Chapter 262: No Home To Return 1
360 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Amadan climbed an entire hill. Then he saw an entire city with barbican walls and watchtowers arms with ballistas. The walls were gray and a flag fluttered proudly on the front of the gates. From where he standing he could see the castle, and above the majestic jagged castle. Were the Wyvern Riders of this city.

The Wyverns Riders surrounded the sky in constant alert. Far from where he was standing was a strange circular dome that releases a pulse that constantly returns once it hits something living. He was awed by the wide road and the line of people that came from carved roads. Where did all these people come from?

They had crested the hill and he only saw them after climbing here. They made their way down the road. Amadan noticed the peddlers carrying wooden boxes on their backs and a strange melody. He followed Aria like her guard and although she wore a veil and a shawl. Her beautiful hair and white lance were the targets of attention. He towered over her and his build made it look like he was her guard.

Upon arriving in the massive gate. Amadan stood shoulder to shoulder with Aria. She did not respond to him. They had not spoken to each other since the dreams started. They stood quietly and followed the line. Reaching the gate’s frame, Amadan looked up and stared face to face with a being that had a dragon’s head. It had red scales, and it wore plate armor and carried a poleaxe.

“Greetings, scaleless,” the dragon head person said.

Amadan nodded, and the dragon-person turned his gauntleted palm.

Aria moved a step closer and handed the dragon-person four silver coins. The dragon-person nodded and palmed its gauntleted fist.

“Greetings, Song-Lady, you are here to sing?”

“I walk the land to Travel, Dragon-Kin, do we have passage now?”

The Dragon-Kin taps the butt of his poleaxe on the floor.

“You can, may the tree-father shade you, and the water fairies smoothen your voice.”

“May you stand strong,” said Aria.

Amadan cupped his fist. He followed Aria and they shouldered their way through big crowds. Arriving in front of a giant inn, Amadan noticed the equipment of the adventurers around. Looking down on his own, he realized how rather unprepared he was in this journey.

He had no money other than the salary Aria gave him. He relies on her and he had no idea what kind of world was this. Entering the Inn, he noticed the fine tables and intricately made carvings on the wall. The innkeeper was a stout man whose busy serving roasted beef meat. Some of the adventurers moved their eyes on Aria and turned it away when they noticed Amadan standing by her side.

“Greetings, Milady,” the innkeeper said. “I take that you recently come to Ab-Vol? The journey must have been tiring, and I have the finest room.”

“I will take it,” Aria said softly.

“Very well,” he rubbed his palms. “And the gentleman?”

She turned to her eyes to him.

“A room next to mine, if it's possible.”

“That can be arranged,” the innkeeper said. “Follow me, please. Girl! Come and work the counter, I have guests to take to!”

Aria followed the innkeeper with Amadan in tow. The innkeeper was a talkative man. He was stout and he had knowledge and ideas on what is happening around the city. The innkeeper left after handing the keys to Aria and Amadan. Aria was about to enter her room. Amadan grabbed hold of her wrist and pulled her closer.

“Miss Aria, are you angry with me?”

“I am not.”

“Then please talk to me. Silence does nothing for me. If there is a problem then we need to talk. I don’t want to misunderstand anything. We are not children that sulk silently in the corner.”

“You are calling me a child?”

“I do not mean it like that, Aria. I just want to talk this out. Silence does not solve anything other than our heads conjuring different thoughts. Will you talk to me? It bothers me that for the past few weeks, we have been not spoken a single word other than gestures and nods. If I am to continue working under you, then let us understand why we are acting like this.”

She turned her head away.

“Aria?”

“You bother me, Amadan. You bother me to my core.”

“Can you tell me why?”

She locked her gaze with him.

“Amadan, I can’t tell you. Not yet. Not until I sort all of the things inside my head.”

“Why not?”

He held her wrist tightly. She didn’t resist.

“Just let me think about it.”

“For how long?”

“Until I can make up my mind.”

“I’ve made up my mind. Please tell me.”

She pulled her wrist. It did not budge. She had pulled back with her strength.

“You aren’t willing to let go?

“Aria, we won’t understand each other if we don’t talk. An Uncle of mine was a stubborn man, but he always confronts me and talked to me instead of prolonging the talk. When he died without us talking it out, I realized that it's better to talk it out immediately instead of putting it off. I understand if you want me to back off. But until you tell it straight to my face. I won’t.”

She frowned wearily. She looked sideways and then stared back again.

“You are right. I’ve been avoiding you for the past weeks. I can see that. I know that you are right, but I don’t where to start or how I should explain it all. Amadan, I want you to back off and let my hand go. Let me collect my thoughts in silence, and five days from now, I will talk to you. Until then, please leave me alone.”

She pulled her arm forcibly. She went inside her room with a word. Amadan looked at the door quietly before shaking his head, clasping his wrist in the opposite hand, and walking down the stairs. Exiting the Inn, Amadan pocketed his hands and looked up.

“What the hell am I doing here? I don’t belong here.”

11