Chapter 350: Book 5 Prelude – To Refuse Action.
230 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One day, he dreamt of a beach with white sands and cool winds. The sun kissing his face, and the warmth of it gracing him. With dust and dirt on his eyes, he dreamt as blood and gore were scattered on the ground, strewn into strips of flesh mixed with the bile of liquid of those whose stomach was pierced. The sunlight was a rare resource back in those times.

The vision was changed like a new screen placed in front of him. Nolan found himself standing on the beach of Concordia with his feet buried in the sand. His hair would drift along with the air, and the scenery of gigantic monsters rising to the surface of the water was a grand sight.

“Kids, don’t swim with the leviathans around!” Ashia called to them. She followed the kids who were her students. They had to return to the island to fulfill the promise, and that promise was to watch the car-size turtles rest on the beaches of Concordia.

It has been a week since they roamed the town. When Ashia returned to the island she fulfilled her promise of taking the kids to the beach where they would run around doing foolish things. Nolan stayed guard while watching the kids interact with the turtles.

He said. “Is everything fine?”

“Yes,” she replied. “Fine as they could be. The Empire however is-“

“Ashia,” he said softly.

“Sorry,” she scratched her cheek. “No more talk about saving. Be selfish for once.”

“When we can we will help. Not obsess ourselves on things such as that. I would have to stop you. You promised me that.”

She showed a smile. The light of the sun behind her. “I know! I just like this to last! We know what we are, Husband.”

“Yes,” Nolan gave her a nod.

A bright light in the dark attracts moth to the flames. Gentle or not the moths fly to the fire wondering what that fire is. Power attracts power and trouble. Nolan had acknowledged that it was never under their control.

“But my steel is worn,” he thought to himself. “I am worn steel that has been fighting for so long. Sigh, or is it because I’ve become old that I am starting to complain?”

“I finally found what I was looking for.”

“Huh?” she looked at Nolan. “What are you saying?”

“Nothing. I feel some semblance of peace.”

“That is good to hear.”

Nolan squinted a reflection from the water. He wanted to embrace this peace, but he had lived long enough to know that things never last. Someday this peace will be broken, and there will be days where hardship remains. Not expecting it would be the same as thinking that rain does not exist. His habits do not easily stop. Nolan knew all of this but he chooses to look at the present before him. To worry about the future was tiresome. He wanted to know what it was like to feel at peace.

“I wanted peace of mind,” he said softly.

Ashia stared deeply into his eyes. “I see. I hope we find that peace of mind here.”

“I think you already do,” he said to her. “From what I know of you. You wouldn’t be chasing kids around with worry on your face.”

Ashia smiled shyly. “Well, I, come on, you are trying to make me feel bad again!” she complained. “Besides, who knows? If we keep going at this rate we’ll have our kid to look after.”

“I wonder about that. I’m not as exactly human now.”

“Your body is human,” she said, closing in, almost a whisper. “We should be fine. Still, our prowess means that if we do have a child. It will take time because of how strong our bodies are. I’ve seen cases where mighty users of powers gave birth to strong children. And you saw what happened with the burnt woman…”

Nolan pursed his lips. Ashia looked at him with silence for a second. “I don’t particularly care if you slept with another version of me. You are sleeping with a woman with three souls residing in one body that has been joined together. Don’t worry.” She then stared with that warrior-like glare. “Still, I expect that faithful husband won’t stray from now on. Got it?”

Nolan raised both hands in surrender. “Got it, besides, how can you even say that after the years that I have stayed loyal?”

“I know,” said Ashia, pulling her braid. “I saw women eyeing you when we were roaming around Agni. The women in that town, the way they smell strongmen around baffles me. They are like hounds!”

“Is that a thing here?”

“Masculinity attracts,” she shrugged. “We might have reached an era that resembles peace, but women here still look for a dependable man. Habits die hard.”

“Is that so?”

Ashia nodded. She ran to one of the kids who were trying to poke their heads inside the turtle’s mouth. Nolan rushed to one of the kids who were trying to climb when he saw someone running towards them. Nolan carried the kid down and waited behind as Ashia turned her attention to the person running towards. Ashia took the rolled paper from the messenger, and read. Her eyebrows met, and she massaged her temple.

Nolan approached from behind. “What does it say?”

“Murder in the Empire,” she explained. “Someone has been able to murder someone without the spell activating. Well, I guess it was going to happen sooner or later.”

Nolan stared. “Not going to try and chase after this?”

“Should I?” she stared. “To be frank, the self-righteous heart of mine is telling me to go, but the demoness inside seems to be pulling my ears as I try to do so. Goodness, I am confused.”

“Is that so?” he said.

“I will not act upon it. It is not my duty any longer. I think I earn this rest.”

Nolan didn’t say anything. He looked at the kids running around with no care for the world. This world was a peaceful one, and if this was going to be his home. He’d protect it if there is a need.

6