Chapter 12-1: The Words of the Witch
1.3k 9 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello!

As determined by the poll last time, this chapter is being split into two parts, and will both be posted today. I'll be posting the second part in a couple few hours.

 

I would also like to address that this is a pretty heavy chapter, especially early on. So please be sure you're nice and comfortable before reading. Hope everyone enjoys!

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

EDIT: I added dysphoria to the CW

CW: This chapter involves misgendering, deadnaming, dysphoria, and assertions of mental alteration.

The tea was sweet and milky, just as she liked it. It was not until recently that she realized how much a little sugar and cream could bring out the best of her beloved earl grey, and now that she had she could have it no other way. She took a deep breath as she sat upon the blanket, leaning back upon her soft tender legs with a smile.

“Enjoying the tea Saya?” Xenia smiled.

“I am sister,” she giggled. “It is quite pleasant, and it goes well with your crepes Mable.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Mable nodded. “I hear there’s a village nearby that has lots of delicious fruit. Perhaps we should head there next.”

“Oh, I’ve heard of it,” Aria nodded. “Their orchards are full of different types of delicious fruit. At least, that’s what the rumors say.”

“Oh, that sounds delightful,” Saya giggled. “Could we please Xenia?”

“Certainly, sister,” Xenia nodded. “After your training,” Xenia said with a blank face.

“After my… what do you mean?” Saya asked.

“You’re training to become a knight,” her gentle eyes hardened with a sharp glare. “It is what is necessary, brother.”

“B-bro…” Saya began to repeat, as she winced in pain. She shook her head and tried to take a sip of tea.

“Yes, of course Gilly,” Mable added with a strange twisted smiled. “It is what is expected of you.” As she gulped she noticed the taste had dulled, becoming little more than dully flavored water.

“You’ll be quite the powerful knight. Your name will be known far and wide after slaying the witch, Prince Gilbert,” she looked at Aria with pain in her eyes, or at least she tried. She felt like she was suffocating, something was not right. It was as if everything, her feelings, her energy, it had all become dulled.

“B-but, I am not fit for that. I…my body it…it is…” she choked as she looked into her teacup, an old familiar face looking back. It was not hers. His face glared back, with a horrible grin upon his face. She screamed.

In the moment of horror, she jolted upright, from the cushioned seats that acted as her makeshift bed. It was a nightmare, a terrible nightmare. She gripped her body, firmly pressing upon it as she let out a joyous sigh. She was still herself. She took a deep breath as she glanced out of the windows, the scenery rolling by. She must have fallen asleep as they went upon their way. She frowned. That was right, today was the day, the day they would finally arrive at the Dark Forest. The day they would finally set out to slay the witch Phordata. She trembled. Was this the end of her journey? The end of… She shook her head. She refused to think of it. But it was so close now. It was approaching her so quickly, and she was unable to stop it now.

“Your highness, are you okay back there?” Rosa called to her.

“Y-yes, I was simply napping,” she answered through the window, the knight’s shoulder length rose gold hair bouncing in response.

“A nightmare, huh?” she called back. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine, just trust in us.”

Saya frowned. “Tis what I am afraid of,” she whispered. She felt so alone. She did not even have Mable or Aria with her today, only left with her and the driving sisters to keep her company. What was potentially worse was that she was uncertain if their presence would help or further the pain she felt now. Additionally, while she did not dislike Rosa and the others, she was also uninspired by their bold confidence right now, it only deepening her sorrow.

She tried to distract herself. She tried to think of stargazing, only to be reminded of the nights and conversations she had with Mable. She tried to think about painting, only to be reminded of her time with Hannah, and the promise she made her. Each and every topic, history, food, sights, they all looped back to that central thought. Everything she had come to enjoy was so undeniably connected to who she was now and could only remind her of her immediate situation. And before she knew it, her precious little time had expired, the carriage slowing to a halt, ceasing even the currents that kept her heart suspended. She sat there mortified. The time had arrived, without so much as a reprieve to collect herself. However, she could not hide, as the door to her carriage opened.

“Your highness, we have arrived,” Cordelia told her, her long blonde hair edged out with a halo as she held the door open for Saya. She could no longer prolong it, no matter how much she wanted to. She made her way off the carriage. “Captain Xenia is waiting for you,” she said, pointing her in toward her Captain.

Saya took a sorrowful sigh as she approached her sister. “Xenia,” she called out hesitantly.

“Ah, Gilbert,” Xenia called to her. Her heart and body shook as she heard that name, an indescribable pain shooting through and clutching her, completely overtaking her, it hurt even more than it did in her nightmare. She felt a sudden sinking feeling as tears began to well upon her eyes. The only word bubbling in here mind being ‘why?’ “Are you alright?”

“H-huh?” she blinked, doing her best to swallow the sudden surge of pain.

“Now is not the time to space out dear brother,” she tightened in pain. “I realize you are worried, but fear not, we shall be victorious.”

“I just…why did you…”

“Hm? Oh, you mean your name? I doubt we need to concern ourselves with the likes of spies or mercenaries any longer, and as such I believe your pseudonym is no longer necessary, would you not agree? I have already instructed the others as such,” Xenia stated plainly.

“N-no longer necessary?” she repeated. She wanted to protest, she desired it greatly, but the words would not come, the pain was too great. She tried to swallow the dry bitter air in her throat, as those word jumbled in her head. Her name was still necessary, or at least, she believed as such. It was her name after all, the one she chose for herself. It hurt to have described as if it were some disposable object.

“I’ve fetched the horse ma’am,” Aria chimed in, snapping Saya’s attention to her, as she guided a large tan-haired horse to them.

“H-horse?” Saya stammered. “Whatever for?”

“Did you not hear a single word I said?” Xenia looked at her with frustrated concern.

“I-I apologize.”

“Don’t worry, Gil,” she tried to hide how her body wretched at that name. “I’ll explain. The captain has determined that it’s best you ride with us to witness the witch’s death,” she explained.

“W-what? W-why?”

“I understand that you feel vulnerable, but we are uncertain of how these things work. It may be necessary for you to participate to repeal the curse,” Xenia elaborated. “Fear not, Aria, myself, and my other knights will keep a close guard of you, brother.” Her heart shook as they continued to talk to each other, discussing stratagem and procedure, but Saya was too gripped by pain to pay attention. She began clutching her chest, as if to chase the phantom agony as her sight burrowed into the ground.

“It’ll be okay, Gilly,” Aria said with a confident smile, her grasp on her shoulder snapping her attention upward. “You’ll have us with you the whole time.” Saya struggled a nod, unable to hide her frown. Aria looked on, her eyes full of worry as she tried to find words to help her friend muster the much-needed courage for the road ahead, wholly unaware that her words deepened the pain she was feeling. She looked to Xenia who could only shake her head in equal befuddlement. Saya suddenly felt very alone, as if she had become invisible, cloaked in a visage she did not desire. It took her all she had not to collapse in pain and gag as their words tumbled in her mind.

In due time, the band of knights had assembled, one bringing her a large stallion to ride. Saya mounted the tan stallion, a discomforting unsettling sensation consuming her. It was not that she no longer knew how to ride a horse, in fact, much to her surprise, it seemed to be one part of training she had inexplicably managed to withhold, though at this moment she lamented that fact. Rather, instead of her mastery of riding, she became discomforted by the meaning behind mounting the massive creature. The horse’s neighs were heavy, rough, and strong, traits she identified that should in any other circumstance relax her, but rather seemed to prickle upon her neck, reminding her of the solid strong form she seemed to be hurtling towards once more.

She looked behind her, seeing Mable in the distance sitting on the front of the carriage with a knight. Mable gave her an encouraging smile and waved at her. It gave her some peace of mind, but she was reminded of the seemingly infinite space between them. She was not truly so far away, but she felt so far away and alone. Even so, she mustered a smile and waved back, trying her best to tell her friend she was fine. She took a deep breath trying to center herself. Herself. As she turned back around, that word rang in her head. Would she soon have to abandon it? Would she have to abandon her name? Her identity? This form which she found so fulfilling?

She tightly gripped the reigns of her horse as she tried to think of herself as a man again. The thought only inspired pain within her, one which only seemed to deepen and thicken within her. She tried to hide her pain, swallowing the screams, only to silently weep.

From afar, Aria watched on with a frown. Why was her friend weeping so? “Captain,” Aria began as she turned to face Xenia. “I’m worried about Gilly.”

“I know,” she sighed. “I fear the witch’s curse may be working its wiles upon him,” she grimaced. “We must hurry. Fiona, are our preparations complete?”

“Yes, your highness,” the knight replied. “Everyone is ready to head out.”

“Good, then mount your horses. We set out immediately!” Xenia ordered as she mounted her noble steed, Bella. “To slay the witch!” she declared.

The other knights roared in affirmation, as their horses began to gallop forth into the misty forest trail. Saya’s horse set forth as well as she could only tremble in fear. They were all cheering for bloodshed, to end a life, and in a sense, end hers as well. She bent over, trembling as the horse’s swift movements caused her light form to bounce atop of it uncontrollably.

The heavy stomps of the horses only seemed to inspire greater anxiety in her, each step feeling heavier than the last. The air became thick and heavy with moisture. Her tears seemed to overflow as the humidity thickened. Before she knew it, they were deep in a cloud of fog. They were already so deep into the Dark Forest, causing her heart to further sink. She wanted it to stop, she wanted all of it to stop, her tears consumed by the thickening fog.

“You would like it to end?” she heard a voice, causing her to blink frightfully. Who was that?

The knights slowed to a much slower and stable gallop as the fog began to erase the path ahead.

“Damn, is there no end to this?” Aria grumbled. “We don’t have time for this.” Was it Aria or one of the knights she heard?

“Calm thyself, Aria,” Cordelia instructed. “It is too reckless to run off in this soup.”

“I know,” she sighed. “Still though, this fog is really inconvenient.”

“Heh, yeah. Can’t really navigate our way through this crap,” Rosa lamented. “At least we have Mable’s lamps to guide us a little better.”

Saya dug into the reigns even more as the bodies of the voices seemed to disappear into the fog. And yet, there was a sense of calm welling within her as well. A thought began to turn inside her. What if they couldn’t find the witch? What if they failed? No spilled blood. No returning to ‘him.’ Just a quiet loss, consequence of this impenetrable fog. Yes, perhaps that would be good, she found a quiet smile upon her face. But, what of her family? What of father? Would they accept that? Failure meant dishonor upon her family, that was what her father had said. Was it really fair of her to act so selfishly, even if she so desired it? And yet could they combat such futility?

Saya looked up, barely catching a glimpse of Xenia ahead of her. “Calm thyselves, we must remain vigilant. The witch expects us to become unnerved. We must remain resolute. We will not lose to her mind games,” she sternly instructed the others.

Xenia was not going to give up so easily, of course she would not give up to just some mere fog. Saya frowned as her hopelessness grew deeper. The chances to avoid her fate seemed to vanish by the second, as it quietly grew closer.

“So, all you need then is for all chance of victory to be eliminated, is that right?” the voice from before asked. Saya’s eyes shot open in confusion. This voice. It didn’t belong to any of the knights, she was certain of it now.

“W-what was that?” she asked, her voice trembling. Whose voice was that? Where did it come from?

“Gilly?” Aria called out to her. “Is something the matter?”

“Very well then my dear, I shall grant your desires,” the anonymous voice continued with a sickly-sweet tone.

“W-who are you?” Saya called out, her voice shaking with panic. Their voice was teasing, as if reveling in her anxiety. What did it want?

“Captain, something’s wrong!” Aria called out to Xenia, Bella coming to a halt as she turned to face her and Saya.

“Besides, it is finally time we should meet. Now, come to me,” the voice commanded.

“Gilbert, what is…” before Xenia could finish, Saya’s horse rose into the air from a sudden spur of panic, Saya struggling to hold on. No, that was wrong, it was as if something was forcing her to hold on. She could not let go, even if she desired it, though she certainly desired to hold on now. The horse stamped its hooves upon the ground and charged out of the pack and into the forest.

“GILBERT!” Xenia yelled. “Bella, go!” she commanded charging in hot pursuit, Aria following quickly behind her. Saya could barely hear the other knights beyond a few distant barked orders to remain together.

The horse tore through the forest, charging deeper and deeper still, the occasional glance to her side confirming that Aria and Xenia were managing to keep up with the berserk stallion. It thrashed about as it stampeded deeper into the woods, as if possessed by some other force. Its hooves stamped as branches snapped underneath its tantrum as it swerved uncontrollably between the trees and leaping over the sudden drops of the uneven terrain. On and on it rode, vanishing into the thick fog, hurtling toward an unknown destination.

Eventually her horse emerged into a clearing, trees surrounding them on all but one side, where a cliffside stood, the fog seemingly lightening as she could see to the other side. Suddenly her horse ceased, slowing to a stop in the clearing as Aria and Xenia emerged behind her. Unable to take anymore of the rampaging horse, Saya dismounted it, wobbling on the ground, Aria and Xenia quickly descending their horses as well, running towards her.

“Are you alright Gilbert?” Xenia asked concernedly.

“I…” she wanted to say no. She wanted to collapse into tears. And before she knew it she had already begun bawling, betraying the façade she had been shielding herself with. “I want to go home!” she cried. “I do not want to be here!” she sobbed. Aria and Xenia unable to do anything but watch on awkwardly as she cried. She did not want to be here any longer, no she never wanted to be here in the first place. She wanted it all to stop. She wanted something, anything to stop it all.

“Gilly,” Aria tried to reach out to comfort her, but as she did she was disrupted by the sudden whines of the horses. Just as Saya’s horse had done before, all three of their horses suddenly panicked, rising and stamping before tearing back into the woods.

“Bella!” Xenia shouted, calling after he fleeing horse. “Bella…” she repeated forlorn.

“What just happened?” Aria wondered aloud.

Saya rose to her feet, the sudden outburst snapping her out of her tears for the moment. No, that was not true. It was not the horses sudden rampage that snapped her out of it. It was something else. She looked on into the woods, a sudden sense of anticipation pulling at her. Someone was coming, and she had a feeling she knew who it was, something deep within her fully certain of the foreign presence. “S-she’s here?” she whimpered.

“Gilly?” Aria asked before her and Xenia’s attention snapped towards the looming forest beyond them, the sense of anticipation gripping them as well.

“So, you’ve finally arrived?” a voice reached through the clearing. It was loud, clear, a distinctively playful in tone. It was the taunting voice of a young woman. “It took you so long to finally get here,” she teased.

“Who’s there!?” Aria demanded.

“Is that you, Phordata!?” Xenia snarled, readying her blade.

A high-pitched laughter filled the air, as from the far misted trees emerged a woman donning a purple cloak. She removed her hood, her face revealed, pristine and youthful. Her face was strikingly beautiful, plump yet perfectly narrow. She could not be much older than Xenia, a quarter of a century at most. Yet her eyes were wily and wise, full of age and knowledge. Her long smooth purple hair glowed with energy, matching her glowing purple eyes and purple eyeshadow. “You called for me Princess? What is it that you desire?”

“You know why we are here!” Xenia replied with her saber like tongue. “I will see to it that this day is your last,” she declared as she unsheathed her sword.

“Oh? I wasn’t referring to you,” she said shooting a glance at Saya. “That aside,” she chuckled, placing her hand to her hip. “I suppose you’re on an errand from that putrid man of a father, aren’t we?” she chuckled. “He has to make his own children sully their own hands for his sins? How typical of such a man. Although, I suppose he is getting on in years, isn’t he,” she mocked. “I imagine his strength has become quite feeble.”

“No, we are here to end the curse you laid on my fair brother,” her blade shook with anger. “Or are you so vile that you neglected to remember that?”

Phordata raised her finger to her face as if to think, and the smiled. “Oh, yes, that old thing. Although I hardly see what killing me would do about that.”

“Enough of your foul words!” Xenia snapped. “With your death, this curse shall end, and my brother restored. Before his time runs dry I shall see you run through,” Xenia bellowed, “DIE!!!”

“You’re through, witch!” Aria declared, as she and Xenia rushed at Phordata.

“Aria! Xenia!” Saya exclaimed reaching out for them. She felt so powerless as she watched them dash towards the witch, burning passion in their eyes as they gripped their swords, passion which was all too terrifying to her. Was this really how this was all to end? Her heart trembled fearing what the next few moments would bring. She desired their safety, and yet, should they succeed, what would become of her. She could only freeze as fear planted itself ever deeper into her mind.

Phordata gracefully dodged their blades with ease, elegantly jumping to the side with a spin before gracefully falling some number of feet further beyond them, much to their surprise. The two glared at her before preparing themselves and continuing their assault, nary a moment of hesitation between them. Xenia took lead as she leapt with equal grace towards Phordata cleaving a swift clear strike, one which Phordata dodged with a seemingly effortless hop. However, behind her, Aria having read their movements, answered with a slash of her own to catch the airborne witch. The witch dodged again, leaping and spinning into the air, a plant’s vine emerging from the ground, catching her as she chuckled. It creaked downward then snapped back up, launching her once more into the air as the two knights rushed to slash at the descending witch.

“Stop it,” Saya whispered.

It was as if she were dancing, responding to their attacks as if they were mere back up dancers to exemplify her glory, wondrous spins and splendor taunting them with her absolute control. No sooner would they manage to get close enough to attack that she would simply float away from their grasp. They handled bandits and mercenaries before fine and well, Xenia had a pristine record for such things, but Phordata stood above such small powerless beings as if playing with simple toys, even reminiscent of how overpowering Xenia had seemed before to Saya, only now their opponent. A fact which only became more apparent with each action she took.

“Please…” Saya whimpered.

The two remained determined as they redoubled their efforts. With a simple trade of glances, the two pushed on into battle, a plan building between their minds, strategy and planning exchanged only with a conversation of glances and gestures. Phordata grinned as she continued to dodge their blades. One would stab forth the other would seek to pursue and punish her movement, forcing her further backward. Each maneuver pushing her further and further away, until finally she found her back to the cliff. “It’s over!” Aria declared as the two blades sought to pin her to the wall and finally slay her.

Phordata gave a wily grin as large roots erupted from the wall, catching their blades in their thick wooden flesh. The two took hardly a second before they immediately attempted to mount the roots, climbing it to deny her refuge. “My you are persistent, aren’t you,” she chuckled, as her eyes began to flicker. Yet more roots erupted from the cliff, further barring their way, rendering their attempts for naught.

“Dammit,” Aria spat as she and Xenia backed off for the moment, prying their blades free.

“Now this is humorous isn’t it. Your skills may be impressive for a pair of knights, but they’re quite paltry compared to a witch like myself,” she chuckled. “Between this and your handling of the situation over there, I assume that you know very little about magic,” she teased with a prickling giggle, the root seemed to force them off of it and back onto the ground behind them. “Although, I suppose your ignorance is to be expected.”

“What do you mean!?” Xenia barked.

“What do I mean? What I mean is you don’t know anything about me or that spell,” she mocked, the roots retracted enough for her to be visible once more. “You came all this way on wayward instruction without any real understanding of your situation or opponent. Isn’t that right?”

“What is there to understand!?” Xenia barked. “You cursed my brother. Corrupted his mind and body in an effort to antagonize our family. From his demeanor to his capability, you hath torn it all away. And you will pay for that!” she hissed. Saya winced from her assertions. Did she truly believe she had been corrupted so thoroughly? She hesitated as she wondered about that. Was she corrupted? Why? And if she was, what was to be the end result, and for what purpose? Yet beyond all of that, if she was so corrupted, why did it bring her such joy?

“And that is exactly what I am referring to,” Phordata’s words snapped Saya’s attention forward. “You don’t understand that so called ‘curse.’ In fact, your base assumption of it being a curse at all is a wholly false and laughable one, and don’t get me started on those assertions of corruption,” she laughed.

“For one,” she continued, “at its core, it is a spell that requires consent, it requires desire, not mine mind you, but of the recipient,” she said with a sinister yet still playful tone. “Its effects only truly take hold once one accepts it. It can begin with some body alterations, but its full effects cannot take hold unless and until the recipient desires and accepts them. Once they do the effects are permanent, ir-re-vers-i-ble,” she lingered on each syllable. “Do you understand? The changes have to be accepted by the individual for the spell to work, and it won’t force one’s mind into submission either. If they don’t want it, then the spell fails.”

Saya blinked as she heard the witch’s explanation. She was uncertain why, but some feeling deep within her compelled her to believe her words. She looked to her hands and thought of how the spell took hold of her. Even in the beginning, there was a certain acceptance, an intrigue and excitement, although at the time she could not admit it, even to herself.

Through the shame and embarrassment, there was a thrill from the beginning, a quiet want she had refused to acknowledge. The embarrassment she felt then, what if it was that desire Phordata referred to? The more she thought of it, the more it made sense to her. And then there was the last part. It was permanent, so long as she accepted it. Those words nearly made her collapse with relief. She looked up seeing Xenia gripped by discomfort from the witch’s words, and Aria standing firm with resolve, snapping her back into the moment.

“I see, then so long as Gilly rejects the spell, we’ll have time then?” Aria confirmed, gripping her sword and taking a ready stance. “Perfect, then I can take my time running you through!” Aria leapt once more at the exposed Phordata who once again dodged her blade with a simple playful skip to the side.

“Time?” Phordata chuckled. “Oh, I do have to wonder about that. The spell may not change one’s identity, but that doesn’t mean the changes have been unwanted,” she eyed Saya. “Well? What do you think, prin-cess?” she lingered on the last word with playful prejudice, reveling in every detail she dangled, Saya’s eyes growing wide. “I am capable of reversing this ‘curse,’ so long as it is what you want and the spell hasn’t finished of course.”

“B-brother?” Xenia shook looking toward Saya in confusion, seeing her clearly in pain.

“Gilly? What’s she talking about?” Aria shifted her gaze towards Saya as well with matched bewilderment.

“I… I…” Xenia and Aria did not understand as her newfound relief inverted and contorted into horror. How could they? They knew nothing of what she felt. Even so, each word Phordata said tortured Saya. Phordata’s words were driven into her and twisted like a knife. That deep compulsion, she could feel it, this was no mere bluff, Phordata knew she was relieved, knew the fear that had been billowing within her. “I…” How she knew did not matter, for it scared her more than anything she had ever felt. More than the mercenaries, more than the thought of becoming a knight again, more than even her father’s cruel glare. “I…” her voice quaked she took a step back and shook her head. This had to be a nightmare. No, this was worse, because she was incapable of waking from this. Why here? Why now? Why like this? It was as if everything was collapsing around her, all hope inspired then torn asunder. She could not take it any longer. “I…”

“Is that shame I hear?” Phordata teased. “That’s not very healthy dear,” she gave a sickly-sweet smile. “Wouldn’t it be best to tell them the truth, my dear? Come now, bring an end to your suffering,” her voice sweetly invited, just as the voice Saya had heard in the fog. Saya quaked in horror staring on upon her sister, friend, and witch each with the same incomprehensible fear.

“No!” she said with her eyes open wide. “No!” she clutched her chest in fear. “NOOOOO!” Saya shrieked, turning and running into the forest behind her, tears flying as she spun. It was too much. She could not face them. Not like this. It was too much.

“Brother, wait!” Xenia called out.

“Where are you going!? Gil!?” Aria exclaimed with equal panic. The two watching in horror as Saya disappeared into the thick shadows of the woods, paralyzed by her abrupt departure. “Gil…”

“Well girls, it’s been fun,” Phordata laughed. “But I’ll be on my way now.” Xenia turned to face Phordata, any strong stances she tried to muster crumbling much like the confident words she had dying in her throat. All she could do was helplessly reach out to her in defiance, with even that betrayed and muddled by her pained expression. “What?” Phordata sighed, giving them a bored expression. No, not bored. She…was she frustrated? “Are you just going to let her go? All so you can fail in combat to me once more?” Phordata gave a twisted grin at them. “I suggest against that waste of all of our time,” she said beginning to walk away.

“T-that’s…” Aria stammered.

“Oh, and a word to the wise,” Phordata continued turning to face the two once more. “If you value your relationship, don’t run away,” she said in a strangely strict, and, dare to say, warm and caring voice, which sent shivers down Xenia’s spine as the warm words flew through her chilly body. Why did her voice sound so nostalgic to her? Who was this Phordata? What were these strange feelings building within her?

The roots retreated back into the cliff as she walked back into the mist thick trees. Just as she appeared, she was once more gone, melting into the mist. As the Princess and the knight stood in shock of what had occurred, and fear for what was to come, their minds and bodies turning towards Saya.

“Captain…Xenia, what do we do?” Aria asked her strong demeanor falling away and shaking from fear and consternation.

Xenia took a deep breath. There was only one option they could pursue right now. “We must find him.”

81