Chapter 339: The Students Who Saved the World 2
198 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The culture of the port town was mixed from different eras.
Nolan relaxed on a balcony on top of a seaside cafe. The cafe had the smell of java and tea and biscuits. Ashia sat across him with her cup on the table.

“I’m glad that you have been calmer.”

“Yes, calmer,” he muttered. “I just thought that it’s a part of my long life now. How many can say that they have lived this long? You know what? I am sad that I couldn’t see it all back then. The worlds that we have failed to explore. I was dragged to places and forced myself to find something that would make me feel that I am alive.”

She leaned on the armchair. Her eyes focused on the sea. Chin raised a tiny bit, emphasizing her beautifully shaped face. Her long ears poke out of her hair.

“Do you know where I came from?” he asked.

“Some parts, yes, I know where you came from. That peaceful place seems lovely. Do you remember it?”

“Not that clear any longer. My memories are a jumbled mess. The alternation between young and old has been terrible. Do you remember their faces?”

“I don’t. Not anymore. The void has been a terrible place and the years had made me forget. Even if I want to remember they are just blurred images. My memories as Tania is vague as well. Like I told you, we’ve been fused to survive, and our memories are a broken mess. Honestly, if you didn’t look the same? I would have been unable to find you. It must be so short for you how we meet. Just think of it at my point of view. It took many years for me to meet you again. I met many people, and if truth to be told, I was on the brink of letting go as well.”

“You should have done that,” Nolan said. “You know what happens to us always. We never really do stay together.”

“Don’t say that.”

“I am just telling the eventual happening.”

“Shut it,” she reached for his collar and pulled him forward. “I don’t want to hear that talk.”

Nolan’s stayed his gaze on her.

“Please?”

He nodded, folding his arms. “I’m sorry. We’ve not talked for years, and I have nothing to say to you. I just don’t know what I should do.”

“That’s okay,” she said. “Our times are far apart and even I am unable to fully come to terms with this. You’re not the only one with fears of separation.”

Nolan stirred his coffee. “How was it? Saving the world.”

“It felt great. I felt vindicated. Then it came to me that the world I saved was not the world that my heart wanted to save, but it was a start. Alf’s have long lifespans and this body, as long as my soul is well won’t ever witter, much better than the body that we have. I have a long time to think about and in those times I saw people passed away as well. New friends dying and I was alone. Again, and again, I have to walk the road. My students, they have been trying to save the world ever since they were young. I am proud of them.”

“It must have been great.”

“I’m sorry about Einar.”

“No,” Nolan shook his head. “I am proud of how he passed. A man should never go gentle into that good night. It is better to die that way than the way I died.”

“How many times have you died?”

“I couldn’t count. I think you know that as well.”

“Yes,” Ashia smiled wearily. “I can understand.”

“You have a family here,” Nolan said.

“I have, but it doesn’t mean that you have to be jealous about it. We might be able to start anew here. This is a world far from the baubles, an isolated world protected by our dearest friend.”

“Dearest friend?”

“Audrey, the Witch of Nether, she is the dragon that lives on the island.”

Nolan’s eyes widened. His eyes trembled. “Master is here?”

“Yes, I thought you already knew?”

“I, didn’t know that, huh,” Nolan’s lower jaw trembled.

“By the way,” Ashia said. “I hear that you two were close back then.”

Nolan held his head. “Yes, we were.”

“Not going to hide it?”

“Why should I? She helped me survive the tide of battle after all. She has been our medium ever since you passed. I had to be her shield while we were at our last steps to the overlord. Hah, even if we knew how things were, it was too late. Even the burnt woman took million years. I doubt we had the chance.”

“I see.”

“You’re not jealous are you?” Nolan grinned slightly. “Do you really need to ask why a guy who had been troubling for years would suddenly give up on you? How many times did you give me a beat down? How many times you slap me around, and told me to leave you alone? You were right I was being creepy. But a Salvatore never gives on his love. If there is anything that I can tell you then I regret none of it. Hah, why did I fall like a fool so hard for you?”

“You found hope in me,” Ashia said. “I think that you mistook admiration for love for quite the years. If anything I should blame you for not pushing me down when you have the chance.”

“Yes, push down the war maiden who can break me in half. You’d punch a hole in my chest before I can try.”

“You didn’t try, how would you know?”

She stared deeply, head tilted, and a teasing smile he had not seen for years. He couldn’t help but smile back, dragging his chair near where she was and started.

“You know, we never really had a long talk with how things are.”

“Agreed, usually it’s just battle, dinner, and bed for the two us back then.”

“The balls in the Salty Passing were rather nice.”

“Until those ladies come after you.”

“Oh, so that’s why they were always running away.”

And so the two just talked.

7