Chapter 214: The Young Lord’s Servant
555 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The walk back to his home was a tiresome one. He was smiling while strolling to the snowy landscape leading to the House of Elior. He saw a huge frame mansion with two floors and a stable on the right. He thought that maybe he should really act and surprise the family. Then, he remembered the words of Old Tarsus.

There was no one around with snow falling heavily. None of the people who usually were around were training. Not even the line of horses that were usually parked on the stable held by a straw rope. There was only the silence of the winds and his boots clumping the snow. He plodded through and saw a woman who was staring at the ribbon. She wore no dress but a leather armor with mail. She was looking at the ribbon on her palm. She had not noticed the figure walking on the snow. Einar didn’t leak out any sound other than his boots. His movement was similar to a panther sneaking up close. The maiden who held the ribbon on her hand stared blankly. She must have thought that Einar was another warrior, as she was saying.

“Leave me,” she said with a bitter tone. “I do not wish to speak with anyone. Master Lionel and the Lady wanted me to join their war. But I do not serve them willingly and only did because the Young Lord wanted me to. So, try not to bother me-“

When she looked up she saw a stolid-faced young man with snow covering him. She opened her mouth widely first but she clamped her mouth tightly, tied the ribbon around her hair and stood up. “Young Lord, you are alive, as expected, this Camilla has not lost her faith.”

“Says the one who was staring at her ribbon so sadly.” He said with his hand on her head. “How old are you? Sulking around as if you were a woman who hasn’t seen death yet.”

“Do not ask a woman’s age, Young Lord. Besides, any woman would be sad when they lose their important person.” She said that while snow painted the left side of her face. “I am angry that you didn’t notice us. I am angry at the thought of my Young Lord dying to a monster.”

“Monster,” he said wearily. “Please do no call a lonely woman like that, it’s rude, and she’s not a monster. Just a lost person who wanted to see her loved one. Hey, I just paired two idiots who spent ages running away from another. It really is true, once you have a child, it is impossible to break the link.”

“You’ve been matchmaking,” she stood glaring. “Young Lord, a soldier saw you die fighting a woman who broke the backs of the favored children. They say you died valiantly but I don’t believe. I wanted to believe that you wouldn’t fall so easily. Young Lord, you always go around punishing people silently. You’d be gone for weeks and returned but I know you would return because you would leave a word. This time, you didn’t leave a word, you worried me to the point that I am here now, wearing my armor, ready to go to war in hopes that I could protect the house that you are not in. Tell me, Young Lord, do I have the right to be angry?”

“You do,” Einar said, his arms folded. He wiped the snow on her cheek. “I’m sorry that I worried you, my Camilla. Aside from the Old Man, you are my closest and I would never dare to make you sad. Did I frighten you?”

She buried her forehead on Einar’s chest. “Yes, you did. Master, your dream is stupid and heartbreaking. I dread to think what you would do if no one buries you. We made an agreement, my Einar. That you will die alone but I will be the one to bury you. I hate your dream but I respect you. So don’t die without letting me know where you went to, okay?”

“Goodness,” he patted her back. “Why are you such a worrywart, my Camilla? Really, this is the reason why I want you to marry someone. A strong assertive man who would tell a woman like you to stay still and just be a good girl.”

“No, I refuse.” She shook her head while still burying her face on Einar’s chest. “You defeated me when I was weak and lost. You picked up a woman like me, taught me to be a good servant, and now you want me to marry someone? Young Lord, please do not take my oath and vows as if they are just throwaways. Do you want me to bite you?”

“No,” he pushed her away. “Please do not bite me, Camilla. Really, I was only an away for a bit and did a gamble. I assure you, that other than my powers, everything is fine.”

“That being that you fought. Would she come back?”

“Why would she when she’s living the good life with her husband now?” He said smiling. “Auntie destroyed me and if anything none could destroy her happiness other than another jealous woman. But they fought over and over again so there’s no need to think about it.”

“You sound as if you are talking about two women squabbling over a man. Please don’t tell me that the monster everyone fears is nothing but a woman who lost his man?”

“Why do you have to make it so difficult when the answer is easy?” He inhaled through his nose. “Don’t worry, Auntie will not be coming back or will bother anyone as long as her children are safe.”

She held her head. “Your words are hard to believe, Young Lord.”

“You just have to believe me on that. Oh, and tell anyone that I destroyed her at the cost of losing my powers.”

“Did you really?”

“Of course not, heavens, not a single being can beat that woman. Oh man, I want to know how the Old Man keeps her still. I rather not know how he would deal with a woman who can split continents and tear open space!”

11