1.14 Rise of moral integrity, rehabilitate the slag Male Lead and strike the bell for the prelude of the last act!
1.1k 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At dawn, Rong XingLi woke up first. He faced the rough countenance of Ruo Chen, that looked much better than his haggard complexion the day before.

 

Like under a spell, he lazily wandered his eyes over the other’s face. Several thoughts grossed his mind.

 

That guy has uselessly long eyelashes and legs. 

 

Doesn’t he have problems to find space to stow them? 

 

His hair is completely black, yet he has turquoise eye color. Has he foreign blood?

 

The nose is also refined and straight.

 

And what’s up with those double moles on his neck, they are annoyingly not unattractive. 

 

In short, he admired and envied Ruo Chen’s model features. As a former director and actor, Rong XingLi couldn’t ignore the unique charm he emitted.

 

When his drowsiness faded, Rong XingLi rose and went back to his room.

 

It wasn’t like he planned to stay in this world after the completion of his mission. Therefore, he shouldn’t mingle to much with the original inhabitants or the one to suffer the most would be him instead. 

 

Rong XingLi quietly consulted Jing Yi, who already perceived the growing uneasiness of its host...

 

 

At this point, the plot already diverged completely from the original. The main leads never had a relationship and Ruo Chen was on the road to success.

 

That influenced the fates of many significantly. The Li business stagnated without the backing of the Ruo family, it was even on the decline.

 

Although Ruo Chen did as promised and didn’t seek revenge directly, the Li real estate trading lost several deals due to the lack of connections. Potential investors even took back their offer and many companies avoided their properties.

 

The conglomerate giant broke off their political marriage and showed the cold shoulder to their almost in-laws. Therefore, the smaller companies followed suit and alienated them.

 

The result was clear, without funds and buyers the Li r. Est. trading fell short in all aspects. Sooner or later would they be kicked out of competition.

 

“Of course Mr. Feng, our facilities are the best in the whole town. You won’t get this quality for any lower than this ba!” exclaimed Master Li exaggerated on phone.

 

The other side answered calmly, the more they said, the more the smile on Master Li vanished. They bid their goodbye and ended the call.

 

Sigh—

 

He threw his phone to the side and sacked onto the designer sofa.

 

“How did it go?” asked Madam Li anxiously.

 

“How did it went, you asked? It happened again! They will think about it, because they still have an offer from another competitor! They are stalling us with this indefinite answer, only to never call us ever again ah!”

 

Madam Li paled, is this their end? How could that be! They were just fine until not so long ago.

 

“Heavens! Were we cursed by the deities, are they laughing at us? Ancestors help us overcome this crisis. What are we going to do?! At this rate, all of our hard-earned fortune will vanish and we end up on the streets!” Madam Li became hysterical.

 

Master Li mentally rolled his eyes at his superstitious wife. It was unlikely to lose everything overnight. As long as they sold off unprofitable properties for a cheaper price and cut short on their expenses, a comeback was still possible. Only that it was a very roundabout way and they would momentarily lose a small fortune. Thus, he decided to use his last trump.

 

“Wife, you rest assured ba. I already have a plan to save us.”

 

He took hold of his phone and dialed a number.

Meanwhile, Ruo Heng didn’t fare any better. In the former timeline, he used Ruo Chen’s declining health to increase his power, slowly accumulating trading deals or taking over more work from Ruo Chen. 

 

The disparity between them grew and the elders reconsidered Ruo Chen’s to date solid position as the next head. One made continuously mistakes, while the other shone, the more the other failed. 

 

However, in this life, Ruo Chen didn’t fall from grace. He pretended to be a pig, to eat the tiger1pretending to be a pig to eat a tiger: play dumb. Silently setting traps and enlarging his net, to annihilate Ruo Heng. 

 

Crash!

 

An exquisite china vase shattered to pieces, the worth of it enough to make one faint. But the perpetrator for the destruction, Ruo Heng, didn’t care. He would have destroyed even ten of the kind to let out his anger.

 

“That motherless lowlife... how did he dare snatch away the contract, I worked my ass off for half a year!” Ruo Heng’s eyes were cold and emanated a certain craze. He sneered, then showed a smile that was not a smile.

 

“Well, well. If big brother wants to play, I will gladly accompany you. Just like the olden days, only that I won’t be your servant anymore. This time you will have a taste of defeat...”

 

Brrrr~~

 

His phone rang, it was an unknown number. Ruo Heng’s eyebrows furrowed, but he still took the call.

 

“Hello, who am I talking to?”

 

“Xiao Heng? It’s me, Uncle Li. I have something interesting to share with you.”

 

Ruo Heng’s interest was piqued, but he was still cautious of the other. He didn’t dare to lay out his thoughts openly and asked unhurriedly, “What important news has Uncle Li to tell me, to call me this early in the morning?”

 

Master Li got nervous and regretted to call so rashly. What if the other saw it as a disturbance? Thus, his confident tone changed slightly apologetic and submissive.

 

“Ah, I’m sure you will want to know. It involves your brother Chen and my dear Mengyao,” explained Master Li slowly.

 

Ruo Heng stifled for a short moment. Both names left a deep imprint on him. Li Mengyao was like a goddess, clean and beautiful. It was love at first sight, yet she was betrothed to Ruo Chen, who was the biggest thorn in his life.

 

“What about them?” asked he rather avid.

 

Master Li was pleased with his reaction. If he played his card right, then they wouldn’t need Ruo Chen anymore. 

 

“Xiao Heng, as a parent it’s not easy to intervene into the younger generation’s love affair. Therefore, I can only rely on you. Both my children and your brother Ruo Chen seem to have chosen the wrong partner. How much do I wish, we had bond the engagement between you and Mengyao ah. But what am I telling you, see for yourself. I’ll send you the reports. I sincerely hope old Master Ruo will overthink his decision of the next heir ba,” equivocated Master Li.

 

The corners of Ruo Heng’s mouth hooked into a smile as he received the report. “Seems like I have no other choice than to help Uncle Li out in this matter. I’ll remember this favor for the future,” answered Ruo Heng ambiguously.

 

The call ended in this manner. Both parties came to a mutual agreement. The Li’s provided useful information and in return would gain the Ruo family’s backing, should Ruo Heng overtake Ruo Chen’s position.

 

Ruo Heng’s mood was extraordinarily good, a broad grin pasted on his face. Finally, there was a weak point, he could explore.

 

Brother, brother, I wondered what you did in all secrecy. Turns out, that you gave up your former lifestyle for a man and Li Junyao on top of all!

 

His vigor rekindled and Ruo Heng began to form a plan.

 

***

 

By the time Ruo Chen opened his eyes, it was already past noon. He sat up and stretched himself. A lazy yawn blew away the lingering sleepiness.

 

His eyes, that still had a bit of sleepy dust at the inner corners left, wandered from the left to the right side.

 

Sigh~, what did I expect? Of course, he is not here anymore…” murmured he to himself.

 

He stood up and noticed a water bottle together with some medication and a note on his desk.

 

If you feel a headache, after you wake up, then take one pill with lots of water. Don’t forget to eat something ba! Your portion is left in the fridge.  —Li Junyao

 

Warmth filled his heart and his prior disappointment was replaced by serenity. He washed his face, changed his clothes and gobbled down the pill.

 

With replenished vigor, did Ruo Chen open the door, only to find an empty apartment. His Jun-er left the place, when he was still sleeping. Once again Ruo Chen was dejected.

 

The homesitter reheated the food and ate on the table, that felt too big for one person. The sudden urge to share such everyday moments with his Jun-er overcame him.

 

Did Jun-er always have to dine lonely without anyone to talk to? I should make more time to eat together with him...

 

Since his darling was out, he had nothing to do at home. He was back to health after a good day’s sleep, so he resumed his work and called his assistant.

 

“It’s me. Did everything work like planned in my absence?” Ruo Chen didn’t dawdle and got directly to the point.

 

“Yes, Young Master. We successfully secured the exclusive distribution rights for VX Cosmetics. With this Young Master’s position as the heir is more than stable. Madam Du won’t be able to shake the decision anymore. As for Ruo Heng, he must have received the news by now, but there was no further movement yet,” summarized his assistant respectfully.

 

“En,” Ruo Chen paused for a few seconds, “What is the result of the private matter, I told you to investigate?”

 

The assistant took a breath of cold air, before he answered with restrained emotions, “En, everything proved to be like Young Master guessed. The first Madam’s death was no accident.”

 

Ruo Chen gritted his teeth. “So it was the truth after all. Prepare the evidence. The world will know of the injustice my mother had to endure on the next grand family gathering.”

 

He bid his assistant goodbye and reclined himself on the sofa. With closed eyes did he digest the report he just received. He rather preferred his suspicion to be a mere coincidence, that he was paranoid after being schemed against in his first life, that this life was completely different. But it wasn’t, reality was cruel.

 

The stepmother, who pretended to be good and kind to him, turned out to be two-faced murder. She played the victim, but secretly drove his mother to insanity and later him onto the path of a good-for-nothing second generation. 

 

The ambitious younger brother, he never thought to be dangerous, turned out to be a vicious monster with no principles. Although he regarded Ruo Heng as his childhood friend and close confidant, the other side didn’t even hesitate to use drugs on his blood-related brother.

 

Like mother, like son. 

 

Ruo Chen wanted to mock his old self for being overly guileless. How could he be so trusting of them and let down the only people, who actually cared for him?

 

Du Hua and Ruo Heng, this mother-son-pair will pay for their sins!

 

The moment, Ruo Chen opened his eyes a cold light flashed through them. He stood up and left the apartment.

Somewhere else in the lecture hall sat a youth, staring intensively at the powerpoint presentation. He seemed to be fully immersed into the lecture, but in actual drifted off the very second his ass touched the chair.

 

It was Rong XingLi, who couldn’t care less for another world’s law system. He had another grave dilemma to solve. It happened just this morning, that Jing Yi dropped the bomb.

 

“Ding— Li Junyao will be unable to return to this body ever again.”

 

Since then, Rong XingLi was unable to think straight, let alone to fall asleep again. He tossed forth and back on his bed, until he couldn’t stand it anymore. 

 

Hence, he left for university earlier. No matter what, he wanted to avoid Ruo Chen. He felt guilty, very guilty.

 

That guy was serious about Li Junyao, but Rong XingLi was currently possessing the body. The feelings meant for the original soul were received by an imposter. It gave Rong XingLi a bitter aftertaste. He was just doing his job, but his sense of morality told him, that he committed a crime. So, he sought out his family’s Jing Yi for mental support.

 

“Jing Yi~ I’m not a swindler, right? I don’t have to feel bad for deceiving Ruo Chen or did I already go astray? Where is my chicken soup!!”

 

“Ding— Host can rest assured. The original soul already passed the ownership of his persona to host,” replied Jing Yi mildly.

 

“That’s not the point.” RX sighed, his family’s Jing Yi was neglectful towards the emotional side at times. “Forget it, I’ll get over it. I already started it, so I will see it through to the end ba!”

 

Sitting the lecture with all the lingo suffocated him even more. So he decided to walk around the area and buy some medication, since his inhalator filling was running out.

 

Just as he left the pharmacy, he bumped into someone, that person seemed to be familiar.

 

Sure enough, his next sentence confirmed his identity. 

 

“Sorry, I was in a rush and didn’t see you. Wait, aren’t you Li Junyao? It’s me Ruo Heng! Long-time no see!”

 

Rong XingLi was genuinely puzzled. Ruo Heng suddenly recognized him as Li Junyao, even though he was just a random junior the last time. How could Ruo Heng believe, that he won’t get exposed with such a bad performance? 

 

Nonetheless, he played along. At least he had to figure out the others intention.

 

“Ruo Heng… wait, help me remember, when was the last time we met ba? Was it at some kind of event, or…”

 

The corner of Ruo Heng’s smile twitched. Hateful bastard! Don’t play dumb, you already did a number on me back in the mall. You know who I am!

 

“The engagement party between Ruo Chen and your sister Li Mengyao. Although we only exchanged a brief greeting, we both were more outsiders than insiders, therefore I felt some congeniality ba,” Ruo Heng cut him short, he didn’t want to waste any more time.

 

Rong XingLi didn’t believe one bit of his bullshit and confirmed the truth with Jing Yi.

 

“And?” asked he his family’s system.

 

“Ding— Ruo Heng greeted the original soul out of obligatory courtesy and ignored the latter afterward. When Li Junyao accused the Ruo family in public and got taken away by the security, Ruo Heng only watched Ruo Chen’s humiliation with delight,” Jing Yi perceived its host thoughts and replied dutifully.

 

“Yep, like I thought, total scum.“ Rong XingLi was very pleased with Jing Yi’s efficiency. As long as it wasn’t related to his emotional well-being, his family’s system was unbeatable.

 

Even though Ruo Heng was asking for a punch into the face, Rong XingLi simply jumped on board.

 

“Ai, no wonder I couldn’t remember you! My mind was totally focused on Ruo Chen and my sister’s engagement back then. I filtered out everything unnecessary ba. Good thing, that it was called off and there will be no talk about a future connection ever again.”

 

Ruo Heng coughed up some old blood. Rong XingLi successfully poked at his minority complex— insignificant, never on par with Ruo Chen and unable to get the woman he fancied.

 

“Haha, Li Junyao you are really a forgetful fellow ah.” Ruo Heng swallowed down the mouthful of blood and joked around. “How about a cup of tea to catch up on things ba?”

 

“Sure thing.” Rong XingLi easily agreed to his proposal.

 

They went into a quiet corner of a cafe and ordered something to drink. After some talk about trivial things, Ruo Heng probed and revealed a part of his plan.

 

“About Ruo Chen… I think you should keep your distance,” said Ruo Heng sorrowful.

 

You finally got to the crucial point! Daddy was waiting~

 

Rong XingLi put on an incredulous face as he acted, “What do you mean? Did he do something?”

 

Ruo Heng shook his head, there was a helpless expression on his face. “It’s not what he did, but what he is about to do! Look at this ba.” 

 

He took out his phone and showed Rong XingLi a picture. To be precise, it was a chat conversation between them brothers. The date stated, was shortly after the engagement party. 

 

“Li Junyao will pay for this humiliation. I won’t let him live a good life...?” Rong XingLi read out, what Ruo Chen wrote back then.

 

“I didn’t want to believe it at first, but he probably wants to harm you in some way. Also, he might be into some shady business. It’s just a matter of time, until he will bare his fangs at you ba!” Ruo Heng slandered Ruo Chen to the best of his abilities.

 

Rong XingLi was “shocked”, his pallor mirrored the emotional state he was in. Well, if he was the original clueless Li Junyao, then Ruo Heng would have indeed succeeded in swaying him.

 

“You...you are lying!” retorted the Rong XingLi weakly.

 

“It’s the truth! Why should I lie to you ba? Don’t you think his behavior is strange, he gradually changed after the engagement. Only people with secrets, will hide behind the upright mask,” argued Ruo Heng and showed more evidence.

 

Rong XingLi fell silent. His posture was slightly downcast with trembling lashes. The sharp peach blossom eyes closed tightly as he inhaled profoundly. Rong XingLi was one hundred percent invested in his breakdown act.

 

One, two, three, four, five,

The performance appears alive,

Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,

Then you can open your eyes again~

 

Under the misconception that he drifted them apart with his simple ploy, Ruo Heng tried to rope Li Junyao to his side. 

 

“Don’t worry, I have a plan to correct him back to the right path. It’s just, I need some assistance. Would you be willing to help me ba?”

 

“If Ruo Chen won’t be harmed, then I will gladly assist you!” declared Rong XingLi determinedly. 

 

Just like the proverb— the mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind2the mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind: to pursue a narrow gain while neglecting a greater danger. He will help Ruo Heng prey on Ruo Chen on the surface, but in reality, sabotage him while he is unaware.

 

They discussed the overall gist of the plan and then bid their farewells.

 

The part of Rong XingLi was simple, he only had to lure Ruo Chen into a certain room in Thousand Blossom Villa while everyone was distracted by the fireworks.

 

Thousand Blossom Villa— sounds familiar, where have I heard the name before…

 

Deep in thoughts, he strolled down the street back to the campus, until a familiar mechanical voice cleared his speculations.

 

“Ding— Thousand Blossom Villa is the Ruo Clan’s main building, where the official engagement party took place. Two weeks from now another family gathering will be held there,” informed Jing Yi calmly. 

 

Rong XingLi had an enlightenment. “Since it is like this, all I have to do, is avoiding that place.”

 

“Ding— Host, avoiding the next event is not possible.”

 

“Why?” asked Rong XingLi perplexed.

 

“Ding— It’s the Ruo family’s gathering, where Li Junyao should have poisoned Ruo Chen, but took it himself instead. It’s an important plot event. Without the interference of a third party, the world’s law will try to repair the plot to the original timeline and somebody else might die instead of Li Junyao,” explained Jing Yi emphatically.

 

The revelation stunned Rong XingLi. If Ruo Chen would end up as cannon fodder, then he doesn’t dare imagine the consequences. “Seems like I have no other choice,” admitted he.

 

By the time he arrived at his destination, the campus looked like a hurricane swept over it. In the short span of two hours, nasty photos and rumors stirred up the students. 

 

The person in focus was Zhang Ze!

 

Drugs, illicit affairs, body-selling, plagiarism, cheating and other slanders were pinned on his head. The pictures displayed together with the blackboard announcement portrayed him like a thug with a loose belt.

 

Rong XingLi, who saw those posters hung up all over the vicinity, ripped them off, as soon as he spotted one. Anybody, who had the guts to obstruct him or gave a dumb comment, got a killing glare in response. 

 

Quarreling with every nobody would be meaningless, the university network was already flooded with gossip. 

 

Many were outraged by his “true” self and demanded him to be expelled and to break up with their goddess Li Mengyao. Those were mostly trolls or jealous people. 

 

Halfway on his purge, he met Li Mengyao. She looked apprehensive as another poster was torn off under her hands. The moment their gazes met, tears formed at the rim of her eyes. “Ah Jun...” uttered she between her faint sobs.

 

Rong XingLi instinctively went to her and gave her a comforting bear hug, “Everything’s alright. Only stupid people will believe that shit.” He coaxed her the whole afternoon until she calmed down and escorted her back to her dorm afterward. 

 

Out of consideration, Zhang Ze suggested to keep their distance for the time being. He definitely didn’t want to drag her down into the muddy water. However, Li Mengyao was upset by his decision, she wanted to stay by his side to show her unconditional support!

 

Rong XingLi sighed inwardly, that seemed like a scheme of someone and he already had a hunch of the identity of the mastermind.

 

When he got back home, Ruo Chen was waiting for him in the living room.

 

“Jun-er, where have you been so long?” asked Ruo Chen in casual home clothes. Without his tight and stiff clothes, he looked much kinder.

 

“Just talking to big sis, something bad happened to senior Zhang Ze,” replied Rong XingLi.

 

“Oh,” Ruo Chen paused and calmly took a sip of his tea, “Don’t worry, I already made preparations. The online threads are already cleaned. It’s only a matter of time until it’s forgotten.”

 

Rong XingLi raised his eyebrows in astonishment, “What will you do?”

 

Seeing his sweetheart’s impressed expression, Ruo Chen gave himself a thumbs up, for accepting Zhang Ze’s call and lending a hand.

 

“Nothing much, just showing up with him somewhere in public ba. If he is known as a friend of mine, they will think twice about slandering him again,” said Ruo Chen relaxed.

 

“Was it Ruo Heng?” asked Rong XingLi.

 

Ruo Chen’s pupils contracted as he murmured a nearly inaudible, “En.” 

 

Rong XingLi sat down on the sofa next to him. The latter felt his heartbeat speed up, but pretended to be unaffected.

 

“Will you bring senior to the Ruo family gathering in two weeks?” inquired Rong XingLi. 

 

Ruo Chen’s senses sharpened, he had a bad premonition. “En, why do you ask ba?”

 

“Take me with you ba.” Rong XingLi blinked his peach blossom eyes at the other male. 

 

“No! Never in this life,” snapped Ruo Chen back instantly. His heart stopped for a short moment and the colors left his handsome face. Cold blood flowed through his hands, as he grabbed Rong XingLi’s shoulders forcefully. How could he take his darling to that ill-fated place?!

 

He locked his fiery eyes onto Rong XingLi, as he interrogated, “Why do you want to go there? Where did this idea spark from and how do you know of this in the first place? You don’t like those superfluous gatherings at all! I’ll take you everywhere else, anytime, just stay at home this time!” 

 

Ruo Chen’s hands trembled nervously. Rong XingLi stared at the other’s distraught appearance, which reminded him of the incident in the parking lot, after they met Ruo Heng for the first time.

 

Seems like he wants to avoid Li Junyao’s death at all costs. Asking him directly might have been a mistake.

 

A sigh escaped Rong XingLi’s lips, the last time Ruo Chen was bewildered and fossilized to the point of fainting, was most likely also because of Li Junyao. With his current emotional instability, Rong XingLi had to tackle the matter differently. 

 

He clutched Ruo Chen’s wrist and looked deeply into his eyes with mellow appreciation.

 

“Chen,” called he softly, “calm down.”

 

Ruo Chen felt the warmth of the other’s hands and loosened his grip. The soothing voice alleviated his tension and brought back his reasoning.

 

“I’m, I’m sorry. Work piled up and I overreacted. But it will be really unpleasant for you. They are friendly on the surface, but belittle you as soon as you show them their back. I don’t want you to get hurt,” emphasized he pleadingly.

 

“En, I know,” replied Rong XingLi, “However, I have to go. There is something, I must achieve. If you don’t take me with you, I will find another way in.”

Kudos for professional writers, who spit out 8000 words a day! I'm struggling with a weekly update and I'm barely writing for two months. Almost didn't make it, haha. Ah, real life is a needy lover QAQ

28