Unfortunate encounter and Adventure Guild
47 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Huh?' When Flint opened his eyes again, he found himself lying in the forest with his briefcase next to him. He leaned against the nearby tree trunk and ran through his belongings. 'Apparently, I dodged hero and demon king shenanigans. That's a good thing for sure but man... The mana differences in the air make me uncomfortable... It's intoxicating.' 

sighs 'The connection between me and my lab is severed. I can't return by normal means.' After his body adjusted to the new environment, Flint climbed a tree to its canopy. He surveyed the land around and spotted a sign of civilisation in the southwest and a body of water in the east. He dropped down and started to walk towards the town.

A strange pace of footsteps aside from Flint's was heard. Something that hiding in the forest approached him and a low growls. A pair of amber menacing eyes stared right back at him. Therein lied a huge blue wolf that has 2 extra limbs with human-like hands while retaining its sharp claws which probably used for grabbing and tearing its prey. It watched him, studying his behaviours and appearance for potential threats.

"Shit."

'Access mana flow. Timer set to 10 minutes. Reestablish 'Recall' array. Generating 'Priority'.' With the chant invoked, mana flooded through his body. a clock started ticking inside Flint's head. His blood's pumping. The sensation of his body rejuvenating rushed to his head. In his sight, he saw a small light spot floating in the air akin to a firefly moving to the path he just came from.

"I hate to say this, but I hope you let me go" Flint threw his case aside and following the light in the forest. In a flash, the wolf-like creature loudly howled and began to chase him down. Flint dashed through the forest, keeping his body low as he passed under the roots and bushes while the wolf rampaged with its claws and strength trying to pin him down.

When several minutes later, Flint saw a vast inclined plane through a small opening between the trees with a light spot disappearing into the horizon. Flint drove himself under a particular large with dense roots exposes above the ground. He slithered through the roots until he was sure that the wolf could not reach him, but that wasn't enough. Even though it was ripping through the root, Flint stayed calm and remained in that spot where he could escape anytime.

'24 seconds... Construct array. Utilizing senses as extra catalyst. Deploy 'Barrier'. ' A thin layer of translucent bubble expanded separating Flint and the predator.

'Colour. Taste. Smell. I don't need them.' As the colour of his surroundings faded to grey and the smell of the forest disappeared, two extra layers of the barrier erected.

scrash A sound of glass shattering echoed in his ears when the wolf slammed the paws breaking the barriers. At eight minutes mark, An extra wave of mana surged through his veins. At that moment, Flint kicked. He kicked the ground bolting towards the vast plain and left a cloud of dust blinding the wolf's eyesight. 

The wolf spun its body dispersing the dust cloud, then spotted the prey running away at a greater speed than before after several seconds. It wasted no time and continued the pursuit. 

Flint started to catch up with the light that was guiding him but it suddenly stopped at the cliff. He moved himself to the edge of the cliff and looked down. The below his feet was a fairly deep river run to the south. The light soared down and disappeared before it reached the water. The wolf has caught up to him with its speed and cornered him.

"This tag ends here. Farewell." Flint leapt. Free falling towards to river underneath with a smirk on his face. Wolf stopped at the edge of the cliff, but in a mere second it decided to dart itself down chasing the falling man. 'too stubborn.' "Recall" Before the claws ripped through Flint's body, he disappeared in a white light leaving the wolf crashed into the water.

 


vrooooooom In spot where the chase started, a magic array shined and a person came out of it. He picked up the case on the ground and checked the time on his watch.

''I'm late by 11 seconds..." Flint tidied up his clothes and resumed his way to the town. After an hour of walking, Flint finally reached the town he saw earlier in the noon. He approached the gate and was stopped by the guard.

"Halt! Identify yourself and What is inside that leather box!"

"Flint Howling. 29 years old. Got transport to this world by a portal. There are clothes and writing tools inside it."

"A portal?. Does it bring anyone or any structures with you?"

"No, I am pretty sure that I'm the only person in the vicinity. Where am I?"

"You are currently in Aerelieth island, a part of Sky Archipelago. The name of this town is the 'Great City of Aerelieth'. The portal that dragged you here, we called that 'Worldshift'. it carried our town over here and started some problems. It sucks. We are in an unknown land, don't have enough supply lines and we still need to repair some of the buildings."

"I see. Is there any way I can earn some currency to feed myself?"

"Hmmm. Why don't you visit the adventure guild? Big building. Green roof. People going in and out every minute. I'll know it when I see it."

"Acknowledged. Do you happen to know the big canine creature with blue fur, 4 legs and 2 arms with sharp claws? I just ran away from it."

"Are you high, son? No dog in Sky Archipelago has an extra arm."

"No, I'm not. Thank you for the information. I will try reaching them first."

"No problem. For your information, you will be arrested if you cause some problem."

Flint gave a silent acknowledgment by nodding his head and walked through the gate. He strode down the pathway seeing a bunch of people minding their own stuff until he reached the middle area of the town."

'This is probably the place.' Flint walked inside the building that stood out from adjacent structures. He waited in the line of people who were queuing for the reception desk.

"Welcome to adventure guild. My name is Felicia. What can I help you today?" A lady with auburn wavy hair greeted him with a smile.

"I'd like to join the adventure guild."

"Alright. Follow me. I will hand you the form that needed to be filled." Flint followed Felicia to the counter near the reception table before she reached the shelves and handed him a paper. "Please fill this out and you'll get a tour after this."

"Thank you." Flint started filling out the form that was given. "Does every detail in the 'skill' section required?" He asked.

"No. Some people disclose about their abilities but it would be better if you could trust us with your information and we could gauge your skillset for suitable job easier."

"I see. It will take some time." Flint continued to fill up the form with descriptions of his skills, but not too detailed that someone could find the weakness from it. After finishing the form, he handed the paper back to Felicia. She went inside the door behind the reception table and came back with a butterfly.

"This is the Butterfly, a magical creature that will be assisting adventurers throughout their career. It can provide you information through 'library', 'newsletter', or 'quest board' and let you communicate with your peers in the 'chat room'. You can directly ask the Butterfly to show you the said functions. Do you have any questions?"

"Yes. About this quest. I bumped into a creature which the gatekeeper did not recognise. It might be invasive species but I do not have concrete proof with me. Would rough time, and place of encounter and rough sketch of the creature be sufficed for the report?"

So what news do you have for me?​
  • Sponsor: Adventurer's Guild
  • Location: Anywhere
  • Prerequisites: n/a
  • Discover something interesting
  • Obtain some form of proof
Information is a valuable commodity, and secrets are precious.
Did you hear something interesting? Eavesdrop on some gossip?
Tell me what news you bear, traveller, and perhaps we'll pay you if it's worthwhile.

"Hmm. That's would be acceptable but keep in mind that false information will give a record on your name and penalty."

"Don't worry. You will find the area trashed except if the forest in the northeast has high regeneration. Another question, could you recommend the place for lodging?"

"There is an inn near the wall called 'White sound' or if you need a better place, you could try some of the hotels."

"I see. I will write down the report and hand it to the guild ASAP."

"No problem. You can ask your Butterfly for help if the answer does not satisfy you, the guild will always be here for your support."

"Thank you for your assistance. Oh. Try to lift up your cheek when your smile, it would more natural."

It was not that noticeable but Flint was pretty sure that Felicia just frowned even by a little. "Ahem. I think that you are a bit fearless to casually comment about ladies, but thank you."

"I've been told and I know the stuff you have to go through every day talking to few troublesome customers. Have a good day, Miss Felicia." Flint walked away to one of the tables and started writing down the report about his journey earlier today before disappearing from the guildhall.

6