Chapter 6 – A wonderful day out in town.
768 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The roof above my head and the sun shining through the window proved to me that yesterday wasn't a dream. I'm in the same place I was yesterday, huh... I really died and was reborn anew in this fantastical fantasy world.

Everything was exactly as it was yesterday. The dresser, the bed, the man in the mirror, the door,

The man in the mirror? Huh? Why is there a man in the mirror? It's not me, right? No, I'm still in bed. The heck is this? 

I got up and walked towards the mirror, to get a closer look. Is this S playing a trick on me? Or is it some odd kind of magic? A ghost or a monster? Getting closer, I realized it was none of those things. No, instead I saw an irritatingly familiar face, this time wearing some sort of Hawaiian shirt. What's with his wardrobe?

"Gooooood morning, sleepyhead!" Spoke God-DYN2, from the mirror.

"Uh, hi, uh, 'morning..." I responded. What's he doing here?

"Seems like you had an eventful day, yesterday!" He began. I went to respond, but was interrupted. "Seems you've already found yourself a friend, despite your odd face! Make sure to hold on to 'em, alright!"

... "Did you come here just to belittle me?" 

"Oooh! Spicy! More confident than yesterday, aren't ya!" he said, laughing "Just popped in to let you know you're doing great! Keep it up, boy!"

... "Right. Thanks, I guess." 

"Well, I'll be off, then! Good luck! Try not to die, again!"

His form vanished in a puff of smoke. Was he trying to encourage me? It's a little hard to tell, to be honest...

*Knock knock knock*

It appears someone's at my door. S, I'd wager. After I opened the door, S stood before me, looking a little irritated.

"Man, you sleep for ages, don't you? C'mon, lets have breakfast already!" he began.

"Good morning to you, too." I retort.

"Right, good morning. Anyways, c'mon!" he said, comically rolling his eyes as he headed downstairs. I followed after him, and we sat at the same table as yesterday.

As we sat down I realized, "ah, crap, I still don't have any money."

"Ah, don't worry about that, just go on a job or two with me after this. We'll split the rewards this time, obviously."

I couldn't help but smile as he said that. "I was hoping you'd say that."

We ordered and finished our food rather quick. S seemed excited to go, and I was excited to actually have money, for the first time in my new world.

S and I ran mostly simple jobs for a few hours, mainly things like gathering plants or defeating the odd beast, both of which were made trivial with my holes and S's abilities. We mainly did jobs that would bring us near the forest, as I could simply teleport us there, cutting travel time out all together. We kept doing this for a few hours, and by the end of it, S and I, while not rich, had a tidy sum between us.

After we got bored, we bought some sort of chilled juice drinks from a food stand near the center of town. Mine was blue, S got a tan colored one. What gets juiced to make a tan color? Anyways, we retreated to a back alley and I teleported us to the top of a nearby roof, where we stared at the sky while we enjoyed our drinks. It was incredibly fizzy, and seemed to burn the back of my throat. It's real tasty though, very fruity. Couldn't tell what fruit, though... hey, if this exists, maybe cola exists in this world! 

S and I sat for a while on the rooftops. Chatting about nothing in particular, gazing at clouds, and enjoying a the baby blue sky. It's a wonderful day, here in town.

"So... what's next?" I asked S. It was already an eventful day, but the day was still young!

"Well, we have all this cash, wanna go buy some equipment?" he responded. 

"I suppose that's wise. Know where the nearest equipment shop is?"

"Yeah, it's the one over there, with the green roof."

In response, I open a hole to a back alleyway nearby. Well, somewhat nearby. It's, like, a minutes walk away. I create another hole like a door, for which we would walk through. And we would have, but, see, from where I sent my hole from, I couldn't see the inside of the alleyway. I could see that it was there, but not what was going on in there. What was going on in there was a little girl getting mugged by a scrawny dude with a sickle. Huh. Odd.


It was a simple job, like I'd been on many times before... the boss told me about a target, I don't ask any questions, I get the thing he wants, I give it to him, again, no questions, and that's the end of it. I'm aware I'm a low level, expendable grunt for our organization, but what can I say? Moneys good, lodgings free, and I only have to work a few times a week. Sure it's not 'good' work, but even a failure like me's gotta make it in this world, y'know? This time, I'd been instructed to get some magicy rod thingy from this kid. Now, I don't take pride in robbing a kid, obviously, but the pay was especially good this time, and my hobbies need to be funded somehow. 

All I had to do was tail her until she made an... unfortunate wrong turn. She did, and I quickly capitalized off this. I pulled out my sickle, and said:

"I ain't wanna hurt ya, I just want the rod..." The target was even smaller than I thought, and wore a common pink dress and comically large pink hat. I couldn't see her hair, so I initially mistook her for a dude. She couldn't have been more than 7! Talk about easy pickings! 

She pretended not to know what I was talking about. They always do. In response, I gave her a little slit on her arm. Nothing too dangerous, just a little motivation, is all.

"S-Stop! I-I'll call the guards!" She said, crying and clinging to her wound.

"Do that, and I'll just have to take it and run, which might make things might get a little messy for you..."

"Y-you wont get away with this!" 

I'm surprised she lasted this long. Kid's got guts, if nothing else. "What, is some gallant knight gonna appear outa the walls and save ya?" 

As I said that, some sort of effervescent... something appeared in the wall. Then, it turned into the view of the city from a rooftop, with two young boys standing there. One looking incredibly disinterested, the other clad in tan. The four of us stood there in silence, awkwardly, staring at each other for a few moments. Seems everyone needed time to understand this situation. Except that first guy, I doubt he's even paying attention. 

The boy clad in tan was the first to break out of this daze. He quickly opened a pouch on his waist, and, before I was able to react, threw some kind of powder at my face. I made an attempt to dodge, but it was to no avail. 

Ahk! What's my eyes! I can't see! Was that... sand?! Did he just throw sand at me? Crafty punk. I attempt to rub the sand out of my eyes, but as I do, I feel the sensation of falling. Surely I'm not falling. How could I be? I was just on the ground!

I hit the ground hard and landed flat on my face... Next thing I knew, I felt 2 pairs of feet on my back. I didn't even try to get up. It's clear that I've been outgunned. I could try magic, but what's that gonna do, give 'em paper cuts? Plus, they'd probably stomp my hands to oblivion if I made a move. All I can do is breathe out a defeated "I give!" and drop my sickle. 

"Right, girl, could you call a guard or something?" I heard someone above me say. Not sure who.

"W-Wait, she's wounded. Look." I heard another, more low and timid voice say.

"Who sent you?" The girl said, firmly. A rude thing to ask your saviors, I think. Though, that's coming from the guy on the floor who threated to rob and stabbed her.

"What? No one, how's your wound?" The first voice said, confused.

"I wont let you have the rod!" The girl shouted. I detect comical misunderstandings. I accidentally let out a chuckle. 

"Rod? What are you on about? And you shut up!" The first voice responded again, digging his foot into my back. Ow!

"I wont let you I wont let you I wont let you!" The kid shouted. What an irritating brat!

"C-calm down. W-we just want to know if you're okay." the timid voice spoke again.

"That's not true! You're lying! I can tell from your face you don't care at all!" The girl whined. The more she speaks, the more I wish I aimed for the throat. 

"Uh-wha- thats- uh, it's not-" Man, I was done in by this guy? Getting this flustered over someone who might not even be able to read yet?  

"Hey! That's mean! It's not his fault he looks like that!" The first voice said. Once again, I let out a chuckle.

"SHUT UP!" I hear from 3 voices in unison, as the pressure on my back increases further. Owow!

"A-and that's not a very good way to put it." The timid voice says again. Sensitive issue, huh? I can't help but snicker. This time, I think the girl kicked me in the head. It didn't hurt physically, but it was pretty humiliating.

"Look!" The first voice began again, "This isn't a good place to discuss this! Beyes, can you bring us to the inn?"

"Uh-yeah, but what about this guy?"

"I can take care of him, just open the holes."

"Got it."  

"I'm not going to give you vermin the rod!" How important is this rod, anyways?

"Oh shut up and get in here!" 

After that, the feet stepped off me, and the voices stopped. I wasn't free to go, however, as they had restrained my hands and feet before leaving. It felt like sand against my skin... is that what these are? Sandcuffs?

I can't help but chuckle. I gotta get a normal job...

 

33