Chapter 17: Illusions Reflecting Reality
132 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I play my flute softly, enjoying the feel of the wood beneath my fingers. My eyes are half closed as I focus only on the sensations of my music. Soft fanciful notes create illusions of dancing lights, twirling through the air. 

I decided to play outside today, and a surprising number of disciples gather around me, meditating, talking softly, or simply enjoying the music. 

The music continues as I simply explore, not playing any actual song or musical piece. No one other than me sees the lights dancing, but I’m sure they all feel the qi that naturally joins my music.

I noticed the change to my music ever since I hit the sixth level of qi awakening, qi naturally enters even my normal pieces without any input from me. It does give my music a… comforting feeling.

The sun peeks out from behind a cloud, bringing warmth with it. I fully open my eyes as my music comes to an end.

I get up from the rock I’d been resting on to walk back to my room. Many of the disciples nod or bow to me in thanks for the music and I do my best to hide the blush I feel rising to my face.

I don’t perform for groups that often, generally I play for myself or one or two people close to me. 

It’s a nice feeling, being appreciated. 

My room brings a familiar comfort to me as I close the door with a smile. 

Today is a good day, and I know that it is the right time to return to the Requiems. 

I sit at my usual spot next to the window of my room and inhale deeply. The Twelve Requiems of Illusion moves from it’s spot on my bed, opening in front of me.

Once I feel centered in myself, my qi flowing smoothly, I begin the fifth requiem. 

The Fifth Requiem: Peaceful Passing

The notes are slow and soft.

The same man lies in his bed, his last breath soon leaving him.

Soon the song reaches its end, and the man dies.

The spirit of the man again appears before me as I set my flute aside.

I bow to the man, showing my respect. “Greetings, Senior.” I say, waiting for his acknowledgement to stand upright.

“It is good to see that you have returned.” Teng Zhu says, his hands resting behind his back. His power is more muted now, not nearly as overbearing as when we first met. If I didn’t look closely at the undercurrents of qi within his body, I might think he is a mortal.

“Of course, Senior.” I say, rising from my bow.

The man is silent for a moment as he turns his attention to the twelve men and women that surround his dead body. “It is a strange experience, watching oneself die.” he says to me. “I am happy to see that my disciples truly did grieve me.” He motions to the twelve, who are all in various stages of grief.

“Who are your disciples?” I ask, walking closer to the grieving men and women.

“You know many of them well.” He says, smiling at a joke that only he understands.

I move closer and am shocked that he is right. The woman to the left of his bed is the same one I watched murder four innocent men, her eyes which were so emotionless now stream with tears. The man opposite her is the same one who died in the battlefield of blood, his hardened face now showing pain as he keeps his eyes closed. At the foot of the bed is the woman who grieved for her husband in the requiem of remembrance, her head buried in the shoulder of the man who sacrificed himself for his lover.

“I saw them die.” I say quietly.

“So you have.” The man surprises me as I look over my shoulder to see him right behind me. “They each in their own way contributed to the Requiems, even in their own deaths.” his voice fills with sorrow. “Please, don’t tell me which deaths you saw.”

I look at the body on the deathbed, so similar to the man behind me. “So you really died here.” 

“I did.” The man’s voice carries a finality with it that washes over me. 

I let the words hold the space as they deserve to do. When the moment has passed, I ask the question that weighs heaviest on me.

“What are the Requiems?”

“My insights into the most profound piece of existence.” The man lays his ghostly hand on the shoulder of one of his disciples farthest in their grief. “Death.” He moves his hand, patting them on the head before moving to the next disciple to do the same. “I find that music is truly the best teacher, and it has ways of showing things that mere words cannot.”

“I see.” I say, watching as he gently touches each of his disciples.

“No, you do not fully see.” He turns to me with a sad smile. “But that is alright. You are young, and still have much to learn.”

I frown, wanting to tell him that I do see. I’m not a child. But I keep my mouth shut, I don’t want him to get mad at me.

Teng Zhu chuckles at my expression “When you reach the Tenth Requiem, you will begin to see the truth of death. Whether you will understand such knowledge… that is up to you.” 

“I’ve seen death already. I understand what it is.” I say, staring into his eyes and daring him to deny my words.

“Perhaps. But even I, after having seen more of death than you can imagine, do not fully understand it.” A dark look covers his face.

I look away, not wanting to see the depth of the sorrow in his expression.

“I’m sorry.” I say quietly.

The man gently pats my head, and I look back up to see him smiling. “It’s alright. Do not let my sorrow affect you.”

Teng Zhu looks around us. “It seems that our time is coming to an end. It’s best not to stay in these illusions for too long.”

With a wave of his hand, the world shifts back to my room. 

I close my eyes, thinking on our conversation as I bring my flute back to my lips and continue to play simple songs.

***

 

Six months pass as I spend the coldest part of the year training with Tai Qiu. I see less of my sister disciples as Ming Lai gets busier with Elder Li Mei Wu and Jing Xia focuses on her tasks as an inner disciple.

I move through the forms of The Whispers of The Silent Raven, careful not to slip in the last of the winter snow. Tai Qiu sips on a medicinal tea as she watches me calmly. 

Her attention turns to the pathway leading to the main sect as I finish the forms and sheathe my sword. I follow her gaze to see a woman casually and gracefully walking on top of the snow. I hold in my surprise when I realize that the woman is completely blindfolded, the cloth that blocks her eyes holding a qi of its own.

Tai Qiu bows and I follow suit. “Elder Han, I am surprised to see you.” Tai Qiu says. 

Elder Han inclines her head, “The Patriarch has decided that it is time. She is gathering the power of the Sect. You are expected, Tai Qiu.” 

With those words, Elder Han turns around, returning back down the path. Her steps leave no footprints in the snow. 

Tai Qiu remains frozen for a moment, simply watching the Elder walk away. 

“What does the Elder mean?” I ask her, breaking her out of her trance.

“She could mean many things.” Tai Qiu responds vaguely. “But, the power of the Sect isn’t gathered together lightly, something big is happening.” Tai Qiu pauses, biting her lip as she puts her cup of tea into the strange storage of hers. “Follow me.”

Tai Qiu sets off down the path and I follow her. Eventually, she turns left on a path I’ve never been on.

We reach a large lake being fed by many rivers. All of the Masters I’ve seen in the sect and eleven Elders, their full number, are gathered in a clearing, separated into various factions. Tai Qiu is greeted fondly by many, while a few look at her with caution.

The sounds of chatter dies down as water gathers from the lake, taking the form of a woman I’ve only seen once before. She gracefully steps onto land, greeted by the complete silence of everyone gathered from the sect.

The Patriarch looks over the crowd, her gaze settling on me for only a moment before moving on. “It has been far too long since we have gathered here.” She says, her voice soft, but still carrying over the whole crowd of gathered cultivators. Calming qi travels with her voice, reminding me of a bubbling brook. “It is unfortunate that every such gathering comes before a time of turmoil.” The patriarch pauses, her gaze moving in the direction of the portal Master Tai Qiu and I had just left. “Many of you have seen the portal in our land and the damage it has caused. This portal is not the only of its kind, sect members from across the continent have reported similar portals, many leading to dangerous and unfamiliar realms. Something has disturbed the very space of our world and I don’t know what that means for our Sect.”

The Patriarch’s gaze focuses on Tai Qiu. “In these troubling times, I have decided that the position of the Twelfth Elder will be filled. Tai Qiu, please step forward.”

Tai Qiu walks through the snow with her back straight and her eyes on the Patriarch. When she arrives in front of the Patriarch she gets down on both knees, her head lowered “You have served well as Master of the Library, and I have noticed your recent breakthrough to the Nascent Soul realm.”

“You are too kind.” Tai Qiu says, her voice steady.

“Tai Qiu is the Twelfth Elder of the Flowing River Sect. She will serve us well.” The Patriarch’s words carry more qi than usual, the power within them flowing through the entire sect.

All Twelve Elders bow their heads towards the kneeling Tai Qiu. The Masters all bow deeply. 

I hurriedly do the same.  

Tai Qiu rises from where she kneels, first bowing to the patriarch, then to the gathered Masters and Elders. “The Sect is my home and my family. I will guide and protect the sect through all of its hardships.” Tai Qiu pauses, her voice catching. “Th-thank you for the honor.”

Everyone rises from their bows and many go up to congratulate Tai Qiu, crowding around her.

I stand awkwardly, not sure what I’m supposed to do in this situation.

“You are Core Disciple Jia Lin, are you not?” A familiar voice says from behind me, the qi from her words calming my initial shock. 

I turn around, bowing to the Patriarch. “Inner Disciple, Patriarch.”

“You were accepted by Tai Qiu as a direct disciple, were you not? Now that she has risen, so have you, Core Disciple Lin.” The patriarch smiles. “I have been hearing many things about your music from the Elders…” I blush at her words, “and the Masters…” My blush deepens “and from my own disciples. Perhaps I might be able to hear you play someday soon.” 

I bow my head to hide my face, likely as red as a tomato. “Of course! I’d love to play for you.”

“I look forward to it then.” The patriarch politely says before walking towards one of her Elders, a large man shaped like a bear that I don’t recognize. 

I raise my head, watching her leave as I calm my blush. 

“She does have quite the presence, doesn’t she.” Elder Zhu Chen says from beside me.

“Uncle Zhu!” I say, turning to him and hugging him. 

The Elder coughs before pushing me away. “It seems that you are as healthy as ever, Little Miss Lin.”

“I didn’t know that you got back.” I say, a wide smile on my face. 

“I just returned.” The Elder says, running his hand through his beard. “The Patriarch has been keeping me busy. 

“How is my father?” I ask. I know that he has been busy with the death of the emperor, and I can’t help but worry about him. “Is he healthy?”

“He’s as healthy as ever. He is exhausted, but that is to be expected in his position.” Elder Zhu says.

I get distracted as my eyes meet Tai Qiu’s and I smile at her. She returns the smile.

“Did he ask about me?” I ask, turning back to Elder Zhu.

“Of Course.”

5