64 – Devourer of Myths – Epilogue
111 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Millie's perspective-

The battlefield was now silent. It was still a sight of carnage as Shaggaroth's previous body was still lying about in pieces. There was the dried corpse of the main mouth, several desiccated remains of the blue metamorphosing beasts, the fallen black-robed youth. And yes, there was also me, the silver fox. The scene before my eyes was nothing short of a miracle.

I had always been hiding my identity whilst travelling with the group, thinking that it would be fun to travel with humans once again like with you Luoqi. It was only a casual whim, upon noticing that special black-robed youth holding upon that cosmetic powder which you once held. The way he stretched his hands out, the way he spoke, the way he interacted with me. It all felt so reminiscent of the times when we were together a long time ago. I initially thought to leave him alone but afterwards, I approached him and then talked with him under the moonlight. I initially had no intentions upon leaving our treasured land but for some reason, my mouth spoke and my feet moved.

Travelling beside that youth, I had been slowly reminded of the times where we both travelled the vast lands and seas. It saddened me quite a bit for some unknown reason when I came to know that I had to reveal my identity and that our journey would end prematurely. Yet whilst fighting against Shaggaroth, he once again appeared from the mists and joined up with me like how the both of us once did. By then, I realized that it was not I who was being the hidden one, but rather him instead. The power he drew upon his body felt so surreal. I could tell that he had previously advanced from the fourth to fifth stage of qi gathering, but my understanding of him was completely overturned by this entire fight where he fought on equal terms against the Northern Overlord. He even forced Shaggaroth himself to burn his core and explode.

Afterwards, when Shaggaroth showed his breakthrough form, I was already in despair since I knew that I could perhaps only flee with a slight chance of success with one of them and not both. I genuinely thought that it would be my end and final release, but I did not expect that he would be able to stand against them both even after I had received this mortal injury. To be able to take two pseudo-Nascent Soul beings...truly who on earth are you, Liu Xun?

Looking at the boy whose body was crumbled down onto the ground, he had numerous scrapes and light bruises, but they were mostly just minor injuries. If there was anyone who will be crowned the overall victor, it will definitely be him. Since some time has already passed since the fight concluded, I have finally recovered sufficiently to be able to move once again. It will be troublesome to continue lying about here in the exposed field since other predators could pass by.

Slowly getting back onto my feet, I could feel a sharp stinging pain in my chest. I guess that kick previously fractured a few of my ribs. Oh well, I could always still move around with such an injury to some extent. It is better to take Liu Xun to safety right now. I thought that to myself as I loaded the youth's body upon my back before jumping off into the distant wind.

===========

Travelling for several dozen li, I have noticed that the signatures of the group of cultivators that we initially travelled with have long disappeared. It seems that they have noticed the shockwaves of the fight and decided to retreat out of the Vermillion Ranges posthaste. It is an understandable decision since if we had lost, their lives would be threatened if they remained. No one would fault the group for abandoning their teammates especially against a suicide battle against an Inverse Core cultivator. No, it is no longer that but an almost Nascent Soul being. The idea of fighting Shaggaroth with our numbers was tantamount to suicide, but somehow we emerged victoriously. It is a pity that Senior Gan had to sacrifice himself.

Looking at the vast forest beneath my feet, there were two paths I could take for now. To return back to the Small Blue Valley Spring to recuperate, or to bring Liu Xun back towards the White Blossom County. It would be hard to explain his condition as well as my presence if I were to approach a foreign territory. The Inverse Core cultivators would definitely not let me off easily, plus Liu Xun himself has to recover after exhausting his qi and all of his strength.

Upon making a calm decision, I made my decision as I leapt up into the sky as I flew towards the West, further away from his home. Liu Xun would definitely be better off recovering over at my place, there is plenty of treasure herbs and spirit water which can also help to boost his cultivation. You would agree with this decision as well right? Luoqi. When I told him to escape, he actually felt conflicted about leaving me behind...it is alright for me to open my heart up? I wish that you could have given me an answer like you always did back then.

==============

-?????-

"Hmm, it looks like Senior Gan has finally passed away..."

A voice echoes out.

"At least he had finally managed to achieve his revenge and rest in peace. As for those two who have retreated back towards that hidden site, that Liu Xun is really interesting. His abilities, items, skills, perception are all mysteries to me...I have never been so entertained. Well, I am sure that we shall meet again soon."

"Sigh, to observe such a fight but not be able to draw my sword sure leaves me greatly dissatisfied. Oh well, at least this mission is now complete, now onto the next one...Liu Xun don't disappoint me~"

The rustling of leaves was heard as a gush of wind flashed by. There was nothing that remained but pure silence and darkness.

5