Chapter 72: Wisdom and Vision
7.4k 22 218
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 72: Wisdom and Vision

 

Cecilia sat on her couch as she eyed Maria. She had just finished telling her everything. How she intended to wed that knight and that she had no intention to inherit the throne if her title got in the way of that. How she was even considering running away if Cecilia opposed this plan of action. A bold thing to say to an Empress, some would even argue that it was… very, very stupid.

Cecilia could see Maria was eyeing her tentatively, as if afraid of her answer. In truth Cecilia was perfectly fine with this arrangement, it in fact simplified matters significantly.

Although Cecilia did care for her cousin she was not the type of woman that was overly sentimental. She knew a piece of leverage when she saw one. Cecilia needed Maria on the throne, who she has children with isn’t really that much of an issue. She was the Empress, her word was law, as long as the major political figures remained on her side she could do whatever she wanted. They wouldn’t care if Maria married someone significantly below her social class, this was a trivial matter as it didn’t impact them. It would ruffle the feathers of some aspiring bachelors but they were of a minor concern. 

The politics of low lords and ladies were now beneath her, for she was now playing the game of Empires not low politics. Her policy was simple, if she even gets a whiff of treason from the lords and ladies under her. Well then there will be empty holdings to redistribute. Her empire will be run with an iron fist and a hundred thousand snarling maws as a deterrent to any treachery. 

Cecilia needed Maria to agree to submit to her friend's mental examination. It was both in Cecilia’s and Maria’s best interest for her to do so. So here comes the solution, Cecilia will agree to the match. In exchange Maria will allow her friend into her mind and she will take her place as ruler of Averlin or Western Voleria, depending on her preference.

“I see… well I see no issue with that.” Cecilia said and Maria’s eyes widened in shock.

“Really?” Maria asked as if barely able to believe it.

“Yes, but Maria, you are aware that being truly free isn’t possible.” Cecilia said as she reached out to take her hand.

“Even I am beholden to the rigours of politics, to the whims of High Heaven. The only difference is who you answer to and to how many people you answer to. You understand that if you decide to give up your title my hands will be tied on how much aid I can give you. I cannot publically support you or your family if you give up your title.” Cecilia said.

“Rowan said he would find work, perhaps as an adventurer.” Maria replied.

“Adventurers are about to become obsolete in my Empire. With the Great Beast’s Hive, monsters are no longer a problem. The adventurers will be repurposed into a combat unit that excels in fighting alongside the soldiers of the Hive.

Perhaps he can find work as a common soldier or a mercenary. But all of the above occupations carry a significant element of risk. His only marketable skill is his abilities with a sword. If the two of you go down this path he may very well die.” Cecilia said as Maria lowered her head.

“If he dies then what? How are you going to provide for yourself? What if you have children? You can’t let them starve so what are your marketable skills Maria? As a Royal Princess you are trained in statecraft, etiquette, politics and the fine appreciation of high society. None of which will be of any use to you once you relinquish your title. Did I leave anything out?” Cecilia asked and Maria shook her head.

“I actually did leave something out. Your body.” Cecilia said and Maria visibly flinched.

“If anyone takes one look at you they will know you are a royal, our hair and eyes are quite the indicator of our lineage. There is a good chance you may be forced to whore yourself to support your children. Even if none of that happens, your husband will be away for long periods of time. That means you will be vulnerable during those periods of time. With beauty like yours you will be a desirable target for rapists. Everyone wants to bed a royal, if I announced that I wanted to take someone into my bed the line of applicants would stretch over the horizon.

Yes I punish rapists with the death penalty. Convicted rapists get sent to the Black Box, their bodies used to create more labourers and soldiers within the Great Beast’s hive. Their flesh and bodies are repurposed to serve the Empire in death. 

Do you know I still catch rapists and I still have to cart them over to the Black Box? Some people just can’t control themselves, they get drunk or they are just stupid. There will always be people like that and you do not want their attention on you.” Cecilia said and Maria bit her lip in response.

“Frankly cousin, that is a horrendous plan. Which is why I wish to ensure you will not have to take that risk. I offer you two titles of your choice. I offer you the Duchy of Averlin or the Duchy of Western Voleria, which is the territory formerly owned by Tralis. I plan to scrub the Tralis name from history by the time I’m done with them.

For the Duchy of Averlin you will rule from your ancestral seat but I will carve a very generous piece of Tralis’s former territory for you. Come, let me show you what I mean.” Cecilia said as she stood up and offered Maria her hand.

Cecilia led her over to a table that held a map showing the local region.

 

1WQT8WK.jpg

 

“Look Maria, Tralis has nine towns. If you choose the Duchy of Averlin I will give you the three towns on the southern coast and your border will end at Beralis. Then when I take Jaria I will give you their territory as well. Once all of this is done, you will rule a powerful trading territory that controls the flow of all Dwarven goods from Ironhammer.

If you decide to take the Duchy of Western Voleria I will have you create a new house that will rule the former seat of Old Voleria. But I understand that you have some aversion to that region. I know you have wished to never actually lay eyes on that city. If you do not accept the seat of Western Voleria I will divide the region into smaller states so that none can overcome the other.” Cecilia explained and Maria’s eyes widened at her words.

“With a single stroke I will make you one of the most powerful women in the Empire. What do you say?” Cecilia asked as she looked at Maria.

“How will you make the Dwarves trade with us? They are always hesitant to involve themselves with us humans.” Maria asked as she looked up curiously. Showing a glimpse of her capable mind, even if it was buried under a year's worth of trauma.

“I will force them to the table…” Cecilia said as she picked up her glass of blood red wine and took a sip.

“The Great Beast’s Hive are burrowers. The Dwarves live underground…” Cecilia replied with a casual shrug.

“They will come around, or I will bury them under their mountain.” Cecilia said as she put the glass of wine back down.

“But why me? I’m a disgraced Princess. If I wasn’t a royal I would be unmarriable. Some would even say I am tainted.” Maria replied in slight confusion.

“Because you are my family and you are my blood. Also you say you are tainted but I don't see it that way. When I look at you I don’t see a harlot, I see a woman who was willing to do anything to protect those she held dear. Yes you cracked a little considering the whole matter with Rowan but that brute Silas is famously cruel. If anything, for you to last so long is something to be lauded in my eyes.

I need someone capable, rumours say you have a talent for statecraft. You are my blood so I know I can trust you. Also… your appointment is a stress test…” Cecilia said.

“A stress test?” Maria asked as she tilted her head in confusion.

“Like you said your title and husband will cause some problems. Minor problems but problems nonetheless. I am actually hoping problems do end up cropping up.” Cecilia replied calmly.

“You hope there will be problems?” Maria sputtered in response.

“Yes, think about it Maria. I am the Empress, I have an ancient beast as a loyal friend, said beast has a hundred thousand fearless and absolutely loyal soldiers. My dear friend’s soldiers live only to obey. I have the best spy master in the region and I am giving her a level of funding all other spymasters can only dream of. She can outbid every agent out there in the world. That ability alone has implications and it makes it easier to turn spies to our side. After all, every spy will be questioning if the other spies have been bought out. In addition she has access to monsters that my dear friend can provide for her operations.

I can kill someone from the front as easily as I can from the back. My power is absolute in this Empire. My word is truth, my word is law. As far as the Averlonian Empire is concerned the seas rise when I give the word. So tell me, who would be willing to test me over something like your title and marriage?” Cecilia asked.

“Fools…” Maria replied as she caught on to her meaning.

“Exactly, incompetent lord and ladies are more dangerous to my empire than any foreign army. They won’t be able to touch you, I will see to that. I just need them to stick their heads where it doesn’t belong and then I will do the rest. Do not worry cousin, you will be very well guarded.” Cecilia said as she snapped her fingers and Maria watched as dozen invisible beasts appeared around them.

Cecilia waved her hand and the beasts seemingly dematerialised into thin air.

“Scryer Mages can’t even detect them.” Cecilia added in clarification.

“So what do you say?” Cecilia said as she offered Maria her hand.

Maria paused for a moment before she nodded slightly and took her hand. Maria gripped Cecilia’s hand tightly, feeling safer than she had in a long time.

“Can I have some time to decide which title I prefer?” Maria asked.

“Of course, you have time. Because in truth I have a condition for all I offer.” Cecilia said and Maria began to feel wary.

“Don’t give me that look Maria, I won’t ask for anything unreasonable. In truth Maria I am concerned about your mental state. Your affair with that knight, your plan to run away with your lover, your decision to even tell me about your plan to run away. This tells me that you are not thinking clearly. 

You who lasted so long under that brute, you who played the game well enough that Tralis was willing to garrison a mere few hundred men at Averlin rather than install a full occupation force. Normally you would not be this sloppy, I know you can do better. The only conclusion I can come up with is that your mind is a scattered mess now.” Cecilia said and Maria opened her mouth for a moment before closing it impotently. 

Maria knew she was right, she has become increasingly irrational and emotional. In truth one of the reasons she wanted to give up the throne was that she wasn’t confident she could rule in her current state.

“Maria… I want you to get better. I have not forgotten our time together in the garden downstairs all those years ago.” Cecilia said as she gently took Maria’s hands.

“I want the best for you, so I would like to offer you something. My dear friend the Great Beast can enter your mind and resolve many of the issues plaguing you. He can help to resolve all the trauma. What would have taken years to fix could be done in what? Hours? Weeks? Months?

I am sure he can fix this by the new year. Which would be just in time for you to get ready to take your desired title.” Cecilia said as she locked Maria's gaze with her own.

“Is it safe?” Maria asked, her tone uncertain.

“It is, I tried it myself, we share a close relationship. Helping you was a personal request from myself.” Cecilia said reassuringly.

“I see… you are offering me everything I want and more. In truth I am concerned about my mental state as well…” Maria admitted with a sigh.

Maria knew Cecilia was right. This was the best path forward, although it was a risk and an unknown. But Maria trusted her, there was no reason for Cecilia to lie to her about this. What she was being offered was nothing short of a miracle. With this she would rule, she would rule alongside her love and no one could do anything to her. They may be willing to risk her ire but they would not risk Cecilia’s wrath. Especially considering this will be after the war and Cecilia will no doubt make an example of the Tralis army. Hives don’t leave prisoners after all… you either beat a Hive back or it will devour everything. Somehow Maria felt that brute wouldn’t be able to beat this Hive back…

“Well? How does that sound Maria?” Cecilia asked gently.

Maria looked up at Cecilia and Maria steeled herself. Yes she would take the deal, as of right now she trusted Cecilia perhaps only slightly less than Rowan. She couldn’t trust her family, her own people, no one else. No one else cared about her other than Rowan and Cecilia…

So with that Maria made her decision and gave Cecilia her answer.

“I agree to your terms…” Maria said in as firm a voice as she could manage.

In response Cecilia smiled as she pulled her into a gentle embrace. After a light squeeze they separated and Cecilia held her at arms length as she looked at Maria fondly.

 

No need to be so formal Maria

We are cousins, remember?

 

Hey everyone this is the next chapter I promised. Anyway sorry about this, it kinda messed up the enjoyment of the last chapter because it was a week apart from the chapter before it. Hope this extra chapter makes up for it.

218