Chapter 215: An Elior’s Courage
556 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Einar blinked, patting away the snow on his coat. “Where’s father and mother?”

“Away,” she replied. “They’ve been busying themselves with war. I’ll send a message to them.”

Einar placed his hand on the wall. “What about my little sis?”

“Hasn’t come out yet. She cried really hard on your funeral. Can’t blame the little girl, she got a brother, and then died without a word from him. She’ll come out and be happy if you see her now.”

“I will.” He started up the stairs and went up the second floor. “Only a few people are left it seems.”

Camilla said. “All of them went to war. You know how this House is, built from the backs of mercenary and warriors. All of us go to war and your parents are no exception.”

“But you stayed.”

“Because I believed in you.”

Einar stopped walking and stared at her. “Thank you, for taking care of her.”

“She’s Young Lord’s little sister. I wouldn’t leave a little girl who thinks she’s cursed. Not until I know that a servant would care for her.”

Einar continued walking until he reached a room. He twisted the handle of the door and saw a little girl hugging her doll with a blank look on her face. Eyes unfocused as if she couldn’t even bother to look at the world around. Einar took a silent stride to the little girl, wiping her face.

“Eh?”

“Eh, what? Saw a ghost, little sis?”

“Brother?”

“Yes, I am your brother, and why are so sad?”

“But!”

“But what? Oh, do you not have faith in your own brother? How come?”

“You were dead!” She twisted on the bed. “You are not?”

“I am not. Happy? Sad? Or am I ghost to you now? Camilla said you were not leaving your room!”

“But,” she sobbed, back hunched, and snot forming on her nose. “Brother died, and, then, everyone said you were dead!”

“I am not certain,” Einar said. “Do your brother look like someone so easily weak?”

“Brother is strong!”

“Then come here, you,” he hugged the little girl. “Sorry to worry you, little sis. Had to be away to match a man and a woman.”

She wiped her tears off. “Matched a man and a woman? What did you do, Brother?”

“Making sure that a lonely man would meet a lonely woman again. That’s all there is to it.” He smiled gently. “They had been through a lot and it matters to me that they are together now. One day, they might and visit, show their children to us.”

“Oh!” Her eyes sparkled. “Tell me! Tell me! She wiped her tears and snot off.

“Well, once upon a time there’s a man who loves a woman. He loved the woman and was a soldier so loyal that he was willing to wait for many years. He followed the woman to many troubles and fought with her until the day they could see the light again. The woman was a dutiful woman and she could never repay the man’s love. It was a drug that she won’t take until she saves the world. And she did save the world but it was too late already. She had died and the man walked the ends of the earth to see the sun again. In the end, she could be with him and yet time was kind to them. Cruel and kindly that it took them many years to stop running away. The man was a stubborn fool who didn’t give up and the woman was a single-minded woman who couldn’t abandon a world for the sake of a man.”

“Are they immortal?”

“They might be. But I think they will live long enough and has lived long enough to know that they will be lonely without each other. It was foolish you know?”

“Brother brought them together that’s why Brother was away?”

“Yes, I brought them together and made sure they won’t leave each other again. So Brother is sorry since he has to deal with two fools who can’t stop running away. Does little sis understand now?”

“I do!” Her tears were gone. Only reddened cheeks with the color of a rose. “Does that mean Brother will stay now?”

“Not for too long,” Einar said. “Little sis should believe in me, and that you should stay strong no matter what. Brother might go away, and Brother might not come back again alive. Little sis is smart, you get what I mean.”

“I know,” she lowered her head. “I just want to see brother again.”

“And here I am!” He pressed her little nose. “Be brave, be courageous and never be trapped in a room okay? I will be very mad if you keep doing this, does little sis understand?”

“I do!” She raised both hands. “I will be strong since Brother asked me to!”

“That’s the spirit!” Einar chuckled. “The blood of Elior flows through your veins! Never be afraid and always have courage when there is a need for courage. Never forget to move on and march forward despite it all. That’s why, I don’t want to see you sulking and being so gloomy, okay, little sis?”

“Okay!” She reached her arms around Einar. Her tiny arms were making it difficult for her so Einar wrapped his arms around Layla. He felt the warmth of his little sis and couldn’t help but smile. He saw Camilla standing with a smug grin on her face and said. “Isn’t she a brave child?”

“She’s an Elior,” Camilla gave a slight nod. “I expected this. It would be odd if she stays sad even though her brother is around now. That’s why I expected this.”

“No need to fool yourself with that grin of yours,” Einar told her. “You really are bad at showing that you are happy, my Camilla. For now, how about you prepare something for me and Layla here? Old Tarsus scolded me and never gave me food. I am starving. Come on, Layla, let’s eat okay?”

He lifted her by the armpits and placed her on his shoulders. Camilla smiled at the siblings and led the way to the kitchen. The two were starving and Camilla was happy to serve both of them.

16