Chapter 172: Impetus
583 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Einar stood with a stoic face. He flicks his sword and turned his attention to the two who were staring at him. He was surrounded by corpses, every single one of them torn to shreds, there was no change in Einar’s expression. The man, who was wounded, looked down and started laughing, before sighing.
 
“I guess I still have my luck,” the man said. “Thank you, warrior.”
 
“Warrior?” Einar sheathed his blade. “You are?”
 
“Wayne, Adventurer, ah, shit.”
 
“You look dying,” Einar cracked his neck. “Sorry, I didn’t bring any potions with me. I can’t help you.”
 
Alice ambled close, “I have one, here take this.”
 
The man took the potion from Alice. Alice, who gave the potion, glance briefly at Einar, before turning away. Einar tilted his head, folded his arms, and stared at the man who was healing his wounds. A milky light coated him, slowly melting into his body, the wounds that were around his hands vanished, and yet he was holding on to his chest.’
 
“I am Wayne, Adventurer. You, are you a student?”
 
“The armor?”
 
“Yeah, and that you are with the lady. The dance didn’t do shit. Look at me, I am bloody beaten.”
 
“What happened?” Einar sat cross-legged.
 
“Something’s down there, down the 100th floor, a monster, something that could take down ancients, angels, and even the undead.”
 
“No wonder you could run away from those monsters. I was sure that half of your bones were broken. I guess you want to contact the Paladins then?”
 
“Right, I think I feel a lot better.”
 
“Then we should hurry,” Einar stood and turned to Alice. “We should return, are you ready to go, Alice?”
 
Alice nodded, not saying anything. Einar watched her for a second before offering Wayne a hand. He pulled Wayne up, and they started marching to the direction of the stairs leading to the 9th floor of the labyrinth.
 
***
 
As they travel up to the surface, Einar looked at Alice who was silent. He neared her, rubbed the back of his head, and turned to the ceiling.
 
“You sure got silent, anything bothering you?”
 
“It’s nothing.”
 
“So something is bothering you. You saw me kill them right? They should be monsters that someone like me can’t handle. I admit though that I can handle them, no, they weren’t even anything something good. The old man I know told me that such monsters are susceptible to death simply by targeting their vitals.”
 
“And you were able to target their vitals while being surrounded?”
 
“I did. I could only do so because I stunned them with that rune. Once they were stopped in their tracks, I made use of the confusion to kill them. If I relied purely on my sword and if I didn’t have the sword of Alva helping me; I’d be a dead man who would have been killed.”
 
Einar stared at Alice’ eyes.
 
“You look at me as if I am a monster.”
 
“Yes,” she didn’t deny. “I think of you a monster that should be avoided. I used to think that I could reach something. That if I put my effort into it then I might just be good enough. But looking at you made me think that it was impossible. Einar, I think that after this we shouldn’t talk to each other.”
 
Einar squared his shoulders. He looked up for a second.
 
“You hate me now? Or do you fear me? I know that look so well. Saw it many times and you are not even trying to hide it.”
 
“I don’t know. I don’t know what to think about you. I thank you for what you did in protecting me while I dance. I appreciate what you did as you fight those horrible monsters without knowing any tinge of fear. I admire you, Einar, I really do. But yet you look so monstrous to me right now. I don’t know what to feel about someone who could easily rip me apart talking to me like this.”
 
“Is that so?” Einar snorted. “I don’t blame you for thinking that. It’s easy to fear something that could tear you apart. Still, I reached my strength through single-minded focus, commitment and sheer effort of will. The old man who taught me had me practiced until the day I could be good as him. I could kill them simply because the old man knows too well how to kill monsters beyond him. Honestly, the old man who taught me all I know wouldn’t recommend what I did. I can only do this because I know I can. I understand why you’d want to stay away from me. ”
 
She didn’t reply. She lowered her head and continued walking without talking. Einar didn’t explain himself further. He didn’t bother thinking about what Alice thought of him. No, he just couldn’t understand the point of thinking about things that he could not control.
 
The three reached the entrance of the labyrinth and saw the crowd of people gathered. Many eyes were pointed at Einar who was clad in blood. Wayne disappeared from the crowd, and Alice left without saying any words as well. Einar stared at his hands, it was bloodied, and he still could feel instincts sharpening his senses.
 
“I guess I really got influenced by the old man, huh,” he thought. “I trained this body with him and molded it to that of a warrior as I grow up.  That was a great slaughter, and the feeling of the heart pumping so madly…feels really good.”
 
Einar exhaled deeply and inhaled slowly. He slaps both of his cheeks and scanned the people around him. He couldn’t see Thea or anyone that he knew so he walked out of the crowd, ambled outside the tower. Many carriages were gathering around and many soldiers were gathering outside of the Tower.
 
The dance was over, and yet no calmness surrounded the world.
 
“This must be related to what happened inside,” he grabs hold of his chin.  “Whatever is that lurks inside, it’s something that even I might not be able to handle.”

12