Chapter 12 : Learning More
30 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Got the fishes and shells?" Curtis asked as he was next to a lit bonfire. The red and orange fiery light from the bonfire let Roderick saw the man.

 

"Right here," Roderick replied as he lowered the crate filled with various seafood on the sandy floor.

 

It was night time and the ship had docked on a small island for the night. As news of the hunt for the captain's head was heard in the winds at the town they were heading. So all of them decided to stay low and change course for their next journey. That, with the navigator discussing the outcome with Errat back on the ship.

 

While the rest of the crew members set up a bonfire on the shore to prepare their dinner.

 

"Tonight's gonna be grilled seafood!"

 

"Yayy! Seafood!" Jack happily jumped as he was excited to eat the freshly caught fishes, shells, and other sea creatures.

 

Roderick squatted down with another crew member as they examined the ingredients they were going to cook.

 

"Pink Snapper, Blue Cod, Sand Octopus." Roderick then noticed a bundle of familiar-looking shells. He then picked it up and raised his brows, "Oh, Golden Pearl Abalones, must be a lucky catch." He said before waving it towards the fleet's cook.

 

"Oh, we don't really eat those. We usually sell the shells because they're worth the Eurees." Curtis replies shortly as he walked towards the man.

 

Roderick furrowed his brows, "What, why? They're good when grilled."

 

"Well, as good as dead for the ones who ate it," Lawrence replied as he looked at Roderick and sided with Curtis.

 

"Every man on the ship who has eaten those are buried 6 feet under the ground, Roderick. You ate it before?" The cook tilted his head as he crossed his arms.

 

Roderick hesitated at answering first before he huffed through his nose and stood up while holding the sole shellfish in his hand, "If you know what part's poisonous, you can eat it safely." The man replied before he grabbed his dagger from his waist.

 

He then swiftly cut the mouth of the abalone with no hesitation. Then he squeezed the slimy skin of the shellfish and a pair of small sharp pointy teeth on his fingers.

 

Roderick then showed his crewmates the abalone's extracted part, "Here you have the source of the poison. The dark parts behind which is the digestive system is also edible, grill it with a bit of soy sauce and a bit of butter, it's savory." He explained.

 

Both Curtis and Lawrence widened their eyes on the knowledge from Roderick. The two men then looked at each other before staring at the Auburn-haired man with starry eyes.

 

"...Do you know anything more about seafood?"

 

"I have experiences preparing them, though I can't really cook them well. I only watch those who add the spices into the dish, not cooking it myself." Roderick replied.

 

Curtis smiled as he patted Roderick's back, "Well good to have an assistant cook on board with us!" He said with joy.

 

Roderick gave the cook a blank stare, "...Call me that and I won't help you remove the parts of the remaining abalones."

 

"Woah, woah, easy there, no need to get feisty on food!"

 

Back at the ship, Errat was with his trusty navigator, still discussing what to do.

 

"So if we came across the town of Helis, we can rest easy there. Those Imperial Army won't rest until they would find you since we took on the last request." Owen, the fleet's navigator said as Errat rubbed his chin in front of a big wooden board. Pinned on it was the map of the whole world of Altia, continents spread wide and seas enveloped the islands.

 

"Just because we stole the O'Persevies family's stock of Kull wood paper. Boy were they a sensitive crowd of people."

 

Owen gave a blank stare towards the captain and hummed, "Yeah, just because. Those papers are the best quality of their kind across Altia. Stealing it from a noble family would alarm the Imperial Army of course."

 

Errat chuckled as he scratched the back of his head, "All that's left is to get the skin of Guilon deer skin. The smoothest leather are always produced from 'em."

 

"If that's what we're after, then say no more than going from the town of Helis to the South Damoka. But it's best if we lay down for a few days before doing so, captain." Owen replied as he pinned the location with his finger.

 

Errat hummed and smiled widely, "Then that's settled! South Damoka's our next destination after Helis!"

 

Owen smiled as well but was confused as why the captain wanted to gather bundles of paper and leather. Since he joined the fleet - or picked up to be exact - not long before Roderick joined in, he doesn't know the captain like the older crew members onboard the ship.

 

"Uhh... may I ask why you're gathering these things, captain?"

 

Errat turned to look at the young teen and chuckled with a silly, goofy expression on his face, "Well, I got someone who's waiting for me back at my good, sweet hometown! I wanted to at least brought them something from my journeys."

 

Owen widened his eyes at the answer, "Oh? Is it someone very close to you?"

 

"Very, very close to me in fact!" Errat replied with a grin on his face as he put his hands on his hips.

 

Owen lightly blushed at an idea that just popped into his head, "Ah... I see..."

 

"Welp, now that's done let's check on our food then! Bet Curtis' makin' some good ol' grilled seafood!" Errat exclaimed before he rushed out of his office and ran down the ships' corridor. The young teenager rolled his eyes and smiled before he trailed behind the captain - with a more sophisticated way of walking out of the ship.

 

Errat then descended from the ship and instantly approached the bonfire. The man then saw Roderick cleaning some of the ingredients while Curtis was grilling them. The abalones that had been cleaned were skewered by sticks as they were engulfed in the flames to be cooked.

 

Upon smelling the fragrant smell of the abalones, the captain's stomach rumbled hard from his appetite. It attracted his crew member's attention as some of them let out burst of their peals of laughter at Errat.

 

Errat cheekily smiled as he looked at his crew, "Hey, what's so funny? A captain's gonna eat too! Been a long day ya know?"

 

"Yeah, yeah, your stomach's as big as a shark's, captain!" Curtis replied as he watches over the grilled food.

 

Roderick glared at Errat and frowned, "He better not hog up all of the food..." He muttered before handing the remaining cleaned abalones towards the cook. The man then stood up from his spot and stretched his arms out before sheathing his dagger back to its place.

 

Roderick then glanced at Errat and began to saunter off towards the further side of the shore. Errat watched as the man took some steps on the sandy floor, "Hey, where are ya goin'? The food's here!"

 

Roderick stopped in his tracks and turned his body sideways as he looked at Errat in the eyes, "...To catch some fresh air, the smoke's invading my lungs." He replied before continuing to walk as his boots left imprints of it on the sand.

 

Errat let out a sigh as he turned towards his crew members, "Welp, someone's gotta keep him company." He then turned to Curtis, "Tell me when's the food ready, won't you, Curt?"

 

The cook saluted and flipped over a skewer, "Aye, cap"

 

The silver-haired man then happily hopped towards where Roderick was heading. Following the man as if he was a newborn duckling following its mother.

 

Once he was in a more quiet place, Roderick slumped down on the sandy floor. He sat and stared at the starry night sky. He slowly took in the sea breeze into his lungs before exhaling it. He could feel the chill breeze surrounding him as he found tranquil.

 

Though the serene atmosphere was disturbed by a familiar voice.

 

"ROOODDYYY!!!"

 

Roderick's brows twitched as he made no attempt to turn his head towards the approaching man. Errat chuckled as he ran and slid along the sandy floor. Turning his body to the side as he arrived next to Roderick with a coy look on his face.

 

The older man smirked at Roderick, "Miss me much?~"

 

Roderick took a deep breath and exhaled it while he was frowning, "...No... And you look ridiculous like that..."

 

Errat laughed awkwardly as he fixed his position, "Why do ya have to break my fragile heart everytime I come to you?"

 

"...Because it's annoying."

 

Errat let out a sigh as he sat beside Roderick and looked at the stars dancing in the night's sky, "I saw those abalones Curtis is cooking, aren't those Golden Pearl abalones?"

 

Roderick glanced at Errat and raised a brow, "Yes, so?"

 

"Aren't those like... poisonous?" Errat whispered the last word as there was a worried look on his face.

 

"You just don't that the only toxic part is the teeth, you remove it, it's safe to eat. Simple as that." Roderick replied as he averted his gaze.

 

Errat chuckled, "Ya know, you've got quite the knowledge, Rody. I mean, ya taught the others how to benefit rice water. The floor of the dock is finally squeaky clean after so many years. And ya did some more here and there. Where did you learn all of that?" He asked as there was a smile filled with curiosity on his face.

 

Roderick was silent for a moment before he sighed, "...I just know..."

 

"Really? Come on, Rody." Errat lightly punched Roderick's arm and giggled, "Ya gotta tell me, it might be useful to me in the future~"

 

The other man then flattened his lips before hugging his legs, "...Housework, that's all..." Roderick replied shortly.

 

Errat hummed and rubbed his chin, "Ahh, housework... Can ya teach me?" He asked light-heartedly.

 

Roderick blankly stared at the captain, "What for? You're a captain"

 

"Yeah? It might save my life"

 

"...Housework doesn't save your life, idiot..." Roderick replied with a frown.

"But it can improve one's, 'ight?~" Errat replied as he winked towards the man beside him. He leaned his face and it was inches away from Roderick's.

 

There was light pinkish dust covering Roderick's cheeks. If only it was daytime, the captain might have caught it. And that's why Roderick was grateful for the dark night surrounding them.

 

Errat's ears then caught a distant shout calling towards him, he turned his head towards the direction of the voice, "Oh! Seems like dinner's ready!" He then jumped from his spot and stood up.

 

The captain then smiled from ear to ear as he looked down on Roderick, "You comin', Rody?"

 

"..." Roderick averted his gaze as he stood up and patted the sands off his trousers, "...Sure, why not? I was getting hungry anyway." As soon as he replied, his wrist was grabbed by Errat's hand. The next thing he knew, he was being dragged along the shore by the man.

 

"Then we gotta go before the food's gone!"

 

"H-Hey! Your grip's too tight!! Let go of my hand damn it!!"

 

"I'll let go when we got there!~"

 

"Urghh... DAMN YOU!!!"

1