2.2 Raise of moral integrity, educate the slag Male Lead and struggle with misconceptions!
673 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Arc Cover

[collapse]

The first lesson with Fu Donglai went smoothly and Liu Nana was satisfied with Gao Qingxuan performance. He showed proper etiquette and studied virtuously. To her surprise, Fu Donglai proved to be well-versed in all kinds of areas, such a scholar was indeed qualified to be the imperial tutor. But she still wanted to observe him a little longer as her initial impression of him wasn't pleasant.

After the lesson ended, mother and child went back to Liu Nana's courtyard for a meal.

Gao Qingxuan walked back with a proud and steady posture worthy of a crown prince. His face didn't show the jumpiness usual children at his age possessed. It was aloof and focused, making him look mature, even a bit apathetic. However, as soon as the draft of mellow and sweet aroma reached his nose, his mouth watered involuntarily. The stiff expression was broken by two uplifting cheeks and a row of shiny white teeth. Describing Gao Qingxuan's face as a steamed meat bun wouldn't be wrong.

The personal maids of Liu Nana couldn't help feeling their heart melt by his simple and honest nature. Liu Nana was no exception, the amusement shown evidently on her face. If it was like usual, then it wouldn't even take a breath of time for Gao Qingxuan to sit in his seat and inquire about the dishes served.

But he didn't.

Liu Nana was quite astonished. Was her son possessed by some spirit? How could his temper change overnight without her knowledge!

"Qingxuan, do you feel unwell?" inquired she worrisome.

Gao Qingxuan didn't speak and just shook his head, pursing his lips. At this sight, Liu Nana became alarmed and signaled her head maid, who understood immediately.

"Young prince, today's dishes are freshly hunted pheasant and pickled radish as well as a newly created dessert," stated she calmly in order to pique Gao Qingxuan's interest. Those were all dishes he favored.

The little boy looked with a drooling mouth over, yet snapped out of his daze with just one blink of an eye. He shook his head again, "I do not wish to eat right now."

Liu Nana felt distressed. Just as she wanted to inquire about his reasoning, her son said with a pouting face, "I'm not hun—!"

Growl~

Before he could finish his sentence, his body traitorously proclaimed the opposite. His already puffed cheeks were inked peach red and his eyes became tearful out of shame.

The maids were immediately alarmed by this pitiful sight and averted their eyes. Their prince was timid yet proud. If they had continued to spectate the scene, then the little ancestor might hide in his chamber for an entire week sulking alone! In the worst case, he would avoid them until they had to leave their position.

Gao Qingxuan saw them tactfully turn around and silently bit his lips. His whole person emitted an aggrieved aura. Liu Nana sighed softly and sat down with him.

"Qingxuan, would you tell Imperial Mother your worries ma?" asked Liu Nana gently.

Gao Qingxuan looked at her with guilty eyes. With a very quiet voice, he spoke, "I forgot to feed the puppy..."

A flash of surprise glimmered on Liu Nana's face. Her son was always carefree and would casually overlook such things. That he showed concern for another being... it was a sign of him maturing. The thought of it, made Liu Nana smile unconsciously.

Perhaps, gifting Qingxuan a little pet to raise was a good idea.

Seeing his mother actually smiling, while he poured his heart out to her, made Gao Qingxuan quite unhappy. He blinked with his watery eyes at her, "...Will Imperial Mother take the puppy away? I promise to feed it properly from now on and bring my meal to it this instant ba!"

Liu Nana suppressed her chuckling and contemplated his question. When her husband brought back the dirty and hurt fox, she was very displeased. She knew her son. He was at a sensible age and got scared easily. If the cub hurt him by accident, she feared that it would affect his future negatively. But contrary to her doubts, the cub was extremely obedient and Gao Qingxuan already grew attached to it.

Liu Nana patted his head lovingly. "My silly child," she sighed, "If Qingxuan likes it, I won't take it away as long as it is docile ah."

Gao Qingxuan's eyes lit up like the stars in the night sky and his smile resembled the first sunray in the morning.

He answered, "En!"

Liu Nana looked at him entertained and continued, "Also, it's a little wild fox so Qingxuan can't call it puppy ba."

"Eh?" Gao Qingxuan was perplexed.

Liu Nana struck the iron while it was hot, "The fox, unlike a normal dog, is not domesticated. Thus, Qingxuan has to call it cub instead."

The little milkbun froze for a moment. The next sentence ultimately shattered Gao Qingxuan's little world.

"It may look similar to a puppy now, but it will change later ba."

Like seeing a ghost, Gao Qingxuan fell into a daze. His eyes widened and his round chin nearly touched the floor.

A fox was not a dog ah!

The name he painstakingly thought about in today's lesson was based on a dog's appearance and can't be used!

Gao Qingxuan remained silent for half a day and Liu Nana grew a bit uneasy. Did she perhaps hurt the self-esteem of her son? Just as she wanted to coax him, he glanced at her with solemn eyes.

"Are they very different?" asked Gao Qingxuan while frowning.

"Yes, foxes are very willful and shy. It may reject you and other animals, but that is their nature. They are wild animals after all," explained Liu Nana patiently.

The little prince held his face in his hands and spoke, "Oh, so it's different... Imperial Mother, will it be mad at me for calling it puppy before?"

Liu Nana chuckled. "Silly boy." As she pinched his plump cheek, the lecture continued, "It's young and doesn't understand you yet. However, in a few weeks, the cub might understand a few words. By then it will awaken its instincts and become shrewd."

Gao Qingxuan's ears perked up. His mother knew a lot of things and her stories were always interesting. He loved listening to her more than any study lessons.

Liu Nana was also happy to see him become lively again. After her explanation, she asked, "Qingxuan, do you have another question ma?"

"En! How does Imperial Mother know so much?"

A faint smile lingered on her lips. "If Qingxuan pursues his studies earnestly, then Qingxuan will eventually cultivate knowledge like Imperial Mother too," answered she mildly.

Gao Qingxuan secretly noted that down in his heart and swore to diligently study in the future. Rong XingLi, who still "studied" cat videos, was unaware that he indirectly caused a huge change. Later, Gao Qingxuan would be known and revered by thousands of scholars as the symbol of devotion and discipline.

"Then, Qingxuan will study and fulfill Imperial Mother's expectations!" said he with a determined tone.

Liu Nana involuntary smiled. "En. Now, we should sit down and take in some refreshments."

Gao Qingxuan nodded his head. On the way to the table, he was struck by lightning. Since his pet was actually a fox, the name must be adjusted. However, he didn't know the appearance of a real fox!

Like bitten by ants, he asked his mother about their appearance. After all, he still had to choose a suitable name for his fox. The crown prince's pet couldn't be left nameless, that would be a disgrace. Hence, he sat on the table listening to Liu Nana while thinking about pet names.

Gao Qingxuan thinking

[collapse]

Meanwhile, Consort Wei was still fuming with anger, because she was expelled from the study room. Liu Nana was mocking her. If she had a son herself, then she could stay freely for the sake of her child. It was a slap to her face for still being unable to bear a child for the emperor despite staying in the imperial harem for several years!

"Liu Nana, this arrogant woman!" scorned she through gritted teeth. Her hands twisted her handkerchief, nearly ripping it apart. If it wasn't for Liu Nana monopolizing the emperor, the imperial line would overflow with descendants. Consort Wei was convinced, that her looks and fertility was no worse than Liu Nana's. It was just the opportunity that she lacked. After all, she was the only woman in the imperial harem, who could compare with the empress in power and talent.

Similar to Liu Nana, Consort Wei was born as the legal daughter of the main wife of the Wei family, which was a seeded clan in the capital. The Wei family had brought forth a long list of outstanding and talented scholars. Furthermore, for generations, they operated in the shadows for the imperial family— information gathering and secret investigations. Their network of information reached into every corner of the land and could be considered as a national treasure.

It was supposed to be a peaceful era and the scholarly Wei family should've been favored. Thus, everyone thought the eldest daughter of the household ought to be the next empress. Until seven years ago, when the neighboring country started a blitzkrieg2blitzkrieg: method of warfare, annexation of another land through military attacks using speed, surprise and power to encircle the enemy troops and defeat them swiftly to avoid engaging into a total war against Huaxia3Huaxia: historical concept representing the Chinese nation and civilization..

Their number was overwhelming and the ambushes were ruthless. But thanks to the commander of the border army, Liu Nana's father, the soldiers withstood the vicious encirclement until reinforcements arrived. Both armies repelled the besiege of the enemy under his command. After that, he was a hero for the people and the reclining Liu household gained new momentum. As a result, Liu Nana was betrothed to Gao Qingxuan's father, who was the crown prince at that time and later ascended the throne as empress at his side.

Consort Wei held a grudge against Liu Nana since then. She, the dignified first daughter of the Wei household was not only robbed of her position as the empress, but she also had to endure the ridicule for being childless.

Crash!

Unable to contain her frustration any longer, Consort Wei tossed a flower pot to the floor.

The maid at her side didn't dare to utter a word. She was already accustomed to her madam's temper and simply moved her hands busily to arrange some refreshments.

As she served tea for her lady a servant boy brought a letter. The moment, Consort Wei received it, she dismissed everyone and read the letter from her uncle away from the eyes of others.

After a while, a devious smile decorated her face and she began to write her reply...

In another room, bored to death and unable to move, a grayish furball lay motionless in the warm basket prepared for him. Rong XingLi kept staring at the door, waiting for it to be opened by the little boy.

"Ne, Jing Yi, where is the milkbun right now?" asked Rong XingLi with a yawn.

"Ding— The male lead and the empress are heading this way," replied Jing Yi mildly.

The tiny ears fluttered in excitement and Rong XingLi rubbed his body against the cotton pads laid around him. His fur looked especially fluffy after this simple trick.

When the door opened, a fuzzy ball greeted the prince and a pair of orange marble eyes met Gao Qingxuan's view. The eye contact only lasted for a brief moment, before Gao Qingxuan averted his gaze. Subsequently, the little coward hid behind his mother out of reflex.

Mother and child drew closer step by step to the small animal. In response, Rong XingLi dropped his head and tail into his basket looking awfully endearing.

Gao Qingxuan, who saw the small fox not moving, felt his self-confidence tremendously climbing up. Without Liu Nana prodding him, the little ancestor approached his obedient pet. He reached out his hand to pat the tiny creature, but stopped a hairbreadth in front of Rong XingLi's head. Nervosity was written all over his face.

The simple action, that shouldn't take much consideration, was made into a life-changing battle by Gao Qingxuan. Even Rong XingLi felt the tension and his fur stood on end from the suspense.

At this rate, he'll just run away again... It's a matter of taking the initiative now or never! Boy, a man must do what a man has to do! Be prepared for my meng-attack!

That being decided, Rong XingLi tilted his head slightly and with a smooth motion delivered his head into Gao Qingxuan's palm. Both, Gao Qingxuan and Liu Nana were stunned by Rong XingLi's affectionate action. The former, fixed in his position, didn't know how to respond while Liu Nana worried, that the unnatural approach was the beginning of an attack.

It was indeed an attack, but not the aggressive kind Liu Nana feared.

Rong XingLi coquettishly rubbed his head against Gao Qingxuan's palm. His fur had a very soft texture and felt warm to the touch. Gao Qingxuan, who finally processed what happened, began to grin silly. His family's fox was so loveable ah!

"Imperial mother, imperial mother! The fox cub likes me! Let me keep it please!" Gao Qingxuan begged his mother with hopeful eyes.

Witnessing the beautiful sight of animal and child bonding shortly after their first meeting, how could Liu Nana not agree? Thus, Rong XingLi successfully secured his position as the crown prince's pet and Gao Qingxuan finally had a companion in this lonely palace.

Since the little worrywart finally had the word of his mother, he wholeheartedly devoted his attention to the cub at hand. At first, Rong XingLi took the initiative to rub his fluffy body into the boy's palm and even licked his fingers like a starving kitten. He used his body to sell meng without reservation.

The coarse tongue tickled Gao Qingxuan. Involuntarily he started to chuckle and shred off any qualms of touching Rong XingLi. Soon, pet and owner cuddled with each other as if they had known one another for years already. The lively giggles didn't stop for even a moment.

Liu Nana watched everything from the sidelines astonished. The two were a perfect match and it seems, that all the misgivings she had, were needless overprotection. Though she indulged Gao Qingxuan very much, substituting for a friend was impossible for her. Finding a playmate and study companion for her son was something she considered for a long time already. Unfortunately, there wasn't a suitable candidate amongst the minister's households.

She always had the impression, that Gao Qingxuan was a quiet and timid child by nature. Thinking, that he preferred to be alone. However, it only took the little gray ball of wool two days to bring out the real Gao Qingxuan— a cheerful boy who wanted company all this time. Her heart arched remembering the past figure of her son pretending to be unaffected. That fox was a gift from the heavens!

Unaware, that he was already highly valued by Liu Nana and deemed as indispensable, Rong XingLi lolled in Gao Qingxuan's embrace showing his white tummy. His paws were cutely lifted towards the boy while he occasionally tilted his head to look with his orange beads at the other, whenever Gao Qingxuan would stop crawling his belly.

A certain system, who played dead until now, wondered if Rong XingLi's acting was sheer brilliant or a reason to worry. There wasn't a moment reservation or awkwardness before his host got into the role. Not only was the execution flawless; it was utterly shameless. Rong XingLi copied the meng antics of his four-legged colleagues from the videos they watched and used them to lure in a minor. Unable to watch his silly host any longer, Jing Yi reminded him of the main mission.

"Ding— Host, please remember to raise the male lead into a remarkable human."

"I kneow~" purred Rong XingLi foolishly. There wasn't an ounce of his maturity, that ought to be there.

Jing Yi looked at the dotty fox imitating a clingy cat and lit a candle for all genuine specimens. His family's host destroyed the aloof image of foxes in a mere five minutes.

"Hehe, stop it ba. That tickles," tittered Gao Qingxuan. Rong XingLi stubbed his nose into the milkbun's rosy cheeks and his whiskers brushed against the tender jade skin. The latter felt a tingling sensation, while the former was electrocuted from shock.

"Jing Yi, Jing Yi! How can his cheek be so soft?! That's unscientific, how can ancient skincare defy modern science? It's smooth like a silk cushion, yet has the right amount of elasticity to pinch. Damn, I wish I had hands to squeeze those meat buns," tattled Rong XingLi on and on.

Jing Yi: ...

"Ding— Does host need any help?" asked Jing Yi unperturbed. A certain system pretended, that the last few seconds of the conversation never happened.

"No need, no need. I'll play a bit more with Qingxuan ah. Just look out for danger or something like— Ahh!"

Plop!

While shamelessly eating tofu of the little boy, Rong XingLi slipped and fell headfirst between the inner and outer layer of Gao Qingxuan's robe.

"Wah! Little fox where— Ah! No, hahaha!" The little ancestor was startled by Rong XingLi's sudden fall and flopped onto the floor too. However, he soon felt something warm wiggling in his clothes and began to snigger uncontrollably.

After a moment of fumbling in the dark, a black nose and disheveled gray fur found its way out of the sky blue fabric.

"Woah, everything around me is spinning... Darn, selling meng is such a high-risk profession!" stated Rong XingLi after his unplanned stunt.

Jing Yi only looked wordless at the stupidly-cute fuzzy ball, that was his host.

Distressed by the commotion, Liu Nana rushed to them and was overwhelmed with meng. Her son had a hearty smile pasted on his face while a tiny creature popped out of his clothes. Rong XingLi's fur was electrified through his movements in Gao Qingxuan's robe and he looked slightly confused. It was hilarious and adorable at the same time. Liu Nana had to exert a lot of willpower to not burst out into boisterous laughter.

With a sweep of her delicate hand, the little fox was put back into his basket. Gao Qingxuan jumped up on his feet and followed them. Both looked at the staggering wool ball. The corners of Liu Nana's mouth seemed to stuck uplifted and Gao Qingxuan giggled with his white teeth revealed.

Rong XingLi wobbled a few steps, before plumbing on his belly in defeat. "Argh, I give up! Yingyingying, my leg hurts. Why am I so pitiful ah? Tell me, Jing Yi," whined the human in fox pelt to his system, who remained silent.

Since he couldn't get compassion from his family's Jing Yi, Rong XingLi changed his target. He looked with moist eyes at the mother and son pair.

"Wuwuwuuu~" whimpered Rong XingLi weakly in pain. His injured leg ambled behind his body as he limped towards his owner.

Gao Qingxuan immediately patted the pitiful fox. The boy felt very sad, when he saw his first friend hurt and powerless. With an aggrieved expression, he took Rong XingLi into his embrace and carefully cooed him. "Ai, ai, don't be upset anymore little fox. You're now under my protection! This prince won't let you suffer ever again ba!"

A sense of gratitude overcame Rong XingLi. This promise was his ticket to a successful mission completion!

Boy, gramps is proud of you ah!

He genuinely felt relieved. As a result, he let his guard down and snuck deeper into Gao Qingxuan's warm, cozy embrace. After watching so many animal clips in one session, he felt tired. Foxes were nocturnal and Rong XingLi couldn't withstand the physical limitations of the body he possessed. Keeping awake till the afternoon was already like an all-nighter for him. Therefore, his eyelids dropped down as soon as he nestled in the protective arms. He curled up into a ball to ward off the passing cold of the unheated room. Since his tail wasn't voluminous enough to provide his whole body with heat, he quivered woefully until Gao Qingxuan covered him with a blanket.

At the side, Liu Nana observed the whole scene acute. Her ink-black eyes looked at the little fox with complicated feelings. How could such a trusting animal ever hurt her baby? It was feeble like glass and not able to survive on its own at all! A terrible thought flashed through her mind. If her husband hadn't brought the little cub back, wouldn't it be dead by now without its mother around?!

Unconsciously, her last defense crumbled in the face of Rong XingLi's cute and weak act. The eyes she used to look at him shifted from wariness to sympathy.

"Qingxuan, how about we let the little cub rest a bit ba. It's still injured and needs a lot of sleep," advised Liu Nana quietly as she didn't want to wake the peacefully sleeping cub.

"En, but... may Qingxuan take the fox cub into my chamber ma? It's so cold and lonely here..." requested he imploringly. To his surprise, his mother agreed and, just like that, Rong XingLi was "cubnapped" in his sleep.

All this time, a quiet observer in the shadows followed the interaction of the three persons in the room. Jing Yi considered any possible dangers, that could befall his host and concluded that they would be safe till the next morning. As for the leg injury... it was long healed with one of the miscellaneous pills! The only reason Rong XingLi needed some rest, was because he bounced around too much in his new body while watching over thousands of cat videos in compressed form!!

Therefore, the conscientious system went off to gather more information about the palace and the people, who went in and out.

 

Still any readers here?

Gao Qingxuan gets a lot of art lol.

The chapter is full of fluff and MC still has no name. Damn sleepy head, I'm jealous >.>

T's little Theater:

T: "Hello, it's me." *plays Adele*

New Reader: ( ・◇・)?

T: "Me! The author, call me tiaf!"

Old Reader: "Say what? 'tiaf'?"

T: "The insignificant artist failure!"

Readers (old+new): "..."

T: "The irresponsible author fiasco?"

R: ( ゚,_ゝ゚)

T: "Then how about— Time-management is a 'Fremdwort'1Fremdwort (german): (engl.=foreign word), something not in your vocabulary/ doesn't exist for you!"

R: ( ̄^ ̄)つ)゚∀゚)

T: "Okay, let's stick with 'T is absolutely Fujoshi' instead." ( ̄ω ̄)

[collapse]

Oh, human, I slandered away weeks not writing and drew instead. Ironically, I, of course, couldn't even make it in time for the contest deadline 。゚(TヮT)゚。

Some pictures to show that I wasn't just a lazy ass. Love cultivation novel art <3

Fanart 1

[collapse]

Fanart 2

[collapse]

Random question

Totally unrelated, but I'm doing kinktober (NOTHING FOR MINORS, OKAY!!) on my Twitter. Not sure, if I should upload the short, smutty story related to it on ao3. Still want to hold onto the bit of moral integrity left in me. (๑ˊ▵ॢˋ̥๑)

[collapse]

 

17