Chapter 3
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A huge white trail of light flashed past Pon. Its colorful tail whipped the bunny man. Razor blade wind lashed on its furry body. Black blood spurted out of its wound.

“Bing!” shouted the white bird.

“I’m on it.” the red bird flew high and shoot fireballs from its opened mouth.

The bunny evaded the explosions at the same time grabbing its cleaver. It saw a huge boulder and kicked to propel itself away from the area. Zigzagging from the tree trunks and protruding boulders, it shot up above Pon.

“Watch out!” screamed the two birds.

A loud bang of metal created a wave of air that pushed the tree leaves away from the center.

The two huge birds fell from the sky and turned back to small ones.

“That hurt! Are you okay?” said the white dove to the pigeon.

“Curse him! We should’ve stopped him when we saw him. He means trouble!”

“I guess so but, should we look for him?”

“Of course, you dummy. He is one of them. I think he was looking for a material, like they always do.”

“He must be poor that he couldn’t afford mercenaries.” the white dove added. “Let’s go.”

The two birds flew towards Pon and the bunny man. The monster laid on its stomach atop a round object.

“A wok? Where did he get that?” thought the white dove.

“No it’s not. I think it’s a shield. And, his speed of casting is topnotch. Unheard of to be exact...  Let’s help him first.”

“I hope he’s alive. I thought he was going to go swoosh, whish, and kaboom! and yeah, a loud shield ‘sounds’ good too.”

The two birds radiated a light corresponding to their colors. A rope of white and red snaked towards the monster and shield, respectively. The white rope lifted the monster.

“Woah~” the dove whistled. “It sure got it worse than us.” The monster bled from all of its orifices.

“There he is!” The red rope on the other hand, lifted the shield. “Woah jin~ check this out. This weighs less than I expected.”

Pon curled into a ball. Surprisingly, he fit under the wok-shaped shield.

“Aw, so cute.” said the white dove. “I want a little brother like him.”

“What is wrong with you? You’re supposed to be the academy’s no. 1 student.”

The dove shrugged off the pigeon’s comment. “Shhh. He’s waking up.”

Soon Pon woke up from their chitchat.

“Good morning, little refiner.” greeted the dove. Pon tilted his head. The pigeon flew above him and shun him a gentle red light.

“He almost used up his vitality to cast that object. I gave him some of mine.”

“You should’ve said it to me. I’d be willing to give out my life for my little brother.”

“Ha-ha funny.” said the pigeon.

The white dove turned to look at Pon.“Come follow this big brother. Let’s go to the city for further check up for any ailments. I’ll provide you materials, free of charge. Just follow me onwards to greatness.”

Pon massaged his temples. “Where’s my stone?”

The red bird shook its head in surrender. “You’re hopeless.”

“... and you, you mean this?” she landed on top of the shield.

“Yeah.”

The white flew in front of Pon. “By the way, I am White Jin.” it pointed itself with its feathery wings. Then to the pigeon. “She is Fire Red Bing. You can call her big sister.”

“Whatever.” the pigeon rolled its eyes.

“Who are you?” asked Pon.

“Okay, I’ll repeat for you my little brother. I am --”

“What are you? All I know is that you’re a legendary bird but a talking bird must be extreme. I learned from mother that they don’t talk.”

The white dove Jin coughed. “Oh please, this big brother won’t fall from your flattery but, go on. Ask me anything.”

“Legendary birds, where are we going?”

“My little brother, we are about to exit the forest and soon we will see the majestic city of Targon.”

“Are there ‘clothes’ there? What about meat skewers? Dogs? Cats? What do you when you go to-”

“Woah! Easy there. We’re already here.”

The setting sun painted the wall of stone stretching far on both sides. Its height could triple an adult. An iron gate stood tall guarded with men holding a spear. Beside them are beasts. The two guards below have a lion and tiger with them. The patrolling guard on top has an eagle sitting on his gloved right arm.

“Beautiful, isn’t?” asked White Jin. “The gate was made of rare iron by the top five refiners of Targon city. It will shoot out spikes when a monster or dangerous enemy tries to enter the city. Clever isn’t?”

“Yeah. As if he’s listening.” Bing mocked.

Pon proceeded to talk to the guard with a lion. Bing flew past the lecturing Jin and approached the guard.

“Sir Li.”

“Ah, Miss Bing. Is this young man your companion?”

“... sort of. He’s a refiner. We found him while on a survey mission near the Wildlands.”

Li gasped when he heard the word. “Really? You must be tired from your journey. Come in.”

“Thank you, Sir Li.”

He nodded.

Bing loudened her voice while entering with Pon. “Someone’s going to be left behind.”

“Hey wait up! Pon! Why would you leave your big brother.” Jin flew in a flash.

***

The trio walked past food stalls, weapon shops, smithery, and garment shops. All the while, Pon drooled everytime they would pass a new one.

“Hey, they aren’t food.” Jin advised.

“Where’s your manners?”

“Oh!” Pon woke up from his stupor. “My bad.” he scratched the back of his head.

“By the way, I forgot to ask. How old are you Pon?”

“I’m turning 13 next month.”

“You’re pretty skilled despite your age. it could be on par with silver star refiners. Who taught you?”

“I-I… she… “ Pon halted his steps and his head drooped.

Pigeon Bing bumped White dove Jin. “Stop that!” she whispered. Then she looked at Pon. “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell us. Everyone keep their secrets, you know.”

Pon raised his head and nodded.

“Great! Now that is done. We are going to our beloved Animacra Academy.”

“... wait!” Jin added. “Along the way, I’d like to buy him skewered meat.”

“Really?” Pon asked joyfully.

Jin nodded.

***

“Sir Jin, Miss Bing. I’m sorry but I have to refuse your request.” a female guard bowed to them.

“No need for the apology. But what is wrong of him not entering? He’s a refiner.” Bing suggested.

“We searched our archive of registered Refiners and his name isn’t one of them.”

“Oh?” the two birds exclaimed in surprise.

Jin flew in front. “Then I would like to register him under my name.”

“Jin, really? Where’s your ‘genius’?”

The guard replied, “It’s not how it works sir. He can take the refining exam tomorrow if you wished sir. Just that he has to pay a fee.”

“I got no problem with money. I’ll sponsor him.”

“... said the starving animaker who couldn’t even feed himself. You know you need more resources than anyone just to stay at the top 1. And, part of the reason why we took a mission.”

“I have my ways.”

The guard couldn’t help but my smile. “That is great of you Sir Jin and Miss Bing. Now, I have to go back in my post.”

“Thank you.” they replied in unison.

“Hey Pon! My little brother.” the white dove sat on top of Pon’s head. “Open your hands and catch!” with a wave of his wings, three golden coins dropped from thin air. “I’m sorry that we can’t bring you inside. Go to an inn called Azure Blossom, you’ll have a discount if you mention my name. Also, sleep well because you’ll take a refiner exam tomorrow.”

Pon nodded. Tears started to well up in his eyes. “T-thank you!” he bowed.

“Aw~”

Bing bumped the white dove Jin again. “Stop that will ya? You’re creeping me out?”

“Okay. Anyways, we’ll get inside now.”

“See ya.” Bing added as they entered the intrinsically designed gate. Beyond it was a palace-like infrastructure that no one would imagine was a school.

0