Chapter 212: Intermission – The Voices Inside Her Head
615 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    Nolan saw the space tear in front of him. Ciara, walked out of the tear, her face appearing out of the space tear. Nolan folded his arms, fist clenched, eyeing Ciara. “He’s alive isn’t he?”

“He tore the spiritual link,” Ciara said. “He’s alive, looks like a speck of his soul survived, regenerated, and molded his soul and flesh back. It took months for him to do so, however. He had cracks all over his soul and his soul felt like yours when I saw you back then after five hundred years of disappearance. Hmm, it is a good thing it didn’t take five hundred years for him to regenerate.

Nolan blinked. “Is that so…It’s good that he’s alive…that’s good.” There was a knot that was untied in his heart. “Were his memories fine?”

She walked towards the crib where the twins were sleeping. “You exposed him to your memories, didn’t you? It seems that the memories you showed him were loss and his fifteen years of existence were kept. I managed to heal his soul but there are cracks around it. Unless he consumes a soul similar to Kaiser, then his soul would be fragile. I rid the abilities of the wraith away from him. Materializing into the form of a ghost and being hurt would cause his soul to be damaged. His flesh resembled yours, he can still cast runic spells but that’s it.”

“My blessings are gone, huh,” Nolan placed both of his hands on the crib. “I taught him all I could and there should be no worry about his abilities itself. Still, I can’t help but worry about the boy with his current condition.”

“Forgive me,” she said. “I wish I could do more for the boy, but doing beyond what I did would truly obliterate his soul.”

“It’s enough at least for now,” he said with a low hushed tone. “You sensed his soul immediately, huh.”

“I did. Every living being that I kill is absorbed by my soul. Hah, you know, the screams inside my head are usually horrible, but among them, his voice was the only one who were kind, so kind that it stung more than the curses hurled by the screams inside my head. I, I should have known that someone who was raised by you shouldn’t be so easily killed. If I have been more observant then I would have seen that his soul was alive. His soul wouldn’t be in an awful state.”

“What need is there to weep over parts of it now?” Nolan said to her. “I accepted you despite thinking that he was dead. This changed things, and I am happy my boy is alive, however, there are things that we have no control over, and these are one of them.”

She blinked at him. “You really did teach him, didn’t you? That boy, he was kind that it hurts. I understand why you took a liking to that boy, and why you would be so angered about his death. I am glad that he’s alive but…”

“What?”

“He’s stuck in a war,” she said. “I would understand if you want to go back to him.”

“No,” he shook his head. “He can handle himself as long as he doesn’t meet any threat beyond his abilities. Besides, you marked him right?”

“Yes, seven lotus blessings, he should be able to survive seven dangers. It should allow him a second wind at the moment of danger. It is nothing compared to a time wraith’s phasing ability, but it should be enough to survive. He should know instinctively the seven fortunes he has now.”

“That’s good,” Nolan breathe out.

“Aren’t you worried?”

“Worried about what?”

“That boy is in the middle of a war.”

“I am, but he isn’t so weak to be culled by anyone. The only misfortune that he had met with was meeting a War Maiden that fought through time and space.”

Ciara smiled bitterly. “True, he was unfortunate to meet someone like me.”

“That’s right.”

“That’s the part where you should comfort me.”

“You? Comfort? Impossible, the woman who doesn’t want to be pitied wants comfort now?”

“I know you’d say that,” she smiled. “You really are holding it against me, what I have done.”

“I am holding it against you.”

She walked towards him and pressed her fist on his chest. “Don’t overdo it, okay?”

“I won’t,” he grabbed hold of her arm. “Still, does the noise in your head loud, Ciara?”

“It is, but do not worry about me, I am used to their curses and insults. They aren’t as annoying as they used to be when you are around, and the gentle snore of Rory and Eira makes their voices quieter.”

Nolan grabbed both her cheeks. “Tell me when they are loud.”

“Do you think I’m that weak? No, they might tell me what I am, a monster, a destroyer of worlds, but I never doubted who I am from the start. I might fall, I might despair, but I know who I am and I am not seeking any of their pity or understand. I know when to ask forgiveness, and I know when to reason or when I overstepped my bounds. The noises in my head might tell me and curse me, but they are not me. The things I did I own them. Whether people like me or not, or whether these souls condemn me for what I did. It doesn’t matter.”

“Well, aren’t you resolute?” He took his hands off her cheeks.

“Isn’t that why you are with me?”

“True,” he put his hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry about my boy, Einar. Well, at least you don’t have to worry about him.”

“You…are taking this well calmly.”

“I had a lot of time to think. Besides, I am just happy that he’s alive. That’s good, I didn’t lose a son, and he can still live a life. It bothers me that he’s in the middle of a war, but sometimes they have to be forged in fire. Don’t you think so, Ciara?”

Ciara nodded without thought, she looked at her children and showed them with her gaze. The voices inside her head quieted and their curses grew silent.

12