Chapter 10: Under the Moon with You
1.5k 13 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I think now is a good time to refer to my general content warning. Gender is felt and means different things to different people. Likewise, what transition means and the extents of it mean different things to different people.

That all said, I hope you all like candy.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

The far Northern realms of Ethnerta’s former domain had been left largely unscathed during the war between their current and former lieges. In truth it was a territory that had been a part of the former kingdom out of convenience rather than loyalty. The lands were ripe with bounty, rich with soils enriched by the nearby mountains and forests, blessings which also formed hard boundaries that promoted their trade routes as the only viable option. In truth, their status was merely functional, and the towns of the Norther-most boundary were both left alone and likewise chose to be more reclusive.

In the wake of the war between Ethnerta and Luxur, the invading kingdom chose to annex the land and otherwise simply ignore the land. A choice which some found dubious given their shared border with the Dark Forest, but all in the region had long since treated it as a land of taboo, and their utility was far more worthwhile to be kept around than purged. As such it would be of little surprise had the people of the area held unorthodox beliefs and paid undue veneration to superfluous gods and held disrespected rituals. Yet, none would care for their unsightly beliefs, so long as they minded their place.

One such town that held itself as such was the town of Hollow, still enjoying in the glow of its abundant bounties and trade. And one such holiday would be their Red Leaf Festival, a celebration of such unusual pagan standard, celebrating their successes of the season, and thanking the fading life around them, their labors paying off as the full moon of their celebration had nearly arrived. It was a night to celebrate their hard work of the season, it was a night to make memories.

“Wow,” Saya’s eyes glimmered. “Tis all so beautiful,” she cheered as she saw brightly dyed banners draping and lanterns dangling from the various roofs. The color and lights all had a unique charm to them, with images of flowers, and the ever-present image of a smiling silhouetted girl holding a flower spread across the streets. The children danced through the street as the adults seemed to bounce across the town, nary a flicker of attention paid to their new guests. “The Red Leaf Festival, huh?” she giggled. “How enchanting!”

“Do not lose focus, Saya,” Xenia scolded her. “Remember what we came here for. We did not come for this pagan ritual,” she said marching on, Saya giving a quiet frown as she swallowed the words she desired to say. It had been nearly a week since they passed through the war broken town, a long agonizing week for her as she struggled to find words and courage to confess her feelings. She had nearly given up at this point. She simply desired for this journey to continue now, using her newfound hobbies as a means to mask her inner turmoil, which seemed to be successful as Xenia and the others seem ignorant of her struggling.

“You do not have to say it like that,” Saya pouted.

“Regardless, we must continue on ahead,” Xenia shook her head as she continued onward.

“Wait, Xenia, hold a moment, please,” Saya objected as she came up with an idea.

“What’s the matter Saya?” Aria tilted her head curiously. Xenia giving a slightly tired and agitated look in turn.

“Tis just. We have been on the road for so long now. Would it not be a good opportunity to boost everyone’s morale? I mean, having a little fun could be really helpful,” she asked with a simple smile, hiding her excitement.

“Saya, you know we need to make preparations before we head out, we do not have time,” Xenia said, shaking her head again.

“With all due respect Princess, I don’t believe we would be terribly successful there. It looks like most of the townsfolk are involved in the festivities,” Mable interjected. “Besides, I think Saya is right, this would be a good time to relax and enjoy ourselves, and we may be able to get some useful information like we did in Gelin.”

Xenia sighed. “I suppose you are correct. But once our preparations are complete, we will be heading out, and I shall procure a room for all of you for the night, but the remainder of our caravan will likely have to establish camp beyond the town’s borders. Is that acceptable?”

“Verily,” Saya nodded as she clapped her hands together, gleefully, Xenia giving another sigh.

“Aria, you are to watch over her tonight, understood?” she said, hiding her frustration.

“Of course, captain!” she nodded. “Shall we then, Saya?”

“Yes! Oh, but first, there is one thing I would like us to do first.”

Saya quickly lead them through the streets in search for something, Aria left only confused and uncertain of her plans as she pursued her. Saya began randomly asked random people a series of hushed questions. She was further bewildered as the denizens would occasionally shoot her a glace as Saya talked to them.

“Thank you,” she waved to one such woman. “Come on Aria! Tis right over there!” she said running off towards an intersection.

“Wait, Saya, you still haven’t told me where we’re going,” she rushed after her. As she turned the corner, she saw Saya giddily jumping in place in front of a store. “What is this…” her eyes grew wide, “…place?” A large wooden sign hung over the door reading ‘The Wonderous Dress,’ with a fanciful dress hugging the far-right letters. As she looked in the store, Aria saw all manner of dresses, many of which in a style she had never seen before. “W-why are we here?” Aria stammered, a blush encroaching upon her face.

“Well, we cannot exactly have fun if you are dressed in all that bulky armor, now can we?” she teased. “Now, come on, I am excited to see you get all dressed up,” she giggled as she led her inside with a tug of her arm.

“I…uh…okay,” Aria blushed. Saya quickly took her to the back to get changed, handing her all manner of dresses as she tried them on. “Oh, that one is very pretty,” she giggled at a fanciful black asymmetrical dress. It had a layered skirt on one side, while leaving her other leg exposed. It had a rather tight bodice, and deep neckline, making it quite revealing, which made Saya giggle giddily.

“This one feels kinda inappropriate for this, don’t you think?” Aria protested with a considerable blush, as the skirt continued to graze her ankle. The dress felt comfortable enough, but she was left with a continual urge to pull at the skirt.

“Oh, I suppose you are right. Something more sensible then,” she handed her another, but much simpler black dress.

“A-are you certain?” she asked. Saya nodded gleefully. “Alright,” she blushed.

Aria emerged, the dress hanging and caressing her elegantly. It was a simple, if tighter design, clinging to her curves which were so often hidden by her armor. It’s short sleeves and long skirt with a slit traveling up to her mid-thigh made it all the more elegant. It had an attached choker creating a rather eye catching triangle around her chest, drawing attention to her bare, and obvious cleavage. It left Aria feeling unusually unguarded and vulnerable, her prominent blush fully capturing her cheeks as she scratched her cheeks with the pair of black gloves that Saya had also picked out for her. Completing the outfit was its white sash, which came to a flower like bow just above her left hip.

Saya looked on in awe as the typically strong and confident Aria stood before her, blushing as she hesitantly stood there, her black flats tapping nervously. “You look so pretty,” Saya’s eyes shimmered.

“I-I…P-princess, w-what are you wearing!?” Aria exclaimed, blushing even harder.

Saya beamed as she twirled, her billowing frilled skirt floating downwards. The solid red skirt had a remarkable sheen to it, making it seem to glow. It had an upside down v shaped opening, which revealed her lower thighs then traveling downward, surrounded by several frilly layers of skirt which seemed to flutter in the air. The bodice had a deep neckline, deeper than Aria’s which hugged her plentiful cleavage in turn, and sash like sleeves drooping upon her shoulders. Completing her dress were a pair of red flats, red gloves, and a deep orange sash around her waist. “The shopkeeper said it was designed specifically for this festival. Is it not preciously cute?” she giggled.

“C-cute?” Aria blinked. Aria shook her head, trying to recenter herself, recalling what Xenia had said about the curse affecting Saya’s behaviors. Was this what she meant, because this…

“Aria?” her thoughts were disrupted as Saya pouted. “Do you not like it?” her eyes seemed to glisten beggingly, craving a response.

“I…of course Princess,” she nodded. “It’s…ravishing, beautiful too,” she continued to blush with much embarrassment. This was wrong, she knew it, but Saya’s eagerness and energy were all but impossible to be swept up by. She had no choice but accept things for the moment as Saya gave a big bright smile. Aria smiled back with a wistful look in her eyes, an impossible to define feeling crossing through her, or perhaps it was something she couldn’t allow herself to define.

The two paid the shopkeeper who seemed rather pleased with her sale and left, the shopkeeper giving the courtesy to send their belongings to the hotel so they could enjoy the festivities. It was impossible not to be caught up in the jovial energies on display, even disarming Aria’s embarrassment a little. There were all manner of games, shops, and food bordering the crowded streets. While Saya was quick to indulge, Aria tried to restrain herself as they ventured the festival grounds.

Suddenly, Saya’s attention was caught by one of the stalls. “Saya? What’s wrong?” Aria asked as Saya gazed absentmindedly into the stall, causing Aria to look at it as well. It was a small game stall, a simple game of darts, prizes placed on series of shelves behind it. Stuffed bears, sheep, and fairies, as well as wooden swords and toys lined the shelves. “What are you looking at?”

She pointed to one of the stuffed fairies, a blonde sprite with a green dress and light blue wings. She had a sweet smile black button eyes and pointed ears. She was slightly reminiscent of one of the fairies in Hannah’s paintings, and filled her with a sense of nostalgia, although why exactly she was uncertain. What she did know is that it seemed inviting, and she was filled with an incredible desire to hug it.

“I see,” Aria nodded. “I’ve got this.”

“Aria?”

“Oh? What’s a pair of fine ladies doing here?” the man running the stall asked.

“I’m going to win that doll there,” Aria winked.

“Oho, we have a confident one here, huh? Alrighty, let’s see what you can do,” he smiled.

It was a simple standard game of darts, simplified somewhat for the children the game was designed for. While feasible to earn such a prized item in one go, it was cunningly designed to be anything but easy. She would need no less than a perfect score to get it in one run, a difficult task for most, especially given how the stall was arranged, but Aria was determined to do it in one strike.

She picked up the first dart and closed stared down her target, holding the dark beside her as she mentally mapped where to throw the dart and how. She smirked, and threw the dart with great force, landing a bullseye.

“Impressive,” the owner said. “But can you do it again?”

Aria smirked as she prepared for the next dart, handily landing another bullseye, and then another, then a fourth, and finally the fifth. “So, what do you think?”

“Dang, didn’t expect a girl like you to win so easily,” he laughed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she glared as Saya pouted beside her.

“You’ve just got some impressive aiming and power there is all. Most folks completely blunder after the first one,” he laughed, grabbing the fairy. “Take it, you’ve earned it.”

“Thanks,” Aria nodded.

“Enjoy the fireworks,” he laughed.

“Fireworks?”

“Yeah, they’ll be later tonight, they’re a real treat, let me tell ya.”

“Thanks, we will,” Aria nodded and turned around, handing it to Saya. “There you go,” she smiled.

“T-thank you,” Saya nodded then smiled giddily as she hugged her new doll. Aria couldn’t help but smile as she hugged it so serenely. It was like watching a little girl cling to her favorite toy, Aria could only smile at her prevalent charm.

“Heh, you really like her, don’t you,” Aria teased as they continued down the street.

“Mhmm, she’s so cute and pretty. And she’ll always remind me of how cool you were winning her for me too,” she smiled.

“N-now you’re just trying to flatter me,” Aria pouted, causing Saya to giggle.

“Come one, come all for the annual Red Leaf Dance!” they heard a nearby man declare.

“A dance?” Aria asked as she looked towards the man.

“What fun,” Saya smiled. “how about we go too?” she bounced.

“Y-you and me?” she blushed.

“Of course.”

“I-if that’s what you want,” Aria nodded sheepishly. “But what about her?” she asked looking at her new doll.

“Heh, I have the perfect idea,” she said as she tucked the doll under the sash of her dress, being sure to make the sash nice and snug for her new companion. It was a tad awkward feeling, but it worked.

“How cute,” Aria chuckled.

“Now hurry, to the dance!” Saya bounced.

“Right, right,” Aria smiled back.

The two approached a large section full of couples giggling and dancing, as soothing romantic music filled the air. The melodious singing of a woman and her band of traveling performers performing a piece about a goddess going to sleep and blanketing the world in her white snowy hair. It was an ancient song, one passed down through local folklore for many a year. Although such music was forbidden by the church, it and its teachings were currently so far away, and the two girls had nary a hesitation to adhere to the tune and embrace the sounds that pulled their bodies along.

The two took each other, hand in hand, just like the day they practiced, slowly swaying and moving, each making a move and answering in kind until they were in a constant and wonderful sensation of synchronicity. Saya gazed into Aria’s eyes, and Aria into hers, hesitation, doubt, and concerns forgotten and erased under their gentle embrace.

The songs changed, people left and others arrived, the two entirely oblivious to the actions around them. They simply moved together, for each other, smiling and gazing, Aria into Saya’s emeralds, and Saya into Aria’s sapphires. Their passions melting and flowing together. Their minds drifted. Aria basked in the warm feelings before her, ignoring the doubts tugging away at her. Saya embraced the warmth, implications, and all.

This was what she wanted; she finally understood the warm syrupy feelings that had been simmering in her all this time. If this moment lasted forever, she could be eternally happy. She was a sweet girl, held in the embrace of her lovely, strong, and beautiful knight, equally protective and elegantly beautiful. This is how she was meant to be, and she could finally accept that. The two drank each other in, moving in instinctively for a hug. Aria high on feelings she wouldn’t dare voice, much like Saya, a feeling they shared in a way, albeit unknowingly.

The two breathed in and out as the moments came to an end, realizing that the music had finished. The two smiling and giggling with an embarrassed blush. “S-sorry, I think I got a little carried away,” Aria chuckled nervously.

“No, no, I had a lot of fun,” Saya laughed. “I…” her eyes grew wide.

“Saya?”

“I…” she shivered. She closed her eyes and then shook as an incredible force overcame her.

“Is something the matter, Saya?” Aria asked as she began fidgeting strangely.

“I…uh…please excuse me. I must go refresh myself,” Saya said, handing the fairy doll to Aria, a great blush encompassing her face. “L-look after her,” she said as she felt a sudden sensation bubbling within her, one alien and new. It was not like the butterflies that fluttered in her when she looked at Aria of late, but a wholly different one. One thing was for certain, it was something she needed privacy for.

Aria waited in silence as she stood by one of the lantern posts. She held the doll that had been shoved into her grasp and looked at it endearingly. “Heh, tonight’s been a wild night, right little one?” she said, hugging it. “Tonight’s been really nice,” she smiled, patiently waiting.

The minutes passed in a way that seemed all too long before she finally noticed Saya running towards her.

“Oh, you’re back,” Aria smiled.

“Y-yes,” Saya smiled back very giddily, almost jumping in place.

“Did something happen? You seem pretty happy all of a sudden,” she chuckled as she handed back the doll.

“Just...really happy about everything,” she said bashfully. “So, what should we do next?”

“Hmm, oh!”

“What?”

“The guy from the dart game earlier mentioned something about fireworks. Do you wanna see them?”

“That sounds lovely,” Saya smiled with a gleeful blush, hugging her doll.

“They’ll probably be a little later on, so let’s look around some more, maybe we could grab some food. I’m kinda hungry now,” she laughed as the continued down the street.

They saw all sorts of games, laughing at the poor performances some of the local men had done as Aria would come in and perform them flawlessly. They ate delicious sweets from afar, such as unique chocolates that had all sorts of flavors and special cream filled crepes which Saya could hardly contain herself over. However, in due time stalls began to close and the crowd began to head towards the park in the center of town, Saya and Aria doing the same.

“Um, Aria?”

“What is it?”

“Thank you, for everything,” she blushed looking into Aria’s eyes. “I do not know what I would have done without you by my side like this,” she beheld Aria’s Sapphire eyes once more as they glittered from the light of the moon. She drank in her essence time seemingly standing still.

“Saya…” Aria stared back into her eyes, bashfully. She knew it was wrong to look at her like this, but there was something that drew her eyes to Saya’s, her Green eyes seemed dazzling under the lively lights, almost glowing with gratitude. “It makes me happy, that I could be of service to you, my lady,” she smiled, trying to maintain her composure, failing as it gave way to her overflowing giddy joy. She still felt her behavior was rather unbecoming, but she enjoyed this day more than she ever could have expected.

Saya’s heart sang as she heard her say that. Her heart took flight as tears of joy began to stream down from her soft eyes. Things were different now, she felt freer than she had ever felt before. It was practically intoxicating. But she could say nothing of her joy, she could not bear it, not yet. Her heartbeat pulsed harder and faster with each passing moment, and she was elated, but it was a feeling she had to keep to herself, at least for now. She at some point began to hug Aria’s arm, which Aria seemed not to mind, bringing greater comfort to her.

“I promise to you, under this moon,” Aria spoke, a gentle firmness filling her voice, her blue eyes glowing with splendor, and her golden honey like hair seemingly radiating with light. “I will do my best and see you to safety, now and forever.” Aria’s words were so graceful and sweet to Saya, much like the honey her hair seemed to be made of. Yes, Aria was her precious knight, and she would protect her from anything, she had no need for strength with her by her side, only her loyalty and compassion. Aria would be there for her, forever. Saya’s mind went off into dreamy thoughts as the two went to sit down underneath a nearby tree to look up to the yonder sky beneath its branches.

“I will cherish this time with you forever,” Saya whispered. Aria gave a gentle smile as she looked up at the moon. She agreed, this night had been one of the best she’d ever known. Spending time with Saya here was a lot of fun, more than she ever expected it to be. She held her close as she lay there, the two in a grand bliss.

Just as the dart game owner said, fireworks began to go off. What wonderous and exotic lights they were, bursting in the air. Not even the castle would put on a show with fireworks, and neither of them had ever gotten to see them before, much less like this. Their minds drifted off as they watched the glimmering lights. Tonight, was a night to celebrate the hard work of the season, and a night to make memories. It was an unforgettable night full of fanciful joy and thanks, and they had plenty to take their fill.

The show went on for what felt like an eternity, time standing still in bliss. Neither of them objected of course, they did not want to see the night come to its end. The bright vivid colors enrapturing them, smiling as vivid blues, greens, yellows, reds, and even pinks illuminated the sky. The wonderful sparks seemingly continuing the moment on in perpetuity. Images of flowers, leaves, and more filled the sky.

The Red Leaf Festival was one meant to say farewell and give thanks to the bounty of the year, celebrating local folklore and the work of the community as the winds of winter blew in. In honoring the end of a moment, it seemed to immortalize it as well, a sentiment which had graced the two girls. They looked longingly into the night sky, much like many had before them, giving thanks to the blessings they had received, and thankful they were indeed.

And yet, as all moments do, this one too shimmered and faded into the night. Time eventually moving on, and the blissful night beginning to give way to the siren of sleep. The two held each other as they returned to the Inn. The others seemingly asleep already, and Aria was ready to join them, nearly falling asleep the whole way back, dozing off with a graceful smile. After seeing her to bed, Saya gave her one last pining look and gleeful smile as she wandered toward the restroom.

In all the excitement, she had gotten a little dirty, and she wanted to freshen up before bed. She enjoyed the experience quite thoroughly now. She had been taught it by Mable and Xenia fairly early on in their journey, and at the time it felt like a frustrating reminder, but now it brought a special and unique joy with it, and it felt even better tonight. The care routine made her skin feel soft and smooth, which made her happy. She looked at herself in the mirror seeing a reflection which for the first time she could remember brought an eager smile to her face. This season had been a whirlwind, and she was thankful for the blessings it had granted her. She had one final thing she desired to accomplish before bed, and as she went to do it, she found herself happier than she expected.

“Thank you,” she whispered at long last with a giddy smile, her new plush snuggled against her as she lay in bed, smiling upon herself. “Thank you so much.”

92