Chapter 45 – Dreaming
658 14 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Something quivered in my hand. The feeling made me flinch and throw whatever it was away. I tried to sit up and look around, but a spike of pain inside my head caused me to freeze and screw my eyes closed. For an unbearable length of time, I lay still and hoped the pain would pass. 

 

Something touched my forehead, and a warm feeling flowed through my brain. It didn't alleviate the pain, but it was a welcome distraction. I opened my eyes to see the Kindlesprite looking down at me with a slight frown. Speaking made me a little dizzy, but I tried anyways, pausing occasionally to get my bearings. "How long was I out?"

 

She tilted her head. "... Forty minutes. Did your spell miscast?" She removed her finger from my head, but the healing warmth stayed behind. I could now safely say that healing magic was only meant for physical wounds. Or maybe True Regeneration was just the wrong spell to use in this instance.

 

"Nah, just used it for something it wasn't meant for... Maybe that counts as a miscast." I could still hear the Interface buzzing away from where I'd thrown it. "Is that my alarm for nightfall?"

 

The Kindlesprite nodded. "I believe so. Shall I disable it?" She shifted over from where she was sitting on the bed, and then got up to collect it. A quick tap on the screen, and the buzzing stopped. "If you are unwell, you should remain here and rest for a while." So saying, she returned to her position on the bed, just within reach.

 

I would have shaken my head, but I settled for a quiet complaint instead. "No, I gotta get more shards. I just need a moment to catch my breath..." The nights were too short at this time of year. I needed to make the most of every second I had, but... I was a hundred percent sure this pain would transfer over to the Avatar. It might even get worse if I did something reckless.

 

"Just for a moment..." I carefully set my hand over my eyes. "I saw something horrible." I sucked in a breath and looked back up at her. I hadn't meant to say that.

 

She tilted her head again. "What was it?" A few sparks of emotion ran through her aura, gone before I could even identify them. Only a flash of curiosity stood out to me.

 

I didn't really want to talk about it. Even think about it. Monsters I couldn't possibly fight; in numbers I couldn't manage. All of those people pretending to keep fighting, but knowing it was pointless. It made me fearful for my future... But a part of me was also jealous. In the midst of all that, Nyx had never lost whatever made her keep going. She maintained close connections with so many different people. Seeing her interact with them made me feel alone.

 

Ironically, the loneliness felt so much more painful than the fear. Vaguely, I recognized a cloud of emotions overflowing from my Heart. I felt a burst of panic as I remembered the last time this happened, and saw that panic push the clouds further outward. My instinct was to push it away, to throw it, but I clamped down on that urge. Instead, I carefully compressed the fear and loneliness into a tiny ball and hid it away inside the dark shroud around my Heart.

 

The action had me briefly envision a dragon curled around its horde. I smiled a little, letting my mood improve. A dragon... That image felt right to me. It held a weight that I knew I could rely on, an unparalleled strength and defense. I couldn't Create a dragon, but maybe I could manage something with the Evolution menu? I wanted that power for myself. I could look through the options while I waited for my headache to abate. 

 

But first... I looked back up at the Kindlesprite. Only a moment had passed, so I just spoke as if nothing had happened. It took a few minutes to describe everything I'd seen. Oddly, talking about it seemed to help. It... wasn't as big a deal as I'd made it out to be. Obviously it was bad, but we just had to do a better job than they had. Funnily enough, I had a feeling the forums were already going to give us a huge advantage. Just sharing what we learned about the Interface would help to drag weaker Dungeons up and keep them alive long enough to build up.

 

The Kindlesprite was as solemn as ever, but I felt a hint of awe running through her aura. Maybe the idea of all these unique people and events interested her, since she'd been stuck inside my newbie Dungeon since she was created. Or maybe she just wanted to join that climactic battle. I was slightly amused by the idea of the quiet and near-emotionless Creature in front of me being some kind of battle junkie.

 

Either way, I was unwilling to waste any more time. I couldn't really do anything without feeling like I was going to pass out again, though... Not directly at least. Tentatively, I called out again. "Kindlesprite, could you read the Bestiary entry for the Apostle to me?" She still had my Interface from turning off the alarm earlier, and it would be easier to listen to her than read it myself.

 

She nodded easily. "As you wish. Where would I find th- Oh." She paused a moment, and then began to read. "The Chaos Apostle is a monstrosity composed of large numbers of Chaos Shards. Each Shard of Chaos that forms them was once a sapient being that was turned into a Chaos Thrall. In becoming a Chaos Shard, they maintain all of the Abilities and Spells they once wielded, with the addition that now their power can be drawn out by the Apostle."

 

"The Apostle itself seems to be of the same class as the Pseudo-Creature line, being artificial lifeforms formed as a sort of connective force that holds Chaos Shards together. It's unknown whether the limited intelligence they demonstrate is inherent or an Ability they draw from the Chaos Shards. They are one of the most versatile mid-level entities that Chaos can field, however. They appear somewhat reliably just before the final Annihilative stage of a Chaos Invasion, much as Pseudo-Knights appear to herald the Transitionary middle stage of an Invasion."

 

There was a pause. "There are several images and statistics, as well. Would you like to see?" She asked helpfully.

 

"No, thank you." I closed my eyes and sighed. So much for my good mood. That thing had been a 'mid-level' threat, and it crushed Nyx's defenses pretty rapidly. I didn't even want to know what 'Annihilative Stage' referred to... And the Shards...

 

Nope. I'll worry about it another time. "I wanted to look into the Evolution menu before using my Avatar; could you help me with that as well?" I spoke a little too quickly, ignoring both the headache and the chills that worked their way out from my Heart.

 

She nodded again. "Of course." She turned her attention to the Interface again... After a moment, she tilted her head. A tiny flash of consternation ran through her aura. "Ah, it didn't go automatically this time. Where do I find the information you're looking for?"

 

I smiled a little, then explained it to her carefully. It was fairly simple, so we were at the Evolution menu in a flash. Which is where we ran into the first problem. It was also probably the reason the screen hadn't shifted automatically. I had no idea what I actually wanted from the Evolution function.

 

Settling back, I spoke my thoughts aloud, letting them get quieter the longer I went. "I'm already a decent mage, so I don't need to worry about that too much. On the other hand, doubling down on my talents is a great way to create an advantage. But I don't want to be so weak that I'll drag the rest of you down..." My voice had dropped to a whisper, so I raised it again so the Kindlesprite could hear. "Is there anything that would make me stronger, physically and magically?"

 

She nodded slowly. "A lot of the options were filtered out, but there's still quite a few left. Would you like to see them, or should I read them out?"

 

Hmm... "No, let's narrow it down a little more first." Having said that... I wasn't sure where to go from there. I needed to be stronger, and I needed to improve my magic. Just remembering the image of the dragon wasn't enough. I needed to be specific. I needed to increase my reaction time, my ability to control mana... The strength and durability of my muscles and skin...

 

No, more than that. I needed something familiar, and something I enjoyed. When I fight, I always scratch first. Ever since I saw that episode of a crime show where the killer was found because their DNA was under the victim's nails. It's something I do instinctively now. So, I need Claws, just in case I don't have a real weapon.

 

And earlier, when I was experimenting with the Air Armor. Flying is something I enjoy immensely. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun. So... Wings of some kind?

 

The Kindlesprite interrupted my thoughts. "The list is quite short now. Shall I read it to you?"

 

I blinked, refocusing on her. "Oh. Yes, please."

 

She turned her attention to the Interface, her lips tightening into a near-frown from focus. "The Draconic Tissues pattern seems to be a requirement for several of the other options, so it's at the top of the list. It says your Body will have a lot of general improvements, and that some of the changes are already in place. Your bones and nerves, it looks like. There is one incompatible part... There's a workaround, but you will need to confirm whether you want Draconic Eyes, or Aura Perception. Both is impossible." She looked up at me for input.

 

Draconic? Did my image of a dragon make it through after all? However, I truly loved the Aura Perception I'd gotten from the Refinement pattern. It made everything so bright and vibrant. It was like looking at a painting of the world, or a movie with intentionally colorful lighting. I would probably keep it if I had to choose, but... "Can you tell me the differences between the two?"

 

She looked back at the screen, then narrowed her eyes. "... Yes. The... Draconic Eye allows you to see at greater levels of detail, at exceptional ranges and across broad spectrums of light and energy. Mana and spiritual energies can be seen to a lesser degree." She paused a moment. "To summarize, you'd be able to see color as normal, but also other types of radiation, ionic charge, and a small amount of motion, mana and 'Rukh', at a distance of several hundred thousand... kilometers?" She whispered to herself suddenly. "Why does my knowledge use a different system of units?"

 

She glared at the screen slightly, then shook her head once. "In contrast, Aura Perception allows you to see Auras, the emissions generated by Creatures. While some of the details of the Body and Mind may be slightly weaker than what the Draconic Eye perceives, Aura Perception significantly outclasses the Draconic Eye in perceiving the Heart and Spirit. In particular, emotions, intentions, and the strength of an individual's mana." She paused a moment to read.

 

She turned her attention back to me. "The workaround will allow you to gain a bonus to your eyesight either way, but you have to choose between the ability to see the physical world or the ethereal."

 

Oh, when she puts it like that it's an easy choice. "I think I'll stick to Aura Perception. Wait, how much does it cost?" I nearly sat up in alarm, but I was given a painful reminder of why I needed her help for this.

 

She frowned at me for a long moment, then turned her attention back to the Interface. "To apply the whole pattern will require a one-time expense of sixty CP, with each of the suggested parts increasing the total beyond what you can afford in a single purchase."

 

I blinked dumbly. "Wow. That's... not really worth it, is it." I let my eyes close. I was just wasting time after all. I needed every scrap of CP I could get, and spending it all just to make myself a half-decent combatant when I could Create one fully-formed was pure folly. I got carried away daydreaming about being something I'm not. "L-"

 

"That isn't the case." The sharp retort took me by surprise. I opened my eyes to see brightly colored emotions running through the Kindlesprite's aura, the strongest I'd ever seen from her. Although it was less visible in her physical features, her brow was still deeply furrowed, and she frowned down at me. 

 

She spoke again. Her voice wasn't the harsh rebuke I was used to hearing when I annoyed someone. Rather, it was a strong steel, carefully warped to offer comfort when that wasn't its original purpose. "You are our Archon, our Lady; the Dungeon Master. The stronger you are, the safer you will be. And the stronger all of us will be as a result. Anything that helps you is worth more than any amount of CP. A... bargain, I believe you called it."

 

Though I couldn't help but be intimidated, I recognized the concern being directed at me. It bewildered me. Why? She gave her reason, but I didn't believe it. Being loyal to me as part of her programming or whatever, didn't justify this level of emotion. Especially not for the Kindlesprite, who so rarely even had emotions.

 

I must have annoyed her somehow- Maybe I'd put up a really pitiful appearance when I was thinking of giving up on the Evolution Interface. She... might be more sensitive to my emotions than I expected. If it were me, maybe I would have been annoyed too. 

 

I'd have to be more careful in the future. It wasn't like me to let someone see me vulnerable in the first place, but I'd gotten so used to having her follow me around... I'd relaxed a little too much. I took a deep breath, pushing my apprehension back down into my Heart. "Okay. But I don't have enough CP for that anyways, so it's something we can worry about later."

 

She shook her head. Her emotions had already started to diffuse into her aura, but a small thread of bright orange-red concern remained strong. "You are still recovering from your miscast. Please rest, and I will continue to read the list to you."

 

I snorted; half annoyed, but mostly amused. Surprisingly stubborn. Not to mention correct. "Alright." I gave in. But the headache was finally starting to fade ever so slightly, so she wouldn't be able to keep me here forever.

 

She nodded sharply, then returned her attention to the Interface. "Aside from the parts that require the Draconic Tissues pattern, there are still three options available to you. In the event that you do get it, two of them will have their effects strengthened. The last will be mostly unaffected, since it is unrelated."

 

She paused, dark eyes bouncing between entries. "The first is a pattern called Arcane Proprioceptors. They're sensory organs that increase your ability to sense and control mana inside your Body or Aura, though they can help with any attempt to manipulate mana. The pattern also strengthens some of the nerves in your body that control physical movement. To summarize, your reaction time, balance, and reflexes will be improved, especially in relation to magical effects and your own emotions." She paused a moment, then added on like an afterthought, "The cost is forty CP."

 

I restrained a groan. It had seemed so perfect, until the cost. Actually, compared to the Draconic Tissues, this seemed way less cost effective. Just to compare; forty CP could improve my reflexes or it could Create a nearly god-like being like a Nymph. How could that possibly be worth it? Externally, I just nodded to let the Kindlesprite know she could continue.

 

"The second is a part. It seems to be quite customized to fit what you described earlier. A physical and magical boost. Retractable Mithril Talons, thirty-five CP. They'll initially only be applied to your hands and feet, as well as lacing some of your bones with mithril. However, if you get any extra limbs, you can choose to apply the talons to the new part at a small fee."

 

"Mithril is a durable, lightweight metal, and it can hold an edge quite well. However, it works best as a channel and catalyst for magic. This particular variant is also a biological material, which allows you to heal any damage either naturally or magically." She held up her damaged right hand, examining her regenerating fingers briefly. "It would be extremely difficult to disarm you, if you took this option."

 

She glanced at me, but then continued reading without waiting for a response. "The last part... If you want it, you will have a choice to make. The Interface is offering you two different types of wings. Draconic Wings absolutely must have the Draconic Tissues pattern applied first. The other choice, Ethereal Wings, do not require or benefit from the Tissue pattern. Do either interest you?"

 

I nodded slowly. I was very interested. But I already knew the cost would be prohibitive. I couldn't afford to get excited over it.

 

"Alright. First, the Ethereal Wings. They are an extension of your Spirit, meaning you can hide them or deploy them at will, even while Astral Projecting or using other methods of non-Bodily movement. If you infuse them with mana, they can deliver magical attacks or provide benefits to your flight abilities. Any Flight-type or Teleport-type spells you use while they are deployed will also become significantly easier to cast and maintain. The disadvantage is that they are non-physical, and will not benefit from most of the modifications you've already made or that we've looked through. They are fifty CP."

 

"The Draconic Wings are specialized for fighting and aerial combat. They are an extension of your Body, and will always be present. However, they are slightly transformable and made from extremely elastic materials, allowing them to be stretched out for better flight or compressed into a small size when not in use. Due to the Draconic Tissues, they are exceptionally durable, and they can lift exceptional weight. When infused with mana, they can either raise their defensive properties, or generate gusts of elemental energy that you control. This is most useful for increasing your aerial movement, but it can also be used as an attack."

 

She squinted her eyes a little. "It seems you can receive a slight discount if you apply similar changes at the same time, so the Wings will cost sixty-five or ninety-five CP depending on whether you take them alone or with the Tissue pattern."

 

In all honesty, I was a little overwhelmed by everything. There was too much information for me to properly process it without seeing it with my own eyes. The only thing I knew for sure was that I didn't have enough CP for anything. It was too frustrating. Out loud, I said, "I'll think about it while I'm down below. My headache has faded quite a bit, and we've almost spent an hour since sunset." I paused a moment, and then sighed. "If you could read out the names and costs of the things that need the Draconic Tissues then... Well, could you do that? I don't need the details."

 

She smiled slightly at me, and started to list everything off. "There are three tails, Spined, Serrated, or Lashing, each for thirty CP. Mana Infused Breath, twenty CP. Spell-Infused Scales, forty-five CP. And Morphic Physiology, a pattern that has 'Draconic' in parenthesis; forty-five CP. Those six are it, aside from the Wings."

 

I nodded, only triggering a small burst of pain. "Thank you for helping me, Kindlesprite. I'm really grateful..." For trying to heal me, for talking with me. I had mixed feelings about the Evolution menu, but she'd definitely helped me with that too. 

 

But now, I really needed to go. I only had so many hours to search for shards, and I would probably reveal their existence in the morning, whether I found enough to reach a hundred CP or not. They might help someone survive the start of the invasion, and getting them earlier would probably be for the best. So... Enough stalling then.

 

Would it be surprising if I said the hardest part of this was writing the reaction to Nyx's memory? Small spoiler regarding Evolution options.

Spoiler

As a little preemptive thing, these evolution options aren't necessarily set in stone. I can think of a few that will appear later that she didn't think of, and a few of these that won't be selected no matter what. They're just... examples, if you will.

[collapse]

26