Chapter 93: Nolan the Nobody Part 2
1.2k 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Gil, your trainee is looking good,” a man said.

“Aye, never thought that he’d actually try. He isn’t that clever, he still fumbles around his words, but he’s an okay lad.”

“Where did you think he came from?” the man asked.

“Who knows? It doesn’t matter really, he’s loyal, and that’s really it.”

“You have a narrow belief on your trainee...I thought you’d be boasting.”

“I got to be fair, Mac,” Sir Gil said. “I don’t want to make the lad think he’s already good. He has a healthy body but has one hell of a stubbornness that needs hammering. He has one hell of moral codes. Lad thinks that everyone can be saved. Who the hell thinks that other than those preachers and dreamers?”

“Yeah, must have one hell of a delusion. Also, you heard?”

“I did,” Sir Gil said. “The Maiden of Throes are going to joining us. Heard that the prophets are feeling the darkness. Do you think that damn Overlord started it?”

“Who knows?” Sir Gil shook his head. “They usually don’t bother to attack us. Not once in the last light war which was five hundred years ago that they did unless they have a reason. But I heard that they’re running out of food. Their lands are wastelands now, and I don’t think that will be good for us.”

“The hungry always try to seek food and start wars for it. Hey, your recruit is fumbling around.”

“Oh shit, I have to go now, see you later.”

Sir Gil walked to the person spinning his sword like a madman. His fist smacked on his head.

“Sir Gil’s?” Nolan said.

“What the fuck are you doing, Nolan?”

“Just trying some moves, Sir.”

“Swinging your sword around like an idiot, and you endangering those who are around you is playing around? Stop that nonsense, do the drills, I’ll be watching over you, and try not to fuck around with that, son, you're lacking in discipline, and that isn’t good. I like where you are going, you have stopped feeling sorry for yourself, that’s good, but you need to contain yourself. A guardsman of throes is discipline, and why the fuck are you smirking?”

“I don’t think Ton and Fez are that disciplined, Sir.”

“Fucking hell, do you think they act like that when they are on duty?”

He thought for a second, “No, Sir, I don’t think they do.”

“The guardsman of throes are the hardest sons of bitches you’d find in Oasis. We have been standing guard here for the best part of the years and none have come to complain about that. Do you know why, guardsman?”

“We are good at our jobs.”

“Exactly, and you are a guardsman of this city, and you should act like one. Our peers are better than us in terms of arms, and manpower, but we excel because we can handle the tide better than the rest. Honestly, you are the weakest of us, and since you are so deprived of muscles that it is impressive that you were able to manage to look like a dashing lad. Hmm, you look quite dashing now, since you are unique on your own way. Where did you really come from, lad?”

“...”

“Not telling, but oh well, I understand that we have our secrets, and we don’t easily tell. But that’s the best part of this city of Oasis, you can tell whoever you like, hide whatever your secrets are, and even then they’d bring their arms to protect it. You are a citizen of the throes now, and you should be someone who could protect this city. We separate the monsters, and the inner landers can sleep easy because we guard the damn borders.”

“Forgive me, I am still green,” Nolan said.

“Bah, I told you that I don’t need your forgiveness. A guardsman never seeks forgiveness, never plead for mercy, and they may cry, bite, chew, and despair, but they never give in no matter what happens. And we never run away from our comrades in arms.”

“Yes, sir!”

“Now practice!” Sir Gil said.

He practiced without rest. He joined the patrols and roamed the sands of oasis city dutifully. He would come on the training yard to train every day. After that, he’d clamber up the hill where you’d see half of Oasis, he would watch the city, observe the sands outside the barbicans, and gaze at the sky.

For the following days, he’d do that over and over again. He would focus on his training and stop his actions that might be considered as shameful for the guardsman of throes.

“Yo, still working hard?” Fez said.

“Fez?” Nolan lowered his spear. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much, oh, looks like you are finally gaining muscles, man. You’re a bit taller now. Whoa, maybe those gals would look at you now, damn son, you have good muscles forming even though all you do is practice with weapons, and climb like a monkey for a reason.”

“I’m trying to build up my stamina, and make myself a bit more flexible than before.”

“Flexible? What for?” Fez asked.

“I noticed that the monsters around the sands are rather...slow. Not to mention that their weaknesses need to be reached out. And I rather be faster on my feet as well as strong enough to swing a sword or pull a bow.”

“That’s good and all, but are you coming?”

“What for?” he asked.

“The maiden of throes are going to have a match. I heard the Cursed Woman is coming down to fight the next one that has the possibility of becoming a War Maiden. Want to see?”

“Eh, sure?”

He followed Fez through throngs and hubbub of the city. They found themselves in the district where the event was happening. The crowd was cheering and so far everyone was cheering against the woman who was out of breath. She held her sword with determination on her eyes.

“Who’s that?” he asked.

“That ugly woman?” Fez said. “That’s the Burnt Woman herself, came from some family who had riches once. They got robbed and she had half of her body burnt. Ugly isn’t she?”

“I see.”

19