1. The Great Lake
94 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gargan’s new day began way before the sun rises, way before the first morning mist clears up, and right before the fishes could hide at the bottom of the lake. With a lazy stretch, a strange and almost erotic moan echoed above the lake’s calm surfaces.

 

“A night's rest definitely sleeps up any healing process….” Speaking to nobody in particular nobody, he let his wings stretch at their fullest, spanning an impressive 26 ft. long tip to tip. The pain has not completely gone away yet, but they have become much more bearable now. It is a trait of the aarakocra, as their regenerative power was honed and selected, nurtured by their culture of wars and fighting. It is still nothing compared to a troll, but torn muscles and superficial wounds will heal themselves after a day or two.

 

With reinvigorated wings, he launches himself up, and dances above the lake surface. He was too hungry to care, and was too captivated by the floating cluster of islands yesterday to notice, but the lake is large.

 

As a falcon aarakocra, Gargan is the son of the fastest group of races, capable of reaching up to 200 mph, sometime even more, and he estimate that crossing the entire lake will take him 30 minute at his fastest….That mean, the lake is roughly 100 mi across at it widest. It does appear to be narrower, however.

 

Marveling at the size of such a lake existed, he carefully observed the surroundings. It was dark and misty, but when the first light arrived, he pretty much got a gasp at his surroundings. Gargan swiftly caught a couple more fishes, most of which weren't half the size of the one he caught yesterday, but it was more than enough for him. He simply roasted two of them over the open fire, using the stone pit one last time, and devoured them within blink of an eye.

 

The fishes here are delicious….with just a little bit of salt, but it was more than enough for the hungry aarakocra. And there are so many more to be caught too! He will definitely came back here with some seasonings,

 

Using his hydromancy, as he has noticed his connection with the ether is still there, and draws out the moisture, dehydrating the rest. “Rations, the lifeline of an explorer.” He preaches to himself. Never again did he vowed to be caught unprepared! Starving one was bad enough, so adding a whole new world to the equation doesn’t seem to be a good idea.

 

With the sun one hour up from the horizon, he took flight once again, this time higher up, sufficient enough for him to completely see the lake in it fully. In the center of his notebook, he scribbled and began to draw a map of the lake, as well as its surrounding forest and woodlands.

 

With the lake at its center, which he temporarily named Great Lake due to its great size, a dense forest laid to its west, and wrapped down to its south and stretched into the southeast. He noted that his landing site is east of the lake, around the area that he called Western’s Woods for now. ‘Maybe a better name is needed...West Landing perhaps?’

 

To the east of the lake lay a coiling river, which ran through the sparser woodlands to the lake’s southeastern direction. The river also splitted up, and created a much smaller lake to the Great Lake east. He still hasn't decided a name for it, as he does not want the directory filled with Eastern, Western, or any other cardinal directions.

 

Lastly, he noted down the Floating Islands distance from the lake before he departed toward it. The map took him a little over an hour to complete, and he was damn satisfied with his work. 

 

After all, this is an undiscovered land! Well, to the people of his world at least….Still, he didn’t let it discourage him.

 

Packing up, he flew toward the invitation of the promised magical lands. But before he says goodbye to this place, he spends at least one two day hours around the crash site looking for his pendant one more, hoping that may just have missed it yesterday. He did not, and the result is the same.

 

“Maybe it's somewhere over there?” He asked, as his eyes unconsciously drawn over to the levitating land masses. “It must be,” He convinced himself, as he knew that if he did not, who knows how long it would take him there, to the invitation of such promising and undiscovered lands.

 

Map of The Great Lake

Here is a bits of world building for today! That lake right there is about the size of Lake Superior in U.S....I didn't noticed the coincident when I first wrote this part. The name was purely coincident, I swear! Right, does anyone know how to add image here???

With the size like that, maybe there is something down there. Is it Nessie's home? Sunken treasure ships? A whole village of freshwater mermaid? Find out next time on Dra-

7