Chapter 14: A Touch of Reality
161 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucious's vacant eye stare disturbed Arthur, but he pushed it down as Robert produced a staff. "This is yours." I took the staff but also felt a small key fill my hand as well. I looked at the Ranger, but he ignored me as he walked towards the Port Key that would Teleport those that finished the Dungeon to the entrance.

Aaron was already gone with Jarome, Robert ushered his sister towards the small stone column, and both disappeared in a flash of light. I turned my focus back on the staff, runes were carved and filled with what looked like silver and the staff was capped by a black stone that seemed to absorb the ambient light in the chamber. I concentrated and pulled up the staff's stats.

Spoiler

Weapon Name: Gloom, Hand of the Dark
Weapon Type: 2-Handed Staff; Black Oak, Iron, Silver Inlay, Black Diamond, Staff
Weapon Class: Ultra-Rare
Equipment Slot: Main Hand/Off Hand
Base Damage: 20 - 30 (Blunt)
Primary Effect...
--- +15 Intelligence
--- +10 Spirit
--- +10 Constitution
--- +5% Critical Hit Chance
Secondary Effects...
--- Decrease the Cost of Plague and Shadow-based Spells by 5%
--- Class Restricted: Necromancer

[collapse]

It wasn't bad at all, coupled with the decrease of spell costs, and between my dagger and the staff, I would use the staff more often. I turned my focus to the double doors, they were sealed and according to the mercenaries, had never been opened. I walked over to them and inserted the key into the lock, dust rained down around me as the doors swung open. 

Like before, there was just a small storage room, unlike last time there were no game-changing items. At least I didn't think they were game-breaking. There was a sole ring I couldn't bring up any information other than [Ancient Ring] and a vial that looked like it was filled with blood of all things. When I tried to bring up the vial's information [Essence of the Dark Heart] popped up with a quest.

Spoiler
<<<System Alert>>>
Quest Name: Echo of the Past
Description: You have discovered an ancient vial hidden during the war between the Light and Darkness in ancient times. You have no idea what the vial can do, but it was kept hidden and safe for a reason. You have several options, you can consume it, leave it, or destroy it the choice is yours. 
Quest Class: Unique; Personal
Quest Difficulty: Easy

Success: Varies

Failure: N/A

Rewards: Unknown

Note* This Quest is mandatory and cannot be declined or dropped as long as you have the Essense of the Dark Heart vial.

<<<System Alert>>>
[collapse]

It was an odd Quest and while I wanted to drink the vial until I figured out what it did, I was going to keep it hidden since I was keeping enough odd items to kill for as is. I looked around and walked over to one of the many remains in the chamber tore off part of a linen shirt and wrapped it around the vial to pad it before stuffing it into my pants. While it looked a little odd, I wasn't going to take a chance when I had everything else in my Inventory.

I pulled up my Menu and sent a message to Robert before opening a Portal Scroll, this one dumped me back in one of the squares strewn around Vindomora. I looked around and then started walking while keeping an eye out for anyone following me.

Spoiler
<<<System Notification>>>
Notice: You have been logged into Endless Online for... (5) real-world hours. You will automatically be logged out in 30 Seconds. Due to the prolonged play, you cannot log back into Endless Online for (30) real-world minutes. Have a pleasant day.
<<<System Notification>>>
[collapse]

A red timer appeared on my HUD and started counting down, I could see the waiting notifications from the Dungeon run but they could wait until I got back. I quickly sent another message to Rob updating him on my status and sent it as the world around me dissolved as I was kicked out of the game.

I pulled the headset off and rolled to my feet as Cleo called out over the apartment's speakers, "Welcome back Derrick, your aunt June called to request a meeting at your earliest convenience." Cleo reported as I stretched my muscles, while the chair helped keep any sores from developing and sent mild electrical shocks to stimulate my muscles, it wasn't the same as a workout. "Your cousin Ruby called and left a message, do you wish to hear it?" Cleo asked.

I smirked as I shook my head, "No Cleo, she is still on my blacklist, delete it please." I told the V.I. as I headed for the bathroom. "Put me through with June," I told her and I could hear faint ringing over the speakers before my aunt's voice came over the line.

"Hey Derrick, do you got a minute to meet up. Say at Genero's in half an hour?" I started the shower as I considered it, why not.

"Sure June, I can be there in thirty minutes. This work or family business?" I asked her, hoping for the first and dreading the second.

"Both Arthur, sorry can't be helped," June responded and I trumped down the flash of anger, nothing I could do about it at the moment except face it head-on.

"Ok June, thank you for being honest with me. See you in a bit." I told her as the line was cut and I jumped into the shower. A little over thirty minutes later he walked into Genero's, it was a small mom-and-pop coffee shop that had some of the best donuts in the city as far as I was concerned. I spotty Johnny near the back, he was June's driver and security guard, former military but I wasn't sure which branch he served with. More importantly, he was loyal and had a large family, so he was more than happy to accept the Henrick family paycheck to drive and take care of June while she was up and about.

"Good, if you were going to be any later, I would have had a second donut," June called from one of the tables, I smirked as I studied my aunt. While she was in her late thirties now, she could easily pass for someone in her late twenties. She was slightly shorter than me, and despite the suit, she was wearing, you could tell she was big-breasted and a nice round but firm ass.

I chuckled and eyed her form causing her to blush slightly, "It wouldn't hurt you Aunt June, and I am sure you could work it off at the gym or some young buck you have working for you at the firm." I told her earning a chuckle as she shook her head.

"Still flirting with old ladies, I see?" June responded as she pulled me in for a hug.

"Can you blame me, if my uncle is ever dumb enough to dump you, I will gladly marry you June. Just say the word!" I told her, my uncle Jack was the Henrick in their pairing and while June didn't come from any family of note, she took to the family name like a duck to water. Not to mention she was a cutthroat lawyer and a partner at Henrick, Odell, McCormick, and Associates.

Jack spent most of his time abroad with one woman or man, but as one of the many leaders of Infinity Options, he oversaw many of the Henrick family businesses. June gave me a tight smile as she stepped back, "You know your uncle would never let me divorce him and while I appreciate your offer, your grandfather would probably frown upon it." June replied as she gestured for me to sit down. "Now I have someone from the firm that will be representing you, it will go through a state mediator first before going to court. Hopefully, the mediator is impartial but if Mr. Jenkins or you get any sense of anything funny, finish the meeting and go to court. I already interviewed your old friend, he confirmed he signed the complaint willingly so you can sue him for slander since he knowingly and willing lied while filling out the form. I tracked down four others that your former boss fired under similar pretexts, they have all done interviews and will be joining your suit against Stafford's and Sons. At the moment, until we get their records we don't know if this is isolated to your boss or if the owners were aware of what is going on. If they are aware of it, criminal charges of fraud can also be brought against them." June quickly informed me.

While I didn't want to sue the company if they were compliant that made them part of the problem and they had made a lot of money off my work and the work the others had done. "Ok, I trust you June to do this. I will follow your advice." I told her as a donut and hot chocolate arrived for me. I thanked Geno but the man waved it off as he headed back to work as more people filed into the coffee shop. "So, did Ruby know?" I asked her and June shook her head.

"She claimed she did not know what Nick was up to, and I believe her. So, give her some slack for being duped just like you." June replied as she opened up her purse and dug through it. I froze as I spotted something I hadn't seen since my college days and while I wanted to chuckle, I held it in as I ignored the card. "Your Aunt Candice wants a meeting with you, it's business-related, not personal, and it deals with the work Ruby was doing for her." I frowned at that.

Candice and I did not get along, she was part of the group that had wanted me dragged back into the fold and didn't like it that I was trying to make my way into the world without the support of the Henrick family. She was also married to James, another uncle that traveled frequently with Jack, so it made her even more of a bitch to any male out there. "What does she want? Where does she want to meet and when?" I asked June as I sipped at my drink took a big bite and just sat back as I chewed.

June chuckled at whatever she saw on my face, "Something to do with that new game you and your cousin are playing, Candice is thinking about investing in it if it is more than just a gimmick. As far as where and when, tomorrow at noon at the Admirals Club downtown." I frowned and took another bite to eat letting the nirvana take me away for a moment so I could think before responding.

"Fine, I will meet with her, but I am not buying a suite just to go for lunch. I have a few jackets and I will wear one of them to the club. If she turns the meeting into a pitch to bring me back into the fold, I will walk out. Ok?" I asked her as I took the last bite of my donut.

June held up her hands, a placating gesture "I know where you stand Derrick and I respect it. Just don't be surprised if she doesn't use to angle you into something. Whatever happens, the family and your grandfather will back your decision, you know that." June replied and I gave her a grudging nod.

"Thank you, June. I know you all would prefer if I went to work at Infinity or one of the companies owned by the family, but I need time to work everything out." I told her as I stood up and grabbed my cup to go. "Thank you for helping me with the work thing, give Mr. Jenkins my number to call when he has the meeting date and time," I told her as she stood and hugged me.

I smiled and pulled her in closer, feeling her breast sandwich against my chest, and palmed her ass earning a gasp from her that turned into a moan before she pushed me back. "You are a bad boy!" she shook her finger at me but couldn't fight the smile on her face as she blushed slightly.

I wore a smug grin, "What can I say June, I am a complete sinner!" I told her making her frown as she glanced down at her purse, before she could do or say anything I held up my hand. "Ask Mistress Candy about Master Payne. I worked there when I was in college to pay for my expenses." I told her and she blushed as she stared at me in a new light, but I could also see confusion.

"What about your trust?" June asked and I gave her a sad smile.

"I used that to pay for all school-related expenses, rent, food, and everything else came out of my pocket. I was not and still not comfortable with all that money my parents left me in the trust, not to mention everything the family paid into it after they died." I told her as I moved towards her and gave her a chaste kiss on the cheek. "If you want to see Master Payne, let me know," I told her before turning and leaving.

7