Chapter 6 : Irritating Sight
53 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where are we? Doesn't seem like a place with lots of people." Roderick said as he was walking alongside Jack as the descended from the ship's deck.

 

"It's where we get our supplies of seafood. It's the best there is!" The boy replied as he tidied up his scarf. The sun was scorching hot on that particular day, so the older man was wearing a thin-layered shirt. He then glanced at the young boy beside him and furrowed his brows.

 

"Isn't it really hot for you to wear that? It's unbelievably scorching today." Roderick said as the other crew members were unloading some empty crates into the shore.

 

Jack shook his head and his body partially, "Nope! It's fine wearing it like this! I don't feel hot at all!" He said with reassurance in his tone.

 

"... Alright, if you say so, kid." Roderick replied before he noticed the fully dressed captain walking down the thick wooden plank. His smile was as bright as ever, though Roderick would beg to differ.

 

"Hey, Jack! Hey, Rody!" Errat waved his hand over towards the duo.

 

"Not this idiot again" Roderick thought as he blankly stared at the captain before averting his gaze.

 

"Captain Errat!" Jack exclaimed before he saluted towards the older man, "Jack reporting for duty!" A chuckle came out of Errat's mouth as he ruffled the boy's short hair.

 

"Nice to see ya being excited, Jackie!" Errat grinned wide before he turned to look at Roderick, who was unamused by his presence as usual, "And nice to see ya accompanying the kid, Rody. What's the catch?~"

 

"...None of your God forsaken business. He came to me earlier, so I don't have any choice but to go along with him." Roderick said with a firm tone, it was as if the man hated to admit something towards the captain.

 

Errat chuckled before he tipped the edge of his pirate hat, "Well, if ya say so. I'm gonna do my own business then, call it a job for smooth talkers."

"From an idiot like you?" Roderick raised one of his brows as he side-glanced at Errat.

 

Errat smirked as he crossed his arms, "An idiot who has the good looks and charms. Just watch me do the dirty job, Rody." He winked towards the man, "Ya might find it interesting~"

 

Roderick rolled his eyes as he groaned, "Do whatever you want, I don't have the capability to give a damn. Unlike a certain idiot who's the captain of this certain ship."

 

Errat hummed as he shrugged his shoulders, "Heh, suit yourself then. I bet ya'll be regretting once ya see who I'm gonna talk to." He then turned his back, the clinking sounds of his belt and boots rang as he walked. The man was heading towards a cluster of rocks which was a little far from the shore.

 

Roderick crossed his arms and leaned against a palm tree, finding it as a savior from the scorching sun. His eyes watched as the idiotic man himself climbed on the rock and sat on top of it.

 

The Auburn-haired man then turned towards the boy beside him, "So, where's the fish market? We're going to get seafood, aren't we?" He asked.

 

"Hah! He said fish market!" One of the crews pointed towards Roderick and cackled. With some of the other crew members holding in their laugh. It made Roderick more vexed.

 

"What are you laughing at? Finding it funny to mock someone who's asking for idle questions?" Roderick responded with a grim tone and a frown.

 

Just then, an arm hooked around Roderick's shoulder, "There ain't any fish markets around here, lad! The captain's getting 'em fishes and shells himself!" Curtis answered as he pointed his finger towards the man dressing in his full captain robe who was sitting casually on top of the structured piles of rock.

 

Roderick furrowed his brows even more, "How? He doesn't have the equipment nor the proper clothing. How is he gonna do it? Drown himself so that the fishes feel pity to save him?"

 

"Ck, ck, ck, that's not how he does it. He only needs his face and mouth to do so. Just watch."

Roderick was unsatisfied with the answer but he decided to stay put and watch on how the idiotic captain 'catches' the fishes. At that moment, Errat took out what it seems to be a wooden flute from underneath his coat. He places the hole in front of his mouth as he took a deep breath before blowing into it.

 

A series of melodic, almost enchanting tunes came out of it. The sound was luring the listeners into a story of the seas. The slow waves crashing into the shore were complimenting the sounds of the flute. The other crew members were excited as they were on their toes. Looking like as if they were waiting for something to appear.

 

"...So he's playing the flute to attract the fishes," Roderick commented, unamused by the musical approach.

 

"Shh! Just watch!" Jack added as he watched the performance coming to an end.

 

Errat placed the flute beside him and chuckled, "And they should come around in just a bit." He talked to himself as he watched as the waters of the beach began to ripple. The ripple grew into bubbles as a few figures emerge from the seawater.

 

Dazzling, beautiful, and elegant faces of four women were there to be seen by the whole crew. They were almost like quadruplets, looking like one another. The crew members were whistling and roaring with excitement as the four new figures swam swiftly towards the rock where Errat was sitting.

 

It was then that the clog in Roderick's mind was plugged off, "Mermaids, aren't they?"

 

"You're correct, those four are Julia, Ulma, Eres, and Poli. Our girls for the job, they know the best quality of fishes around here. And they make the best fish stew!" Curtis chuckled.

 

Roderick hummed as he saw the four mermaids surrounded Errat almost instantly. With silly, goofy faces did they gaze at the man in front of them, "So what are we going to pay them? Itty bitty seashells?"

 

"Oh we don't have to pay in currency, our captain has the way to do it."

 

"How?"

 

"The way to a woman's heart, you impress them with your charms."

"Errat~ It's been so long since you came here. I thought you were possibly dead." Julia, the one with a sea conch as her hairpiece cooed as she laid her stomach on the rock. Wagging her tail in a coyish way.

 

Errat chuckled as he flashed a charming smile towards her, "I don't think I could possibly be dead if me dying would make a certain mermaid's heart broke, dearie. I rather be alive to see you again once I'm back here... Which is now~"

 

Julia giggled, "Gosh, you're such a tease~"

 

"Why can't you just be a merman, Errat? All of them are nothing compared to you. Ahh... How unfortunate..." Eres placed her hand on her cheek and lamented.

 

Errat then extended his hand and lifted the mermaid's chin and smirked, "And you're nothing compared to any girls I have seen on land. If there's a chance I could turn into a merman, I wish I could. Even if it costs me my own human heart. That is the length I would be willing to take for you~" He then winked at Eres as he brushed his hand against her cheek.

 

All of the mermaids sighed in admiration towards the flirts.

 

While one individual was unexpectedly annoyed by the scene, "Does he do it like this everytime you all visit here?"

 

"Yup, always," Curtis answered.

 

"In exchange for mere seafood?"

 

"The fishes have the best quality, don't be mistaken. Even high-class chefs would be dying to get their hands on it. We're that lucky, I suppose."

 

"...Guess I'm not needed then." Roderick prised Curtis's arm from his shoulder and walked towards the ship.

 

"Huh? Where are you going?" Jack asked.

 

"The ship, I'm going to take a nap. I'm sick of this weather." Roderick said as he made no attempt to stop walking. He kept walking towards the ship with a more irritated heart. More than how he felt whenever Errat decided to check in on him.

 

"...Those are some ugly mermaids... Ugliest ones I have ever seen in my whole entire life..."

3