Chapter 23 Escape from Lorci
146 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Demon continent Alsace in the year 237 in the 5-month Aeigium on the 25th day after the shattering of the empire

 

After being taken to his room by Sappho, it had taken him a few more minutes to process what had been said. To suspect something and to know something are two different pairs of shoes, as he had to realize once again.

But he had to hurry because he didn't have the rest of the day and such an escape must be well prepared and executed. That's why he set about gathering everything he needed in the villa, unseen by servants or guards.

It took him until the evening to gather everything and set off. The guards were still under the instruction of the false patrols, which gave him some escape possibilities from the property.

Which of course couldn't be an excuse for being cautious, it could always be that he had missed one or that one mind recovered from its little deception faster than the others. After all, he was just playing with the guards' memories a bit and changing their patrol route. Which was something every mind recovered from without taking any damage from it. But as with all, this could also lead to harm if used too often. Similar to the mind of the follower of Meinoume.

From the city sounded the sounds of a lively night. The shattering of glass and the explosions of spells used against each other could be heard.

It seemed to him that the revolution had already arrived in Lorci or that the revolters had all planned to revolt on a certain day. Which, if he recalled the declarations of Sappho, Sia, and Abraxas, was the case.

This was good for him because a city in open revolt was easier for him than one where nothing but the afterlife would have begun at that time of day. He would take advantage of the turmoil of the revolution to get out of the city.

He also already had a plan of what he would do afterward, he would follow a feeling of his. When he was on tearing with the other Cirkati, they had never gone to the interior of the continent. It seemed that the demons settled only on the coast of the continent. Also, the front that separated the realm of the demons and the renegades was only on the coasts of the continent and in the hinterland, where it joined the settled area behind them. Also, the garrisons of the fortresses here were fewer and mostly the old or butchers equipped.

Consequently, he would encounter fewer demons there and then his feeling that the Arcane energy seemed to come from the center of the continent.

First, however, was to get out of the city and he did not yet know if he should go back to the camp. He had made preparations that would give him some time, but he had no desire to change people's memories. A thing he had not liked to do before. This was a fear that most non-users and users shared. Both were afraid of a psion stealing their memories or changing them or doing other things in their head.

This is why psions had a bad image in the wider population. You couldn't trust them and you couldn't trust yourself. That was the basic tenor that all people, human and demon alike, followed. What we had proved was not an unfounded fear and then few were protected from such attacks since there were no psions that could have trained them. With which the snake bit itself in the tail. But he did not want to contribute to this image of psions, which is why he refrained from doing such things.

He preferred to use telekinesis and yes, he always looked his opponents in the head, but there it was also mostly about his survival or that of his soldiers, comrades, where he put his life and that of the others above that of the opponents. But now he had learned magic and body art. Which had expanded his repertoire and can fall back on even more tricks in battle. Also, he was now no longer inferior to his opponents, which practiced body art and had to help with telekinesis. Also, he would always have the appropriate counterspell immediately at hand, if he knew it. He was nowhere near as knowledge-rich in these two arts as he was in his own art as a psion, but that was yet to come.

Also, he would finally be able to properly accumulate with the appropriate amount of Arcane Energy to advance his core. Even though he was surprised to find that he had not encountered any Arcane Energy users that he could not recognize, what was even more surprising was that none of them had awakened a sense of danger in him in any way. What should normally happen when a level one met a level higher. And the higher the other person was, the more unclear it was to recognize which level he had.

Arrived at the edge of the property, he disappeared through the servants' entrance without anyone noticing him.

On the other side, he first looked around cautiously, not wanting to run into any guards, but also not an angry mob of revolutionaries. When he could see no one and nothing, he set out to get to one of the side streets and from there he wanted to disappear through one of the side gates. His goal was not to be discovered, but if that could not be prevented, then at least he did not want to be recognized.

So he scurried across the street in the shadow of a cloud, at the edge of the horizon could already be seen how the sun began to disappear behind the horizon.

So it went on and on for him from one shadow into the next. Thus he reached the side street he wanted. On it, he had to hide immediately, because a lot of demons were combing through it. Probably not because of him, but he preferred not to be found by them.

So he started to head for an intersection, which would be reached by the crowd in a few minutes. From there he wanted to turn right and take one of the smaller parallel streets. On which hopefully less was going on as on the side street of the main street.

Just in time, he could run from the cover of a parr of barrels, which were left in front of a store, into the right across the intersection without anyone seeing him.

In the desired street he had to hide so immediately so that he was not found by the mob. The search for a hiding place cost him precious moments before he finally saw a small wall between two houses, over which he jumped and kept quiet.

He could hear some of the pack turning into his street, as he could also see them thanks to his senses.

There were ten demons in all, four women and six men of different shapes and levels. The strongest was a level five demon who was a user of the body arts. Except for one female mage, all the others were body art users.

The small group of demons walked past his lair. "I thought I saw someone." Grumbled, one of the men. "Well, you were wrong, come on, let's go back to the others, there's no one here from our list either."
One of the other women hissed at the other. "The best thing you can do is shout it out to the world, with names and addresses, so that they can escape. -" the click of a tongue was too higher. - "You really are stupid sometimes." With that, the troupe continues in penetrating deeper and deeper into the street.

Meanwhile, he had been looking for another way to continue his escape. The only possibility was that he climbed the wall of the house to continue his way on the roofs. Since this seemed to be only a small garden, which should be protected with this small wall from curious eyes. And he did not want to break into the house to get from there back to the street.

While the voices of the group became quieter and quieter, and the stream of revolutionaries on the crossroads also subsided, he set about climbing the wall of the house. Fortunately for him, he was tall and strong as well as limber, so he was on the roof in a matter of minutes.

From his position, he could see how parts of the city were in flames, from this direction the screaming of burning people sounded. From other places, the noise of fighting was still coming. Light penetrated upwards from various places into the increasingly blackening sky. The glow of torches or illuminating spells continued to disperse groups moving through the streets to cleanse the city of enemies. Whether everyone on these lists was really an enemy, he suspected, sharpened no one.

After making sure that no one had seen him from the street, he set out to continue his journey on the rooftops of Lorci.

His journey on the rooftops was similar to his journey on the streets of the city, except that he hurried from mantel to mantel and no longer from shadow to shadow. He also had to be careful not to make too much noise, lest someone hear him from the street and come looking. But he also didn't want to be heard by the inhabitants of the houses, so that they wouldn't be able to say later that they had heard someone.

He wanted to make the pursuit of him as difficult as possible and he tried not to give his opponent any clues. So he jumped from roof to roof or he had to climb down and up again so that he could continue his journey undisturbed. Always careful not to be seen by anyone and to be as quiet as possible.

So after about two hours, he arrived at the gate, where on normal days this distance could be covered within twenty minutes. To his chagrin, of course, the gate was locked and guarded.

Now, of course, none of the angry mobs were near him, which he could have used to his advantage, so he would have to provide his own distraction or find another way.

At first, he tried to find an alternative way over the wall but didn't get far with it, since the only climb near him seemed to be the gate. Finding something to distract him was not so easy, as the soldiers guarding the gate had barricaded all the road entrances, clearing the square in front of the gate of everyone. This gave the remaining soldiers at the gate a clear view of everything.

With this tactic, of course, they were also widely scattered. Possibly, however, the soldiers could be steered in such a way into a direction, so that they gassed another. He tried to distract the soldiers with a few small stones, which he could scrape together on the roofs.

With a little help of telekinesis, he hurled the stones in the appropriate direction, only after he had thrown some into corners of the street, the soldiers became restless. With which he began to do the whole game all over again. With each additional time, the soldiers became more and more restless, and more and more came to the barricades.

Only now he realized that he was standing on the wrong roof, from which he could of course see all the streets leading to the square in front of the gate, but he was also too far away from the gate to reach it.

He quickly threw a few more stones to raise the soldiers' spirits and set about reaching the gate. He quickly changed roofs to climb down from another, where he hoped to have a better chance, and reach the gate. He succeeded in doing so, even though he was almost seen, which only seemed to reinforce the soldiers' fear that someone had come to lead them.

On the new roof, he made sure that no group of the revolution was on its way to them and with his last stones he stirred up the atmosphere one last time, after which he made his way to the gate as each of the soldiers stood at the barricades.

The small door in the gate was fortunately not locked, a quick look behind the door also showed him no patrol outside the wall. Outside the wall, he would still have to watch out for the soldiers on the battlements, but he would be outside the wall.

With a quick glance over his shoulder, he made sure that the others were still busy waiting for an enemy that wasn't coming, at least not yet. Then he turned forward and ran as fast as he could along the road outside the city towards the forest.

He had chosen this gate because the forest was closest here. After a few minutes, he had covered the distance to the forest and disappeared into it. The warning calls of the soldiers, who had seen him, faded away behind him and were swallowed by the sounds of the forest.

7