8. First Subjugation Quest
50 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Happily nibbling on one of his gifted dried snacks, Gargan quietly followed the wolf’s pack from above, as he watched them hurriedly rush out of the den, a small and well-hiding cave, and toward the trap. ‘Nice, they have caught the smell of their packmate. Let's hope the trap works,’ he thought.

 

It….didn’t work as he hoped for, as the leading wolf, this one was even larger than the abnormally large wolf he was tracking, stopping the pack just before Gargan’s well made pitch holes. “Great! Wonderful” Gargan threw his hand up, and celebrated sarcastically. However, the moment of uncertainty and careful skirting around the holes gave him more than enough time for a few diving attacks.

 

Similar to what he did earlier, Gargan took aim and went for the pack’s leader, and successfully pierced the beast through its body, and embedded his blade half a dozen inches into the ground, pinning down the wolf. The other two, seeing their leader being suddenly attacked, scattered and one pounded at the attacker.

 

Garage realized the attack, and discarded his blade, and dodged upward. With the largest threat pinned and fatally injured, judging by the meter long blade that kebabbed the thing through it heart and lungs, Gargan dove for the nearest one, and pierces it shoulder blades with on of his foot, and the other grasped the thing around it backs and bellies. He dug his talon deep into it, and took flight, hundreds of feet above, and began to rip off the beast's arms, and tore into it bellied, exposing its guts and organ, dangling and falling down below.

 

For safe measure, he took one of his knives and bleed out the creature from its arteries on its neck, and dropped it, as he began to look for the last one, which has used the moment that he was occupied to run away. From up above, however, Gargan got an unobstructed view, as he had chosen an open field just near a lake as the battleground, and located the runaway beast immediately. The chase didn’t last, and he made quick work of it, ending the beast the same way as he did the previous one.

 

Stacking the spoil again a large rock by the lake, he took extra caution to clean off any blood and dirt off of him, as well as his blades, and too cleaned of the corpses, as he made a request for a wagon to transport them back to the guild’s warehouse through his butterfly companion. After that, he began to refill the holes, all while grumbling to himself about how bad and obvious it was. “If only I had a little more time….” He mumbled.

 

The transport only arrived two hour later, due to how unfriendly the terrain was for wheeled vehicles. A guild associate, an orc and three adventurers that served as escort and labor hands, as well as Gargan began to load the newly claimed beast back to Aerelieth guild house for study. The way back was quite peaceful, as larger animals tend to avoid such large traveling groups, and Gargan took the nice opportunity to rest, letting the escorts do the boring task of guarding, and the associate the honor of steering the wagon and horses.

 

The journey was awkward, as no one spoke to one another. Gargan was too exhausted and tired, the escorts were a little intimidated, and the guild associate was too focused on his task, and it only ended 3 hours later, when they passed the city’s wall. As it was a simple and unofficial quest, they were paid by the associate and left, and only he and Gargan remained, as they entered the Guild’s office.

 

The city, as well as the Guild’s office, were very different from Sky Harbor, as they carried a more exotic and stylized architectural school. It was more artistic, more flowing and smooth, when compared to the more stoic and rigid structures of Sky Harbor. Gargan would later learn that these are a school of elven arts, heavily influenced by the governing Count Household, the Elven House of Aereith, who sponsored quite a number of public projects, and is quite loved by the people.

 

Especially the heir, who Gargan overheard from the receptionist, a lady in her thirties, when he went over to turn in his report. It seems like he was just registered as an adventurer with his maid, and was set off for the Lower World, as well as making contact with the native of this world too. As an explorer, Gargan was impressed by the young heir’s accomplishment. Making contact with a new culture and people isn’t always an easy task, lest establishing friendly connections.

 

That, and through the gushing and praises, he also learned that he is one of the most wanted bachelors here, not because of his status nor wealth, but because of his righteous personality, his charming character, and his adorable figure, whatever that means. Gargan alway thought that humans and elves preferred their males to be big and manly, but it seems like he was wrong….

 

But, that wasn’t the only thing he learned from the talkative receptionist, as she also offhandedly complained about an influx of guests from the House of Grogar, all of which concerned about an expedition to the Great Lake, all in the name of the Queen. Gargan knows that there is more to this….This isn’t the first time he saw this kind of conduct, especially when new, ‘unclaimed’ lands were discovered. And, he too, was caught in the crossfire and power struggle more than a few times already.

 

In a way, he has caused more than a few wars, nations against nations across the oceans…. This one, a cross dimensional one? This is his first….

 

Praying to Zephyr that this won’t come down to that, he silently left for a nearby inn, according to the receptionist's recommendations, a place called Firestones. It wasn’t large, but it was nice and homely.

 

“Ah, welcome!” A booming voice was heard, as he opened the double doors. “Welcome to Firestones! What can I getcha?”

 

“Uh….” Gargan was caught off guard, as he frooze, and looked for the source of voice. “H-Hello?”

 

“Hello there!” The voice answered, as a large and burly human man, with the size that could rival Harold the Bear Beastsman, emerges from the back, his apron dirtied by whatever he was cooking. “I’m Igor, owner of this humble but wonderful establishment. What can I help cha with?”

 

“Ah, I’m Gargan, an Otherwolder and Adventurer.” He introduced himself with a polite bow, “Can I get a room for a night, and dinner?”

“You got it!” Igor laughed, and reached for a key behind the counter. “I’m sorry….We are short on staff right now due to Worldshift, here is your key, fourth room to the right, second floor. Dinner will be ready by 7….” He said, as he looked through the record book.

 

“How, um….How much will that be?” Gargan asked, as he took the key and fished out 4 silver pieces.

 

“That will be….” The trailed off, as he counted on his finger. “Sorry, my wife usually manners the reception, sometimes one of our staff. I’m not very familiar with the price myself. Dinner will be roughly 3 silvers, or used to. But with the Worldshift and everything that happen, the price was adjusted, and still haven really know what my wife set it as….”

 

Gargan shows an understanding nod, as he takes a seat by the counter. “That was understandable, I suppose….Everything is heretic these days. I could wait here for your wife to be back then, if you don’t mind.” He offered a solution.

 

“Nay, take the key. I can’t let a guest sit here. We could deal with this when my wife is back later. Today’s dinner will be in the house because of this inconvenience, sir!” Igor counter offered, and Gargan accepted it with a happy nod and went to his room to store his luggage before returning to the counter, where the bear-like man was standing idly.

 

“I, um….I supposed the kitchen doesn't need your help?” Gargan asked reluctantly, as he sat by the owner.

 

“Nay, I was just cooking some broth for later, so I got a few hours to watch the reception.” He smiled, “But, having another hand to help manning the counter would be a great help. Really, Fainne should really look for someone….I suppose that's where she went, however.”

 

“Fainne's the lucky lady, I suppose?” Gargan asked, and Igor's hearty laugh confirmed it. “Did she go look for some help?”

“Suppose so. Last I heard, there were some kids looking for a job, and a room to stay at in the slu- I mean the developing district.” He caught himself, and turned to Gargan. “Anyway, can I get you something? Ale, perhaps?”

 

“A cold one would be great….” Gargan suppose that what the people here call the slump is….Not much different than his old world. “Is it safe that she went there?”

 

“Aye, she’ll be fine. She got a staff with her. He is a retired mercenary, so no problem will come their way.” Igor handed Gargan a cup of pinkish, green liquids, smelled of fruit and alcohol. “ Dali-A Ale, brewed inhouse. One of our specialties.” He flashed Gargan a confident smile, edging the birdman to take a slip.

 

Gargan complied, and was pleasantly surprised by the smooth and fruity taste. “This is good, Igor!” He uncharacteristically exclaimed, “My praise to the brewer!”

 

“That would be me!” He laughed. “You are an adventurer, correct?” Gargan nodded. “Then, did you hear about Duke Grogar?”

 

“The Expedition? I have. The reward seemed good. Very good.” He answered, “10 Golds for every complete quest, maybe more. Who is he anyway? I'm not from around here.”

 

“Ah, I forgot. You’re an Otherworlder. Well,” Igor paused for a minute, looking around for the right words. “He is a controversial figure…. I’m not very well versed in politics, so I can’t give you my impression. The missus always tells me not to bore our guests with those.”

 

“Ah….I see.” Gargan was disappointed, as he was hoping to learn something from Igor, but was too polite to edge him on. “Anyway, I am new here, so do you have any places you recommend? The city seems so lovely.”

 

“Places eh?” Igor put a hand under his chin, and stroked his beard, thinking for a moment. “I suppose the Central Square would be one. That place is always full of people and wares. Or the Red Light to the west….Don’t tell the missus that. There is also a famous alehouse tavern down the road too. I believe it is called Golden Wings.”

 

The Square sounded inviting, but as it was already late in the day, Gargan assumed that it wouldn’t be fitting to visit it. As for the Red Light district, Gargan preferred to stay as far away from it as he could. That left the tavern, which isn’t a bad thing, as he has been dying for some drinks for a while now. Maybe he could learn something about the aggressive Duke too, now that he thinks about it.

 

Bidding goodbye to the owner, Gargan left him 50 silvers as payment for the room, and tell him that he will return to pay the rest for his stay after he gets back, and headed toward the tavern, his mind filled with all kinds of otherworldly ales.

5