Chapter 5: Not even worth trying
376 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She simply sighed at me and shook her head.

"Didn't know you were dense to this level... To this day you still surprise me. Even more surprising is your sudden interest in socializing."

That was... oddly rude? Well, whatever, not my problem right now.

"So that would mean about everyone here?" I gestured with my lips, exaggerating it a bit so she could tell easier.

She gave a faint, wry smile, looking at me with both sympathy and annoyance. Even she, behind her calm, professional demeanor showed a few cracks to me. Putting a hand on my shoulder, she stared deeply into me before speaking in a much more serious, inflexible tone.

"I told you it was a bad idea to make your research public. The church recently had started to pressurize the family into a less powerful position. So that's another giant entity to struggle against. And what did the research bring you...?" 

I think I get the general gist of it. The previous owner of this body had researched something, presumably tested it on himself and somehow made our souls transfer or something, alongside with these weird side effects.

She went on "Well, as long as you help my sister, it is all water under the bridge for me. And hey, at least you're somewhat liked by a few of the regulars at Cevaldin. Business has even improved a little recently, outside from all the proposed bans and restrictions the nobility wants to put on it it's looking rather well."

'Yep, still just all shit, keep it coming, what's the next bad news.' I started to think to myself.

My aching body only increased the frustrating feeling. Staying alive just felt... futile.

I just want to go back at this point, but my life there has already ended. Now this is all that remains. Well, guess I'm fucked no matter what I do then.

"Got any books for me to read?"

"6 books in total are present in this household, of those you own 2, shall I bring them here?"

"Sure."

Might as well do something to pass the time, I guess.

 

 

14