Chapter 5
253 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we entered the dorm, we were greeted by an old lady.

"So you two are the new transfer students eh?" said the old lady.

"Yes we are, I'm Hatsune Miku." I said.

"I'm Yukihira Soma." said Soma.

"Though you can call me Miku and you can call him Soma." I added.

"Miku and Soma, I see. 

"I'm Fumio Daimido, the warden of the dormitory."

"So what did you two bring in the way of ingredients?" asked Fumio.

"What do you mean?" asked Soma.

"What else do I mean? Everyone who wishes to live here must pass our famous challenge." said Fumio.

Thank goodness I brought extra ingredients from the class, I would've been doomed. 

"First rule, applicants must make one meal. Only those who's cooking passes will be allowed to live in the dorm. Second rule, the caretaker will serve as the examiner. Third rule, the applicant may bring any ingredient they wish to use.." said Fumio.

"Eh? This is news to me, I never heard of this. I don't have any ingredients on me." said Soma. 

"Then I guess you lose by default, what about you Miku?" asked Fumio.

"I brought ingredients." I replied.

"Good." said Fumio. 

"Wait hold on, there's no way I'm going to camp outside." said Soma. 

"Consider it your unlucky day, we do have some scraps in the kitchen." said Fumio.

"I'll take the challenge, I'll make a meal out of those scraps in the kitchen." said Soma.

"Oh? Then come." said Fumio.

I followed them towards the kitchen and it sure looks like a normal kitchen, it wasn't bad.

While Soma was getting his ingredients, I opened my bag, and looked at what I had. 

I took a few mental notes and thought of what to make.

Since I know Soma was going to make a meal, I decided to go for a dessert.

I wanted to take it a bit slow so I'll be making a chocolate, coconut and cherry sponge.

Taking out the ingredients I needed, I set it out to one side. 

Soma had already started, he's good. 

I walked over to the oven and turned it to 160 degrees celsius. 

While I let the oven heat, I greased three 15 centimeters round cake pans and line bases with baking paper. Dusting the sides with extra cocoa, shaking off excess.

Placing egg yolks and 100 grams icing sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk until thick and pale. I whisked in the butter until it was fully combined, then I transferred mixture to a large bowl and cleaned the mixer bowl.

I placed all the egg whites into the clean mixer bowl and started whisking it until it was soft. With the mixer running, I added 150 grams of icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it was dissolved and the mixture is stiff and glossy.

Adding cocoa, cornflour, and flour to the yolk mixture, I started combining them. After that, i folded in the egg white mixture into 3 different batches. I divided them among the cake pans and started to bake for 40 minutes.

After waiting for 40 minutes, I cooled in the pan for 10 minutes. I placed cream, coconut cream, remaining 1/2 cup,  60 grams of icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. 

Looking over at Soma who was almost done with his meal while I was taking a bit too long for my desert. I decided to speed up a bit, I started to focus.

I mixed and combined all the ingredients together quickly. Taking out the mixer and poured buttercream icing, butter, and icing. I started beating it until it was thick and pale. 

I could feel myself getting locked into the dessert I was mixing, I felt free with the ocean bringing me anywhere I wished to go. 

In 20 minutes, my dessert was ready. 

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/easy-chocolate-sponge-cake-recipe/8cwoh97p

Fumio had just tasted Soma's meal and it was time for dessert.

"I'm done Fumio-san." I said.

She took a glance at my desert and her eyes widened in surprise. 

Immediately putting down Soma's meal, she walked over and took a spoon of it and took a bite. 

From her expression, I could tell she could taste the many flavors and texture that came from the dessert.

The chocolate, coconut, and cherry filled her taste and she took another bite of it.

I smiled, my dessert was good enough for Fumio-san.

"You both pass."

"What kind of training did you got through to make a dessert as delicious as this?" asked Fumio.

"I got the recipe from my mother, she cooks all around the world so she sends me a variety of recipes for me to cook." I said.

"I see, well then it's time for you to get to your rooms." said Fumio.

.

.

.

I was given the farthest room, I didn't mind though.

It was quiet and there was a balcony.

I unpacked my things and luckily, there was my own personal bathroom.

Though I wonder who was the previous owner of this room.

Hopping into the bath, I let the warm water relax my muscles as I slowly sink deeper.

All the cooking at my muscles stiff and tired, so this bath was certainly needed.

After taking a bath, I got up and decided to check out the dormitory.

I was walking through the hallways when Soma suddenly pulled me to a room.

Inside there were several more people,

"What's this Soma?" I asked.

"A welcoming party." said Soma.

They were arguing so they didn't see me come in, it was kind of funny seeing them bicker despite being friends.

"You guys are good friends." I said.

""We're not!"" said all of them.

I chuckled a bit.

"When'd you get here?" asked the glasses boy.

"Just now." I replied.

"Alright, let's introduce ourselves." said one of them.

"I'm Hatsune Miku." I said.

"Yukihira Soma." said Soma

"I'm Marui Zenji." said the glasses boy.

"I'm Yoshino Yuuki." said the orange haired girl.

"I'm Sakaki Ryouko." said the fuchsia haired girl.

"I'm Satou Shouji." said the blonde hair boy.

"I'm Aoki Dalgo." said the tank top boy.

" I'm Ibusaki Shun." said the boy with his hair covering his eyes.

"I'm Tadoroko Megumi." said the blue haired girl.

.

.

"Now that introductions are finished, let's drink!" said Ryouko giving us a cup.

"What's this?" I asked.

"It's rice juice." said Ryouko. 

Looking at the rice juice, it looked cloudy. 

A couple minutes into the party, there was a voice coming out of the megaphones. 

"Hey guys! I have some buri daikon. Come and get it!" said Fumio.

The tank top boy and blonde haired boy walked out the door.

"Is that okay?" I asked.

"Just come back before Fumio-san starts a spiel about the Elite Ten." said Yoshino. 

The Elite Ten? I think I heard that name somewhere before, it was when Hisako introduced her to us.

"The elite ten?" I unconsciously said out loud.

"Eh? You don't know about it?" asked Ryouko.

"I don't know about it either." said Souma. 

"You both showed up without a clue huh? Tell them Marui." asked Yoshino.

"The Totsuki Elite Ten Council is composed of the ten highest ranking students within the academy. Students are allowed to manage many of the academy's affairs, so a wide variety of issues are managed by the Council. In the academy's hierarchy, they are only second to the director himself, not even the instructors can oppose their decisions." said Marui.

"There were even years when all Ten were from Polar Star. Once Fumio-san starts talking that, it's hard to get her to stop." said Ryouko.

.

.

.

Soon, the night ended with the other member Satoshi Isshiki introducing himself and everyone celebrating.

I was back in my room, laying in my bed.

So this is going to be my new life from now on huh?

I'll be sure to enjoy this...mother.

 

 

15