Chapter 37.5. A Leader’s Resolve.
1.4k 14 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
GRAPHICAL WARNING! GRAPHICAL WARNING!

The Vampire Empress.

Chapter 37.5. A Leader’s Resolve.

 

The loud sounds of metal marching echoed throughout our surroundings. The sound of torches and footsteps rumbled through our ears. We were visibly trembling as we looked out from the bushes that we hid under, staring at the very small gaps between each leaf.

 

“Are you okay?” I looked towards one of my party members who had several wounds on each of his shoulders.

 

“I am fine…” he responded while the others wrapped the wounds with some cloth.

 

“How did knights of another kingdom arrive here with hostility?” our healer who was a long-haired nun mumbled with a fearful expression. My eyes frowned as my hands both unconsciously fisted themselves.

 

What had been a normal adventuring time was thrown into tragedy…. Those pesky knights suddenly came out from the deep woods and attacked us. I was angry but I can’t do anything about it as we were outnumbered by a large amount.

 

“What else would their reason be, they are trying to invade the kingdom… we need to tell the lady as soon as possible…” I bit my lip with a heavy sigh.

 

If we fail to notify the town, who knows how many deaths would arise from this… I doubt we’d also avoid a full war against the opposing kingdom with this kind of situation. I looked at my party members who were heavily depressed.

 

A lot of them have families they want to protect, one of them was even carrying a child because we thought it’d be a simple quest where we can head back immediately after. My heart aches thinking about the consequences if we were found by these soldiers.

 

My hand was trembling as the sound of metals marching became louder and louder. I felt like punching myself for bringing my party members into danger. I didn’t know what to do… I felt hopeless under such a scale of danger.

 

“Hey… can all of you run?” I looked at them with a serious gaze.

 

All of them were a bit surprised but nodded as our short-haired little assassin asked with a pale look, “How are we supposed to run when there are hundreds of them?” bringing along the mood of everyone as I patted her head.

 

“Trust me… I am your leader,” I smiled bravely in front of them.

 

It was now my responsibility to keep them safe… it was always my responsibility as their leader to keep all of them safe. I know what I must do, and I must fulfill on it, “When I tell all of you to run, keep running okay? Don’t look back… Tell the guards back at the town about the dangers…”

 

“All of you have families to go back to. You must protect your dearest families, that’s why don’t look back and keep running until all of you exit the forest. There will be a lot of parties and high-ranking adventurers waiting there, do you all understand?” I looked at them with a serious gaze.

 

“What about you?” our heaviest armored person asked.

 

“You don’t have to worry about me. I will follow after all of you, don’t worry. Do you all understand what I am saying?” I said before he looked at me with a bit of a sad look for a second but nodded anyway as the rustling sounds of metal got even louder.

 

I looked at my sword and shield before taking a deep breath as I shouted, “RUN!” while standing up with my shield covering us.

 

Almost immediately, all of them ran as I immediately poured mana onto my shield and sword which cast a bright blue blinding light that took all of the hundreds of soldiers by surprise. I didn’t waste this opportunity and swung my giant sword diagonally.

 

“ENEMY ATTACK!” several of them screamed.

 

The sword sliced through several of them, causing a bloody scene as all of their attention was onto me. As to ensure that none of my party members were to be caught, I immediately followed the attack with a taunt spell.

 

“COME AT ME, YOU PIECE OF SH*TS!” I screamed while lowering down my shield as all of them came rushing towards me like crazed men, wielding their long spears and swords as I ran towards them with my sword.

 

All of them swung their weapons towards me to which I immediately put up my shield, blocking most of them as I quickly followed up with a counterattack. The counterattack managed to push back dozens of them as screams reverberated throughout the forest.

 

“AAAAAAAAAAH!” Pain rushed into me as a rain of arrows came flying towards me, piercing through the gaps of my armor.

 

I didn’t give in and ran forward while utilizing all my mana to its extreme. I understood that there was no more backing off from here.

 

“YOU PIECE OF SH*TS!” I yelled before throwing away my shield which was hindering my movement a lot before thrusting my sword straight down to the ground as mana covered the entire sword, blasting away everything around me.

 

But that was about everything I could do… As another giant rain of arrows came flying towards me, I looked behind for a second and simply smiled as there was not a single one of my party members left behind.

 

‘Sorry, everyone… I hope all of you can live happily…’ tears fell from my eyes as I turned my attention back towards the wave of enemies that were rushing towards me. A rain of arrows fell towards me, striking me in every part that you can think of.

 

Pain floored my mind. My body fell to the ground in slow motion while the sight of hundreds of soldiers stabbing my body like some kind of barbeque unfolded. I watched the horrific scene without feeling anything, blood slowly covered my sight as all my senses dulled before everything died down peacefully.

And that is that for this chapter, the next one is bloody.

I've been releasing quite a lot of chappies on Patreon (almost 50 chapters ahead at this point), been wondering whether it's time to go back to once every 2 days upload, also: https://patreon.com/Mihou

50