Chapter 179: Goodwill Blues 2
550 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside the city, there are fields of flowers that radiate with a red glow. To Einar’s surprised, they were glowing with even more radiance than before. He walked through the field of red flowers, carving an arrow path. Behind him was Alice, walking silently with her hands crossed.

“You know, taking a girl into a field of flowers is quite a tacky thing to do.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I am not that interested in you.”

“Wow,” Alice rolled her eyes. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“Don’t misunderstand me, you are beautiful and your hair is silky, I like it.”

“Thanks,” Alice said. “That’s a first for me, you know, my family has strange blood where women have white hair. When you see white hair, you’d think that the person is old, or an elf.”

“Really? I don’t get it. Sure, different hair color and that, but damn your face is beautiful,” he stared at her and shook his head. “Though I think that the reason no one approached you is because of your appearance. You are always covered in blood and bandages so it's hard to approach a pretty girl like that. Also, I got to ask you this, you are so used to your own appearance, but when you saw me being covered by blood, you thought of me as a monster. Odd, isn’t it?”

Einar’s face full of grin made Alice sulk, “Come on, you were slaughtering monsters like it was nothing. I am covered by own blood while you were piling up corpses while I was dancing. How can I not think of you as a monster? Your weapon didn’t even meet any resistance to their fur and scales!”

“I have my methods,” Einar stopped to survey the place. He found a clearing among the field of flowers. He sauntered near the clearing and saw a pond.

“Let’s start to fish. I have a string and a hook with me.”

Alice painfully looked at the pond. “Are you serious? Also, how did you found a strange place like this?”

“Everyone knows this place, there are many holes like this since under this field is a series of tunnels filled with water. Do you wonder why they glow? It’s because the water that the flowers are taking in have algae that when disturbed, would produce a strange chemical reaction that makes them glow.”

“Didn’t know that,” Alice squatted near the pond. “There are many fishes here, hmm, so I assume you have bait?”

“I do,” Einar fished out the jerky he bought. “Come on, I’ll get some stick and then let us sit down. Nice place isn’t it?”

“You know, this is a strange place to fish. Hmm, I thought you’d be telling me sweet nothings,” Alice said.

“Is that so?” Einar looked around for a stick and started setting up. He sat near Alice and started drawing runic lines around the area of the stick. The lines emit a slight glow as he rubs his finger around the stick. Alice, who watched him, couldn’t help but stare at the strange way of using runes.

“What are you performing?”

“Pull. It’s a rune of attraction.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask this. Your runes are way different. Who taught you this?”

“The same old man who taught me everything that I know.”

“This strange old man makes me curious. What’s he like?”

“Stubborn, strong, romantic, and a fool.”

“You're calling your master a fool?”

“He calls himself like that,” Einar closed his eyes, thinking of the soul that slumbers inside him, and opened it. “He’s a man who went against all odds and wasted his life being heartbroken.”

“I see,” Alice nodded. “I kinda understand why you aren’t acting like the usual nobles. Most young men would go to that entertainment district to play with women. You are so indifferent with women that it surprises me.”

“Wow, you make me sound so innocent. I should pat myself on the back for not being a horny teenager. Master would be so proud that I am not being a waste like he was.”

“Alice shrugged her shoulders, “Now, if you are only a bit gentler and not so pushy. That would be a good thing.”

“If I wasn’t pushy you would be stuck in your store. Come on now, Alice. It’s okay to work so hard but you got to take a break once in a while. Oh, I am going to start fishing.”

Alice sighed and turned her attention to the pond. It reflected her and the young man who was trying to fish in this small pond. Indeed, she was so focused on becoming stronger for a future that she has no control over. “I just don’t want to lose anyone again,” Alice thought. She resolved herself.

"Future?" She scoffed. "I cannot really do anything about that. What matters is right now! I could die today so I might as well be living in the present to be content of what I have now!"

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you suddenly, but that’s good. You don’t want your heart to be so heavy that it drags you down, right? So instead of worrying about things that you can’t control, then worry about now instead, one day at a time, until you can reach your goal. I am not that against working hard but you got to take a break.”

“Heh, how come you dragging me here turned out like this?”

“I don’t know, probably because I just want someone to accompany me fish?”

“You lost me, so, are you the only one going to fish yourself?”

Einar pointed at the stick and string, “Use it, you should know how to make a cast right?”

“Write a rune on it, then we’ll talk. Oh, you should forget about catching any fish while I’m around. I live near a creek, and it is one of the things that I am good at. So please forget about catching anything.”

Alice had a smile that could reach the heavens on her face. Einar was stunned for a moment before smiling to himself, “Looks like you cheered up a bit.”

Alice shook her head, and stared at him, “I just want to be cheery at the moment.”

Einar grinned and bumped his fist against Alice’s fist. The two fished quietly.

12