Chapter 15: Teachers
99 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I focus on keeping my breathing even as I swiftly move through the movements of The Roars Of The Ruinous Dragon.  My sword cuts through the air, it’s movements strong and forceful. 

I understand enough of the two arts to practice on my own, not needing my teachers from the Requiems to go through the movements with me. 

After some time with that technique, I switch into The Whispers Of The Silent Raven. I pay careful attention to the shifts in balance and stance that the two different sword styles have. Each strike of my sword now moves through the air quietly, it’s movements unpredictable and swift. My feet constantly move so that I am never easily reached by any opponent I might face. 

Eventually, I slow my movements down, reaching the end of what I’m comfortable practicing on my own. 

I sheathe my sword and look up at the gloomy sky, rain not looking too far away. 

I’ve taken to practicing in the field where the Master and the man filled with death spirit had died. I don’t know why I feel like I have to practice here. Part of me wants to face the experience that created so much fear in me I guess. 

I look at the portal which has been resealed, ethereal blue chains covering the door sized entryway.

Senior Sister Tai Qiu sits quietly next to the portal, watching me as I practice. She is one of the few guardians of the portal that don’t mind my presence here. Those who don’t know me watch with a less friendly eye.

“Have you made any progress in cultivating your own spirit?” Tai Qiu asks once it’s clear that I’m done with my practice. 

“I am on the brink of Spirit Recognition, Senior Sister.” I respond as I walk over to my waterskin. I close my eyes as I take a sip of fresh water, enjoying the moment. I open my eyes with a frown, frustration entering my voice. “But I can’t break through the barrier to that realm.” 

“I see.” Tai Qiu says calmly, “That is only natural. Cultivating your spirit is not like normal cultivation and your growth is already monstrous.”

“I feel… weak.” I walk over to the portal and sit in front of it. 

Tai Qiu stands up and walks over to me. She sits down in front of me and grabs my hand. She looks thoughtful and a little sad as she watches me. “It’s not an easy feeling to live with.” She says, her voice containing a little of that sadness. “Don’t let it force you to move too fast. You are still young, and too much power at too young an age causes more harm than good. You will destroy yourself if you move too fast.”

I look away from her warm gaze, not wanting to cry again. 

“Come on.” Tai Qiu says, standing up and pulling me up with her. “Someone has come to take over my guardianship of the portal and you need a break.” She smiles at me cheekily.

“Where are we going?” I ask, watching as another master descends from the sky to sit next to the portal. 

“To the hotsprings of course.” She responds casually. 

I blush. I’m still not used to other people seeing me naked. In fact, I’ve mostly avoided the hot springs out of embarrassment. I was always given privacy for when I changed or cleaned myself while in the Lin family and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone aside from my mother naked.

With Tai Qiu dragging me behind her, we quickly arrive at the portion of the sect reserved for women.  

The sounds of the other women having fun and chatting quickly reaches my ears as we arrive at a small pavilion. 

Tai Qiu immediately begins to undress and I start to do the same. My gaze wanders to her body, and I pause my own undressing when I see a series of scars running down her back.. 

She notices my staring, and doesn’t say anything as she gives me a soft smile.

The pain that they must have caused her is hard to imagine. Who would do such a thing to another person? I raise my hand to touch one of the scars.

“It’s polite to ask before touching.” Tai Qiu says as she finishes her undressing.

I pull my hand back quickly, embarrassed at how close I was to touching her.

“It’s ok.” Tai Qiu says, gently touching one of the scars on her side. “I’ve healed from the wounds they caused me.” I know that she isn’t speaking about the physical wounds.

“I’m sorry.” I say quietly. 

“Don’t apologize Junior Sister Lin. You have nothing to apologize for.”

I blush as I recognize how naked we both are and Tai Qiu smiles at my embarrassment.

“Come on. We both need to relax.”

 I follow Tai Qiu into one of several small pools carved out of the stone. Other women notice us entering but mostly ignore us in favor of chatting.

Tai Qiu sighs as she steps into the bath, her entire body loosening. 

I follow her into the bath, submerging into the water until just my nose is above the water. 

It doesn’t take long for the heat of the water to loosen my own muscles and cause me to relax.

Tai Qiu opens her eyes from her own enjoyment of the bath, her attention focusing on me. “I’ve noticed that you haven’t been playing your music as much lately.”

I don’t look at her as I answer. “I’m scared of what I will see when I play.”

Tai Qiu closes her eyes as she tilts her head up. “That’s too bad. I always loved listening to you play.”

Something about her words shake me. My mom always talked about how much she loved listening to me play. It was one of my happiest memories growing up. 

I still love to play. Nothing could take that away from me. I love it when people enjoy my music.

I sigh, closing my eyes to enjoy the bath. It’s time. I’ve been putting it off, but it’s time for me to play the fifth requiem. 

The sound of two familiar voices joining us has me open my eyes. “Sister Lin! I didn’t think you liked the hot springs.” Jing Xia says as Ming Lai and her wade through the water to us.

I try to sink even lower into the water out of embarrassment. My eyes flicker to both of the girls before looking at the water. 

Jing Xia giggles as she notices my reaction and Ming Lai turns away to hide her own smile.

“I had her come.” Tai Qiu says peacefully, startling both of the girls, neither of whom had recognized her presence. “She needed to relax.”

“Master Tai Qiu” Both girls nod their heads, greeting her respectfully. 

Tai Qiu waves at them, her eyes nearly closed from the pleasure of the hot springs. “No need to be so respectful. In here, I’m just another woman.”

The girls look to me for guidance, but I shrug, still unable to meet their eyes. 

Jing Xia slides right next to me while Ming Lai sits across from me. 

Everyone takes a moment to just settle in and enjoy the heat. 

I’m glad that I have so many friends. Life was lonely before I joined the sect. Other girls my age at the imperial palace were always scheming something, or pawns for those who were. Da Shi made it clear to me that I couldn’t trust them.

 “Weren’t you supposed to leave the sect with Elder Wu?” I ask, remembering Ming Lai mentioning something along those lines. 

Ming Lai sighs, “The Elder asked me to look over some things here while she was away.”

Jing Xia grins like a predator, “In other words, The Elder is punishing her for hitting the core disciple of another Elder.” 

Ming Lai coughs, looking away. “I may have overstepped slightly.”

“You should have seen the look on the pompous ass- the respectable older brother’s face when he got hit.” Jing Xia quickly corrects her wording, her gaze flickering towards Tai Qiu who is peacefully resting. 

“Why’d you hit him?” I ask.

Ming Lai’s gaze sharpens, filled with fury “He seemed to think that just because he was a core disciple to an elder, that he could get anything he wanted.”

“Oh.” I say, smiling at her to calm her down. “Good thing you hit him then.”

Ming Lai calms as she meets my eyes. “I might have gone a little too far.” She says after a moment.

“You hit him that hard?” Would Ming Lai actually hit someone enough to… yeah. She would, wouldn’t she.

Jing Xia snickers, “It’s less about how hard she hit him, and more about where she hit him.”

I look at her, confused about what she means.

She motions towards her groin. I look down, blushing and hurriedly looking away as I realize where I am looking.

“Oh.” I say again.

Jing Xia bursts out laughing at my expression, both Tai Qiu and Ming Lai joining in a moment later. 

*****

I arrive at my room feeling refreshed from the hot springs. Tai Qiu was right to bring me there, no matter how embarrassing it was. 

With a deep breath, I renew my resolve and walk to the window, pulling my flute out of its pocket in my robes. 

I close my eyes, just playing an easy melody to calm my mind.  The simple tune brings a sense of simple joy with it.

I open my eyes, and The Twelve Requiems of Illusion floats in front of me, it’s pages flipping open until it reaches the latest Requiem available to me.

The Fifth Requiem: Peaceful Death

The world shifts around me. 

The simple walls of my room become ornate and finely decorated.

Twelve men and women surround a bed where an elderly man rests.

The man’s chest rises and falls slowly with the notes of my song.

It rises and falls, rises and falls, until my music stops. 

The man dies.

No more music appears on the page of the requiem.

“So, you are my successor.” An elderly voice says to me.

I turn in surprise to see an ephemeral version of the old man that lay dying, watching me calmly.

I glance back at the page of the Requiem, hoping that more notes will appear on the page. 

They don’t.

Panic rises in me as I look back at the old man who still watches me calmly.

I lower the flute from my lips. “Who are you?” I ask, trying to not show my panic.

“I,” the man starts, a proud smile forming. “Am master of the seven halls, first of the Lanxing Word-smiths, disciple to the immortals, Master Musician to the Sects of Shanping, and the creator of The Twelve Requiems of Illusion. Who are you?”

I gulp, and bow deeply to the man, “This lowly one is Inner Disciple Jia Lin of the Flowing River Sect.”

“One of the minor sects of the Shanpo region I suppose?” The man asks, folding his arms with a grace and confidence that spoke of his power.

“I-I don’t know, Senior. I simply know that I reside in the empire of Chengshi.” I reply, still not raising my head in a show of subservience. 

The man frowns, then shrugs his shoulders. “I have never heard of it, but it is of no matter. Tell me, which of my disciples has deigned to teach you the arts and techniques of my craft?”

I don’t say anything, worrying that anything I might say could get me killed by this obviously powerful cultivator. 

“You aren’t a disciple of one of my disciples, are you?” The man says after a moment.

“No, Senior.” I respond, unable to see his expression with my head lowered.

“I see. Then you were chosen by the spirit of the book itself.” The man muses to himself.

I peek up at him to see him watching me carefully.

“I wonder why it chose someone from such a minor realm?” The man continues, walking around me to study me from all angles.

I do my best to stay steady as he moves out of my vision. 

“It doesn't matter. The spirit of the book has chosen you as my successor, it must see something that I do not. “ The man finishes his loop around me. “Very well. I, Teng Zhu, name you Jia Lin, as my successor. May you reach the realms of immortality with grace and elegance.”

7