7. The Girl And The System
75 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, can I borrow a pencil?" Audriana looked up from her worksheet and towards her classmate sitting next to her. "Sure, but I don't have regular pencils just mechanical pencils would that be alright?" She opened up her pencil case and pulled out a couple of mechanical pencils. "I don't mind, I'll take that yellow one. Thank you!" The classmate grabbed their selected one from her hands and went back to their business. Audriana smiled at her seatmate as she zipped up her pencil case and placed it back in its spot on her desk. The worksheet that they were assigned to finish was something about math, she couldn't care to remember any of the other details about the worksheet. She had finished most of the questions on the sheet and only had one left to do.

 

 

"Hey, can I borrow a pencil?" Huh.. ? Audriana shifted around in her seat to face the classmate. "Didn't I already give you one though?" They had a questioning look on their face. "Are you confused or something Audriana? Because you never gave me one." How strange, she was sure she had given this person one before. Audriana decided to perform a test, she did exactly what she did previously, opening up her pencil case and holding out those couple of mechanical pencils. "I'll take the yellow one, thank you!" The classmate happily took their newly obtained pencil. They began writing on their worksheet, scribbling, and erasing answers. 

 

 

Audriana's brow wrinkled, while she was sure she had already given them a pencil before and even did an experiment, she couldn't exactly prove this. Perhaps she was just seeing things or that she was getting the feeling of déjà vu. Audriana tried to clear her mind. Worrying about such a thing wasn't going to do her any good, so it was time to focus on the present. But she froze, peering at her worksheet. The questions that she had already answered had completely been erased! It was as if she had never written them in the first place. Just what in the world was going on? This and the pencil situation had to be connected in some way, two things like this happening in the same place and same time couldn't be pure coincidence.

 

 

Brrring, Brrring! The familiar sound of the school bell rang out signaling the end of the class. Students began packing up their bags, getting up from their seats, and chatting amongst friends. A tap on the shoulder surprised Audriana and she turned around. "Did I startle you? I'm sorry I just wanted to return this." The classmate held up their borrowed yellow pencil and she thanked them as she took it. Audriana twisted and turn the pencil around in her hand, inspecting it from top to bottom. Nothing came from her scrutinizing but she knew if there wasn't something wrong with this pencil, then it had to be something else. Audriana placed the item back into its case and quickly packed up her stuff. With her bag secured on her shoulder, she began leaving the classroom.

 

 

"Ms. Takao, please stay behind for a moment." Her teacher's voice called out. Audriana stepped back into the classroom and closed the door behind her. "Is something the matter Mr. Bishop?" Bishop chuckled lightly, stuffing some papers before pulling out one. "The worksheet that you handed in had a few questions missing, you've always had no trouble completing assigned work so why not this one? Normally if it was someone else I would have let it rest and have them fill in the questions tomorrow but you are one of my top students. Are you okay Audriana?" Ah, she seemed to forget about this. Though she had never had to work hard for anything her mother always encouraged her to try her best in school and Audriana was never the best in some subjects but she still maintained good grades in them. Though one time she did pay someone to do her homework for her and got caught, that was another story.

 

 

"I'm alright Mr. Bishop. I just had a small headache nothing to worry about though." She gave her excuse and Bishop nodded his head sympathetically. "I have a quick question if you don't mind answering. If you know something is strange about a particular person or thing because of a feeling what should you do?" Bishop made a 'hm' sound as he thought about his student's question. "I say you trust that feeling, your instincts will never lead you astray if you don't doubt them." 

 

 

"Thank you, Mr. Bishop. I'll redo the worksheet tomorrow. I will be going now, have a good day!" With a wave off from Bishop, Audriana left the classroom will a head full of thoughts. 

 

 

 

✦—————♛—————✦—————♛—————✦

 

 

Audriana sat under one of the large maple trees in the school's courtyard. School had already let out for the day, the only few remaining people on campus were staff and some leftover students who either got in trouble, were missing items, or were just lingering. Audriana was one of the lingering students, she was waiting for a friend who had to get something out of their locker. "Hey, Ari! I hope I didn't have you waiting too long." Here came mentioned friend right now. Her ponytail bobbed up and down as she ran, fallen maple tree leaves crunching under her shoes. "No, you didn't take too long Miranda. You actually came quicker than excepted. I made myself comfortable here you know." Miranda's foot gave Audriana a little kick in retaliation to her words.

 

 

Miranda plopped on the grass beside her friend, getting into a laying down position with her arms behind her head. "Hey, Ari do you have anything in mind for what you want to do after graduation?" To which Audriana shook her head. She spent four years of her life here in this little private school located up in Northern Oregon. She couldn't imagine waking up and not seeing these sights anymore. "No... not really. Maybe I'll work in my dad's company after graduation. He recently set up some offices overseas." Miranda sat up and gazed at the sky. The normal blue sky presented itself, white fluffy clouds floated overhead. "Do you think we'll remain, close friends, after we go our separate paths?" This question was spoken very quietly as if the speaker was afraid to break something.

 

 

"Honestly? I don't know. The world is constantly changing, nothing stays the same. People change, people, move on, people do all sorts of things. So I don't know." The silence from Miranda's side made Audriana nervous. Had she screwed up again and made someone sad? "Hey, I'm sorry I- Miranda?" Miranda who was once been by her side was completely gone, it was as if no one had been there. What... how- her head began to become a complete mess. How could someone just vanish like that?! A whole living being just gone in an instant!

 

 

[ ɪ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴀᴘᴏʟᴏɢɪᴢᴇ, ʜᴏsᴛ. ]

 

 

This sudden voice made her spun up from the ground. Audriana looked in every direction she could, this entire courtyard was empty except for her. So the only explanation was...  [ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴅᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ᴘᴀɴɪᴄ, ʜᴏsᴛ. ɪ sʜᴀʟʟ ᴇxᴘʟᴀɪɴ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ. ] Audriana didn't know what to do at this moment, this voice or thing was quite literally in her head so she couldn't get help from anybody even if she wanted to. "Then, please go ahead. Tell me what the hell is going on." [ ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪsʜ. ɪ sʜᴀʟʟ sᴛᴀʀᴛ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ. ] The voice began using complex and advanced vocabulary. "Wait wait! Slow down a little and speak proper English! I can't understand a thing." The voice coughed awkwardly and Audriana seemed to detect a hint of embarrassment in its tone?

 

 

[ ɪ ᴀᴍ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ #𝟺𝟻𝟽, ʜᴏsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ sᴘᴀᴄᴇ. ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴅᴏ ᴇxᴄᴜsᴇ ᴍʏ ᴜɴᴘʀᴏғᴇssɪᴏɴᴀʟ ʙᴇʜᴀᴠɪᴏʀ ᴀs ɪ ᴀᴍ sᴛɪʟʟ ǫᴜɪᴛᴇ ᴀ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ! ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴄʜᴏsᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀs ᴍʏ ʜᴏsᴛ. ] A glowing ball began materializing in the center of the courtyard and it floated over to Audriana. "Why me though? Out of all the people on planet Earth, why me? And do I even get a say in this?" The white ball who Audriana assumed was the voice went silent for a few seconds. [ ʜᴏsᴛ.. ᴀᴜᴅʀɪᴀɴᴀ ɪ ᴀᴍ sᴏ sᴏʀʀʏ. ɪ ғᴏʀɢᴏᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ.... ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇɴ'ᴛ ᴏɴ ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ. ɪ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴅᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜɪs ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀᴛ. ᴀɢᴀɪɴ ɪ ᴀᴘᴏʟᴏɢɪᴢᴇ. ] Her surroundings began to distort, walls that once a different color had morphed into the color white, and the grass on the ground had begun to retreat, soon turning into something else. Memories began to hit her like a wall. The system was right she wasn't on Earth anymore. Audriana finally remembered everything, from falling into Sky Archipelago to collapsing into Kris's arms. She remembered it all. 

 

 

[ ʜᴏsᴛ.. ? ] The white ball floated around Audriana timidly. When she lifted her head the ball backed off immediately. "How dare you! Manipulating my memories and forcibly binding yourself me with?! How could you! I feel violated beyond measure." Angry threatened to fill her entire being and her head grew hot. [ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ɴᴏ ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇ, ʜᴏsᴛ! ɪғ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴʏ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴡᴀʏ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴏɴᴅᴇᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜ ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sʜɪғᴛ ɪɴ ᴅɪᴍᴇɴsɪᴏɴs ᴄᴀᴜsᴇᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴇʀʀᴏʀ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴄᴏᴅᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅᴇᴅ ᴅᴇsᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴇʟʏ ᴛᴏ ʙɪɴᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀ sᴜɪᴛᴀʙʟᴇ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ғɪx ɪᴛ! ᴀᴅᴅɪᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟʟʏ ᴍᴇ ғᴏʀᴄɪʙʟʏ ʙɪɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅ ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜɪɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛᴏ ғɪx ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀs ᴡᴇʟʟ sᴏ ʀᴇᴍᴏᴠɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs ᴏғ sᴋʏ ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴘᴇʟᴀɢᴏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʟᴀᴄɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴠɪʀᴏɴᴍᴇɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴏʟᴅ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴀᴛᴛᴀᴄʜᴍᴇɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴀs ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴅᴏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ. ɪ'ᴍ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀsᴋɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ʜᴏsᴛ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀsᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʏᴘᴇ ᴏғ ᴘᴏsɪᴛɪᴏɴ ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴘᴜᴛ ɪɴᴛᴏ. ]  Audriana wasn't an unreasonable person and wasn't the type to argue if it wasn't necessary so she put the topic to rest.

 

 

Everything around Audriana had become a white space. She could no longer feel the breeze blowing past her or the rough tree brank against her skin. [ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʟᴍᴇᴅ... ᴅᴏᴡɴ, ʜᴏsᴛ.. ? ] The glowing ball received a glare in return. "I don't know- How should I feel? I still feel pretty angry about this whole situation but I can't get mad at you. It's not your fault that this happened." The ball perked up at this and spun already gleefully. [ sᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɴᴏᴛ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ, ʏᴀʏ!!] It was so happy that Audriana couldn't help but crack a smile. "Where is this?" Her hand gestured to the whiteness around them. [ ᴛʜɪs ɪs ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍsᴘᴀᴄᴇ ʜᴏsᴛ! ɪᴛ's ᴀ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴏғ ʀᴇʟᴀxᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ᴀɴ ᴇsᴄᴀᴘᴇ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡɪʟʟ. ] Dreamspace... at least that goes along with why her system placed her here. The ball stopped in its movements. Bobbing up and down, it seemed to be thinking.

 

 

[ ɪᴛ's ᴛɪᴍᴇ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴀᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ʜᴏsᴛ. ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴀsʟᴇᴇᴘ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ʟᴏɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ɴᴏᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ'ᴠᴇ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ғɪx ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴏ ᴀɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴇxᴛʀᴇᴍᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴀᴡʜɪʟᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙᴏᴅʏ ɴᴇᴇᴅs ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsᴛ. ᴀʟsᴏ ᴡʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀᴋᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ'ʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴀ sᴜʀᴘʀɪsᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ! ] Audriana's eyes narrowed at the glowing ball. She didn't know if she wanted to see its surprise. [ ɪ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇ ɪᴛ ɪsɴ'ᴛ ʙᴀᴅ! ɪᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ᴀʟsᴏ sᴇʀᴠᴇ ᴀs ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴇɴsᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ғᴏʀ.. ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ. sᴏʀʀʏ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ. ] She nodded slightly and reached up to pat the system. It was surprisedly warm. "Thank you. And goodbye for now." The system had mentioned that it didn't have enough energy to manifest in the real world yet and that they could only interact in her Dreamspace.

 

 

"Goodbye host, till the next time we meet." That was all she heard before she was thrust from the space. 

 

 

 

✦—————♛—————✦—————♛—————✦

 

 

Audriana's eyes groggily opened and the first thing she noticed was her bed canopy. She blinked a few times waiting for her vision to gradually clear up. Her body felt weak, and overall she just felt terrible. With as much strength as she could gather, she forced herself to sit up. The loud noise of something hitting the floor grabbed her attention. Beatrice who had dropped her cleaning duster stood there with a shocked face. "Young miss! Oh, praise the gods you're awake. Stay right there I'll be back as soon as possible." The maid bolted out of the bedroom leaving behind a rattled Audriana. "That was something.." Her throat was raspy and itched for some kind of liquid. Audriana pulled off her bed covers and slipped out of bed.  On her first steps she stumbled, she was like a baby calf learning how to walk. Flap flap, the sound of fluttering wings came from across the room.

 

 

Audriana instantly knew who they belonged to and opened up her hands in a cupping motion. Arden landed in her hands smoothly. "I hope I haven't worried you and everyone else too greatly." Though she doesn't know exactly how long she was unconscious, based on the information given to her by the floating ball she was likely out for a long time. Audriana placed Arden on her head. "Don't freak out or anything Arden but I'm gonna try something." The butterfly fluttered his wings once, he trusted her. Ever since Audriana met the system she's been wondering, could she have a status screen like those from the novels she read? Having one would be pretty cool. "Status?" She looked around but nothing happened. "Did it not wor- "

 

  Host Name : Audriana Saurridge (Takao)

 

Titles: Girl From Another World, Young Miss Of The Saurridge House, Adventurer

 

Race: Human

 

Age: 18

 

Class: Aristocrat (Changeable)

 

Alignment:  Astalart Faction (Changeable)

 

Skills: Persuasion (CHA)

 

STR: ??

 

DEX: ??

 

CON: ??

 

INT: ??

 

CHA: ??   』

 

 

A large blueish text screen transparent appeared before her eyes and it showed everything about her. Audriana was confused about the stats, why were there question marks next to them? And looking at her Skills she could guess the surprise was the [Persuasion] skill. The door to her bedroom opened loudly and entered a disheveled Kris. The status screen disappeared as soon as Kris walked through it. Audriana had the breath knocked out of her as she was hugged tightly by them. "Audriana... I- we thought you- I was terrified." Their words were jumbled as they spoke. Clearly, their emotions were out of control. Audriana gently stroked their back, trying to soothe them. "You know if father saw you like this he would hang you right?" Her words made Kris laugh loudly.

 

 

 Kris smiled at Audriana, a bit self conscious at their current state. "Now, my dear sister. Please get ready and take care of yourself. You have a lot to catch up on." With a final tight squeeze, they released Audriana and strode towards the door. Kris gave her one last glance before shutting the door and leaving.

 

 

But once again the door reopened and came in was Beatrice. The maid held a platter of food. "The Marquis and Marchioness wanted to give you space since you just woke up. In the afternoon a doctor will be sent over to examine your health." Beatrice placed the platter down and marched towards Audriana's closet. "It's time to get dressed, young miss."

 

 

It was time to get back to her somewhat normal life.

 

It is 6:05 in the morning at the time of finishing this chapter. If you spot any grammar errors as always please point them out for me.I honestly have no clue what I'm doing with Audriana's system at all. Literally, so stuff will possibly be changed in the future.

6