Chapter 178: Goodwill Blues 1
556 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After taking a leap of faith, Einar controlled his fall by turning into a wraith, canceling the fall damage that would ensue. He didn’t want to reveal his wraith form so he phased underground, traveled below and appeared on an alley near the tower. He sauntered out of the street, hands inside his pockets, and carried on.

The craftsman district was a place where specialized merchants work. The buildings are thinly separated from each other, and each house had two floors. It was silent and only a few ladies, kids, and a white dog were around the street when Einar passing through. He kicked a pebble and was warned by a militia. He admired that the street was clean. A cleaner was regularly cleaning the sewages and carrying the waste using carts.

Along the way he spotted a creek by his left, it circles the tower, and people used it to travel around the city. Einar saw white pebbles, fishes, and strange multi-colored grasses. He continued walking near where the creek was and finally arrived in front of a store that has a sign that says ‘Pale Shine.’

“Welcome, oh, Einar,” the voice said.

Einar entered the store and noticed the shelves and various materials stocked up. On the far left of the room was Alice, manning the counter, her left hand leaning on it. Her hair was tied, she was dressed in a white cotton shirt, and wore brown pants. She was looking at Einar without moving.

“You really do hate me,” Einar said, holding on to his chin. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No you didn’t,” she shook her head. “I am not that unreasonable to hate you for protecting me. I, just realized how shallow I was for being mad at you. I was wonder how to face you after walking away without saying a word,” she sighed, “you are putting me in an awkward situation, coming here without letting me know.”

Einar looked at the shelves, “This is a pretty okay store. Do your brother harvest these items himself?”

“He does.”

“Where’s he?”

“Not around this time. The tower is locked and entry is prohibited. This is bad for business and so Brother had to travel to the nearest mountain to get items. So I have to manage our shop for a while.”

“Sounds tiring.”

“It is, but this is our way to get money. I don’t have to worry about paying fees with my merits up to par. Too bad they don’t give us allowance that I can use to further my studies and improve my practices. So, are you going to buy anything? There might be something that you want.”

Einar browsed the shelves and pulled a casing made of hollowed wood, “What’s this?

“Smokescreen, we have firebombs as well.”

“You sell those?”

Alice played with her hair, “They are useful outside or when you are being chased by animals. Doubt you’d need something like that, considering how strong you are already.”

“I’ll take it.”

“What need you of it?”

“I can use it.”

“Then I won’t pry,” she held her palm towards Einar. “Ten gold coins.”

Einar reached for his pocket, “Here you go.”

Ten coins were placed on her hand, “You heirs are loaded.”

“Ma and Pa didn’t give me an allowance. I worked for the Princess. I get most of my funding from her.”

“Which one?”

“Claudia.”

Alice narrowed her eyes, “Is it really okay for you to say that?”

“It’s not a secret.”

“Even so…” She folded her arms and looked at one of the items on the shelves. “I don’t think you should be saying that. Claudia huh, you decided to work for the Heretical Princess?”

“Yes, she’s a good Princess.”

“Not from what I hear. She’s been under inquisitive eyes for what she has been saying. I agree with her but to insult the Gods. That’s heretical.”

“She’s not insulting them,” Einar gestured with his finger. “She’s just saying that the Gods give the mercy, while we do the labor. We can’t expect the Gods to do all the work for us now, can’t we?”

“True, still, I don’t agree with some of her views. Weirdly, the Princess is being so honest. If she wants to be heir-apparent. Wouldn’t it be better if she just stays quiet?”

“That isn’t her style,” Einar said, leaning on the counter. “Anyway, are you to hold up here?”

“Hmm, I have to do business.”

Einar looked at the store, then back to Alice.

Alice frowned, “You get what I mean.”

Einar smiled thinly. He suddenly grabbed on to Alice’s wrist. “Come on, I still need to thank you for dancing that well.”

“Huh?” She said. “All I did was the dance. There’s no need to thank me.”

“I do. Come on, don’t fear this monster!”

Alice’s forehead was all wrinkled, “Please let go of my hand.”

“Come on, just let me thank you for a bit,” Einar squared his shoulders and stared at her eyes sternly.

Alice rubbed her forehead with her other hand, “Fine, I’ll go okay? Gee, why are you so forceful.”

Einar lets go of her hand and grinned at her. Alice sighed, she went to Einar’s side, sized him up and placed her right fist on Einar’s torso.

“You are a strange man.”

“Sure, sure, let’s go.”

“Let me lock up the doors, please. Wait outside.”

“Kay.”

Einar went out of the store and waited near the door, leaning on the wall. An auntie who was carrying food for the bazaar passed by, selling jerky. Einar bought one and chewed it on it while waiting for Alice. She came out of the door wearing her sword belt and looked at Einar who was chewing on jerky.

“You really are so carefree. Hmm, I thought you’d be carrying that sword around. You look gallant and dashing wielding that.”

“Aw, I preferred being a monster.”

“Holding a grudge? Come on now, I apologize.”

“Sure, sure, I don’t think of it anyway.”

“Really, sigh, come on.”

Einar started his legs to the direction leading outside the gates. Alice followed, walking shoulder-to-shoulder with Einar. Chatting as they walked alongside the road near the creek.

13