Magic…it really is an interesting area of study, I think there are many ways that the Magic can be utilized--if we were to properly research it.”

Although Nainiae was a Sixth Circle Mage, but even she didn’t know much about Time Magic. Because of this, Nainiae had to study it first before she could teach me.

“Things like the traveling speed of Magic is generally fixed, with Light Magic being almost instant when in the form of a beam, and Lightning Magic also being very fast. However, theoretically, if you utilize Time Magic--I think that it would be possible to shoot a fireball that would be fast enough to be undetectable by our eyes.”

Nainiae’s memory was almost perfect--though it may be because of the drugs tested on her--she was reciting things that she knew of and things she had figured out.

“I see.” I listened to her mumbling, sitting on the couch as she knelt by the table--she was writing certain parts of all six books into one notebook, along with her theories and deductions.

She was doing this so that I could use it to learn, and she could also cement the knowledge in her head.

Nainiae suddenly said a Magic Formula, and then asked me what it was.

“It’s the Second Circle Spell, Slow.”

“That’s correct.” She turned and smiled at me--giving me a thumbs up, “Now, practice the Spell until your Second Circle forms.”

I did, all I was doing was practicing the Formula, using a slightly tipped jug; I would Slow down each drop as they fell. I had to focus the Magic, aiming it, and sustain it.

“Well done, Young Master--at this pace, you will be able to get to the next step very soon.” Nainiae spoke in a pleased tone--she seems to have been distracted, she was sitting back against the table and just watching me.

“When will we get to the next step?”

“I’ll teach you the next step when either: you can make the falling water stay in the air for two seconds--or until your Second Circle forms.”

I went back to repeatedly casting the spell, but couldn’t help but mumble, “Now that I think about it, it’s going to be summer soon.”

“It will be.”

“It will be hot, right?”

“It well be.”

Nainiae was speaking quietly, her eyes flickering between my Magic and face, she seems to have finished her writing.

“I hate hot weather.” I sighed.

“Don’t worry, Young Master! I can make it cool for you!” Nainiae tightened her fists and spoke in an enthusiastic tone, forming two spells, one above each hand, “Cool, Wind.”

I paused the Magic practice and leaned forwards--and fluffed her hair; she smiled and looked down, releasing her Mana and pushing her hand up against my hand.

“Well, we will sort it out when the time comes.” I smiled at her, before getting up, “Well, I will finish this tomorrow--come on, let’s go to bed.”

I got up and left the library, Nainiae following along behind me--tomorrow, I will form my Second Circle.

2