Chapter 319: Strangers 2
243 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’ve been here for so many times that this view does not go stale.”

“I agree with that,” he puffed a cloud of smoke.

“We got on the wrong foot. Dalia explained who you are. You are a bleak walker.”

“She told you? And here I thought she’d be silent about that part.”

“It was better to learn than to be ignorant. It is not her style to hold back. I couldn’t get it out of my mind how she protected you. In all of my years, she had never done anything like that.”

“I see.”

“She also said that I shouldn’t pay you too much respects. You look fine despite your age.”

“I was rather old before. My body became like this after events that I had no control.”

“So what type of blessings do you?”

Nolan simmered down. She continued talking without looking at him.

“All she knew was that how we are close of age despite my Alf lifespan. Lady Dalia did tell how you are some sort of hybrid of a human that consumed the life of a guardian and an old monster. She said that your power itself was something that did not warrant my concern. So, it would be of use to me to know what blessings do you have-”

Nolan said firmly. “That’s funny. I don’t remember any blessings. Just hardships and killings. I killed people. I killed more people and did things. In return, I got curses and the screams of those who I traveled with. You should know about it. I made you experience it.”

“Horrendous, it was. I didn’t think that it would be a curse. So it’s not a blessing that made you strong?”

“I was normal, Miss Ashia. I was a soldier who got himself into trouble. I became only like this because I stayed alive for too long. I got the Walker’s Syndrome, a curse that compels me to keep on living, doubling my already strong desire to live, trekking the lands, until my feet could no longer carry me. The curse is under control, but I don’t think that you could ever call my curses as blessings. I became strong because of events that I have no control over. I didn’t get all of this power simply. It was not handed to me. I died and killed to get what I have.”

“Then I was being rude.”

“No. You have no way of knowing this. Besides, what are you doing here, Miss? I believe that this is no coincidence that we meet here.”

“I did say that we got on the wrong foot. This land has been peaceful and my students and I worked hard for it. Many had shed their blood for this world that to let something like that go would be unreasonable for me. We had to change the workings of the world. Do you understand?”

Nolan craned his neck. “Do you expect me to say, Yes? You were reasonable, but no one would lay down their life suddenly for that.”

“I had no choice. If Lady Dalia didn’t explain, I would have chased you until the ends of this world. You can’t expect someone who fought in ridding of a dangerous power for years just stay still when she founds another power that may turn the world she had seen turn peaceful chaotic again.”

“I can see that happening. Not that I would ever just lay down and give up my life for your belief.”

“You are strong,” she nodded. “That I can tell by that power you were about to shatter me with me. Every inch of my body screamed.”

“I was going to knock you down with a rune spell. Dalia stopped me before I could have carved a giant hole on your chest. The thing is that I wasn’t hesitant. I should have killed you. You’d do the same if she didn’t’ stop us.”

“Yes. But that is a past that had happened.”

“A past where you stabbed me in the chest and tried to cut my soul. You do know what happens to a soul that has been cut up? You were threatening to kill me from existence itself. That is something that is not easily forgiven. I sit here with you because I wanted to know.”

“What I think?” She looked at him sharply. “I think that you are a dangerous being. This is a peaceful world and the likes of us are not welcome in such a world.”

“Is that so?” Nolan scoffed. “Then why are you here? Because you want to kill me? Do you want to rid of me? Is that why you are here, Miss Ashia?”

“No,” she said. “I was wrong in trying to kill you. I accept my mistakes, but it doesn’t mean that you are less dangerous. I came here in hopes to start a school. Lady Dalia invited me who had no place to go. What do I find here? A person who could possibly destroy continents by wielding his power. Do you expect someone who had protected the world to just let go of this?”

Nolan flicked the cigar off his fingers. He stabbed it with his finger and the cigar was gone. She continued staring at her with her eyes reflecting the blue seas. The side of her face kissed by the sun. Nolan noticed the first stars appearing. He had a lot to say. But there was the fatigue of travel finally weighing on him. There were things he wanted to do. To cry. To scream. To just let his rage out. But he had been alternating between young and old that he started to question whether he was sane or not. Yet he held it in not because he had control. But because the young and old man inside of him was too tired. How he thinks and feels and behaves was something he had no control. Still, he could think of none at this moment. Her words drifted. The rage of the young and the calm of the old mixed. What was left was just a solid wall.

“I guess you are right. You didn’t have a choice in the matter.”

10