Chapter 61: Intermission
2.5k 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adey, have you heard of the story of the Old Revenant?

No, I don't, why ask?

Let me tell you, there was once a fool who fell in love with the goddess of light.

He was foolish. A being foolish enough to make you wonder why would he do that?

You said he fell in love with the goddess of light.

He did. Isn't it odd that a creature of dark would fall in love with the goddess of light?

The revenant said, "Ah, mighty goddess, you give light to these eyes...warmth."

Why would that Old Revenant feel warm?

Because the Old Revenant wanted the embrace of the light, he was someone who lost all hope and in return granted freedom.

You see this Old being has fulfilled his purpose in killing those who he wanted to take revenge.

He was done but he was still alive.

He walked aimlessly not knowing that he is already dead.

It was only when the goddess of light showered her love upon the world once that this old Revenant found ways of relieving himself of this torturous existence of his. He thought of finding people of the light and seeks comfort in many ways as they could.

What happen?

Interested now? Very well, the Old Being searched for the people of the light. As you know the Old Revenant is an undead and imagine that undead seeking out of the people of light.

They would defend against him.

Yes. He sought for them but none turn towards him.

It was only when that I met this pitiful existence that I was able to tell him where he should go.

Huh? You know the Old Revenant.

That old fool was not aggressive. He looked like any man but you could tell the difference between a man and a revenant. They would have the pale eyes of death and pale skin. Their grayish and silver hair is also one of the things that distinguished them from everyone.

Does this mean that I am a Revenant?

No, you are an elf. Besides, you have that spark of life that none of these revenants have. They have dead eyes that only shine when they met those who are important or when they are near the field they are good. Hmm, I think you call them Bleak Walkers now.

Bleak Walkers, they are men with sigils in their eyes.

You met them.

I have. They are people who wander aimlessly. They have a presence in the Barren Lands and are men who found hope in losing everything—it gave them purpose without having anything.

They are no revenants though. They are nothing but heirs of the revenants. They cannot achieve the immortality that the Old Revenant has accomplished. At best they would receive a sigil in their eyes. Only when they are able to gather two sigils in their eyes that they are half-revenants that allows them to walk like one.

What is the connection?

To find that sweet release that Revenant allowed his heirs to inherit him

Inherit him?

Well...that is a secret that I like to keep. I'll tell you about it slightly.

Oh, revenant, rest now and pray that your heir shall find the way.

Oh, revenant of old, warrior of the past, a shedder of sinners.

May you rest, oh old Avenger.

Oh, pray that one day you will meet the light's embrace.

Your accursed heirs will inherit your pain, old warrior.

As your temporary releaser, the lord of the night shall grant this mercy.

Lord of the Night...to think you are one.

What? I thought the fangs and the red eyes revealed it already?

They have long ceased to exist.

I know that. I wouldn't be a miserable bat if they aren't.

So you were human once.

What?

Nothing, I am just amazed that I will meet a true ancient monster.

That's right. You guys are just called monsters because of this miasma. This Mandela's effect sure is absurd. I guess that warp storm did all of this?

I don't understand.

Of course, you won't, Adey.

Anyway, that is the only thing that I could you about that Old Revenant.

Is that so?

Yes. What is with that look?

I feel like there is a lot of things you didn't include.

Would you reveal to me the secrets of your life then?

No. I wouldn't. I get your point, Machina.

See? Anyway, are you really heading out of the Barren Land?

Yes. Dedra wanted to confirm the existence of the War Maiden. There was a group of three that is heading towards the ventilation that is connected to the underground cities. That ventilation still works but it has no city to purify since that city has been buried under rubble.

Oh, so you think that they will do something?

Humans are always eager to find an advantage. They are quite interesting and cruel at sometimes. Their sense of urgency and desperation is always remarkable to me.

I guess you'd understand that well.

I do, Adey.

Are you really going?

What? I may be like this but I am still a powerful creature. Now that I've rested well I can control my ancient powers and circulate it once again. You are lucky that you face me at my weakest. I wasn't the Destroyer of Worlds for nothing you know?

So I was at your mercy?

No, you were lucky. Besides, that gun could have ended me before I could set up the defenses needed to protect myself from your attack.

I guess the Lord of the Night, would have this.

Yes. Still, I think that the master of your people s far superior to me. Even though I only stayed in the city he has detected my presence. Luckily, that master is a generous being that allowed me to stay here. Though I think he doesn't want me interfering with your affairs.

Then why are coming with me?

I do not follow anyone so easily, Adey. He may be strong but I do not bow down to anyone who foolishly thinks that I will do what he says because of his power. I'll respect him as the master of your people. I will greet him respectfully but never bow.

I see. But please do not burden the Overlord. Let us go already.

Let us go.

21