Chapter 84: Sending A Message
7.7k 35 229
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 84: Sending A Message

 

Another day another wall, as I gazed at the wall I was also using the Hive mind to examine the information the flying scouts were sending in. From what I could tell, this town had about one thousand defenders. Previous intelligence indicates the bulk of the forces in this fortress town was moved towards the capital. Leaving just this skeleton force behind to buy time. These soldiers were bait and fodder. They were sacrificial lambs meant to buy time, the number of one thousand was no accident either. It was just enough soldiers to make the walls difficult to take using conventional forces and also enough to position defensive pockets within the city. 

If I wanted to minimise civilian casualties I would need to have Cecilia send the humans to launch a conventional assault on the walls. A prolonged siege was out of the question since it just wasn’t worth it both in terms of tactical and humanitarian considerations. Because this town was just a town that had fortress-like characteristics and well… I simply didn’t care about human life that much.

Most wars of conquest often had to consider the humanitarian aspect. If the invading army was too brutal there will be problems when they annex the conquered territory. Partisans and resistance movements will start popping up that may very likely make the territory more trouble than it's worth.

Counterpoint: I don't care about any of those things.

I can sniff out any partisans and my Hive can project enough fear into the population that most of the resistance forces will be sold out by the local populace. Think about it, I can find them easily thanks to my hive being able to sense things from underground, the forest won’t work as places to hide. The only place they could hide is within the population centres. Then let’s say I when I do find a partisan group hiding in a basement or something, I have the hive emerge from the basement and chase those idiots out on the street before very graphically tearing them to pieces on the street. The fear that would inspire as the population would have no idea what made me realise that they were partisans. So the unknown and the mystery will sow terror and paranoia, making them more likely to sell the partisans out.

Think of them as sacrifices to appease the angry giant monster. Humans like to do that when they are desperate right? 

The main reason for preventing too much damage was that the church might take issue with and then take the complaint to the angels when they show up. So thus it would be better if they just surrendered because my army has a tendency to cause significant collateral damage. Since when they unburrow they have a tendency to destroy the foundations of buildings if they decide to emerge in the middle of buildings. Not to mention their method of burrowing and unburrowing when they attack also weakens the soil around the buildings which is a problem.

This wasn’t hypothetical either, I tested this on an earlier town. It was quite the mess when the small town’s people started to take up arms with pitchforks and clubs. Well let’s just say I didn’t really ask for a surrender because I wanted to test out how my hive actually does in the cramped streets of a town or city. Well let’s just say I didn’t factor in the amount of soil destabilisation thousands of burrowing and unburrowing monsters can do to the foundations and structural integrity of buildings.

From that one can easily expect that a lot of the buildings were not standing after that test run. In theory I could reduce this by instructing the queens to only allow unburrowing within important buildings filled with enemies and stick to the streets as much as possible. Well I could test this theory here and it is also a test opportunity for assaulting walls. Granted these walls are a lot weaker than the ones at Tralis but a test was better than nothing. But honestly testing for any of these would be fine and not that necessary, it's just good to know.

“Do you think Mother Justina is gonna have more luck than the previous town?” I asked as I looked down at Cecilia.

“Hmmm… perhaps, that town we ran into was largely unfortified. It was essentially a village that turned into a town. They were not aware of how the military operated. This town however, is designed to be a staging area for invasion and also often holds a garrison of soldiers.

The mayor of this town will know what outright conflict means for them…” Cecilia said.

“But yet the fact that the previous town was not designed to hold out against an attack means that perhaps the full weight of reality has not set in.” I countered.

“And yet we allowed some to escape to spread word of what had happened. From what your scouts indicated, the town before us has prepared tactics to counter your burrowing Hive.” Cecilia said as she cast her gaze to the Praetorians who were standing guard beside us.

“Attempt to counter.” a voice said from behind us and I turned to see Nafas say as she eyed the city like a predator would its prey.

“They will naturally attempt some sort of resistance and adaptation.” I remarked in response.

“Yes they will attempt it, I assure you they will find little success. Whether in this insignificant town or their pathetic capital.” Nafas replied.

Nafas was the queen that showed the most promise amongst the lesser queens. She was essentially now on the same rank of Azatherine after being elevated above her peers. I had relaxed some control once I realised the queens had more individuality than I expected. I wanted to find out which of the queens were the standouts and Nafas was by far the best amongst her peers.

So now the chain of command was myself, then Legiana with the next rung down being Nafas and Azatherine. With Nafas being tasked with the ground forces and Azatherine being in command of the air forces.

This was our first war and her first campaign as the leader of my ground forces so I could sense Nafas felt she had a lot to prove. Contrary to what most others think, the members of the Hive were not mindless. They had individuality but it was just altered by the connection to the Hive mind. Which of course made them more dangerous because this means the commanders could do complex problem solving out in the field. I suspected this was made more dramatic because the baseline queens were cobbled together by humanoids. So they didn’t know how to make the queens in a manner that was as consistent as I can. But then again their increased intelligence and different personal experiences also means natural divergence over time.

“Relax Nafas, I am sure you will win this battle if it comes to bloodshed. I’m more interested in how you will win, there is a lot of information to collect during battles. There is no way you are losing to a thousand guards. I can take that city by myself.” I said with a grin.

“Actually why not?” Cecilia asked.

“Hmmm?” I replied.

“We already have stories of what the Hive can do, besides your war broods are scattered around Tralis already. Azatherine is already on the way to attack the forces of Beralis that are on the way to the port town of Emelis to take it back from the Wardens. 

The stories of your Hive will spread easily enough, why not spread the rumour of your own individual power?” Cecilia suggested.

“You know that isn’t that bad of an idea…” I muttered as I cupped my chin.

My mind wandered to the map we were just looking at and it started to make more sense.

tJZH7R2.jpg

 

My war broods are already poised to destroy all the Tralis reserve forces on the way to reinforce the capital. The Tralis government is already panicking, they are recalling everything they have to reinforce the capital. The northern border and western border had already been abandoned with troops rushing towards the capital. The surrounding Volerian states have already moved in to try and capitalise on the situation.

Cecilia sent the Wardens to attempt an amphibious assault on the port town of Emelis which they had already taken. This was a bait as if the Wardens are allowed to hold that town, the garrison in the Berylis fortress would be surrounded and cut off, effectively dividing the Tralis territory in two. So almost all the Beralis occupation forces were on the way to take back Emelis and my phoenixes were bearing down right on top of them. With those forces taken out the Princess Emeline can retake her ancestral seat and then Beralis will fall under our control in one fell swoop. This means the Beralis army remnants will turn to our side and the east will be secure.

Then we wipe out the garrison in Berylis and within the first three days of the war Tralis will lose half its territory. 

In addition my forces will snipe out the remaining forces still on the road to Tralis. We had basically started marching towards Averlin two days after that battle near Marina and were in Averlin the next day. After a night of rest we moved to the town of Tritis and the naval landing happened at the same time too. The Tralis fleet was obliterated by the Warden fleet, their dinky wooden ships had nothing on the Warden’s old Empire era mithril clad ships. The Warden’s ships were essentially floating metal fortresses armed with enchanted ballistas and spell cannons.

After that we just had to surround the capital and take it. There is actually a war brood of about ten thousand soldiers already under the capital just in case. So this war is already as good as won, the only question was how would we win it?

“I suppose I could do it myself… would be interesting. I sense a team of adventurers over there, probably gold rank so no threat to me. They would give a far better testimony than some terrified and blubbering peasants. That would increase the chance of surrender with the capital, or at least the individuals there would be more likely to take our little… deal…” I said.

“Yes it would paint a better picture, the adventurer guilds are independant to an extent. So the Tralis royal family will struggle to contain information spread from the guild, especially if they wish to count on their support during the siege. So what do you say friend?” Cecilia asked as she gave me a smile.

“Well it would be a fun change of pace.” I replied with a smirk of my own.

With that I spread my wings and with one flap I shot towards the wall. The soldiers on the wall screamed as they saw me approach a break neck speed but I stopped right next to Lady Justina who had just stopped begging at the soldiers on the wall.

“What are you doing…” Mother Justina asked in a hushed whisper.

“Time’s up, what's your answer, humans?” I asked if I raised my head so that I was at eye level with the top of the five metre tall wall.

I saw the soldiers baulk when they realised I was as tall as the wall, some took a step back, others raised their bows in panic. I could smell that some of them had wet themselves and the fear emanating from the wall was almost intoxicating.

I was met with silence, no one dared to speak. 

“I suggest you start talking or open that door, before I open it myself.” I said with a smile as if daring them to deny me.

“Go… go to hell!” one of the archers shouted in shaky defiance as he released his arrow and it bounced harmlessly off my domed head.

I looked around and saw every soldier on the wall go as pale as parchment. 

“Is that your answer?” I asked in a low and dangerous voice.

Then I was peppered in the face with arrows that also bounced off.

“So be it…” I said as I turned around and magically shoved Mother Justina backwards before casting a barrier in front of her.

“Safety first…” I said with a grin as I saw her eyes widen in horror as she realised what was about to happen. I could sense a single magical signature from the adventurers on the wall, all the other mages were pulled back to the capital. This place was just tasked to die and buy time for the reinforcements that were never going to arrive in Tralis.

Then I felt the weak spell slam against my back. The fireball knocked me slightly forward but all it did was blast some feathers loose, it was like getting lightly shoved from behind. If Gold Ranks can just barely kill Wyverns then what could they do to me? It was almost funny thinking back to when this all started, how I hid in a tree to dodge some Gold Ranked Adventurers.

I turned and slammed my body straight through the front gate, splintering it and sending the pieces hurtling into the town. I could hear the screams from the other side and I looked forward to see a barricade of trembling soldiers and civilian militia. They were frozen in place, terrified, if they surrendered I was open to letting them live but they won’t do it unless I made a bit of a show.

So I flapped my wings and shot into the sky until I was overlooking the wall.

“Just give up, I won’t kill any of you that surrenders. You can’t beat me, let alone my army.” I said lazily and in response a wave of arrows shot at me followed by a fireball and an enchanted arrow shot.

Well I at least admire the bravery and tenacity despite how pointless it was…

“Fine…” I drawled as I felt the attacks bounce off as I opened my mouth and prepared to shoot a jet of fire at the wall.

I saw the adventurer ranger’s eyes widen as he shouted.

“GET OFF THE WALL!” the ranger shouted as the adventurer team jumped off the wall onto the nearby rooftops. Some of the other soldiers followed them, some of those landed badly and ended up breaking bones.

I swooped down and raked the walls with a jet of white fire. I circled the city and strafed the walls, the weak stone walls crumbled as the stone bricks turned to lava. The soldiers caught in the fire found their flesh and leather armour turned to ash as the metal components of their armour turned to molten slag.

I could hear the townspeople screaming as they looked up to see me above the town and the walls surrounding their own turned to glowing piles of molten rocks. Then I noticed the now partially molten walls were dripping onto some of the houses that were too close to the wall and catching fire. 

I looked down and saw the adventurer team scrambling to regroup along with a small group of surviving soldiers. Well I don’t want to kill the adventurers if possible, they were valuable potential assets and also good messengers. Then again they would be a little disenchanted by me if they were here because this was their hometown…

I landed heavily on the ground in front of the group and I eyed the trembling group. The adventurers were terrified but they had their weapons up with a shaky resolve in their eyes. 

“I think that’s enough, put down your weapons and give…” I began but I was interrupted by a random soldier screaming as he charged out of the alley next to me with a sword raised. I let out a bestial growl as I slashed at him. My blade carved deep gashes into the surrounding stone walls of the buildings and the soldier was cut in two. The pieces of his body went flying back into that alley rolling across the ground leaving behind a trail of organs spilling from the corpse.

“Up…” I said as I turned back around to look at the trembling group.

“And what let your beasts devour this whole town? This is our home!” the warrior from the adventurer group shouted in as steady a voice as he could manage.

“If I wanted to kill all of you I would have already…” I began but this time I heard a window on my left open.

“GO TO HELL MONSTER!” I heard male voice shout. I turned to see a teenage boy throw a bottle with a lit fuse at the mouth of the bottle. The bottle smashed against the side of my face and it burst into flame. So now the left side of my face was on fire but honestly I was getting quite annoyed… one might even say I am getting… irked…

“I am SPEAKING!” I roared as I rammed one of my hands through the wall into the house and grabbed the teenager. The stone wall gave away like a stack of cards and I closed my hand around his squirming body. I yanked him out of the house as he screamed in terror. Then I saw what must have been the mother appear at the hole in the wall screaming as she outstretched her arm at the teenager. She was screaming his name as tears ran down her cheek, but I was already quite annoyed. Here I was trying to be merciful and this idiot throws this petrol bomb thing at me. Ungrateful little insects…

“UNHAND HIM!” the ranger shouted as she drew her bow and it began to glow.

“Do not…” I hissed as I turned to look at the ranger but the arrow flew out anyway and struck me in the side of the face.

“Ok… fine…” I said as I swung my arm to the left and threw the teenager against a nearby stone wall splattering his body across it.

I heard the mother scream but I was done being nice. They want to fight? Fine…

I let out a roar as I charged the group. I saw their eyes widen in fear and the mage fired another spell at me, this time a lightning bolt. The bolt struck me in the chest and crackled out across my body but fizzled out harmlessly against my armour.

The soldiers panicked as they tried to scatter but the adventurers held their ground. I opened my mouth to shoot a jet of fire to clear out the surrounding chaff. The mage and priest in response put up a barrier. My fire engulfed the group and when the fire dissipated the barrier was cracked and flickering. In response I fired a barrage of spines right as I finished closing the distance.

The first spine bounced off but the barrier cracked and shattered. The warrior moved forward with his shield but the spine slammed right through his shield and ended up impaling him. He was thrown off his feet before landing hard on the ground.

The other spines ended up cutting most of the other adventurers down. The ranger had his right arm sliced off and was impaled by two more spines that were the size of great swords. The other warrior was cut down too. The rogue vanished in a puff of smoke. I immediately turned around and grabbed her mid air. It would have been more effective if she didn’t shout [Assassinate] as she vanished. That gold rank team I fought previously had a rogue that used the same skill and I learned from past events.

The rogue yelped in panic as I grabbed her and she immediately shouted [Shadow Retreat] but all she got was a crackle of arcane energy that ended up electrocuting her.

“You think something as old as me wouldn’t have inbuilt ether jamming? The creatures nowadays have gotten so weak…” I said with a grin as the gasping and smoking rogue looked up at me in terror as she realised she was trapped in my grasp. 

I closed my fist around her and she popped like an overripe fruit. I turned around to see the rest of the adventurer team dead or dying with the exception of the priestess who was standing there in shock as she gazed at the bodies of her dead comrades.

I dropped the pulped remains of the rogue as I approached her and she looked up at me. She screamed as she dropped her gold staff and started running in the opposite direction. In a flash I had darted forward and snatched her up with the same bloody hand that had crushed the rogue. She started screaming and crying hysterically as she looked down at the blood and pulped flesh on my hand that was staining her white robes red. She was gibbering incoherently, calling for her mother and saying something about never wanting to be here in the first place.

“You never wanted to be here?” I asked curiously and the Priestess calmed slightly as she looked up at me in terror.

“I thought this was your home?” I asked again as I breathed on her and her face went green as the smell of my breath washed over her.

“It was theirs… the rest of the party was from Voler. I’m from the capital Tralis…” the priestess half sobbed in response.

“Peeerfect…” I replied with a grin.

“What?” the priestess stammered.

“I’ll tell you what is going to happen now. Most of the garrison was on the walls so they are now ash, there are a handful of soldiers still huddled around this town. So I’m going to hold you just like this as you watch me clean up the rest of the soldiers. Then you are going to run off to Tralis…” I said.

The Priestess’s mouth opened for a moment as she gapped at me. 

I smiled at her reaction and I spoke my command.

 

You are going to run back to the capital after all this is over…

And you are going to tell them exactly what has happened here…

229