Chapter 7: Dagger in the Shadows
1.4k 10 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello all!

I'm glad to see people enjoying the story. This chapter is officially the halfway point. I'm really excited to share more with you all soon!

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

CONTENT WARNING: This chapter deals with topics of mental alteration.

Gillian took a step back, a sudden rush of foreign fear exploding through her, the hairs on her neck feeling like prickles. It was a strange and awful sensation, a horrible feeling twisting and churning within her, screaming at her. It said to run, but run she could not, as her gaze was fixated upon the moonlit glimmering blade in the shadows, Mable similarly paralyzed by the frightful gleam. “Who’s there!?” she attempted to shout menacingly, instead resulting in her trembling voice, as tears began to well I her eyes. This was unlike her. She trained so long and hard for this, to be stern hard and true in these situations, but she was gripped by this new emotion, like trying to wake from a nightmare, only for it not to pass.

“Hey boss, that one looks all fancy. I think she’d be worth the pretty cache,” a deep voice chuckled.

“Yeah, and the elf could fetch somethin’ too I bet,” chortled a nasally snicker.

“A’ight boys, y’know the drill ‘en. Get ‘em,” the last one said, tossing his hand forward directing the two forth, the other two answering by erupting out of the shadows.

On the left was a large burly man, his rusty hair reflected on his broadsword as his sharply trimmed beard looked an edged weapon itself, charging at Gillian, preparing his sword by raising it to his back, resting the blade upon his opposite shoulder. Beside him was a smaller scrawnier man in a flopping cap, who lunged forward at Mable with his knife, his dagger moving in with a feint to back her against the wall.

Gillian quaked, unable to move as the large man grew closer to her, unable to look towards Mable out of fear of seeing her hurt, and her legs locked by heavy chains of fear. Her thoughts of her training evaporated. She wanted to vanish, to disappear, she did not want to be here any longer. The man prepared to hurl his hilt at her. Gillian closed her eyes, hoping desperately for this to end, anticipating the inevitable crushing impact which would render her unconscious.

And yet, it never came. Nay, instead what met her was a shrieking howl, a thud, and a clang. As she opened her eyes, she witnessed Mable wielding her staff, a shining red light erupting from it. “Shit! Elfy can use magic!?” the large man bellowed as he desperately put out some flames on his shoulder out with his padded gloves. His sword sliding across the ground as he instinctively released it.

“Ahhhhhh!” screamed the scrawny one, as he flailed around, fruitlessly trying to outrun the flames licking at his cape. “Put it out! Put it out! PUT IT OUT!”

“Shit for brains!” the final silhouette groused emerging to reveal a tall slender man, with tumbling blonde hair, wielding a dagger, much like the smaller one, using it to effortlessly lop off his ally’s flaming cape. “Didn’t anyone teach you that runnin around like that only makes it worse!?” he glared. “You gotta suffocate it, shithead!”

“S-sorry boss,” his nasally voice whimpered pathetically.

“Oi, Roz, get the fancy one! We’ll take care of the elf bitch!” he snarled.

“Gillian! Run!” Mable shrieked, Gillian rising mindlessly at her command.

“Oh no you don’t!” the large one roared.

As Gillian got up to run, she noticed the broadsword beside her. She glared resolutely as she reached to grip it, causing the man to hesitate as she moved to hoist it up. It didn’t matter that she lost her muscles she still knew how to fight, she could still use this sword with a little clever application. She gripped it and pulled it up, the blade dragging on the ground. She took a deep breath as she focused herself. She began to run, the heavy sword dragging across the ground, the large man gripped by shock. She threw her weight to lift the blade off the ground and smacked his thigh with the broad side of the sword. She stared for a moment, panting, as the man stumbled, gripping his leg in pain.

“Gillian!? What did you…!?” Mable asked perplexed by what she just witnessed. She puzzled over Gillian’s actions, why did she do that? She didn’t know much about melee combat, but even she could tell how horrible her form was. The way she gripped the sword and threw the blade, even for someone without the strength, she used it more like an unwieldy hammer than a sword. And while using her small weight was clever, she flung her body in such a dangerous way. She could only speculate as to why she acted that way, Gillian knew how to fight, so why was her behavior so terrible?

Before she could muster her aide, Mable was forced backwards as the two bandits lunged forward, the small one crouching as he plunged his dagger toward her leg, while the tall aimed for her chest. She was lucky to dodge the lower attack as she blocked the higher with her staff, a desperate kick forcing the now crawling man rolling away in pain as he grabbed at his nethers. The tall bandit kept up his assault, his dagger digging deeper and deeper into her staff. It was all she could to ignite the top of her staff with a quiet spell and swing it to force him back like a torch. All the while watching desperately as Gillian seemed to flail against the largest bandit.

“Shit that smarts,” the large man grumbled. “It’s a good thing this broad apparently doesn’t know how to cut things with a blade, else I’d ’ve been in real trouble.,” he chuckled off the pain.

“But that should have,” Gillian stared with wide eyes, confused and bewildered. She struggled to understand what she had done wrong. Something was wrong, she could feel it, but she could not figure out what. However, before she could grasp the answer, she had to prepare herself as the man prepared to attack again, a quick glance confirming her fears that Mable was not coming to her rescue. “No, I will not surrender, I will not let you,” she grumbled as she twisted her body to hoist the sword off the ground once more, hurling it over her shoulder and throwing it towards the man. His eyes bulged as he realized what was happening, the blade hurtling towards him. Another loud clang sounded through the alley as the sword collided with the cobblestone street, crashing and scrapping to a halt.

“What the shit, ya dumb broad,” the man coughed a chortle. “That was actually scary. Nearly cut my head off. Guess what they say is true. The scariest people are the one’s who have no idea what they’re doin or whatever. Credit for creativity though,” he chuckled, “but a girly like you that’s never held a sword before should’a known well enough that you should just leave the fightin to folks like elfy over there,” he smirked as he repositioned himself to grab her.

Gillian looked on in horror as she realized what she had done. She had just thrown her only weapon, her only means of defense against him, it was now once more on the ground, flung far behind the man, far beyond her reach. In her efforts to hurl it, it came close to hitting him as it spun through the air, but the fact that it spun at all was something that she should have known not to do. Yet she struggled to remember why. Why was it such a bad idea to throw her weapon like that? Her eyes grew wide as a horrid epiphany crashed through her. She had not simply lost her muscle, nor simply lost her reflexes, she was forgetting too. She was forgetting how to hold or wield a sword at all. All stances, techniques, and concepts alike seemingly wiped clean from her mind, like a cutting board swept clean of vegetables. Her mind was at war with itself trying to decipher what strategies were the ones she was taught and what was her impulsive unfounded ideas, only to realize that her battle sense was all but obliterated.

She fell to her knees in horror. Fighting was the one constant thing she had spent the past several years learning to do, and it was something she no longer knew. Blank and improper images filled her mind as she tried to recall her training, only able to recall the fantastical fights present in her unrealistic books. Was this another effect of the curse? She could only look up helplessly as the man approached her. She was simply a defenseless maiden now, weak, and vulnerable. Only despair and fear allowed to fill her formerly honed senses.

“Well, enough’a that, let’s go girly,” he snickered as he began to reach for her.

“Gillian!” Mable called out as she tried desperately to break through the other two bandits.

“No. No! NO!” Gillian screamed, her hands trembling at her chest. “STAY AWAY!” she shrieked, throwing up her hands. As the man’s massive hand descended upon him, a faint blue light seemed to flicker from her hands.

“What the hell!?” the bandit tilted his head as he looked at her glowing hands, perplexed. “What is this chick do-,“ he stopped suddenly as immense pain crashed through his body. “AAAAGHH!” he shrieked as he reached for the arrow that was now embedded in his already sore leg.

“ROZ!” the smaller one yelled.

“What the…!?” the leader exclaimed as he turned to the entrance of the alley, his greasy hair flopping to the side. His eyes grew wide with shock. “Wh-what!?” he stammered. Why were they here? At the end of the alley stood a woman, one of the Lumina Knights, in regal white and red armor. She prepared to shoot again, bow and arrow in hand, but it was not aimed at them, but high in the sky.

“They’re over here!” she exclaimed shooting the arrow upwards, ignited with a brilliant flame, driving high into the sky above, alerting the other knights to their presence.

“GILLIAN!” a familiar voice tore out behind her. Aria stood at the end of the alleyway behind her glaring fiercely at large bandit. “How dare you!” she exclaimed as she charged at him, sword drawn. The man quickly pulled out a small, short sword from his belt which he had kept in reserve, using it to parry her attack, girding from the pain of the arrow. He shuffled back desperately, trying to escape her deadly blade bearing down upon him.

“Crap! When the hell did the Lumina Knights roll into town!?” he said gritting his teeth.

“Dammit, Roz, Droy, let’s get the hell outta here,” their boss ordered as he tried to rush the archer, the smaller one running after him.

“Gillian!” Mable exclaimed running to her side as the bandits blew past her. Gillian’s face lit up with awe as she looked beyond Mable. She turned around for a brief moment, she and Gillian witnessing an incredible sight.

In a flash, Xenia turned the corner into the alley way, her own sword in hand, her narrow piercing eyes tearing into her targets. She struck the tall leader in the gut, throwing him against the wall with a hard crash. Before the short one could respond with his obnoxious scream, he too found himself against the pavement, having met the broadside of her sword, leaving Xenia standing above the two unconscious bodies.

“For the love of,” the big one grimaced. “Screw my life, this is absolutely not worth it!” he chagrined as he backed off, throwing down his sword. “I surrender. Just my damned luck that I’d run into the Lumina Knights here of all places.”

“At least one of you has the good sense to do that much,” Xenia said, glaring at him. “Now tell me,” she said approaching him as she kicked away his sword. “Why did you attack these two?”

“I was just following boss’s orders. I don’t gotta clue why he picks the folks he does. Though I imagine it’s cause that one looks like she’s got some valuables on ‘er,” he said gesturing at Gillian, who looked towards the ground. “Is that all?”

Xenia nodded. “Very well,” she motioned over the handful of other knights who were arriving, a few of which had already attended to the other two bandits. “Bind him. We take these three to the city guard at once,” she instructed as she yanked out the arrow in his leg, causing him to release a scream. “And bandage this one,” she threw the arrow to the ground.

“Yes ma’am,” they answered.

“Aria, you stay with Gillian and Mable,” she said looking at Aria.

“Yes ma’am,” she saluted, bringing her fist to her chest then giving a slight bow.

“Are you two, okay?” Aria asked turning her attention to Mable and Gillian, the other Lumina Knights departing.

“We’re fine,” Mable smiled. “Just shaken up, right Gillian?”

“I…I think tis getting worse…” Gillian said frightfully.

“Gillian?” Aria asked concernedly.

“The curse, I think tis getting worse,” Gillian said gripping and shaking her head.

“Gilly,” Mable frowned.

Aria sighed, restraining her desire to ask for Gillian to elaborate. “Let’s get you two back to the Inn, we can discuss things there,” Aria instructed, leading them silently back to the Inn, which fortunately wasn’t far, taking them to Gillian’s room where they sat down. The three sat in moderate silence around a table set up in the corner, which Xenia had been using to look over paperwork. Aria looked concernedly at Gillian, who gripped her dress tightly within her small hands. It was otherwise a simple and peaceful room with two beds, an assortment of tables, warm red painted walls, and magical lamps decorating the room.

“Gillian, are you okay?” Mable asked as she moped in the chair. “Did something else happen?”

“You said the curse is getting worse, what did you mean?” Aria frowned.

“I think…no, I know I am beginning to forget things,” she explained.

“Forget things? Like what?” Aria pressed her, with a surprised and worried face.

“I…I tried to fight back, back in the alley. I picked up that man’s blade and tried to attack him, but it…I was all wrong,” she said beginning to shake as she looked at her hands.

“Hey now, that doesn’t mean that. If it was that broadsword I saw, it may have just been too heavy. It doesn’t mean you’re forgetting how to fight,” Aria tried to console her.

“I…I’m afraid she’s actually right,” Mable said sadly.

“Mable?”

“Aria, you didn’t see it, but the way she tried to swing the sword, it was so haphazard, reckless, wild even. It was nothing like how I saw her practice back at the castle. It wasn’t just that the muscle and strength wasn’t there, it genuinely seemed like she didn’t know how to swing it, like she was just flailing it around. And then she threw it at him, and I’m not certain it was an accident,” Mable explained.

“But Mable…” Aria tried to protest.

“No, she’s right,” Gillian lamented. “I did throw it, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I am even struggling to understand why it was a mistake in the first place. I could not…I cannot remember my training, not even the basics. It felt as if I had never wielded a sword before. I fear the curse is robbing me of it as well, molding me into a perfect, defenseless maiden.”

“Oh, Gilly,” Mable said holding her arm.

“It’s going to be okay,” Aria said with a nod in an attempt to console her. Her blue eyes and her graceful smile both soft and gentle as she took Gillian’s hand. “You’re still you. You aren’t your training or your combat ability. You’re you, the wonderful person that we’re friends with.”

“But…”

“Aria’s right Gilly,” Mable nodded. “Even if you don’t remember how to use a sword, it doesn’t make you lesser. Besides, we’re here to help you.”

“Mable, Aria,” she said, her eyes welling with tears. She began to smile. She truly had some incredible friends, ones that comforted her in this dire time. She may have been afraid, weak, and unable to defend herself, but she had them, and perhaps that was enough. There was no way she could do anything but smile, whispering, “thank you.”

“Alright, for now, let’s get you two to bed,” Aria clapped her hands together. “You’ve had a long day, and I’m sure you want to rest,” she said as she stood up

“I agree,” Mable nodded getting up as well. “I’m so drained after casting so much magic,” she yawned, her long ears twitching through her tumbling teal hair, then settling into a droop. “I’ll see you two in the morning,” Mable waved to them as she headed to her room.

“I guess I should get to bed then,” Gillian sighed.

“Uh, actually, would you hold up a sec, uh… Princess?” Aria reached out to her.

“What is the matter Aria?” she looked at her concernedly.

“I’m just…I’m sorry that I wasn’t there to protect you,” Aria frowned. “I’ve been so distant since we left, and I didn’t mean for that to happen. I got so sucked up in finally being a knight, I failed to remember to be by your side. If I were with you, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Tis not your fault,” Gillian shook her head. “You have been preoccupied, I understand that, and it was I who left without notifying Xenia the past couple days.”

“Perhaps, but even so,” she sighed. Suddenly her face lit up as she approached her. “I know!” she declared. “Gillian, why don’t we talk about what you’ve been doing since we got here,” she excitedly clapped her hands together.

“What I have…” Gillian blushed. “I-I…what has brought all this on?”

“Well, I have heard talking about such things can help people relax,” she gave an embarrassed giggle as she scratched her head.

“A-are you certain?” Aria nodded. “O-okay, well I have been learning to paint,” Gillian said twirling her hair along her finger.

“Painting? I didn’t know you knew how to paint.”

“Uh, yes, er, no. I have only just started to learn, I have been learning about watercolor to be specific. I-is that weird?” she looked at her meekly.

“Weird? I don’t know why it would be,” Aria laughed. “Well maybe besides, it being HUEmorous,” she grinned.

“Aria,” she chuckled. “That joke was particularly flat,” she winked with her own grin.

“There’s that smile,” Aria smiled. “But really, that sounds really cool. I’d love to see what you’ve been working on. I’m glad you’ve warmed up to it.”

“Heh, your jokes are always so silly,” she chuckled. “B-but, are you sure? I am still a novice you know,” she blushed giddily.

“So? I’m sure it’d still be good,” she smiled.

The two continued their banter for a while, teasing each other and joking about various things as time got lost in the night. Then, as the night grew towards the day’s end, the door swung open. “You two? You are still awake?” Xenia said in surprise, returning from handling the bandits.

“Oh! Y-yes ma’am,” Aria shot up, startled by her return. “I was watching over Gillian while waiting for your return,” she saluted. “I-I was trying to help relax her.”

“At ease Aria, you need not be so formal right now. We are all friends here,” she waved her hand signaling to Aria to relax. “Gillian, are you alright?”

“I hesitate to say yes, but I am better than when we arrived,” she said, turning her attention to Aria. “Aria has helped calm me down a great deal.”

“That is good. You have done well, Aria,” Aria beamed as she said that. “I take it the two of them are uninjured?”

“Yes,” Aria nodded, and then immediately shook her head. “Er, wait, there was one thing,” she looked to Gillian.

“What seems to be the matter? I do not see any injuries upon her.”

“Tis the curse,” Gillian said sullenly. “I fear that I am beginning to forget things because of it.”

“Forget?” her eyes grew wide of shock before narrowing with seriousness. “Elaborate.”

Gillian frowned struggling to put words to what she felt. Aria looked at her, nodding to her to relax her. “Gillian professed that she no longer knows how to fight. Her training, her techniques, even basic stratagems seem to be lost to her,” she explained.

“I see,” Xenia frowned. “That is troubling news. I had hoped that she would be able to hold her own in combat. I also had not expected things to be so dangerous so close to the castle, but given these recent developments, I will need to assign someone to defend them. Aria, I shall leave that job to you from here onward. I am certain you are up to the task,” Xenia smiled.

“Y-your Highness… Thank you! I won’t disappoint you!”

“That aside, I believe I should tell you what has happened on my end. Please, take a seat Aria, and Gillian, I desire you to stay as well,” the two nodded as they gathered around the table that Gillian sat at.

“Have you learned something new?” Gillian asked.

Xenia sighed. “I regret to say I have not learned anything particularly relevant. The large bandit and his smaller fellow, Roz and Droy, seem to be sticking by their story that they were just following the tall one, Gat, who insisted upon it being a totally arbitrary ambush.”

“Is that so unusual? While I may not be wearing any remarkable jewelry, I still present a certain air of luxury in this dress,” Gillian questioned as she looked at her blue dress. The color had been known for its more noble affiliations after all.

“While true, there are far more desirable targets. And that aside, their qualities are quite superior to your typical alley rats. Despite their protestations, they seem of a mightier caliber. I am concerned there may be more to this situation than may be apparent,” Xenia considered aloud.

“You think it has anything to do with those rumors?” Aria interjected.

“Rumors?” Gillian tilted her head.

“Yeah, rumor has it that a lot of skilled mercenaries have been gathering here in Gelin. They haven’t really done anything, but a lot of people are on edge,” Aria explained

“Aria’s understanding is correct. I am concerned about what is happening here. As much as I would like to figure out the situation here, with Gillian’s condition it is necessary for us to push on, and swiftly at that,” Xenia said sternly.

“You mean to say that we are just going to ignore things and proceed towards the Dark Forest?” Gillian asked. “Is that truly okay?”

“Indeed. If your estimations are correct about the curse, then we must make haste to the North. Additionally, while we would typically return the bandits to the castle, we will have to leave them in the care of the city guard until we return. Fortunately, our other preparations are largely ready, so we shall be leaving first thing tomorrow morning,” Xenia explained, Gillian frowning in response.

“You want to say goodbye, don’t you?” Aria asked Gillian, she quietly nodded.

“Goodbye? What do you speak of?” Xenia inquired.

“Gillian has been learning to paint from a local girl. I think she was hoping to spend more time learning.”

“Is that so. I shall see what we can dos,” Xenia smiled.

84