2.3 Raise of moral integrity, educate the slag Male Lead and struggle with favoritism!
581 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warm morning rays shone onto the gray and furry face. The moment Rong XingLi opened his eyes again, there was this sense of deja vu crawling up. He didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Once again, he climbed into the bed of the world's protagonist.

Just like in the last world, he fell asleep and woke up next to a sleeping male lead. But this time he was a pet and Gao Qingxuan was a cute child, so he didn't have to fear for his chastity.

"Jing Yi, what happened while I was out?" Rong XingLi asked in his head.

He waited, then asked again and got... no response.

At that point, he wanted to cry, he got abandoned just like that! With a heart full of grievances, the little four-legged animal looked around in his new environment.

Gao Qingxuan's chamber was very neat and warm. There were actually two braziers for heating on each side of the room, unlike the cold place Rong XingLi was before. Aside from the bed, there was a finely carved desk for studying, an ornamental paravent and a kanapee. Neither decorations or furnishings were lacking in splendor.

Rong XingLi only saw the money symbol spilling from everywhere. The pebble weighing down on his heart from being left alone by his family's system earlier was replaced by a solid rock of frustration. The little ancestor was already richer than he was at the end of his life!

Full of tears, Rong XingLi indignantly turned to the sleeping child. He wanted to scold the spoiled brat for growing up askew, of course, he could do so only inwardly.

Ink-black hair spread over the whole pillow and some disheveled strands covered the small forehead. Gao Qingxuan's cheeks were rosy and his expression was peaceful. There was even a faint smile on his face. Apparently, he had a very sweet dream.

Ahh, I forgive you. You're not like the big bastard Ruo Chen. Little boy, I lead you on the right track. So be obedient and listen to me, okay?

"En..." Gao Qingxuan murmured suddenly.

Rong XingLi nearly jumped back from shock, but dismissed the possibility of Gao Qingxuan responding to his thoughts very soon. It was absurd. Even if he blurted out his mind accidentally, there was no way the other party could understand his barking. Hence, Rong XingLi relaxed and decided to wait for the boy to wake up. It dawned already and Gao Qingxuan was bound to open his eyes soon. A curled furball reclined next to the sleeping beauty, gently watching over the boy.

Meanwhile, Jing Yi followed the nursemaid of Gao Qingxuan. She headed to the crown prince's chamber with a jug of warm water. Beside her were two teenage girls diligently following along with a new set of clothes and a box of accessories.

Knock, knock~

"Young Crown Prince, this servant will open the door now," Gao Qingxuan's maid announced before opening the door and heading straight to the little ancestor. She put down the jug, rolled up her sleeves and with a "Please forgive this servant" pulled away the quilt with one yank.

Rong XingLi was visibly caught off guard. While he waited for Gao Qingxuan to wake, he dozed off a little.

The maid easily overlooked the little cub on the dark blue quilt with the dim light. Thus, Rong XingLi flung to the edge off the bed and hit the frame with his back. Because he was midway his third spin, the world greeted him upside down as his butt stuck up in the air.

He got back onto his feet and looked with befuddled eyes around. Was he doomed to be flicked around on a daily basis?!

The f*ck, this grandfather isn't a stuntman! Wuwu, my back huuurts~

However, his pitiful whimpers were blatantly drowned by the hectic bustle around Gao Qingxuan. The boy was like a little puppet surrounded by three women. One held the drowsy child while the other two washed his face and groomed his hair.

Their movements were steady and fast. In the next moment, Gao Qingxuan already wore formal attire from head to toe. His hair was also neatly combed into a bun. The whole process lasted for the time it takes to brew a cup of tea1brewing tea: 10~15 minutes and Rong XingLi was impressed by their efficiency.

By the time they tied the ornamental ribbon around Gao Qingxuan's bun, the sleepyhead was finally clear-headed and frantically looked for something. Rong XingLi, who watched from the sidelines until now, had a bad foreboding.

After the boy detected him, he only saw Gao Qingxuan whispering something to his nursemaid, before the two teenage girls turned to him. The delicate girls appeared like giant predators to Rong XingLi as he was grabbed by the neck and tossed into a bowl for a bath.

Except for his wrapped leg, not one part of his body was spared. Rong XingLi faintly yelped, but it was to no avail.

"Help me!

"My skin is sensitive, be gentle ba!

"...hey! That's a private zone! Not so brash...ah..."

Jing Yi debated whether to show himself or not. Even though his host cried for help, the maids were overly cautious while handling him and the "victim" himself never stopped selling meng.

After the bath, Rong XingLi was wrapped into a towel and handed to the prince. With moist eyes, he looked at Gao Qingxuan as if the whole world wronged him.

The little boy wanted to comfort his friend, but he wasn't better off. While the maidservants decorated his head with his gown, he had to recite the courtesy rules, as well as the agenda, for today's festivities.

"Young Crown Prince, please remember to behave for the face of the imperial family," Gao Qingxuan's nursemaid reminded.

"En, Qingxuan will not disgrace Imperial Father and Mother."

Rong XingLi listened with sympathy to Gao Qingxuan and lamented with helplessness, "Sigh~ It's not easy being royal. Still a baby, yet already has to entertain the public ah..."

Unconsciously, Rong XingLi snuggled closer to the boy to soothe the stress and comfort him. The latter sensed Rong XingLi's approach and tightened his embrace. His family's fox was the best after all!

As Rong XingLi sold meng in bulk, he wondered, what festival are they actually talking about, and, where is my family's Jing Yi?

"Ding— System 01 is present right here and today's event is the Double Ninth Festival," Jing Yi replied calm and collective.

On the contrary, Rong XingLi stiffened from fright and nearly shrieked out loud. He never expected to get an answer. Furthermore, Jing Yi read his thoughts again!!

"Jing Yi!!!! Don't scare me like this! If you're here then greet me like any normal person does ba! Lurking around without saying something is a bad manner, you know. I was in dire straits, yet you didn't help me," Rong XingLi complained.

There was a slight pause.

"Ding— System 01 only just arrived." Jing Yi responded as if he didn't see his host getting tossed around earlier.

However, Rong XingLi wasn't dumb, "You paused!! Tell me the truth, you've been here for quite a long time, right?! Yingyingying, that was the second time you abandoned me and then you simply watched me getting bullied!"

Jing Yi was at a loss of words. His host threw a tantrum for the sake of throwing a tantrum. Maybe, the impact against the bed frame damaged quite a lot of brain cells. Thus, the mature system ignored the drama king.

"Ding— Jing Yi is not a living being, therefore, imposing human values on System 01 is impractical," Jing Yi stated rigidly.

Rong XingLi stopped his act at once and shot Jing Yi a meaningful look.

Only your sister would still believe that cheap lie ah!

But what could he do? Even if he could ignore the monk, he still had to give face to Buddha. Jing Yi was his almighty system and he was just a small fry at the end of the food chain. Thus, Rong XingLi resolutely decided to let bygones be bygones and sell meng to his golden thigh instead.

Said thigh was finally set free and took his pet to the main hall. Once they stepped through the door, Gao Qingxuan walked towards his parents. Rong XingLi was temporary put onto the floor.

"Qingxuan greets Emperor Father and Imperial Mother," Gao Qingxuan said as he bent forward for a bow. Every movement befitted the gracefulness of a prince. In correspondence, Rong XingLi also dropped down his head to the floor like a loyal subject. Those two together made an impression of children imitating their parents in a cutesy way.

Liu Nana was amused and her expression warmed up instantly. Beside her stood Gao Qingxuan's father with a delightful smile.

"Does Qingxuan like our present?" Gao Tianlu asked in a good mood.

Rong XingLi perked up his ears sharply. They were talking about him after all! His orange-colored eyes looked with expectation at the little boy, who slowly balanced back into his upright position.

Only Jing Yi already foresaw the awkward tragedy ahead.

With an innocent smile, Gao Qingxuan answered, "En. Qingxuan likes the fox cub very much! Kumquat has made Qingxuan very happy!"

Hmpf! Of course, I sold so much meng, that— Wait, who is Kumquat?!

Kumquat

[collapse]

Rong XingLi incredulously blinked at his little master, but the latter was caught up into the conversation with his parents and didn't realize the inquiry of the fluff ball on the floor.

"Qingxuan named it 'Kumquat'? Did your mother agree with it?" Gao Tianlu clarified with a neutral face. He glanced at his wife, who had "help" written on her face.

"Yes, I named it yesterday in the presence of Imperial Mother," the little boy confirmed with confidence.

The emperor profoundly studied his child's face again, before asking him, "Why did you choose this name?"

Rong XingLi scrutinized the expressions of the family and felt something off. Therefore, he pestered his family's system for answers.

"Jing Yi, why does this conversation seem stiff and awkward?"

"Ding— This world's male lead dislikes Kumquats very much and refuses to give them even a glance," Jing Yi explained flatly.

Rong XingLi wanted to flip a table. "I thought he liked me?! Why name me after a fruit he doesn't like?"

Jing Yi paused for half a day before giving a political answer, "Ding— Children sometimes do incomprehensible things."

Rong XingLi: "..."

There was some truth to it. But wasn't his family's system present when the little master named him? Shouldn't Jing Yi know something? That was clearly distracting tactics to hide him slacking off!

Rong XingLi shed some bitter tears and reluctantly accepted his new name. He even changed his race, what else could surprise him?

This naive thinking was soon shattered as children indeed do unpredictable things.

"I named it Kumquat because foxes have orange fur when they grow big ah," Gao Qingxuan explained with a smug face.

Both parents and a fox had an askew smile on their faces.

Little ancestor, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but... I'm a silver fox with black fur in the future ah! Please don't abandon me after knowing the truth!!!

Thus, Rong XingLi pleadingly turned to Liu Nana and Gao Tianlu, in the hope they would tell Gao Qingxuan.

Gao Tianlu coughed lightly before speaking neither fast nor slow, "My prince, how about giving him a more powerful name?"

The little boy was a bit perplexed. What was not good with Kumquat? He hated them, because of their bitter and sour taste. They were the most formidable opponent he could think of. Furthermore, he had to admit that their color was pretty and fit his mother's description of a fox. The longer he thought about it, the more he was convinced. For Gao Qingxuan, there couldn't exist a more fitting name ah! After a breath of time, he resolutely proclaimed his intention.

"Qingxuan chose Kumquat not only because of the color. Because Qingxuan wants to overcome his weaknesses and be as strong as Emperor Father, Qingxuan chose Kumquat ba!"

Gao Tianlu and Liu Nana wordlessly exchanged some glances. Outsiders did not know about their son's eating habits, but they were very clear on it. It wasn't simple dislike— he feared kumquats after eating a very bitter one in the past. He would pale just by hearing their name and avoid any talk about them.

Now he was actually trying to cure his dislike for kumquats by naming his beloved pet after them. Miraculously, it worked, therefore his parents decided to let the name stay as it was. Even though there was this little misunderstanding about colors.

While the parents came to a tacit decision, tears were streaming endlessly from Rong XingLi's eyes. He couldn't understand, why Gao Qingxuan's parents did not tell him about his pet's special traits. However, after looking back and forth, his gaze lingered on Gao Qingxuan's innocent face and he understood.

"Why must this devil be so angelic? They probably can't bear to destroy the little milkbun's illusion ah! So be it, call me Kumquat from now on Jing Yi and wish me luck. I hope he won't throw me out immediately, after knowing the truth. You never know with wilful second generations," Rong XingLi said in surrender.

"Ding— Custom titles are not enabled with the current system level," Jing Yi replied flatly.

"...Do you have to throw stones at me while I'm already lying down? Can't you tell me something good?" Rong XingLi yammered.

"Ding— Host's current body has kumquat-colored eyes," Jing Yi chimed in.

"Why didn't you say so earlier?? Laozi worried for nothing. Now, come at me little ancestor, I'll blink my eyes at you so that you will never forget them ba!" Rong XingLi was all pumped up. That was his new ray of hope he had to hold onto.

Never would he imagined that this casual remark would become a real headache later...

With Rong XingLi's new name officially approved by the highest instance of Huxia, the day's main event could finally start.

Since it was Double Ninth Festival, honoring the ancestors was the first thing on the agenda. Thus, Gao Qingxuan parted with his parents and went ahead to meet the Empress Dowager, who already headed to their final destination— the imperial garden. The little ancestor carried his pet around with eunuchs following them closely. It didn't take long to locate her. Full of enthusiasm, the little boy ran towards the elder.

"Qingxuan greets Imperial Grandmother and prays for a healthy and prosperous year. Please accept Qingxuan's respect." Gao Qingxuan held Rong XingLi in one hand and used the other to shook his grandmother's hand.

"En, grandmother accepts Qingxuan's piety. Now tell grandmother who that little thing in your other hand is ba?" She already heard from her son about the little fox, that her grandson took a liking to.

Gao Qingxuan puffed out his chest to proudly introduce Rong XingLi. He held the little cub in the air and faced him towards the elder. "Imperial Grandmother, this little fox is Qingxuan's new pet. Its name is Kumquat."

The Empress Dowager inspected the creature, which curled up into a cautious pose in fear of being dropped. Rong XingLi looked weak and precious as he cutely yawned towards the elder. While he blinked his wet eyes at her seemingly without any care, cold sweat ran down Rong XingLi's spine. The old lady wasn't the least bit moved by his act and gazed at him rather coldly.

Why does everybody like to stare at me? At least give me some pants ah!

After half a day's time, the old lady finally asked, "Did our prince tame the cub ma?"

Gao Qingxuan very self-satisfied proclaimed, "Of course! Qingxuan reached out Qingxuan's hand and Kumquat obeyed Qingxuan's command immediately ba. Kumquat likes Qingxuan soo much." The little boy opened his mouth wide and gestured with his hand to brag about his pet's unconditional love.

Both began to chuckle and together walked to the imperial garden. A stage was built there with musicians playing crisp and mellow tunes. It was perfect for chrysanthemum watching.

Rong XingLi screened the place with keen interest. Although he played in several historical movies in the past, the recreated set couldn't compare to the authentic thing.

As he looked around, Rong XingLi saw many new faces. Mostly women and some eunuchs. One beauty after beauty filled rows of seats around the stage. Each one of them posed like a flower touched by morning dew. They were most likely the imperial harem.

At the sight of the Empress Dowager and Gao Qingxuan, every woman greeted them respectfully. Some of them tried to gain favor and invited the pair to sit with them, but the elder declined perfunctorily and lead the little boy along. She didn't even seem to put all those shy flowers into her eyes at all— except for one woman.

"Consort Wei greets Empress Dowager. May mother-in-law have a healthy and prosperous year." Consort Wei bowed down half an arch. Every movement was smooth and elegant.

The elder smiled at Consort Wei full of tenderness, "Lift your head child, where do you sit I will accompany you ba."

Rong XingLi was perplexed at this scene, "Say, Jing Yi, who is that woman? She is treated completely different compared to the other concubines."

"Ding— Consort Wei is the wife Gao Tianlu impregnated in the original timeline," Jing Yi summarized briefly.

Rong XingLi inhaled a breath of cold air and stuck up his nose high to catch a glimpse of Consort Wei. She was approximately the same age as Liu Nana and her aura didn't lack in prestige. Just as he wanted to inquire more about her, the hands around him tightened. Gao Qingxuan felt uncomfortable, his posture was unnaturally stiff.

However, the two women around him didn't seem to perceive the change in Gao Qingxuan's mood. Without asking for his opinion, the helpless milkbun was dragged to Consort Wei's seat.

Rong XingLi frowned to the point of it being visible even through his fluffy fur. It was already eccentric enough for the Empress Dowager to mingle with the second wife. If the crown prince chose to sit with the imperial consort too instead of the empress, it was bound to create nasty rumors. He didn't believe that the Empress Dowager wasn't aware of that aspect. Furthermore, none of the eunuchs seemed to care either.

What the heck are they trying to pull off... Are they cooking up some conspiracy to shame my little master?

"Jing Yi, what are they playing here? Do you know anything?" Smelling something fishy, Rong XingLi asked his family's system for advice.

"Ding— Positive, the investigation report will be transmitted to host. Please prepare to receive the information," Jing Yi stated.

"Reliable as ever!" Rong XingLi praised.

While Rong XingLi slept due to his mental exhaustion, Jing Yi investigated the situation of the palace and uncovered a few inconsistencies with the given plot.

For one, he detected several suspicious exchanges between Consort Wei and a few eunuchs. They didn't number much, but the few were considerably powerful. Some of them were already old and accumulated connections with the high-ranking ministers, while others served the emperor in close proximity. With her influence in the palace and ambition it was rather peculiar— how could she only be mentioned neglectable in the summary, as the impregnated consort?

Furthermore, the Empress Dowager favored her more than Liu Nana! Don't underestimate the older generation. She still held a lot of esteem and owed a huge fortune, in short, she was a strong backer. But she hadn't any effect on the following events for some unknown reason.

Beside them, the emperor also seemed to deviate from the image of an unfaithful lover. The way he looked at Liu Nana clearly showed genuine affection.

While Rong XingLi wrecked his brain to find the missing clue, Gao Qingxuan looked nervously around to search for his mother. But his parents were both still occupied with something else and were nowhere to be seen.

What should I do Imperial Mother? Qingxuan followed Imperial Grandmother obediently, but Qingxuan doesn't want to sit with Consort Wei ah!

The little milkbun tried his best to slow them down, but he was easily pulled ahead by the elder and they nearly reached the seats designated to Consort Wei. Cold sweat transpired from Gao Qingxuan's hands and he glanced at the servants following them.

Despite the pleadings in his eyes, the eunuchs simply strode alongside. The little boy felt abandoned. Even though Consort Wei never wronged him in any way, he was told by his mother to keep his distance, but at the same time remain polite. But how could he avoid her without being rude ah!

Just as he wanted to break into wars, something in his arms let out a faint "choo."

Gao Qingxuan stared blankly at Rong XingLi and forgot to struggle. After a few more steps, there was another "achoo" coming from Rong XingLi. The adults couldn't hear it, but the little ancestor was convinced; something was wrong with his family's Kumquat!

"Imperial Grandmother, Imperial Grandmother ah! Please stop, Kumquat... Kumquat is not feeling well!"

Only then did the group of adults stop their parade and turned to the child in their midst. The Empress Dowager bend over to her grandson, while Consort Wei squinted at the milkbun with fleeting displeasure. However, she still forced a caring attitude and asked with a tender voice, "What concerns Young Crown Prince ma?"

The little boy suddenly felt strangely intimidated, but still voiced out his notion, "Kumquat is feeling unwell," and lifted Rong XingLi into the air, "Something is making him sneeze. Qingxuan has to seek Emperor Father for advice ba."

"The cub seems normal. Doesn't our Prince overreact ma?" the Empress Dowager doubted.

The surrounding eunuchs also peeked at the cub. Except for its extraordinary orange glassy eyes, which blinked cutely at them, nothing was amiss. Only Gao Qingxuan insisted that there was a problem.

What is this brat doing here stalling for time?!

Consort Wei was slightly irritated by Gao Qingxuan. She just wanted to take her seat quickly and glee at Liu Nana's contorted face, if she saw her son merrily sitting with another woman. Thus, she moved nearer to assure the little troublemaker.

That was exactly what Rong XingLi wanted.

Before Consort Wei could utter a word, the fluff ball began to sneeze as soon as she was in close proximity.

"Tchuu—"

All spectators were momentarily stunned, they looked for the source of the soft sternutation.

Gao Qingxuan: "It's Kumquat. Something is making him sneeze."

Consort Wei: "How could that be—"

Rong XingLi: "Achoo, chuu, tchuu~"

Gao Qingxuan: "See! My family's Kumquat is sneezing. Qingxuan has to seek help."

Consort Wei: ...

The onlookers gazed awkwardly at the milkbun, who blurted out whatever came to his mind. He didn't directly point his finger at Consort Wei nor denounced her. However, not only was the timing perfect, but the cub only began to sneeze when she drew closer. It was obvious, that the problem was her, or to be precise, her scent. To think that even a little animal would reject her...

Without further ado, the little ancestor cupped his hands at his grandmother and excused himself. "Qingxuan will seek Emperor Father for advice. May Imperial Grandmother enjoy the chrysanthemums with Consort Wei," he said and dashed out.

Consort Wei hid her dark expression behind a wry smile, while the elder shook her head in disapproval. The Young Crown Prince actually stood them up and prioritized his pet more ah!

Wow, what is that special occasion to have a new chapter? (❁°͈▵°͈)

O, I know. My pure and innocent mind flew away, I'm thoroughly corrupted now. ԅ╏ ˵ ⊚ ◡ ⊚ ˵ ╏┐

At this point, I want to thank my walnut brain for working so slow and my procrastinating nature for dragging it out. Just to appease you, some handsome guys I did in the meantime. (Don't look the hands, pls. We are all facecons!)

Special thanks to Rakel_Klein for reminding me to write! I needed that little push!

Look at the fanart I did for 'Rebirth of the Supreme Celestial Being'. The novel of great beauties and handsome gays ⁽͑˙˚̀༎˚́˙⁾̉

At this point, I want to thank my walnut brain for working so slow and my procrastinating nature for dragging it outFull size

[collapse]

Fanart of 'Reborn with an Old Enemy on the Day of our Marriage'

Full size

[collapse]

13