Chapter 218: The Black Dogs of Karl
517 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He sprinted across the rooftops of the city without slipping. The banner of the Tower City flapped about in the direction where the banners are. Einar navigated the roofs with his left hand pulling him from long distances. It was like an extended invisible hand he made of his own. Made his own through materializing the physical energy. He could conjure earth and water on his palm so he thought that he might as well do something like this.

Einar rushed to the edge of a roof and leap into a roll, from his right shoulder across the hip, he started up, bent his knees, and took a leap of faith, grabbing hold to a beam, before planting his palms on the wall, rotating his body, and sliding down, his left hand conjuring the invisible hand grabbing on to something, breaking his fall.

Einar heard the metal parts of weapons turning. He flicked his other hand and conjured a spheroid barrier that deflected the bolts instead of blocking them. “Halt!” A voice said loudly. Einar stood with his hand still in gesture, keeping the barrier up, eyes staring at the uniformed men wearing cloaks with the symbol of the Black Dogs.

“The Son of Elior lives!” A man carrying a two-handed sword came out. “Ah, knew it was bullocks that you’d fall. I take it that this means that you’d deal with the astral being?”

“Karl Von Harden, Commander of the Black Dogs, looks like you are worth the money.”

“Einar Elior, the Man Who Should Be Dead, your existence here only means you succeeded. The tales of your prowess despite being so young are true.”

The Black Dogs lowered their crossbows. Karl said, “Pardon, had too many strays around the place. Men who thought the right hand of the Heretical Princess would fall so easily.”

Einar glowered at him. “A mercenary actually holding to his contract?”

“Respectable,” Einar added. “What keeps you from stabbing him from the back?”

“You think lowly of us, no, I don’t see that you do. All I see is that you are wary of us. The Dead Man worries,” he put a hand on his chin. “That is even more than I could think. The man is your friend, I understand that. However, we may be called dogs, but we never abandon our contracts for anything else. When a man breaks his words then we are nothing but oath-breaking fools. Oath breaking is bad for our business. You understand this, right?”

“I do,” he tapped the hilt of his sword with his gloved fingers. “So where is my friend?”

Karl thumbed behind him. “Your friend got hit by a bolt right on the shoulder. He got lucky that there wasn’t any poison smeared on the bolt. He’s sleeping and we are guarding him. Or do you want to accuse of anything?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I don’t accuse any of you, just trying to take in how you’d go this far for a man facing opposition everywhere. Aren’t you dogs hunted down by now? To die by your contract. Are those truly the words that you believe in?”

“Yes,” he scowled. “Do you want us to back out from this contract? Dead Man, you aren’t our employer and I find it strange that you’d want us to be out of this fight. Do you really think your friend could survive without us blocking his enemies? We are useful to be around.”

“I know. I just don’t trust you at the moment. Still, I am not distrustful enough not to notice the service you have done to my friend.” Snow fell above the place where Einar came in. He looked at the Black Dogs with a stolid look on his face. You know me, didn’t you?”

“We heard the prowess of the Heir of Elior. We saw your fight with the Astral Being and the way you drove it away. We are all witness of your abilities.”

Einar straightened his back. His chin slightly raised. “Then know that I will hunt you all down like the dogs you are if you betray me and your employer..” He scowled at them. “I will believe in your oaths and I will not lay my blade against all of you until then.”

Karl grinned. “If this was spoken by another soul. We would have laughed and held our bellies. I don’t know what made you this strong and stern, but I rather not pissed off a killer of your caliber.” He emphasized on the word killer. Einar snorted and turned his attention to the black dogs.

They looked at Einar the same way they do at monsters. He was taller than everyone present and despite being so young. He had a muscular build that mistook him for a young man on his twenties. He seethes with the intent that only those who have killed could let out. He had no light in his eyes and his face placid look gave the Black Dogs a startle.

Einar kept his silence until started to the direction where Rufus was. Rufus was bracing his back on the wall, holding his shoulder, keeping a cloth pressed on his wound. His eyes half-opened while looking at Einar. “Rufus,” Einar patted his other shoulder. “You look alright.”

Rufus eyed him. “Either I am dead or hallucinating. I can’t be dead so it must be you. Even if you are an illusion then help me, an illusion. Make the bastard who ordered to shoot me pay.”

“Hmm, that’s a different reaction, but I see no point dallying.” Einar stood and turned his attention the Black Dogs, elbows squared and eyes glowering at them. “Karl,” he said, “I will leave Rufus to you. I don’t think I need to tell you how to do your job. Just remember what I said a while ago.”

Karl scowled. “Your distrust is unwelcoming, but I have no qualms against you. If it is the only way you can stomach our presence then let it be so, Einar Elior.”

The two stared with sparks going off between them. Einar looked down at Karl Von Harden and with a scowl. He turned his back and set his mind on the task ahead.

10