Chapter 54: Two’s Solace
2.8k 2 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He explained himself like a dutiful husband. He didn't know why but the look on her face made him talk. He could no lie when she held his hand like that. It was getting cold but he never stopped explaining until the icy coldness in her face disappeared along with the meek sun that was behind her, replaced by the full moon.

"I see. But I have to ask you this," she said. "Why do you fear to be with me?"

He could not tell her the truth, "I cannot tell you that."

"Is that so?" she said blandly. "Is there a reason for it?"

"Yes." He nodded. "There's a good reason for it."

"I won't force you."

She stared at the distant horizon where the sky looked like it was droppings of milk. It filled her vision that unconsciously the hand that was holding on to Nolan crawled to his hand.

"You know," she said, "I thought you were dead."

"Why?"

"There was someone that looked like you. He bore the same expression and the same of everything. He even had your name. Was that your twin or am I really talking to a Ghost?"

He briefly stared at his own hand. "I do not know. Where's that body now?"

"Who knows?" she shook her head. "When I thought you were dead I think my heart went cold."

"I am sorry."

"No need." She smiled gently. "I can tell that your heart beats. The flow of your blood...seems strange, however."

"You can tell that?"

"I am the Strongest War Maiden to live thanks to you carrying me to the Fortress of the Three Fates." Her eyes grew misty in recollection. "I never thought that I'd be the legendary maiden favored by the War God. They say that fate can be unpredictable and I find myself believing that."

"I see," he exclaimed. "I am sorry that I have to leave you."

"Along with the curse," she said, her eyes piercing through his soul. "I have imagined that there was something wrong when monsters were not able to sense me. You stole the curse from me and took it for yourself. Nolan, don't forget that the previous incarnations have given me all their knowledge and what you did was something they have witnessed. Do you really find me that weak?"

"No, not all," he looked at. "What would you for the person that you care for the most?"

"Is that how it is?" a smile came upon her again. "I'd call you a fool but I think I'll try not to. You know that I am not much of a people person and even though I am 'beautiful' or whatever they call me now. I think you really were the one who did not feel stunned upon seeing me. You really make me feel down."

"Is that so?"

"Yes it is," she said. "They call me a beauty that could cause the downfall of kingdoms yet here you are not even bothering to check me out like the fools in the court would. But I guess you really wouldn't care for that do you? When I could not walk you treated me like a baby. You fed me. You bathe me and carried me through many dangers. Really, you should take responsibility for that."

"Well...many would want to do that?"

"Take a hint."

Her smirked reached up to her ears.

"I do. Well, I want to if fate permits it."

"Fate?" she sneered. "Fate be damn I'd still want you."

"That's aggressive."

"You seem to forget that I am a human being with wanting too. Or did you think that women are not humans?"

"No."

"And to be fair it was your fault for being heroic and so dependable. It's your fault for approaching a lonely burned face woman who you'd court out of nowhere because of a reason that woman didn't even know. Do you know what I thought when you said those words? I thought you were a stupid person, but now I think I am grateful that you have bad eyes."

He utterly confused on what she was trying to say. She saw the look on him and said, "You know I just had a broken heart before I saw you shamelessly drinking all by yourself. Isn't talking nice?"

"It sure is." He had to agree. "I am surprised that you are this nonchalant despite what I did."

"What you did?" she raised a brow. "You mean lifting a huge burden off me and making a storm of emotions within my heart?"

"I have no words to spare."

"Listen, to me, Nolan," she said. "Maybe all this confidence came from them. I know that I am blessed with this power and I feel that this world is like a paper mache to me. I could use the power given by the War God to crush enemies and command them. I feel like I am not myself when I take on the role that was given to me. Yet here I am just holding on to you, afraid that you might go away again. Will you go away again?"

She stared at him pleadingly. Nolan moved his head back and thought of an answer. His head lost to what he could reply to a woman powerful enough to unable him to escape.

"I might," he said after thinking. "I am just a lowly bleak walker that wanders aimlessly until I am unable to do so."

She frowned heavily. "Why do you call yourself a 'lowly' bleak walker when to me you are a Hero? Or have you forgotten what you did for me? You may not think of it much but I do think of it. So hearing you say that you are nothing but a lowly bleak walker makes me think that you are being harsh to yourself. Or is that how you are? Damn it, you look and appeared to me as a Hero and yet seeing you act like this makes me feel so disgusted!"

She stood up. She pointed her finger at Nolan who was widening his eyes in surprise at her words. Behind her were the vast cosmos and the way her energy was acting up made him freeze, unable to move anything other than his eyes.

"I did not fall in love with a man who had no backbone! You are a resolute man who never showed fear or talk about the burden that you endured. That's why I ask you stop being as pathetic as to worry about fate! You are someone who would carry a woman without caring for the dangers! You are a fanatical person that I trust most in this world!"

She pointed her finger at his forehead while the golden glow of energy coated her, a golden stream of energy evaporated out of her as if she was the sun. That alone was enough to blind anyone yet he stared not minding the pain he was feeling. He felt his heart tugged harder than it should be. His heart loudly beat as he stares at the woman who he admired the most in his past. That woman was now telling him what he should be.

A smile bloomed upon his face. He kneeled on one knee and held her hand. She gazed at him as if she could not understand what he was trying to do. She just let him hold her hand without any resistance.

"I truly admire you, Ciara. I really do. I may not be much but would you permit me to become your shadow?"

"What do you mean?"

"I work in the shadows, Ciara. You are the brightest sun. The Heroes revolved around you because you are their core. They will rely on you not knowing that you'll have no one to rely on. That's why I asked of you to permit me to watch over you. I'll be your swift sword. I'll be your shield and I'll be your dutiful giver of death if I could be."

"Why not walk with me in the light?" she asked.

"No, I've lived long enough in the dark," he said, black grim came out of his pores and the runic tattoos he engraved upon his body glowed bright red. He looked like a demon.

"What's happening?"

"I am powerless that I have to do this. This power is all I can muster. I could never reach the heights of power. But even so, I think that even Heroes need a watchful guardian watching their backs. So allow me to be selfish and watch you through the shadows."

She stared silently like a Queen gazing at her knight.

"So despite all of this you still choose to leave my side instead of fighting alongside me?"

"Yes."

He knew that he would be a dead weight. He already experienced fighting alongside her and he knew that he could become her weakness. He didn't want to be a burden and walk a path that would allow him to fight for her. He had many thoughts on what he was doing yet his heavy heart told him to compromise and become her guardian.

"I see. No matter what I do you'll always disappear before me. I can hold you in my hands and never let you go but you still choose this? You could work with me."

He shook his head again. "I know that you'd be willing to save the world. That's why you are chosen."

"I see." Her face crumpled. "You are a cruel man. You give this heart of mine a storm. If that's what you want then I shall accept it. You are right. Even though I love you I cannot just abandon this role just because of my affection. To help this world I need to be strong. I would do everything for this world for that is my purpose."

"Yes. That is your role to play."

She looked at him bitterly. He stared at her eyes and said, "I'll be around the shadows for you as I can."

"That's comforting," she said.

"Still," he said. "Would you allow me to invite you to a dance?"

"Huh?"

He smiled, "The star's so bright and the moon acts as our spotlight. Ciara, would you allow me to spend this time with you?"

"Of course," it was a smile that seems so bright. "I would love to spend this time with you."

He smirked. He pulled her hand and brought her into his embrace. Under the skies, he invited her into a dance within this night. He did not think of the past and the present. He only thought of making this night last.

She shared the same sentiment. She would fight armies of demons and suffer hardships. This night she was not the War Maiden that would save the Inner Lands from the demons. She was just Ciara who was dancing with Nolan under the lights of the stars. Just two souls finding solace in each other as they lost themselves in this lonesome dance of theirs.

One had to bear the world along with Six Heroes.

The other had to live in the shadows and watch over them.

Both have roles to play.

One was chosen and the other forced it upon himself to do so.

It should not be mistaken.

They will suffer.

They will know hardships.

But as they make this night last they are nothing but a pair who indulged their hearts out for once. There was no used thinking about the future they could do not know. There was no use to worry about the trivial troubles. Just for once under the heavens, they danced around as foolishly as they could. The War Maiden could not be found here. The Bleak Walker was not here as well. What you would find is just two of them indulging in this brief time where they could forget about the troubles they face.

And so they danced under the skies with smiles upon their faces.

Without a care, they danced and laugh heartily as they could do so.

48