5 – Neighbors
717 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clank

A rusted axe landed beside the young man.

Liu Xun grabbed the hilt of the axe and gave it a long glance. This was his partner who had been throughout his career as a woodsman. Every etch and dent on the handle felt familiar to him as he swung this axe for the last seven years. It was a faint reminiscence back to the first day he obtained this partner from his father. The axe was basically almost up to his shoulder height back then.

Liu Xun could recall the days he spent practicing on the axe swing. A 9-year-old boy swinging a large axe from dawn till dusk. Back then he was still green, most of the chores he could assist the family with was chopping firewood.

Sometimes, he split the wood. Other times, he missed it completely. Despite that, Liu Xun was not afraid of failure as he kept chopping day after day, month after month, year after year.

His past aim was to become a great woodsman to take over his father’s role when turned old. Now, however, he was given a chance to aim higher.

An old ambition and a weary partner. In the end, I still could not bear to part with you though.

Liu Xun gave another sigh as he chuckled, bring it into the new courtyard. The courtyard was rather small, it was only about 10 metres wide. There was sparse vegetation as it was mainly to function as a practice ground for the young would-be cultivators.

Looking in the house, there was the barest of accommodations. A bed, a table with three stools and a small stove by the corner. To be fair, with the care of the servants for both laundry and meals, even the stove was unnecessary. However, life would look miserable if one lacked too much.

Was the main family being too unfair? That could not be so, the surrounding had a thicker presence of qi. This small plot of land that was rich in spiritual qi was greatly valued by the Liu Family. It was their biggest treasure. This land was mainly shared between the clan patriarch, elders, cultivators as well as promising juniors.

It was a blessing for Liu Xun to be given the opportunity to cultivate here. He would not complain about free gifts.

 On the table lay 3 small pills, ‘Tiny Essence Pill’ were their official name. One of the few types of pills made for unawakened mortals. The amount of qi given is minuscule but would ensure that there would be no backlash. It was essentially accumulated dregs of the weaker qi essence pill ‘Small Qi Pill’.

The family elders had already known Liu Xun was a mortal based on sensing his cultivation level. They could not detect his cultivation root level though, as it requires a special master of the Core Inversion realm to be able to do so. Those established seniors were already sect masters of sects like the Thousand Blossom Sect or even elders of greater sects.

"Status"

Cultivator:

Liu Xun

Roots:

Mortal

Cultivation Level:

Unawakened [35/38] (-10%)

System Credit:

98

Inventory:

Cons: 3x Premium Gacha Talisman

Misc: [System Subscription Channel], [System Rulebook]

Skills:

Passive: Minor GuanXin Knowledge

Talents:

None

"It is great that I can gain some points. Those great ones are all making a laugh out of me. I better do more sign-ins to reduce the penalty and entertain them more."

This would also reduce suspicion surrounding me.

Liu Xun thought to himself as he placed his trusted hatchet by the corner of the room before taking a seat by the table. He slowly recalled yesterday when he went home and told his family of the Liu Family’s decision as well as his own aspirations.

--

His father showed a sign of surprise, but one could tell that there was a tinge of disappointment during their conversation. Young Liu Xun had always been telling him that he would support the family when he matured. The old man had never doubted his words. A few years more before he could bear the mantle, alas his son was now a great man. A father should always be proud.

Liu Yuankai just gave a slight smile. The eldest son was already on the path towards immortality. Having another family by his side would make his journey less lonesome, it was still a treacherous path to thread, nevertheless.

Before departure, he also told Liu Xun that if he had any trouble, he could come to him for help. As a promising inner disciple of the Thousand Blossoms Sect, Liu Yuankai also suggested that he could attempt to get a nomination from his sect elders to try to give his younger brother a leg forward in the cultivation world.

Yu Wan was a just mother. She was fine with wherever her son would go, she just wanted him to be safe and visit home often.

The little girl Liu Suyu  was different though. Her eyes were all teary and it looked like she would break into a mess. She had practically begged Liu Xun to stay at home throughout the entire night, it ended with her sobbing herself to sleep by his side as he tucked her to bed. Liu Xun does treasure his little sister, but he would not lose his chance.

In the end, Liu Xun left the next morning with great fanfare. Every family had already known that he had been blessed with a system. There was already the fifteenth daughter that was offered by her father on a platter yesterday, and she was only nine that year!

What are they taking Liu Xun for, a ticket to success or a pervert!? Maybe both. After all, everyone knew he had ‘stolen’ a mantou. Who knows what he would be doing next? Perhaps, he would have had an even longer line of arranged marriage offers if that incident did not happen. No one would have known about his system though.

--

Now that Li Xun given the chance to cultivate, he would take the initiative. His hand immediately stretched towards one of the three pills on the table.

Knock. Knock.

Liu Xun stopped his movement, he slowly hid his pills under his bed. The knocking appeared to be of shorter intervals as the person on the other side appears to be losing his or her patience. Liu Xun then walked towards the door opened it.

In front of him were four young men and three young women, they were faintly familiar to Liu Xun. They were the other genius talents in the Liu Family and also his neighbors in this courtyard.

Liu Mushang.

Liu Ruanfeng.

Liu Langsheng.

Liu Ruoxue.

Liu Wanyi.

Liu Waner.

Liu Muyue.

 Liu Xun looked at these young men and women in order. The most famous among them would likely be Mushang, Ruanfeng and Muyue. Mushang was a proud member of the main family who has already reached the fifth stage of Qi Gathering. Ruanfeng and Muyue were only at the fourth stage.

However, Mushang was already 20 years old. Ruanfeng was 19 this year, while Muyue was the same age as him this year, 16! It was to be said one who reaches by foundation establishment 30 is likely to be a genius found in a thousand cultivators. Muyue is obviously with the head start, considering most ordinary people could only start cultivating when they are 14!

Rumours say that Muyue also bears a system, the details were kept secret deep in the Liu Family though. One trump card more is always better as they say.

The young beauty had long light brown hair that cascaded down her shoulders, the right side was also tied into a small bun and decorated with a white jade pin in the shape of a moon at the base. Her face was dainty with soft features. Pearly blue eyes, a small nose and pink cherry lips like a doll. She was dress in a light pink gown with ornamental flowers. She looked to be half a head shorter than Liu Xun. She was holding a small parasol in her left hand, giving her an overall impression of a fairy’s descent into the mortal world. That is at least what 99 in 100 men would say, the last one was probably still at a loss of words till this day.

biavd8O.png

Apparently, some rumours are not complete exaggerations.

 

Liu Xun may be cautious of his new surroundings now. However, it would be unbecoming of a true gentleman to not be able to appreciate true beauty.

“Hello Brother Xuan, I am Mushang! We, the neighbors, were just curious about our newest member. I have invited everyone to have a meal together. Would you be able to grant this man some of his face and your precious time?”

The speaker that a strong voice that showed no fear and was spoken with a righteous tone. Strong sharp features that were faintly similar Liu Xun’s, long black hair and dressed in the white robe. A black wooden scabbard with a sheathed bladed was tied loosely to his waist belt. A sword cultivator, no doubt. Liu Mushang seemed to be a rather modest young man despite his position as a member of the main family and the most likely next patriarch of the Liu Family. Liu Xun is fairly impressed.

“Yes, Brother Mushang! I would be rude to refuse such a generous invitation. I cannot waste everyone’s time with my tardiness. Let us go.”

“You sure were as slow as a tortoise. Useless.”

The voice came from one of the other two young men. Liu Ruanfeng was dressed in a blue robe with a snide look on his pale pox-marked face and jutting out teeth. Not to be rude, but Liu Xun’s first impression is of a sneaky rat. It is unfair to judge a book by its cover. However, Liu Xun could feel the hidden aversion and jealousy of Ruanfeng even from 20 miles. At least, the system announcement could show that he held deep envy against Liu Xun’s system.

Giving me a -1000 while others only give -10 or -100 huh, you must really be burning inside.

“Relax Brother Ruanfeng, let us give our new brother time to get used to us. After all, we are neighbors. Everyone is uncomfortable at first.”

A soft and tender voice chimed out, the young lady with dainty features spoke out. Muyue gave a slight smile towards Liu Xun upon noticing him looking at her, before looking away and resuming talk to the other young women.

Liu Ruanfeng was stumbled, he had not expected to be embarrassed by Fairy Muyue like this. The young man quietened down, and the group slowly made their way to a restaurant in White Blossom City.

 

Today I spun a 3, so MC shall pull an uncommon for this sign-in! For entertainment sake, most sign-spins will be on an RNG wheel. Oh looks like it would not be this chapter, but the next one it seems. Yikes, another description chapter, where is my gacha. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

And seriously the whole damn family are all Lius. Your father is a Liu, your mother is a Liu, your daughter is a Liu, even your dog is a Liu! Endless regrets.

And sketch.

CHCNxPe.png

21