Chapter 253: The Town Of Onerous
414 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After going back to the town. Amadan went to a tavern. Entering, he noticed the adventurers clamoring about, discussing, and drinking happily, most of them were travel-weary, and their cloak was on their shoulders, and their pewter cups meeting with a clack. The air smelled of wine, ale, and tobacco. Along with it, was the serving girl, carrying a tray to the customers.

He took his usual seat on the far corner of the room.

“So that mirage,” said a voice. “You think that’s real?”

“They said so,” said another voice. “A tower that pierces the sky, containing all the riches that we could not possibly imagine.”

A man snorted. “You’d think that’s so easy? A tower that is supposed to be bigger inside, I cannot fathom what we will find inside that place. If we could ever find it in the first place.”

Amadan raised his hand. The servant girl came to him, offering a wink, and a poked on his shoulder. He smiled thinly, and then took the pewter cup.

“Drinking instead of laboring, Amadan?” said the girl.

“Yes, Ana. Do you find it so odd that I am not working?”

She sniffed, too close to his neck. “Yes. You’d be an ideal husband if you ever decide to get married.”

“Is that so?” He snorted, taking a sip of his ale. “Not going to work, Ana?”

“Do you hear someone calling?” She sat across him. “If not then I’d be here. You still smell of blood. Who did you kill?”

“Fiends.”

“I heard that the merchants were stalled. You’re going to charm the lasses around with this.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Please, have some confidence, you are tall, well-built, and hardworking. And add that you can protect yourself well to that list of charms you have.” She raises one hand. “I’m available, just say the word, and I’ll be willing to bed you.”

“Oh brother,” he palmed his face. “I don’t need teasing.”

“Cheer up,” she said. “I say that you are looking glum. Hard not to notice when you’re so cheery. What happened? First kill? Did Lady Aria reject your advances? You can tell me everything.”

“And have you talking to everyone?” He said dismissively. “I just want to drink some.”

“This early?” She said, looking outside. The rain had started falling. “I understand if you want to rest here. Still, never saw you so gloomy and brooding.”

“Ana, what would you do if just can’t accept the changes happening to you?”

“I’ll think about it. Is this what that this about?”

“It is.”

“Then I can’t help you.”

He stared at her, almost smirking. “That was fast.”

“I’m not good about that stuff.”

“Understandable. Hmm, Rain is pouring hard.”

“It sure is.”

“So, how long you’d be staying.”

“Until I finish this drink.”

“No, I mean, how long you’d be staying with Aria? She usually travels around in adventures. Seeing that you are her confidant, and servant, I assume that you’d be traveling around as well.”

“She travels a lot?”

“What makes you think that she’s always in town? She’s a Song Maiden, and many want her talents, Amadan. She’s quite the effective lancer and healer.”

“Is that so.”

“Yes, that’s why I wonder if you’d be staying here as a housekeeper or go with her.”

“I’ll go with her,” he said decisively. “I’ll aid her as best as I could.”

She leans on the table, “Then that settles it. I hope you can keep up with her. Aria’s quite the adventurer, and sometimes she doesn’t appear for a year or so. She’s easily homesick so you’ll be back here always.”

“She’s an adventurer.”

“Don’t tell me you thought she was just the local Songstress?”

“Yes,” Amadan nodded.

“Oh man,” she tapped her finger on the table. “If she had decided to hire you then that means you’d be her luggage carrier. She always talked about hiring another to carry her luggage and lance; so I think you’ll do best.”

“A baggage carrier, huh.”

“Don’t be down,” she leaned on the chair. “I’m sure you’ll be useful to Aria. She’s strong and reliable, but she’s always alone in her trips. This should stop the worries of the lasses around. I am not sure if she’s going to the civil lands this time.”

“Civil lands?” She raised a brow. “The Central State, oh please, don’t act as if you don’t know, oh, you don’t know?”

Amadan nodded.

“Holy,” she said. “The Central State is the Civil Lands, and they govern these lands. The Uncivil lands, the wildlands, and the states. Amadan, did you lose your memories?”

Amadan couldn’t reply. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know, I won’t pry but the Civil Lands always calls for help, and I heard that before long the land that this town is built on is going to be part of the Civil Lands. So maybe we’ll have a name for this town at long last.”

“I find it odd that the town isn’t named.”

She smiled grimly. “Well, when you are in lands like these. It’s hard to name them, knowing that they might just disappear in one night. This town is rather fortunate, and it lasted twenty-years, which is a miracle itself. Other towns don’t last a year out here, and we are suspecting that this is blessed land.”

This was new information for Amadan. “So, do they have a name in mind?”

She placed one finger on her chin. “Onerous, the town of obligations.”

“I don’t get it.”

She smiled thinly. “I don’t get it either. Still, I’d like to think that the name of the town suits it well.”

Amadan scratches the back of his head. “Well, at least I don’t have to call this town, just ‘this town’ ever again. Yes, I think I’m going to like the name after all.”

“People like it, and you see the adventurers?” She looked at the adventurers. “They’re here because the town has been blessed and many merchants come here. It won’t be long until this town becomes a city, and I hope that you’re still here when that happens, Amadan.”

“I will,” he bumped his fist against her. “I promise that.”

8