0 – The white cushion
1.3k 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eons have passed, and countless heroes have both risen and fallen. The eras changed hands between countless proteges, one stronger than the other. Systems have risen to great popularity, dictating people’s lives through their road to the pinnacle. Legends such as these repeat themselves up to this day…

Sip

A sound echoes in the distant void.

There seems to be nothing in this wide space that seemed to span endless, nothing besides a table and 3 white cushions. It was a knee-high table that had three teacups resting on its surface, steaming out as if the tea were just prepared. The teapot that laid on the center of the table was nothing fancy, made of dull white ceramic just like the steaming teacups.

The calm and peaceful scene continued in silence until another sipping sound was heard. None of the teacups were raised, not even a slight movement. Only slight ripples could be seen from one of them as the water level of the tea mysteriously lowered.

“Old One, why have you called upon us?” a calm yet serene voice sounded out. It had a proud ladylike demeanor that radiated with pride and arrogance.

“Ohoho, I was just getting bored now. What is it to invite you and Old Three for a cup of tea since we have not met in ages!”

This voice was rather loud and husky as if it were to be spoken by an ancient who has lived for an eternity.

“Old One, I don’t want to be playing your stupid games! Tell me why you invited both me and Old Three here. We are not as free as you are, we have many children to take care of!”

The serene voice seemed to have taken a harsher tone this time, the volume was also raised by magnitudes. This was followed by a loud bang on the table that sounded as if the table should have been split in half, to say the least. Alas, the table remained completely fine without even a single scratch as if everything was just an illusion.

Another sip was heard as the tea rippled yet again, this time from a different direction from where both voices sounded. Yes, it came from the last cushion at the table, or at least what was on that cushion.

“Relax Old Two, let us hear what he has to say first. We could always beat Old One up and hang him out to dry if he is really just inviting us out just to talk about dragons and phoenixes.”

A young mellow voice echoed out. This mellow voice that sounded out was one that would surprise many. The voice itself had a childish hue to it yet a trace of refined elegance that betrays one would expect of one that young. The contents themselves would also send shivers down one’s spine since it was said in such a calm manner.

“Relax, Old Two and Three. I was just inviting both of you since I have come up with something fun. I just wanted your input to see how much more we can make of this.”

The old husky voice chuckled out hoarsely with enthusiasm. Childlike innocence and expectation could be felt from these words. It was as if a child had finally found a new toy to play with.

“Oh……”  A disappointed serene voice sounded out.

Shing

There was the sound of a sword was being drawn slowly. A hundred-meter sword with a scarlet pink glowed as it was raised far above the tea table, leaving a large shadow that was pointing in the direction of one cushion. The sword threateningly lay above that cushion as it slowly descended bit by bit.

On another side, a soft flap was heard as a fan appeared and was spread open. Thousands of fireballs as big as a sun appeared from the void, threatening to exterminate everything within a million-mile radius. These enormous fireballs radiated endless heat as they gravitated towards one of the cushions inch by inch.

“W-wait both of you! Just hear me out first!” The ancient husky voice sounded rather panicked as if trying to fix a misunderstanding.

A short period of silence ensued. The sword and fireballs hovered in the air as they temporarily halted all movement, seemingly awaiting to deliver judgment upon that one small white cushion if the wrong words were spoken.

“Come on, this is an idea I have spent a millennium thinking about! You have to at least give me some face before deciding on any punishment if due fit.” The old husky voice begged in deference. The owner had clear assumed that he was undeserving of such treatment.

“Tch-Go on, we are waiting.” An impatient yet serene voice sounded out, slight irritation could be heard with the click of a tongue.

“Okay okay, just relax. You see I was thinking about giving a gift to someone.” The old husky voice spoke out in a joking manner.

"“So, it is just another system?”" Two disappointed voices could be heard as the looming threats seem to be charging up.

“Wait! It is not just any other system! It is one of those popular sign-in systems that the other coots are raving about!”

“And?”As if awaiting the sale pitch, the bored child-like voice asked without much expectation.

“Well you can have multiple sign-ins, but the twist is that the prizes are randomized on a wheel and that those within a 20-mile radius can hear the sign-in recipient!” The rough voice excitedly exclaimed as if introducing his greatest idea of all time.

“Hmm, that does sound a bit intriguing. Don’t you think so Old Two?” The mellow voice questioned out. Curiosity could be felt lingering from these calm words, anticipating what is to come.

“Umu-" It was a sound of agreement.

“How about making it such that the recipient has to sign in at least once a day. That would ensure we wouldn’t get too bored. The prizes will also range from trash to all sorts of treasures! Then everyone can share the joy and sorrow together!” The innocent child-like mellow voice chimed out excitedly, yet the content consisted of nothing but insidious and harmful thoughts.

“H-hey Old Three, wouldn’t that be a little too cruel-" The old voice hesitated as the additional input felt a bit too sadistic to his liking.

“Shut it old man, you were the one who wanted an interesting system and our input!”

The mellow voice viciously bit back. The thousand balls of flare also started to burn brighter, threatening to reduce everything into ash. 'No' was not an option.

“Calm down, Old Three. How about giving the poor recipient some coal during winter. Let us also display the affection levels so he or she can tell if there are any threats. That should give him some ideas and allow him to plot for himself.” The serene ladylike voice sang out with a light chuckle, nothing but nefarious intentions could be felt from these seemingly innocuous words.

“Wouldn’t that make him worry more and just entertain the both of you more?” the voice sounded out in a worrying tone before pausing in between, “Haih, alright I won’t argue with the both of you looking at how you won’t take no for an answer.”

A sigh of resignation could be heard. It seems the first voice had given up on persuading the other two and allowed them to wreak havoc.

“"It is settled then.””

“Remember to DM me his ID when you are done with the ‘gifting’.” The mellow voice chuckled out as it slowly fades away into the distance.

“Same for me Old One, you do not want to test my sword.” The serene voice sounded as it left the space.

“Sigh…I just wanted to have some fun. Now, it looks like someone will have to suffer at my expense. I should just sneak in a tiny bit of help just in case-" The old husky voice reverberated in resignation, this idea that initially seemed fun slowly transformed into a huge pain in the ass.

This lonely voice then slowly faded away as there was no longer anybody present in this space. All that was left in the space after the last voice left was just a table, teapot, three teacups, and three pristine white cushions.

~~~~

This story should continue in the official chapter 1. It is just a pet project so just have fun, extra suggestions are welcome but may not be implemented. This is probably going to be like every other junk food Chinese novel out there, so do not expect anything mind-blowing.

In case anyone is still familiar with Old X, Old Y before reading this. It is used to express an old friend that someone has known for a long time in a familiar sense, if not familiar then it is just implying he/she is old elderly I guess.

30