Chapter 2
61 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Grandma, I’m here.” I say, pushing open the door.  

“Ah, Sheng-er you’re back!” Grinning from ear to ear, she turns her sweetly smiling face around, shifting her attention from the window to me. 

“Come, come have some lychee?”

I reach out and grab one of the tiny fruits and take a bite. Sweet, so sweet. I almost choke on the sweetness. 

“Did you play with the other boys? How was it?”

“It was good. We saw the storyteller.”

“Ahhh, the dragon and it’s pearl.” Grandma says knowingly. “That story has been told in our little town for generations…” As she mutters, my mind wanders to another figure: a slender, upright, graceful looking one.

“Uh Grandma?” I interrupt.

“Yes?”

“Who is...Chen Mingzhu?”

“Oh, him? He runs the bookstore down on the other end.”

“Oh?” My ears perk up. “I saw him carrying an umbrella, does he always do that?”

“Ah, you saw it? Did the other boys tell you about it?”

“They just said that he walks down to the beach every day.” 

“Yes, that’s true.”

“Has he always been doing that?”

“Yes, well he’s been doing it since...hmm...well there was the hurricane and…”

I place the lychee down and rhythmically tap on the table top as I await her response. I gaze out the window, it’s still pretty dark. Is Chen Mingzhu still out there…?

“Hello!” I blink and turn to see one of the men of the village. I blink, trying to recall his identity. He’s...Ai Dong’s father, that’s right. 

“Ayah, what are you doing here so late!?” My grandmother cries, throwing up her hands in a flurry.

“Oh, I came to deliver some dishes, after all it’s the boy’s first New Year’s on the island, he ought to feel welcome!” He smiles towards me and I politely smile back. I haven’t been here long yet it’s clear that the people in this island village are extremely friendly, especially when compared to the colder city where everyone is on their own course minding their own business. Even my own parents…

“So, are you going to …University?” I blink, realizing that Ai Dong’s dad is addressing me. 

“Yes, I’ll be starting there in a couple months.”

“So until then you’re here boy?” He asks with a grin, ear to ear. “Getting into such a top university, maybe you can teach a thing or two to my Ai Dong, always playing basketball when his senior year is approaching!” I smile, then pause as the word basketball reminds me of my question.

“We saw Chen Mingzhu today.” I casually say.

“Oh him? Was he walking out to the beach?”

“Yes, he was walking really late.”

“Ah, I suppose it’s because of how busy he’s been lately. I think they’ve been shorthanded recently since An Luo quit. I heard he was looking for someone…” I blink, as he rambles on.

“He's hiring at his bookstore?”

“Huh? Oh, yes…”

And that’s how I find myself in front of the antique looking bookstore, in a collared shirt and slacks. That very evening, I emailed Chen Mingzhu, letting him know that I was free all summer and that I was interested in working as a part timer. His reply was polite, cordial, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet I found myself scanning, pondering over every word for the slightest glimpse of the man behind them. 

And now I’m here, reporting to work. I’m still a bit puzzled as to what possessed me to give up my free summer and start this. When I informed Ai Dong that I could no longer join him and the boys for their daily games, he nearly burst into tears on the spot. Then when I told him the reason, he looked at me as if I’d suddenly grown horns. 

“You’re working?? Over the summer holidays??? After you’ve just taken the gaokao for college????”

But neither his tears nor his astonishment could move my decision so here I am, reaching forward to open the door to the bookshop Suddenly it swings open itself and I freeze. There stands a man, quite tall (as tall as me and I'm still growing) at around 190 cm and slender and pale in a dark coat. Yet the most distinctive aspect about him is his almost perfect features, a sharp nose, full lips, and large peach blossom eyes, that carry a softness, yet firmness to them. I stand there, entranced, until the man clears his throat.

"Oh, sorry!" 

"You were the one who emailed me?" He asks, taking in my semi formal wear.

"Ah, yes."

"Alright, come on in then." He says, leading me in. "I'm Chen Mingzhu." I blink. Seeing his graceful frame I imagined that he'd be good looking but this is...I feel my throat dry and I avert my gaze, taking in the shelves filled with books. The musty smell of paper hits me and along with the soft lighting inside, it creates a distinct atmosphere, more peaceful and isolated than the bustling village. It's like the man himself, I think turning my eyes back to him, there's just something about their aura that seems a little distinct, a little isolated.

"For now, Li Sha will show you around." I blink, as I realize Chen Mingzhu is speaking to me. I turn to where he's pointing and see a fairly short girl with a bob of hair and large glasses. 

"I'll take care of him boss." She replies, her voice bright and businesslike. "You can head out."

"Alright then." Chen Mingzhu replies with a faint smile before turning back towards the door. I watch his back, somewhat at a loss. He's leaving already?

"Since An Luo quit it's just been us two so it's quite helpful to have someone else. I'm Li Sha by the way." I introduce myself and she takes me around the shelves, introducing each section. 

"...And this is where we have our fables." I blink, taking in the comparatively more tattered, ancient looking covers. A thought hits me and I contemplate for a moment before voicing it.

"By any chance do you have...the Dragon's Pearl?" She pauses and blinks.

"That one? Of course, it's right over here. It's basically the legend of our island, you probably won't find anyone who hasn't heard it."

She turns to move on but before I realize it, I hear myself speaking. "What do you think of it?"

"Of the story?" She turns to look at me. "It's a classic tale criticizing human greed. I mean, objectively a boy swallowing a pearl and turning into a dragon doesn't make sense, even for a fantasy story but since it's just about the morals-"

"But what if he was a dragon from the start?" She pauses, staring at me.

"Are you thinking of the same story as me? The boy turns into a dragon because of the pearl. Anyway, I'm supposed to be introducing you to the place, don't get distracted. Next is..."

As she leads me to another section, I spare a last fleeting glance towards the fables behind me. 

4