Chapter 16: First Salvo
157 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt the bench shift slightly, "Well?" I asked as continued to eat.

Rob chuckled at my response, but he answered my unasked question, "Aaron has been kicked from the Clan and is out of the company. Jarome apologized for his actions and is cleaning house to sniff out any other so-called 'Zealots' within the Ebon Blade." Rob relayed what he had learned from the Druid.

They had managed to find a small village in the foothills aptly named Woodpine, the people here cut and treated wood before shipping it out to Vindomora. While the owner of the Pig's Trough had complained about the late hour when we had arrived, he was more than welcoming in taking in four paying customers. "Well, we can hope him getting cut off from the Clan and company will give us some breathing room, it's only a matter of time until he comes at us again. I looked at the Forums, but there is nothing there yet." I told the Ranger.

Rob frowned as his plate arrived and he began to eat his breakfast, "You think this is going to create a splash." Rob asked.

I looked up from the plate, making sure he was looking me in the eye when I nodded. "We are getting ready for a war, when we are done with this little task, they will know it for certain. So, you better be ready to run and sure of your choice cause once we get this ball rolling, there is no going back for any of us." I warned him.

Rob sat back and absorbed the words, both the meaning and the unspoken subtext. "Light vs. Dark, round two?" he asked, and I chuckled.

I left the question unanswered and looked at the real-world time, it was getting into the early evening. "Ok, I got the rest of today for any questing, I got an appointment back on our world I have to keep so I will be in and out the next two days here," I warned Rob who nodded his head in understanding.

"I think we should do some training, this world allows us to increase our Attributes through training and battle, not just with Attribute Points. Why don't we take advantage of it?" Rob asked.

I considered his recommendation, depending on what the local clergy knew, they could figure out what I was up to. Time was of the essence, and I had already burned a day doing the Dungeon..."We can't wait, while I agree with your point, we just don't have the time at the moment to waste on training. Once we get this done, it will buy us some time but right now the quest is the priority." I told the Ranger who nodded his head.

I looked over to see Penny and Ruby walking down the stairs, "What's with you two, there is some tension between you and your cousin." Rob pointed out.

I grimaced as I looked back at my plate, "My coworker that stabbed me in the back and helped get me fired, it was her boyfriend." I told Rob hearing the other man curse. "Know what is fucked up, I introduced them," I added causing Rob to bark out a laugh as he shook his head.

"That's fucked up, how is she doing?" Rob asked.

I shook my shoulders, "Feeling guilty and while a part of me is angry at her, I also know she got fucked over by him as well." I told Rob as they joined us.

"What are you two talking about?" Penny asked as she sat down.

"History," I told her and caught Ruby frowning, but I ignored it. "Ok, we are going to grind out some quests and scout out the surrounding area to see what we can find. We won't make any moves until we scout out the whole situation. Agreed?" I asked the others.

"You still going to meet Aunt Candice?" I glared at Ruby, but she just stared right back at me.

"Yes, I plan on seeing Aunt Candice today, that has not changed. Now can we get back to things here?" Ruby smirked and started eating her food as Penny giggled making both Rob and I roll our eyes at their antics.

Women!


I watched the city skyline fly past as the taxi drove towards downtown, the Admirals Club was located near the city center and was where the most powerful and influential had their whims catered to. At any one time, some of the most powerful men and women from both the city, state, and the country would be there making backroom deals and it was closely associated with the Henrick family that assured people's anonymity and privacy.

I had been there a couple of times growing up but had avoided it since I had moved out and started college at seventeen. I did not want to go back because I was sure I would see at least one or more of my extended family or our close associates. It was also one of the main reasons why Candice was dragging me to the restaurant, to show off that I was still alive and kicking much to the wishes of some of the family.

"Are you sure you want to go there Mr. Sumner?" the driver asked as he slowed to a stop and eyed my clothing.

Considering where we were, I was underdressed considering most of the men were wearing designer suits each costing thousands of dollars while my clothing came out to maybe two hundred total. "If I had a choice in the matter, I wouldn't want to be here, but family is important, or so I am told," I replied to the man as I paid the fee with a generous tip for getting me here on time.

Knowing Candice though, she would probably be fashionably late since she embodied everything wrong with being a Henrick. Like June, she had married into the family but did nothing to elevate the family other than her social skills. I did have to give her credit for that at least, she knew how to work a room and ferret out secrets from people. It was one of the reasons why my grandfather had not insisted James divorce the bitch.

I watched as the taxi drove away and turned to look at the imposing building, the Admirals Club was located on the top floor above the many offices of various firms that rented here. At this moment I wish I was back in EO, getting blown up or being torn apart by animals, anything but going in there. "Mr. Henrick?" I looked over to see a burly man studying me.

"It's Sumner currently," I told him and I offered my hand to shake, the man eyeballed it before smiling and taking it.

"Your Aunt said you were different. I am Bill, if you follow me, I will escort you up." I groaned as I followed the other man.

The security of the lobby eyeballed me, but then ignored me. It gave me a slight hope that this would remain lowkey but knowing my aunt I had a better chance at winning the Powerball in all fifty states at the same time. "So, what is my dear aunt up to Bill?" I asked, hoping he could give me a hint.

Bill chuckled, "Don't worry she got one of the private rooms, from what she told me about you, you don't like the big fanfare. Considering what I have seen her do and how she likes to work, she is keeping herself in check." the man reported, and I frowned.

He was right, if Candice was doing all this, she was trying to butter me up for something. The question was what...Yeah, she probably wanted my assessment of Endless Online, but that wouldn't require any buttering me up. Just an email or phone call. I paled as a thought crossed my mind, she might want to push me towards completing everything in-game or something to do with the family. Since I was undecided about the game side of things, I would have to stall her.

I gritted my teeth in frustration and did my best to let it go, I would soon find out what her angle was. Bill led me to one of the elevators and punched the button for the top floor. The doors slid closed and with a slight acceleration, we were off. While I didn't want to be here, I did enjoy the view of the city on the way up.

Thankfully Bill remained quiet so I could enjoy the view and gather my thoughts as I prepared to face my aunt. Like June, Candice was beautiful, but it hid a cruel cunning that she utilized to protect and promote the Henrick family. I honestly thought she would make an excellent politician, but it was one of the few fields in which the Henricks never got involved. Sure, we might manipulate governments, but we never joined them.

The elevator 'dinged' as we arrived on the top floor and Bill ushered me out of the elevator and into the front room of the Admirals Club. There was a small bar and sitting area for those waiting for other guests, it was currently occupied by one tv reporter that I recognized from the nightly news, sitting with the city's mayor. The reporter studied me, her interest apparent as she whispered to her companion.

The mayor looked over and studied me, thankfully he didn't recognize me, but he did know Bill. That immediately dissuaded his interest, while he might be a big fish in this pond, compared to the power my family wielded he was chum. "Ahh, Mr. Sumner. Mrs. Henrick advised us that you would be arriving shortly, if you follow me, I will show you to the room. Mrs. Henrick has a private room for your lunch." the Matre'd called out as he spotted Bill.

When he looked at me, the man jolted slightly as he caught sight of my eyes. Like all the men in the Henrick family, I had the signature blue eyes with gold flecks, it made a unique appearance that few could match. Yet like all professionals, he quickly tucked that little tidbit away and ushered me through the doors that were flanked by obvious security.

Like the Matre'd, they acknowledged my presence with respectful nods but said nothing as the doors closed behind us. The main floor had about fifty tables and booths, almost all of them were occupied, but the private rooms abutted the windows that looked out over the city. I was led to one of the rooms, like the doors leading into the Admirals Club, each door was flanked by security to ensure the privacy of the occupants and to deter any snooping from anybody. Bill took up station nearby while the Matre'd announced me before leaving me alone with Candice.

I hadn't seen her since my fourth year in college, she was still just as beautiful as ever. Pitch black hair, electric blue eyes, a figure that defied logic and confounded minds, a person that just oozed sex appeal like June oozed power and authority. I heard the door click closed behind me as she walked over to me and grabbed the back of my head and pulled me down for a kiss. Her tongue invaded my mouth, and I was lost to the pleasure of it as I grabbed her ass while tweaking one of her nipples earning a moan.

Damnit, it had been too long. I grabbed hold of my hormones and her throat as I pushed her back and slammed her into the glass window. "Enough Candice, I am not one of your playthings. I am sure you can walk out there and crook your finger and get any man or woman you want so don't fuck with me." I told her as I squeezed her throat, not enough to bruise but firm enough to let her know I was in control.

A small smile graced her lips, "My apologies Master Payne, June indicated you might be back." she replied.

I squeezed her throat causing her to gasp slightly as her eyes dilated, but then I released her and stepped back. "I have not been to Saints and Sinners since my fourth year at college. I made the offer to June because Jack is gone all the time and I can be discreet." I told her as I thought back to my years working at the bar and sex club. "As far as you and me, you always knew how to piss me off and get under my skin. That won't work if I don't play the game and yes, I know you and James have an open relationship, but I care about those I play with. I invest my emotions into them, and you just care about getting off. So why don't we concentrate on why I am here Aunt Candice so I can get out of your hair, and you can go back to manipulating everyone." I told her as I moved to the small table and sat down.

A look crossed her face, something I didn't catch before she schooled her features, "Very well Arthur, business it will be." she moved over to the seat opposite of me as I opened up the menu.

6