1.17 Rise of moral integrity, rehabilitate the slag Male Lead and strike for rebirth!
961 10 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Illustrations are hidden in spoiler tags

His body felt light or should he say formless?

Rong XingLi was back to the space, where he first met Jing Yi.

He looked around and saw nothing except white. There were no limbs, only the cotton candy body out of light, that he could call his own. Seeing this sorry state Rong XingLi began to wonder, if he will ever be human-shaped again. Maybe he will be doomed to be a ball whenever he is in his soul form. In that case, he should change his surname to Qiu1Qiu: ball, Qiu XingLi = Ball XingLi for the time being.

In is self-reflection a thought of misgiving actually crossed his mind.

Tsk, why did the tree suddenly crash down before us? The fine car is definitely wrecked. What a shame, it was a limited edition too.”

“Jing Yi, where are you? Oh~ my family’s system, don’t leave me alone in this ‘too cool for colors’ space. I’m going to be snowblind ah!”

He waited a while, but there was no answer.

“I really mean it!” announced he half-solemn, half-jokingly.

Still no answer, huh… Hng! Then I’m going to take a nap.

Thus, he shut his nonexisting eyes. As he tried to relax, he remembered the last happenings in the recent world.

Ruo Chen and Zhang Ze lost their conscience immediately, after they avoided a direct crash in the last minute. Zhang Ze had suffered some bruises and scratches as well as a concussion, which knocked him out. Given the situation, the degree was rather mild. Rong XingLi was mostly unharmed, because Ruo Chen fended off most of the impact for him.

However, Ruo Chen bled a lot and had several broken ribs in conclusion. Rong XingLi tried his best to stop the bleeding, but he had no medical knowledge. By the time help arrived, he might’ve already turned into a corpse!

“Wake up Ruo Chen!”

“You just got rid of your abusive stepmother and secured your position as successor!”

“Don’t you dare to cross the yellow river now!”

“Chen!”

Ruo Chen wouldn’t wake up, even calling him by his first name was useless. His only option was Jing Yi, who answered dutifully.

“Ding— Host can save the individual Ruo Chen in exchange for the remaining soul energy in the current body.”

“Using all of the energy means, that host has to leave the current world and will be unable to complete the remaining tasks. Does host wish to proceed?” asked Jing Yi back then.

“En, if he dies now, my mission will fail anyway,” concluded Rong XingLi calmly in the face of an emergency.

“Ding— Choice confirmed. Initiate the healing process. Host will transfer out of the body in 297 seconds. Please prepare to depart.”

Everything was settled and Rong XingLi stole a last glance at Ruo Chen with very complicated feelings. He didn’t know what to say.

At long last, he relayed his heartfelt thoughts to him, “Thank you, you are not a bad person after all.”

“Life with a smile on your face. And...”

“Goodbye, Chen...”

Whether Ruo Chen heard his words or not, Rong XingLi couldn’t tell. The transfer began and he lost his conscience. The next thing he saw, was the seemingly vast and void space.

Being alone in a completely white room might sound cold and depressing, but Rong XingLi didn’t felt uncomfortable at all. If he would have to describe it, then he would even consider calling it clean and cozy.

With nothing else to do, Rong XingLi indulged himself lazily into the peacefulness of this mysterious place. An indefinite period of time ticked by, when he heard a small voice calling for him.

“Um, are you task taker Rong XingLi by chance?” asked a rather familiar voice carefully.

Cotton candy ball Rong XingLi jumped up and bounced to the teenage looking boy. He wore white traditional chinese hanfu with a red outer garment.

Rong XingLi recognized his face immediately, it was the same, he used these past few months!

“Li Junyao is that you?! I thought you already entered the cycle of incarnation ah! How have you been? What did you do all the time? Where are my manners ah. That’s right, I’m Rong XingLi, the actor for your tasks. About the mission… I’m sorry, I couldn’t fulfill your wishes...” admitted Rong XingLi guiltily.

Li Junyao was a bit overwhelmed by the sudden intimacy. He flustered and slipped his words, “No, no, no! Senior is wrong, no, I mean senior did nothing wrong. It’s me, who set unreasonable requests ba.”

The bashful and humble appearance of Li Junyao made people sympathize with him. Rong XingLi was no exception. “Ah, such a good child. The world wronged you too much.”

Being so warmly received, Li Junyao felt even more embarrassed. As a result, he shook his head hastily, “It’s okay. The bad people got their punishment and my sister is happy. That’s more than I could have ever accomplish. Furthermore, those wishes weren’t without ulterior motive...”

The last sentence was nearly inaudible as it was spoken in a very slurred voice. Rong XingLi’s body fluctuated as a signal of his confusion. He asked, “Huh? Can you repeat the last sentence? I couldn’t hear it correctly.”

“There is nothing!” said Li Junyao immediately, while he waved his hand suspiciously. “More importantly, doesn’t senior want to see the evaluation of the last world ba?”

Rong XingLi naturally saw through his miserable acting, but didn’t inquire further. “Of course! But why are you giving out the evaluation, shouldn’t that be done by my system?”

“Um, Jing Yi had to take care of someone urgently, so he had me coming instead,” answered Li Junyao without a second thought.

Oh, who could he have met?” teased Rong XingLi curiously.

Li Junyao realized his mistake and stammered out a made-up story, “Um...ah! Did I say Jing Yi is taking care of someone? Naturally, it’s the other way around ah! Jing Yi is in maintenance, therefore out of order. Since I’m the employer of the mission, the announcement of the results fell into my responsibility ba.”

His panicked antics told Rong XingLi, that he was definitely hiding something. Maybe it was instructed by Jing Yi.

“Nah, whatever. Let’s talk about your business first.” Rong XingLi left the matter unsettled and turned to Li Junyao instead.

Gulp. Li Junyao had the feeling, that it was going to be a very awkward and embarrassing interrogation.

“Yes, Senior?” asked he hesitantly.

“Why did you change your wish midway?” Rong XingLi had a real headache because of it. Naturally, he wouldn’t let the chance to get an explanation slip from his round fluffiness.

Li Junyao pursed his lips slightly, with his gaze towards the ground, he confessed everything, “He… Ruo Chen seemed to have passed by here too. In exchange for his immediate rebirth to fulfill his desires, he gave up the right to reincarnate ever again. That’s why, I had to prevent him from attaining his wishes and annul the contract he made...”

“So it was like this.” Rong XingLi fluctuated in understanding. “Then, you probably didn’t know his deepest desire either... Was the revision of your wishes also the reason you couldn’t retake your body?”

“En,” Li Junyao nodded. “I also have to thank senior for making my hidden wish come true. Thinking back, my original second wish was a bit too old fashioned. It was unfair towards big sis.” He told the lie Jing Yi prepared for him.

“As long as you can see your shortcomings, you can do better ba!” encouraged Rong XingLi enthusiastically.

As a result, Li Junyao blushed. He definitely couldn’t tell this kind person, that his original second wish was out of jealousy. If Rong XingLi knew, that he didn’t want to share his crush with his sister or a double, then he would surely condemn him!

Thus, Li Junyao silently let Rong XingLi believe what he wanted. “En! Currently, I’m working part-time by guiding souls, before I can incarnate into my next life. Since I’m kind of in debt for making so many wishes, that’s why let me introduce the beginner guide to senior!”

“En, but don’t let yourself fooled so easily in your next life. That’s child labor ah!” protested Rong XingLi.

Li Junyao smiled helplessly as he explained the basic rules and general knowledge. Theoretically, he wasn’t a child anymore at the age of eighteen...

After listening, Rong XingLi was surprised by the new information he received.

Apparently, the white space was a special room for cultivation and the cozy feeling he got, came from soul energy. One of the rewards, he earned from the last world. He just needed to absorb it and with time, his soul form will change back to his original physical appearance. Moreover, he got a soul manual for cultivating soul energy, its method was much faster than his pretend-sleeping. He can even use fancy items and pills to boost his soul temporarily or permanently.

“If senior hasn’t got any more questions, then we will proceed with the evaluation,” suggested Li Junyao eagerly. Obviously, he also hadn’t seen the results yet.

Rong XingLi gave his approval and a screen lit up before them.

****

Mission evaluation

Given tasks:

  1. Get Ruo Chen married to anyone except Li Mengyao. (Replaced)
  2. Let Ruo Chen live, but don't let him attain his deepest desire. (Complete)
  3. Protect the chastity of the Li twins till they're married. (Cancelled)
  4. Find a suitable partner for Li Mengyao. (Complete)
  5. Hidden task— Don’t let the Li parents attain wealth through the Ruo clan. (Complete)

Completed tasks: (3/3)

Congratulations! Host has accomplished the first mission with a completion rate of 100%.

Given the degree of difficulty host has received special rewards. Please receive them from your assigned system.

****

Rong XingLi was stunned. The last task was complete, even though all he did, was dying...

He gazed at Li Junyao, who also had a complicated look on his face.

“Li Junyao, that…” Rong XingLi tried to comfort him, but at the same time, didn’t feel like it was appropriate.

Before he could continue his sentence, Li Junyao cut him off, “It’s okay, Senior. We just weren’t meant to be together in this life, no matter how many tries. More importantly, congratulations on getting a perfect score for the first mission!”

Rong XingLi sighed, “You are really a good child after all. Don’t fall for such a mean guy again ba! You definitely deserve better!”

“Hehe.” Li Junyao smiled bashfully, “It’s not like he was always a total jerk. Except in his delirious phases, he was just a vulnerable and lonely person…” Li Junyao’s eyes had a hint of melancholy reflected in them as he spoke of Ruo Chen.

Rong XingLi understood the meaning of this gaze all too well. Li Junyao still had feelings of longing for Ruo Chen, just like he had for that person.

They didn’t dwell too long on this matter and talked a bit about trivial things. When Li Junyao had to depart, Rong XingLi gave him a big bear hug or so he intended. It looked more like a ball of cotton candy bouncing towards and sticking on Li Junyao’s face. The boy returned the hug and whispered something to him. The ball of glowing fluff fluctuated for a short moment, but eventually regained his composure.

Rong XingLi watched as the boy disappeared and let out a weary sigh. “I guess, his deepest desire was you after all…”

Since there was nothing else to do, he continued to cultivate, until Jing Yi came back.

***

In some other cultivating space…

Blood-curdling screams of despair and pleas filled the surroundings, that was densely packed with soul energy. They even drowned the sound of steps coming nearer in the seemingly endless and void space.

Spoiler

[collapse]

The youth walked to the source of the noise. Unlike Li Junyao, he wore a more modern chinese suit styled uniform, but the distinctive red color was the same. One side of his slick hair was combed behind the ear. He stopped before the pitiful person at his feet and waited, but the person on the ground just continued to wail and writhe in pain.

The youth spoke, “Poor you…” and paused, “You even forgot how to absorb the soul energy.”

But the other person didn’t react in the slightest. Just a painful groan echoed.

“Do you recognize me?” asked the youth to no avail.

After a while of watching emotionless, he reprimanded, “Wake up. Remember that you are not really Ruo Chen. Just look at your soul appearance.”

“Huh, ngh...” The other totally ignored the youth’s words and panted heavily from the pain.

The youth gave up on persuading. Instead, he recited a string of names. “Does something in your head ring?”

The other person showed no reaction to any of the names.

Sigh~

The youth squatted down and looked profoundly at the man on the ground with his clean eyes, “So your soul is more damaged than I thought. But don’t worry, the next world will give you plenty of time to rest. For now, take this Qi Restoring Pill, it’s a present from your junior and will stabilize your soul. Don’t forget to pay him back later.”

Then he put his hand on the man’s back and helped him cultivate the densely packed soul energy to alleviate the pain.

“Just remember one thing, I, Jing Yi, will always be your ally.”

***

Pitter, patter...

Someone urgently ran across the whole place. His red-white hanfu combination fluttered in the air and left an unusual sight for the onlookers.

In their plane, time didn’t matter for the inhabitants. After all, only immortals and the already dead could dwell there, they had plenty of time. Therefore the scenario of someone working for the Yellow Emperor running so hastily was really out of place.

Two executors of the enforcement hall were leading a soul back to the right path, after said soul tried to escape. When the blurred afterimage of red and white went past them, the weary escapee suddenly flared up. “Wahhh! I don’t want to die!!!”

One executive was obviously annoyed by the other’s wailing, “Pei2Pei: sound of spitting/contempt! Can you man up? You’re already dead. Can’t you see the white hanfu you’re wearing ba? They’re exclusive for souls of the deceased!”

“Then what about the shadow boy just know?! He was wearing the same as me! I know it you just want to kill me ah! Help! He is trying to kill me!” shouted the reluctant soul.

The other executive couldn’t watch any longer and chipped in, “He is a special case ba. His mortal body is still alive, but he got punished for an offense a long time ago and can’t return. Now shut up. Your body is grilled thoroughly, after letting your phone slip into the bathtub ah. Be grateful, that you’re not naked!”

With a wave of his sleeve, the annoyance was silenced by a simple restriction spell.

The other executor was grateful for his colleague’s interference and at the same time curious. “Dage3Dage: eldest brother is that the rumored eternal part-timer? The one, who refused to promote to full-time employment no matter the conditions?”

The other was attaching a binding to the soul as he replied, “En. It’s strange, but he deliberately chose to do odd errand jobs, only to put off his next incarnation.”

“Eh? Except for this nutjob here,” he pointed his finger at the forcefully quieted soul, “Every soul is normally more than eager to incarnate ba!” exclaimed the younger executive.

“Don’t ask me. I don’t understand either ah!”

Meanwhile, not far away, a long and narrow boat swayed on the waterway path filled with the tears of the mourning and qi essence of yin-yang. On the fisher boat like gondola were only two passengers, the guide with his long paddle and the soul of a just passed away. Wherever they passed, a thick mist would form, so that the way back would be untraceable.

Creak~ Creak~

The little boat stopped at its destination and an old, haggard man stepped onto the ground of flatland. His hair was completely white and wrinkles, as well as age spots, stretched all over the visible skin. The guide adjusted his rice hat, which obstructed the view on his face and indicated the direction for the man to take. He pointed to a bridge approximately a hundred meters away, before disappearing into the mysterious mist.

It was the last travel every soul had to take, before reincarnation— the yellow spring road or rather the road to rebirth.

On that road, the soul would pass a bridge. Besides the bridge, there was high land, where they could peek at the real world one last time. On that highland, an old grandma would await them with her Meng Pao soup. After consuming a bowl of the forgetting soup, the cleansed soul will be sent off to their next life.

Since his desires were not fulfilled, Ruo Chen came back to this place, where all souls will end up eventually to incarnate. The converging point of beginning and end.

The first time he came here, he offered his soul to change his fate. As a result, he forgot everything about that place and fell into a hazy dream. It felt like he was back in his younger self and at the same time not. Only when his wishes were utterly destroyed, did he fully gain control over his body again. It was the moment, when Li Junyao’s body no longer possessed a soul and therefore would never wake up again.

Ruo Chen walked towards the bridge with great uncertainty. Neither his former overbearing aura nor his unshakable confidence could be traced as he conquered the spirit stream. He reckoned, that his Jun-er already went on to his next life. Maybe it was just selfish and wishful thinking, but he still hoped to meet his love again, that Li Junyao had waited for him.

The moment, he could talk to his Jun-er again, he would kneel down and beg for forgiveness of the two lifetimes he owned him. After that, he would confess everything— from his selfish feelings in his first life to his remorse after rebirth. If Li Junyao doesn’t kill him on the spot, he would let himself be judged by him. No matter the verdict, Ruo Chen wouldn’t question Li Junyao’s decision. His fate would lie in the hands of the boy. But only if his soul still lingered in this plane.

Ruo Chen calmly crossed the bridge, but hesitated to take the last step. It was only one step, but once he left the bridge, he couldn’t go back. His wrinkled hand clutched the handrail and his whole body stopped moving. His gaze wandered back to the flatland, where he came from. Thin mist already gathered there.

What if Jun-er is still somewhere on the other side? He could have lost his way or just ran a bit late… but if he’s already on the highland, wouldn’t I let him wait unnecessarily for me? Arghhh, how can I even assume, that he is still here... Or should I go back “there” searching for him? But only the guide with his boat can take you back…

Several thoughts crossed his mind and he went back and forth on the bridge— two steps backward, half a step forward. Other souls would occasionally pass by and cast strange gazes at him. Some even seemed repulsed and avoided him. In the end, looks mattered everywhere, the afterlife not excluded. Even his male lead halo couldn’t make up for his deficits, he was simply long past his prime.

Ruo Chen didn’t really care though, he just stepped to the side staring at the yellow spring beneath, whenever another deceased wanted to cross the bridge. Time tickled by without someone passing.

Pitter, patter…

The sound of quick footsteps drew nearer and Ruo Chen prepared to move to the side, when the sound disappeared suddenly. He remained at his position, thinking that it was just his imagination.

In the tranquility of pure nature, he heard something relayed by the wind, “Chen...”

The soft tone and affectionate nature of the caller’s voice was something he heard too often in his dreams. “It can’t be…” he shook his head, “Now I’m even starting to get hallucinations…”

He just blurted out these words, when stomping feet could be heard from behind him, accompanied by some spiteful words, “Are you deaf, you old man?!”

Hearing someone directly insult him, Ruo Chen wanted to give the other party a good word from the older generation. He may be old, but not deaf enough to ignore this brazen young man!

But before he could even turn around, a rock hard head rammed into his back and two arms wrapped around his body. Warm energy began to spread through every ounce of his soul, originating from the soul behind him.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Too familiar!

Ruo Chen’s eyes widened in realization and his nose felt sour, he completely discarded the pain from the impact. He just wanted to turn over immediately and make sure, that it wasn't his imagination playing a joke on him.

As tears started to form at the rim of his eyes, the wrinkles all over his body mended out by the energy and he regained back his youthful appearance.

“Ju—”

“You big idiot!” Li Junyao interrupted him. “Who did you want to prove something?! My life for all your future lives? That, that... sniff, sniff… I, I wasn’t awking, sob… an waiding for me… sniff… all jhese years, dat… stu, pid… sob, sob…

Tears dripped without control and he couldn’t pronounce his words clearly. He just buried his head deeper into the other’s back.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Ruo Chen felt the damp patch on his back extend. His heart quivered so much, he just wanted to take his love into his embrace and never let go again.

“Jun-er, Jun-er, I’m sorry, it’s all my fault. I’m sorry, so don’t cry,” whispered he over and over. The big words he wanted to say, stuck in his throat and “sorry” was all he could utter.

His hands trembled terribly as he slowly grasped the warm hands around him. He pleaded, “Please turn over, let me see your face, let me hear your voice. Please don’t let this be one of my dreams.”

Sniff. No way… sniff... I look sho ugly wright now…” protested Li Junyao.

“Doesn’t matter to me. Won’t you show me your face ba?” Ruo Chen began to despair. After the accident he prayed on his knees every day, just to see him open his eyes one day. And now he is not even allowed to peek at his face? That’s too much of torture!

Li Junyao, in contrary, felt mocked by Ruo Chen’s words. His tears stopped instantly. “You said that I’m an unsightly and gloomy loser. Whenever we did it, you would always take me from behind and close your eyes while kissing me. Sniff. You clearly avoided looking at my face, even more, when I cried ah! I won’t let you look, especially with snot and tears running all over my face!” complained he indignantly. The way he got treated, clearly left a shadow in his heart.

Ruo Chen bit his lips to suppress the grief, he was feeling. A runny nose and tear smeared face was nothing! Why was his former teen self such a superficial, arrogant bastard?! It was clearly such a lovely face, yet he was too proud, back then, to admit. He obviously brought this misery upon himself.

Ruo Chen tried his best to coax him, “I was blind and foolish. Back then, I felt uncomfortable to look at you, not because of disgust, but because I was embarrassed. My heart would itch unbearably and it felt like, I couldn’t hide anything from you. I didn’t want you to know, that I was thoroughly smitten by you. In fact, I could stare at your face forever and still not get tired of it. Believe it or not, I watched over the sleeping you for years, I can describe all your features without looking ba! Now, won’t you let me gaze into your beautiful eyes?”

Li Junyao flustered and contemplated his words. The confession made him so happy, that he nearly gave in immediately. However, now, when he was thoroughly embarrassed, he wanted to show his face even less! “Hng. Then you don’t need to look at my messy face. Just imagine it... My older version was more refined and exquisite anyway ba.”

Hearing his darling’s words felt like a stone thrown at his own feet. His attempt to woo his wife back failed thoroughly. With no other option left, he used his restored vigor to forcefully free himself from his lover’s tight grip and turned around.

Spoiler

[collapse]

What he saw, were the surprised and watery peach blossom eyes of his memories. He was mesmerized silly and couldn’t avert his gaze.

The sudden action and followed silence unsettled Li Junyao. “Wh- what is— ah!”

It happened in the blink of an eye, Ruo Chen pulled him by the arm, put his right hand on the back of the other’s neck and drew their noses against each other.

Ruo Chen whispered, “You’re perfect for me…” before he placed his lips on Li Junyao’s.

Spoiler

[collapse]

“Mmhh… ngh… ah…”

Li Junyao’s mouth was sealed by the other’s smooth lips. He looked with widened eyes into the turquoise iris in front of him, which were full of bliss and contentment. The declaration of unwavering love whispered itself into Li Junyao’s soul and he slowly let himself fall into the mellow warmth before him.

They kissed for a long time and when they finally separated, the sound of rippling water generated by a paddle resounded. The soul guide, who tactfully left the whole time for the lovers to catch up, reminded them of their requisite departure to grandmother Meng.

Li Junyao waved at him full of gratitude, he shouted “Boss, thank you for letting me meet him unhindered and thank you for guiding me for so long. See you again…sniff.” His last words were a bit choked, since tears began to flow again. After he incarnated into his next life, he was bound to lose every memory of this magical place. Even reborn souls were no exception…

The guide touched his hat and nodded in acknowledgment and disappeared again.

Ruo Chen wiped away the tears from his darling’s cheeks and asked rather unwillingly, “Do you want to stay here?”

Li Junyao was a bit startled by his question and looked profoundly into his lover’s eyes. He shook his head, “There are many things, I want to do. Things I want to try in my next life and dreams I want to pursue. Will you accompany me?”

Ruo Chen felt relieved and nodded instantly, “En, wherever you go, I’ll come and find you.”

A bright smile formed with Li Junyao’s lips, “Then you can be my assistant, I’ll become a star actor just like senior Rong ba.”

Ruo Chen gently stroked his head, “Whatever you wish, my love.” He pasted a kiss on Li Junyao’s damp cheek and the latter blushed inevitably.

Without haste, the pair traveled together to old granny Meng. Side by side, while they exchanged sweet words to each other.

Sorry for the late update, life is hard without stockpiles 囧rz.

(*´艸`*) I hope it was satisfactory, after the tragic ending of chapter 16. The pitiful original souls get an happy ending in my novel, they shall not be neglected!

( °³°) Seems like some of you went on strike for an extra (haha, bad title pun)

It’s longer than usual, though you probably can not tell. By the way, I actually announce it, whenever there is an update on my profile page. You could follow me for notifications, since the new chapter alert isn't implemented yet. (But you can also hit the F5 button)

Bwahahaha! I wanted to do a simple illustration, but ended up with a short comic strip (complete version):

Spoiler

[collapse]

23